Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,627 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" (3195 Views)

First Impression And Unboxing Of The Boom J8 / See How Etisalat Now Inform You About Data Usage, Plan And Store / Tecno Camon C8 Full Unboxing And First Impression (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
Elvisten10: @op, you call 900kb 0.9mb . There are many downloading software that read that way. Also it should be data bundle as mentioned above. But if somebody asks how many mb did airtel give you and you replied 2048mb (that is 2gb) there is nothing wrong about it (regular talk). Somebody can choose to measure the length between two far points using inches, but it is more ideal to use yard or miles so as to ease things up and reduce the size of the number. Last bullet: Bits comes before bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, petabytes, exabytes, zettabytes, yottabytes, Brontobytes, etc.

The summary is that the unit we are discussing here is not called MB but data bundle. Simple.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by wasagu(m): 12:12pm On Jul 06, 2014
Lexusgs430:
Break into their server rooms, and change the system clocks. (break in @ 0700 and change clock to 0:00 hrs.
Send me some mb credit as appreciation.
How to do it pls?
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 12:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
Elvisten10: @op, you call 900kb 0.9mb . There are many downloading software that read that way. Also it should be data bundle as mentioned above. But if somebody asks how many mb did airtel give you and you replied 2048mb (that is 2gb) there is nothing wrong about it (regular talk). Somebody can choose to measure the length between two far points using inches, but it is more ideal to use yard or miles so as to ease things up and reduce the size of the number. Last bullet: Bits comes before bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, petabytes, exabytes, zettabytes, yottabytes, Brontobytes, etc.
you are not wrong my brother, Among all these data units you mentioned here, why did you decide to pick only megabyte (MB) to represent all of them irrespective of the size?
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 12:19pm On Jul 06, 2014
Rudebwoy:
The summary is that the unit we are discussing here is not called MB but data bundle. Simple.

Thank you my guy.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 12:31pm On Jul 06, 2014
Justiyke4u: Op is just a matter of semantics but let me ask u a question if mtn gives u free 15mb will u say mtn gave me free 15 data? U shud understand a phrase and the context it is used b4 u conclude and judge. Yes we agree is data then wat do u use to quantify the amount of data u av? 'May be Etisalat gave me 500 datas'.......... SMH. My point simply is u shud understand the context they r used. We know dat mb is a unit of data like free 500 megabytes of data, data in this context is capped and the measure is in either gb or mb so cant even use data alone like dat the way u r suggesting

simple English! "MTN gave me 15mb free data bundle"
"Etisalat gave me 500mb free data bundle.
note: "data" is plural, the singular form of it is called "datum"

so there is nothing like "datas"

again, since you know there are also kb, GB, etc why did you chose to use only mb?
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 12:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
leggo: Stfu
ignoramus no.1
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 06, 2014
you are preaching to the choir
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 12:37pm On Jul 06, 2014
tellwisdom: Op you are a very foolish boi. What should I do with this?? sad

only bigger fools do what you have just done.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 12:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
ahkenaten: quantity; mensuration unit
mass kilogramme
length meter
time seconds(we use hours too)
databundle bits (kb, mb,gb...)
so its a quantity..i can say..i travelled 10 kilometres today... remember i didnt say i travel a length of blah blah.... there is nothing wrong with saying i was given 2345mb....since mb is the unit.. its not neccesary to say i was given 2345mb databundle...infact the former is even more correct..nothing is wrong with the expression.

ok, if no amount is involved, what will you call it?

let me help you with the answer :

if you hear kilometre, mile, metres etc, it means you are talking DISTANCE .
if you hear lengh, width, height, circumference, diameter etc, it means you are talking DIMENSION.
If you hear dollar, Naira, Euro, pound etc, it means you are talking CURRENCY .
if you hear hour, minutes, seconds etc. it means you are talking TIME.

now if you hear byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte etc, it means you are talking what?

now you get the answer?

let me help you more: if bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabyte are involved, you are talking about DATA.
and when the DATA is for browsing the internet, it is called DATA BUNDLE!
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by leggo: 12:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
DjAndroid:
ignoramus no.1
see this alternate human insulting NL'ers who are wiser than he is. You better take your pathetic english class to the northeastern corner of shack you reside.

1 Like

Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 1:06pm On Jul 06, 2014
leggo: see this alternate human insulting NL'ers who are wiser than he is. You better take your pathetic english class to the northeastern corner of shack you reside.
grin fool! my English pathetic?
I don't waste my time on people like you.

#donewithyou.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by ahkenaten(m): 1:10pm On Jul 06, 2014
DjAndroid:

ok, if no amount is involved, what will you call it?

let me help you with the answer :

if you hear kilometre, mile, metres etc, it means you are talking DISTANCE .
if you hear lengh, width, height, circumference, diameter etc, it means you are talking DIMENSION.
If you hear dollar, Naira, Euro, pound etc, it means you are talking CURRENCY .
if you hear hour, minutes, seconds etc. it means you are talking TIME.

now if you hear byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte etc, it means you are talking what?

now you get the answer?
smh.. everything i said you repeated bro ... you cannot say i travelled 2000dimensions.. you cannot say i used up 2000times...you cannot say i used up 2000databundles... you mention the unit... and everybody knows what you are talking about... rather you say.. i travelled 2000km, i used 2000hours, i used 2000mb... thats why there are units in the first place...
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by leggo: 1:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
DjAndroid: grin fool! my English pathetic?
I don't waste my time on people like you.

#donewithyou.
simple comprehension evades you.. We all know your game plan; english class today , advertise a stolen phone tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by Justiyke4u: 2:01pm On Jul 06, 2014
DjAndroid:

simple English! "MTN gave me 15mb free data bundle"
"Etisalat gave me 500mb free data bundle.
note: "data" is plural, the singular form of it is called "datum"

so there is nothing like "datas"

again, since you know there are also kb, GB, etc why did you chose to use only mb?
i thought u said the use of mb or gb was wrong and u r now calling it data bundle as against data u previously alleged or are u just correcting ur correction
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by tellwisdom: 2:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
DjAndroid:

only bigger fools do what you have just done.

Omo ale jati jati who ought to have been washed off the drain before existence.

1 Like

Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by mumu9gerian: 2:35pm On Jul 06, 2014
Op,after reading through your post,i thought as much that this person must have just joined nairaland,Alas! i was right,you dont waste ur time posting this and then waste more time answering everyone who has a contrary opinion.
I guess ur point is made,leave it at that.

1 Like

Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by hemor(m): 3:36pm On Jul 06, 2014
whether u call it MB or data d most important thing is that the person you're talking to understands you.

I once asked a guy whether he had data on his phone buh he didn't understand what I was saying till I asked whether he had MB on his phone.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by halmeyd(m): 6:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
It doesnt matter wat u call it,it's understanding that matterz....Besides wats d difrenz btw data plan,data bundle and data?
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by biz2get(m): 7:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
Chai....

Wait....

Chai... Chai... Chai..

Wait.. The one we are going to use now is MB..

Chai...

Mmmm thats all.... wink
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 7:50pm On Jul 06, 2014
mumu9gerian: Op,after reading through your post,i thought as much that this person must have just joined nairaland,Alas! i was right,you dont waste ur time posting this and then waste more time answering everyone who has a contrary opinion.
I guess ur point is made,leave it at that.

thanks brother.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
yorex2011:

Doesn't work for everyone and isn't stable... If it was stable don't u think dats wat everybody wud be using... I've been using it for months but decided to stop cos it was unstable... Its good to have reliable internet and not cheats or tweaks...

Stable when you switched off 3G.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by engrFsumtin(m): 8:50am On Jul 08, 2014
DjAndroid:
2gig is 2000 MB. you are right.
but,
after saying: seven hundred, eight hundred, nine hundred, why do you say "one thousand" instead of "Ten hundred "

when you have less than 1mb, maybe 900kb, will you also call it MB?
LOL..bros,900kb is same as 0.9 mb.It's just conversion.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 10:17am On Jul 08, 2014
engrFsumtin: LOL..bros,900kb is same as 0.9 mb.It's just conversion.

Everyone knows that, we are not arguing it. the argument is : when we are discussing "kilobytes ", "megabytes", "gigabyte" etc, what unit do they represent? is it not "DATA"?
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by engrFsumtin(m): 12:07am On Jul 09, 2014
DjAndroid:

Everyone knows that, we are not arguing it. the argument is : when we are discussing "kilobytes ", "megabytes", "gigabyte" etc, what unit do they represent? is it not "DATA"?

'DATA' is the collective term.But a specific term is preferable
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by DjAndroid: 8:06pm On Jul 09, 2014
engrFsumtin: 'DATA' is the collective term.But a specific term is preferable

and what is that specific term?
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by Elvisten10(m): 9:04pm On Jul 09, 2014
DjAndroid:
you are not wrong my brother, Among all these data units you mentioned here, why did you decide to pick only megabyte (MB) to represent all of them irrespective of the size?
mb is more common to people and there are certain situation that requires that. 0.3 seconds = 300 milliseconds, but certain people don't know what millisecond is, so...
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by Jdesilentkiller(m): 9:31pm On Jul 11, 2014
@Op you may be right but its being established that when a person said mb he is refering to databundle not speed or distance or volume. It all depends on the size cos many people are addicted to subscribing from 10 to 500mb. The context matters. Do you say: I drove 50km of distance or I drove 50km.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by EMERITUS85(m): 11:43pm On Jul 11, 2014
Rudebwoy:

This thing dey vex you too?
It's very annoying when I hear that on the streets.
Even when someone has up to 2gig, he will still be saying I have megabytes

Hope they will learn.

the person is righr because 2gb =2000mb
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by Dawdy(m): 6:52am On Jul 12, 2014
Justiyke4u: Op is just a matter of semantics but let me ask u a question if mtn gives u free 15mb will u say mtn gave me free 15 data? U shud understand a phrase and the context it is used b4 u conclude and judge. Yes we agree is data then wat do u use to quantify the amount of data u av? 'May be Etisalat gave me 500 datas'.......... SMH. My point simply is u shud understand the context they r used. We know dat mb is a unit of data like free 500 megabytes of data, data in this context is capped and the measure is in either gb or mb so cant even use data alone like dat the way u r suggesting

simple! Mtn gave me free 15 megabytes worth of data bundle.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by francis247(m): 9:33am On Jul 12, 2014
DjAndroid: I am new to Nairaland and I have learnt a lot since I joined this forum. In my opinion, anyone who comes here and doesn't learn anything at the end of the day is not a human being.

Ever since I started visiting the phone section, I have noticed a lot of people call the internet browsing bundle "MB".
I hear things like "you get mb?"
"yes"
" how many mb you get? "
"I get 2gig"

This is wrong. It is called "DATA" not "MB"
Megabytes "MB" is a unit of data.
Data is measured in BYTES (B), KILOBYTES(KB), MEGABYTES(MB), GIGABYTES(GB), TERABYTES, ETC.

Please next time, don't say "I have wasted my MB" but say "have wasted my data"
Don't say "Airtel free mb" but say "Airtel free data"

let's correct this impression please.
Actually it's specifically called BANDWIDTH. Referring to it as data is even more ambiguous than referring to it as MB or GB. BTW, whether MB or GB, both are correct as they used to measure Bandwidth not data quantity as far as internet is concerned. It's like referring to #1,100 as eleven hundred naira which is also correct.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by francis247(m): 9:38am On Jul 12, 2014
DjAndroid:
and what is that specific term?
BANDWIDTH. Check your dictionary.
Re: Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" by Justiyke4u: 10:37am On Jul 12, 2014
Dawdy:
simple! Mtn gave me free 15 megabytes worth of data bundle.
15 megabytes worth of data bundle

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Infinix Hot 2 (android One) May Get Android Nougat Update Soon / My Infinix Hot 5 Doesn't Ring Out When First Call Comes In / Need Latest 2go V3.5.7 For Andriod

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.