Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,239 members, 7,815,324 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors (23883 Views)

FG Sacks 13 University Vice-Chancellors / Vice-chancellors Of Nigeria Universities (photos) / Federal Universities Should Re-open - Pro-chancellors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by semitunde: 6:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: What is LMAO? is that short hand for poverty of ideas?
What is the population of Finland?? under 6 million= less than Lagos State
What is the GDP per capita $36000 and Nigeria $1800 = 20 times that of Nigeria
Nigeria has a GDP per capita of $1800 = 270000 Naira . This is NOT all government money but the TOTAL ECONOMIC OUTPUT of the nation
Bear in Mind that the Federal Government has only a fraction of that(10%) e.g with its recent budget of 4 trillion = 26 666 Naira per citizen
Finland is 20 times richer than Nigeria.
The FG with a budget of 27000 Naira per citizen will subsidize petrol , give you free education,build roads and pay salaries

Your analogy is like an okada rider's son saying that he wants a Blackberry phone because Dangote's son has one

What I wrote which I hope you read before your unsolicited quote is clear.
Is there any country with a population of 100 million that offers free university education.
Of what relevance is oil to the discussion. FYI oil is less than 30% of our GDP and not all the revenue from oil goes to government
Is money derived from oil different from money derived from selling fish or chicken?
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PETR.RT.ZS
In 2010 1.5 million people were admitted to university .What is the annual cost of giving these people genuine education that will add value to them and society. What is the optimal ratio of Lecturer/student or are we just turning out so called "graduates" no better that secondary students. Can government afford to pay 500000 on 1.5 million students annually? Are they the only ones in the country?
It is shameful that we have adults who presumably have been to some kind of tertiary education program who cannot analyze logically.

How do you think Finland achieved its goals of high GDP with moderate population? Is it not through education? Same education that is free in their country? Is it by outsourcing every government responsibility, taking the glory of the success of such outsourcing while enriching themselves doing nothing?

Peopla like to see just one side of a story. I read in another thread that our government will quickly copy anything from the west that makes them lazy while contributing to their pockets; anything that requires responsibility and responsive governance is sniffed at.

A revolution is coming, it might not just be the palatable one we imagined.

6 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Dabss(m): 6:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko:
There is a difference between the COST and the PRICE of thing in this case fees as far as the UK is concerned. What I am talking about is the cost of providing the service by the provider. The fees for home students in England are subsidized partly and 100% in Scotland. I do not like to engage in arguments without facts. The issue is not about whether it would be nice for everyone to have university education. The issue is what does it cost to provide quality education and how many slots can we afford annually. If we decide we want to do that fine but we must budget for it. To admit 10000 people into a school designed for 1000 asking students to sit on the floor is self deception.
We must remember that students are not the only stakeholders.Employers are too.Even if we deceive students and their parents by awarding them degrees that do not pass muster can we deceive employers? Employment is competition. Do we not do our students a disservice if we allow them to acquire degrees that are clearly inferior to other degrees?
We must put a price on education and BUDGET for it then we will know what we caan and what we cannot afford that is how logical countries operate not on speculative guesses that "we ought to be able to" etc all of that is meaningless.
we get your point. Buut the problem is that after paying, nothing will change. Eg how has the money from petrol subsidy changed Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by princeonx: 6:34pm On Jul 06, 2014
risawhite263: I just bought a brand new Maserati after having made $8072 this past 4 weeks and just over 10k last month. This is the best and most financially rewarding job I’ve ever had. I actually started this few months ago and almost immediately started to bring home minimum $81 p/h. I use details from this webpage>

==========>>>>> WWW.MONEYKIN.COM

You are a bloody lie! Moreover, If you sabi secret to making money and you come here to tell us strangers, I won't listen bcox you be witch! Real human won't tell the secret of making money!

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by princeonx: 6:36pm On Jul 06, 2014
curiouslad: This kind of policy would effectively kill the middle class
Pls what income range is considered middle class in Nigeria?

Abi you just dey use English because you hear others speak am!

Middle class Ko! Angle class ni!!

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by erty6334(m): 6:41pm On Jul 06, 2014
Ghana hiphop Artist Castro and her girl frnd are feard dead at a place close to the Ada estuary. Castro and Asamoah Gyan booked Aqua Safari for 2 days ending 12 noon today after which they moved to Peace holiday. On reaching peace holiday, castro and the girlfrnd hired a jesky n started swiming. In the couse of the adventure, castro's girlfrnd who was not in life jacket fell behind into the water. In an attempt to save the girlfrnd, the jesky left them. Both castro n the girl frnd are no where to be found now.

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by musty001: 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2014
Ma Gush!
Dis pro-chancellor guys must b high on weed!
They can't even try it
they fit? Mtcheew!
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Tsam96(m): 6:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
SporaD8: Open a thread on it, and you will be addressed accordingly.
Methink its high time we destroy the destroyers.
Mod, please front page. This pieces of information concern everybody- students or parent.
my tots xcatli open a thred i am in support
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by dajeb(m): 6:50pm On Jul 06, 2014
They don come again o
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 06, 2014
semitunde:

How do you think Finland achieved its goals of high GDP with moderate population? Is it not through education? Same education that is free in their country? Is it by outsourcing every government responsibility, taking the glory of the success of such outsourcing while enriching themselves doing nothing?

Peopla like to see just one side of a story. I read in another thread that our government will quickly copy anything from the west that makes them lazy while contributing to their pockets; anything that requires responsibility and responsive governance is sniffed at.

A revolution is coming, it might not just be the palatable one we imagined.

And what are you Nigerians doing with that education that you have been getting?

We don't have the innovative industrial economy that Finland has because you Nigerian graduates leave university and go and work in offices.....rather than develop ideas based on the education you have.

And you all beg govt for more oil money.

You Nigerians.....

3 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 06, 2014
lafuria1: Sustainability is key, increased tuition and yet the quality doesn't improve rather the allowance of the lecturers would increase.

Most of the Universities are not helping themselves, they are ways to seek for money, Majorly through research grant. Bring up a good research idea and sell the idea to government and private companies to sponsor.

You measure quality of Universities by the quality of research project and papers published, would increase in tuition fees lead increase in more funded research projects? Answers appears no.

Lastly, with the economy level of Nigeria presently , including tuition will lead to lot of school drop out,. Ever wondered why there are students loans in the US and UK because they want to minimize students leaving because they can't afford it.
Their

And how do you bring your research idea into fruition? With the lab facilities that are 40 years behind western universities?

You Nigerians accuse your university lecturers of not being able to bring about good ideas. How can they.....when they don't have the facilities to produce such ideas?

And when the Govt told ASUU last year that there wasn't enough money....what did you expect?

No wonder the Pro-chancellors are now saying tuition fees......Govt has told them there isn't enough cash.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Maximus17(m): 6:59pm On Jul 06, 2014
Abeg, the one wey them dey collect bfr nw na wetin?? Cos I paid abt 44k during my finals at UNN last year.....so what are they saying?? Increment??
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko: What is LMAO? is that short hand for poverty of ideas?
What is the population of Finland?? under 6 million= less than Lagos State
What is the GDP per capita $36000 and Nigeria $1800 = 20 times that of Nigeria
Nigeria has a GDP per capita of $1800 = 270000 Naira . This is NOT all government money but the TOTAL ECONOMIC OUTPUT of the nation
Bear in Mind that the Federal Government has only a fraction of that(10%) e.g with its recent budget of 4 trillion = 26 666 Naira per citizen
Finland is 20 times richer than Nigeria.
The FG with a budget of 27000 Naira per citizen will subsidize petrol , give you free education,build roads and pay salaries

Your analogy is like an okada rider's son saying that he wants a Blackberry phone because Dangote's son has one

What I wrote which I hope you read before your unsolicited quote is clear.
Is there any country with a population of 100 million that offers free university education.
Of what relevance is oil to the discussion. FYI oil is less than 30% of our GDP and not all the revenue from oil goes to government
Is money derived from oil different from money derived from selling fish or chicken?
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PETR.RT.ZS
In 2010 1.5 million people were admitted to university .What is the annual cost of giving these people genuine education that will add value to them and society. What is the optimal ratio of Lecturer/student or are we just turning out so called "graduates" no better that secondary students. Can government afford to pay 500000 on 1.5 million students annually? Are they the only ones in the country?
It is shameful that we have adults who presumably have been to some kind of tertiary education program who cannot analyze logically.

Very very good post.

But most Nigerians don't get it...they think that we have billions of billions of naira hidden away....somewhere.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by henryobinna(m): 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
Apatheist:
A country with a tiny population makes more money than Nigeria. You must be proud of yourself.

No they won't. Even if you had 10 times that amount they'll still embezzle it.

Nigeria is more populated and has oil. All other things being equal we should be one of the richest nations on earth. A tiny country with the population of Edo state i# richer b] far a;d gives you millions in aid yearly. You should hang your head in shame.

What has population got to do with education?
With a small population they're many times richer. Now imagine them with our population.

Gdp is different from foreign income.
90% of your earnings is from oil.

No, but oil is more valuable and we have it in excess.
don't reply that nïgga

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by emmanuel77(m): 7:02pm On Jul 06, 2014
So the one we've been paying what is it called?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by myspnigeria: 7:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
who says they shldnt?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Caseless: 7:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
Tuition fee difernt frm school fee wey i de pay ma skool ni? I'm in a fed uni and i'v bn payin. Abi is dz happening to only us in our skool..ar we d only students paying tuition fees?
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by lilprinze: 7:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
smh 4 diz country called Nigeria
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
Maximus17: Abeg, the one wey them dey collect bfr nw na wetin?? Cos I paid abt 44k during my finals at UNN last year.....so what are they saying?? Increment??

What did you expect?

Last year ASUU went on strike. Part of the strike demands was that govt gives extra cash to the universities....to fund not only salaries...but also facilities.

GEJ, Mr Wike, and Mr Wogu told them that they did not have the money. Instead of the N3trillion offered in 2009.....they offered N1 trillion over 5 years. ASUU was forced to agree....and thus the journey to high fees was embarked upon.(Guess you are wishing ASUU held out instead of giving in so easy, huh?).

The truth of the matter is, corruption or no corruption.....there isn't enough money for Nigerian universities anymore. Or indeed any other tertiary institution. That is why ASUP is still on strike,and polys are closed.Mr Wike told the Senate a few months ago that they had actually agreed something with ASUP ages ago...but when the agreement was put in front of the Salaries and Wages Commission,it was rejected out of hand.

The truth of the matter is that we can no longer subsidize Nigerian tertiary education. We just don't have the money..

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by semitunde: 7:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
[sub][/sub]
bushdoc9919:

And what are you Nigerians doing with that education that you have been getting?

We don't have the innovative industrial economy that Finland has because you Nigerian graduates leave university and go and work in offices.....rather than develop ideas based on the education you have.

And you all beg govt for more oil money.

You Nigerians.....

You're mixing the priorities up. The way forward is not to cut off education to those who need it as a base for whatever aspiration they desire.

Nigeria just rebased its economy, it shows that non-oil sectors have contributed in large extents to the growth. This means that Nigerians are using whatever education they have to make a success of themselves, oil or not.

What has been the benefits for Nigerians from oil? Is it low fuel price? Constant electricity? Water supply? Good working environment? These are things more responsible economies take for granted. That we have come this far without govt help is a miracle that is not adduced to "begging for oil". Education has at least helped in this regard and you support that they take that out too?

Pray? While the govt hands off all these, what will they be doing? Why will our recurrent expenditure still be as high as 65% of our budget? In fact why will we still need a govt to rule and not lead us?

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 06, 2014
funny you.
SporaD8: Open a thread on it, and you will be addressed accordingly.
Methink its high time we destroy the destroyers.
Mod, please front page. This pieces of information concern everybody- students or parent.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Chidonc(m): 7:15pm On Jul 06, 2014
[quote author=iwonbaoko]Please name one country with a population over 100 million that gives free university education. Only one example please.NOTHING in this life is free.

LAST TIME I CHECKED YOUR DAD WAS A POLITICAL THIEF.

3 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by gebest: 7:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
If they kn they cannot handle 167 million nigerians, lets devide to 4 places. Afterall we too many sef.

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Larryupsy: 7:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
In as much I believe that education is expensive and its currently underfunded,introducing an outrageous tuition can never be the way out unless education will be taken out of the reach of the low class and middle class of the citizens of the country,A Gorvernment that will not subsidize education should be ready to subsidize other neccessities of life of the citizens.If we have to pay tuition,then we don't have to fuel our generators our government should definately fix our power,If we have to pay more for education then the economy must be robust,provide jobs for people with decent income,and should provide basic infrastructures for her citizens. Can't still fathom why a Gorvernment who took away subsidy on fuel promising to re-invest it back to the economy without any changes will still wan't to remove subsidy on education which is the right of every citizen.There is only one thing to this Government only wan't to free up money from education sector and have it embezzled

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 06, 2014
semitunde: [sub][/sub]

You're mixing the priorities up. The way forward is not to cut off education to those who need it as a base for whatever aspiration they desire.

The fact of the matter is that thanks to the Govt telling ASUU last year that they did not have any extra money for universities...increased fees became likely. Unless,we remove the fuel subsidy.

Nigeria just rebased its economy, it shows that non-oil sectors have contributed in large extents to the growth. This means that Nigerians are using whatever education they have to make a success of themselves, oil or not.

Rebased which economy? Calculate GDP per capita...and that rebasing looks like small change

We don't have a proper industrial economy....where we develop an idea and build an industry out of said idea.We just have telecoms industries which make money off foreign inventions. We do not manufacture any of the components that we use in our telecom industries at all, not even phones.

What has been the benefits for Nigerians from oil? Is it low fuel price? Constant electricity? Water supply? Good working environment? These are things more responsible economies take for granted. That we have come this far without govt help is a miracle that is not adduced to "begging for oil". Education has at least helped in this regard and you support that they take that put too

And the problem is that because Nigerians over dependent on oil...we do not manufacture the components needed for constant electricity,water supply etc...we import them at high prices.....and repair them at high prices too. We are underdeveloped because we rely too much on oil . (Read the article Pass the books,hold the oil for the reason why....link here ...http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunday/friedman-pass-the-books-hold-the-oil.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)

Plus,what do you think is an educated person? The problem is that you Nigerians think an educated person is someone with a university degree. Meanwhile, we have a scarcity of technicians because millions of Nigerian youth waste their money getting paper education...instead of getting a technical education. So we have millions with useless qualifications for office jobs......and very few technical people......people who actually help your economy grow.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by kdidi: 7:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
Our leaders make decision without considering the poor masses forgeting not all fingers are equal,we shld all not be surprised wen the fed govt will consider it cos na watin go make the poor, poor d most and the rich richer dem go quick consider
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by EasternLeopard: 7:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
bushdoc9919:

What did you expect?

Last year ASUU went on strike. Part of the strike demands was that govt gives extra cash to the universities....to fund not only salaries...but also facilities.

GEJ, Mr Wike, and Mr Wogu told them that they did not have the money. Instead of the N3trillion offered in 2009.....they offered N1 trillion over 5 years. ASUU was forced to agree....and thus the journey to high fees was embarked upon.(Guess you are wishing ASUU held out instead of giving in so easy, huh?).

The truth of the matter is, corruption or no corruption.....there isn't enough money for Nigerian universities anymore. Or indeed any other tertiary institution. That is why ASUP is still on strike,and polys are closed.Mr Wike told the Senate a few months ago that they had actually agreed something with ASUP ages ago...but when the agreement was put in front of the Salaries and Wages Commission,it was rejected out of hand.

The truth of the matter is that we can no longer subsidize Nigerian tertiary education. We just don't have the money..

Our educational system is faulty and no amount of money invested into it will rectify it.

If we teach students btw primary 1 - university level 2 on how things work, are produced and designed using real/computer videos through projectors or flat screens, the technological products that will be developed by these students when they get to the universities and patent by the universities will generate lots of money to fund the universities without increasing school fees.
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by kobonaire(m): 7:29pm On Jul 06, 2014
Pro-chancellors wan chop even more money
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by mannyiyke: 7:31pm On Jul 06, 2014
iwonbaoko:
I am sorry but your "mentality" as Fela would call it is low. You do not have the tools to debate this subject.
Your father should not just hang his head but hang himself
U're even d one dat has a warped mentality. I support Appartheist's points 100 percent. We've oil; we've it all, yet nothing is moving fine. It seems we're cursed with bad leaders whom u support foolishly with ur nonsensical argument dat doesn't hold water!

1 Like

Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:32pm On Jul 06, 2014
risawhite263: I just bought a brand new Maserati after having made $8072 this past 4 weeks and just over 10k last month. This is the best and most financially rewarding job I’ve ever had. I actually started this few months ago and almost immediately started to bring home minimum $81 p/h. I use details from this webpage>

==========>>>>> WWW.MONEYKIN.COM

No be only maserati. Bloody scammers
Re: Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors by toluene12: 7:37pm On Jul 06, 2014
Personally, I believe govt should stop subsidising university education heavily.
The few assistants govt should render are provision of scholarships, grants, non interest students loan, bursary, financial awards to indigent, brilliant or truly deserving students.
A lot of youths has no business in the university, and are better off learning vocational and technical skills.
As a developing nation the above is what we need, not all these inconsequential paper certificates.
Nigeria is seriously losing out on globalisation compared to asian countries and this is because we have a poor value supply-chain network.
We just cant convert crude raw materials/natural resources into finished products.
We export everything raw, and we import only finished goods.
Thus our inability to create jobs and the subsequent high unemployment
what we need in this country is more of technical education, vocational training and less of university certificates.
even in developed countries like u.k, their govt is placing emphasis on technical education
university education should be reserved for those interested in logic, research or innovation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ASUU Appeals Ruling, Says FG Has Declared War / Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello As LASU VC: Lagos Indigenes Allege Marginalisation / Boy Rescued After Being Thrown Away For Being A "Witch" Starts School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.