Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,363 members, 7,826,426 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. (2322 Views)

South Africans Attack Nigerians -VANGUARD / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 06, 2014
Cape Town - An investigation into the mental health status of South Africans has found that one third of the nation suffers from mental illness and about 75% of them will not get help.

In an special investigation by the Sunday Times, the newspaper found that of the most vulnerable are juvenile patients who receive treatment in state facilities. They are housed in prison-like conditions and run the risk of being raped.

Dr Yusuf Moosa, head of clinical psychiatry at the University of the Witwatersrand, said that more than 17 million people in the country are dealing with mental health issues including depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, schizophrenia and substance abuse.

However, the Department of Health spends only 4% - or R9.3bn - of its budget on addressing mental health illnesses.
Dr Melvyn Freeman, head of non-communicable diseases at the Department of Health, said government was aware of the problem but they had to keep it in context and that despite there being some mortality in mental health, thousands more were dying from illnesses such as HIV.

He said his department was not likely to get a marked increase in funding for mental health and instead innovative ways had to be found. In line with this, community workers, including priests and sangomas, are to be roped in to assist with out-of-hospital support for the mentally ill, reported the newspaper.

Twitter tool to help mental health services Australian researchers however, recently unveiled a Twitter tool to map moods around the world in real-time to help improve the allocation of mental health services.

The online tool, called We Feel, analyses up to 32 000 tweets per minute - about 10% of all English-language tweets - for 600 words that are then linked to emotions such as love, joy, surprise, anger, sadness and fear.

The data will be used to monitor the emotions of individuals and communities across different locations, and "ultimately predict when and where potentially life-saving services are required", said lead researcher Helen Christensen of Australia's Black Dog Institute, which researches and treats mood disorders such a depression.

"The power of this information cannot be underestimated. Currently, mental health researchers and associated public health programmes use population data that can be over 5 years old," the professor and director of the institute added. The large volume of data from Twitter - which says it has 255 million monthly active users worldwide - is analysed with the support of Australia's peak science body, the CSIRO, and internet giant Amazon's remote computing services.The We Feel tool can be accessed online.
-News24

Source
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 06, 2014
I guess this explains their animalistic behaviours- rampant rape, xenophobia, violence, etc. sad

I hereby apologize to, and condone with all the south Africans in this forum-- RSa, EroZA, kgr28, voice filter, craigb, andrewza, etc - - I now understand your situation.

3 Likes

Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 06, 2014
its Sunday,a holy day...dont you have something positive to write about in order to ease your frustration ?

Apatheist: I guess this explains their animalistic behaviours- rampant rape, xenophobia, violence, etc. sad

I hereby apologize to, and condone with all the south Africans in this forum-- RSa, EroZA, kgr28, voice filter, craigb, andrewza, etc - - I now understand your situation.
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by slimthugchimee(m): 10:50am On Jul 06, 2014
Apatheist: I guess this explains their animalistic behaviours- rampant rape, xenophobia, violence, etc. sad

lol una nodey serious
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by jakiedudu(m): 10:52am On Jul 06, 2014
All4naija over to you.
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 06, 2014
slimthugchimee: lol una nodey serious
No be me write the article.
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 10:57am On Jul 06, 2014
EroZA:
its Sunday,a holy day...dont you have something positive to write about in order to ease your frustration ?

I am neither religious nor spiritual.

I didn't write the article, did I?
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by herald9: 11:02am On Jul 06, 2014

grin

2 Likes

Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 06, 2014
ok juju man

Apatheist:
I am neither religious nor spiritual.

I didn't write the article, did I?
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 06, 2014
EroZA:
ok juju man

Juju?
I am atheist, I don't believe in any of that poo, Sangoma.
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
What is atheist?

Apatheist:
Juju?
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
EroZA: What is atheist?

Someone that is not enslaved mentally, and can think for him/herself.

But technically, an atheist is someone that doesn't believe in god/gods.

1 Like

Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
You are complicated...

Apatheist:
Someone that is not enslaved mentally, and can think for him/herself.

But technically, an atheist is someone that doesn't believe in god/gods.
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
EroZA: You are complicated...

Really? Most women like you find me quite simple.
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by iterator25: 4:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
scary
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 06, 2014
Do I sound like a woman?

Apatheist:
Really? Most women like you find me quite simple.
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
EroZA: Do I sound like a woman?

It was an indirect jab.
Oh, never mind.
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 06, 2014
jakiedudu: All4naija over to you.
Lol...Bwahaha... Oscar Pistorious case is a good testament to that.

1 Like

Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by paniki(m): 10:43pm On Jul 06, 2014
Yes we are crazy. So what?
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
paniki: Yes we are crazy. So what?
How many times did you visit Hillbrow today to get a dose of your medicine from Nigerians? You i d i o t!
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by paniki(m): 12:03am On Jul 07, 2014
all4naija: How many times did you visit Hillbrow today to get a dose of your medicine from Nigerians? You i d i o t!

I don't do drugs.
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 07, 2014
all4naija: How many times did you visit Hillbrow today to get a dose of your medicine from Nigerians? You i d i o t!
That is not how you treat mentally ill people angry
Paniki, I apologize on his behalf. smiley
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by soilsista(f): 2:36pm On Jul 07, 2014
Lol batho ba obsessed ka rona struu!!! Kore they don't feel right if a ba bolele ka rona. Always SA this, SA that na wa undecided

5 Likes

Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by kgr28(m): 3:20pm On Jul 07, 2014
Apatheist:
Juju?
Owww you are Atheist, no wonder!!!!
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 07, 2014
kgr28: Owww you are Atheist, no wonder!!!!
No wonder what, my Bantu friend? smiley
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by kgr28(m): 3:29pm On Jul 07, 2014
Apatheist:
No wonder what, my Bantu friend? smiley
No wonder you always dillutional!!
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 07, 2014
Every nigerian wishes he/she was a south african,this is what a nigerian friend of mine based in jozi once told me,i did not believe when he told me but judging from the threads on this forum,am now conviced that these people are not happy with themselves,they country and what they have..

a Nigerian will do his best to show muscles by shouting,crying and lying ...in reality these people are cowards that's why they rather seek refuge in foreign lands than fight for their rights ...hey these people are good in insulting other people,all4kak from Abadan its your turn lets go 1212..

4 Likes

Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 07, 2014
kgr28:
No wonder you always dillutional!!
It is spelt "delusional", my mentally disabled friend. smiley
How am I delusional?
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 07, 2014
EroZA: Every nigerian wishes he/she was a south african,this is what a nigerian friend of mine based in jozi once told me,i did not believe when he told me but judging from the threads on this forum,am now conviced that these people are not happy with themselves,they country and what they have..

a Nigerian will do his best to show muscles by shouting,crying and lying ...in reality these people are cowards that's why they rather seek refuge in foreign lands than fight for their rights ...hey these people are good in insulting other people,all4kak from Abadan its your turn lets go 1212..

The article spoke of hallucinations and schizophrenia.
Have you taken your drugs? smiley

1 Like

Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by kgr28(m): 3:41pm On Jul 07, 2014
Apatheist:
It is spelt "delusional", my mentally disabled friend. smiley
How am I delusional?
Hevent you notyced you are dillutional!?!
Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 07, 2014
kgr28:
Hevent you notyced you are dillutional!?!
Is errors in spelling your mental illness?

1 Like

Re: One-third Of South Africans Are Mentally Ill- Study. by kgr28(m): 3:45pm On Jul 07, 2014
Apatheist:
Is errors in spelling your mental illness?
NO, thads haw I write to Dillutional persons!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Putin Crushes Bbc Smartass / Israeli Death Toll Now At Least 70 (graphic Pictures) / Trump Blames Obama's Administration For Nationwide Coronavirus Test Kit Shortage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.