Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,975 members, 7,821,413 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Praying In The Spirit!! Something You Need To Understand. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying In The Spirit!! Something You Need To Understand. (1189 Views)

Woman Delivered From The 'spirit Of Madness' At Lagos Church (Photos) / God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony / Help! I Am Praying In A Language I Don't Understand. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Praying In The Spirit!! Something You Need To Understand. by Olusanya333(m): 1:31am On Jul 07, 2014
Question:"What is praying in the Spirit?"
Answer: praying in the Spirit is mentioned three times in Scripture. First Corinthians 14:15 says, So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. Ephesians 6:18 says, And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Jude 20 says, But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. So, what exactly does it mean to pray in the Spirit?
The Greek word translated pray in can have several different meanings. It can mean by means of, with the help of, in the sphere of, and in connection to. Praying in the Spirit does not refer to the words we are saying. Rather, it refers to how we are praying. Praying in the Spirit is praying according to the Spirits leading. It is praying for things the Spirit leads us to pray for. Romans 8:26 tells us, In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
Some, based on 1 Corinthians 14:15, equate praying in the Spirit with praying in tongues. Discussing the gift of tongues, Paul mentions pray with my spirit. First Corinthians 14:14 states that when a person prays in tongues, he does not know what he is saying, since it is spoken in a language he does not know. Further, no one else can understand what is being said, unless there is an interpreter (1 Corinthians 14:27-28). In Ephesians 6:18, Paul instructs us to pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. How are we to pray with all kinds of prayers and requests and pray for the saints, if no one, including the person praying, understands what is being said? Therefore, praying in the Spirit should be understood as praying in the power of the Spirit, by the leading of the Spirit, and according to His will, not as praying in tongues.
Re: Praying In The Spirit!! Something You Need To Understand. by Nobody: 3:42am On Jul 07, 2014
Impressive!!

I have long frown at this gibberish word salad being peddled about by pentecostals as speaking in tongues and I there say it is just part of the " babalawo" relics that has found it's way into modern day Christianity.

Thanks for the elucidation!
Re: Praying In The Spirit!! Something You Need To Understand. by doubleportion: 4:16am On Jul 07, 2014
Olusanya333: Question:"What is praying in the Spirit?"
Answer: praying in the Spirit is mentioned three times in Scripture. First Corinthians 14:15 says, So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. Ephesians 6:18 says, And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Jude 20 says, But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. So, what exactly does it mean to pray in the Spirit?
The Greek word translated pray in can have several different meanings. It can mean by means of, with the help of, in the sphere of, and in connection to. Praying in the Spirit does not refer to the words we are saying. Rather, it refers to how we are praying. Praying in the Spirit is praying according to the Spirits leading. It is praying for things the Spirit leads us to pray for. Romans 8:26 tells us, In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
Some, based on 1 Corinthians 14:15, equate praying in the Spirit with praying in tongues. Discussing the gift of tongues, Paul mentions pray with my spirit. First Corinthians 14:14 states that when a person prays in tongues, he does not know what he is saying, since it is spoken in a language he does not know. Further, no one else can understand what is being said, unless there is an interpreter (1 Corinthians 14:27-28). In Ephesians 6:18, Paul instructs us to pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. How are we to pray with all kinds of prayers and requests and pray for the saints, if no one, including the person praying, understands what is being said? Therefore, praying in the Spirit should be understood as praying in the power of the Spirit, by the leading of the Spirit, and according to His will, not as praying in tongues.

well said! but there is a point of correction. At what point did you then get to receive the leading of the holy spirit? dont get it twisted! praying in tongues launches you into the the realm of supernatural where you pray according to the mind of God. H.S was given to us to help us in our inadequacies.praying in understanding means that you pray base on immediate and obvious need but in so many time there more to it than your natural understanding. The scripture prescribed prophesying when it has to do with congregation to lift there spirits and is equally potent because it has to do with standing on the promises oGod in His word to make declarations due to the infallibility of the word of God.But for personnal prayers its much more better to speak in tongues because it makes you pray any time you want to regardless of your weakness,you will recieve help(strenght) from within that makes you flow, then there will be a revelation from God's word on what to do concerning the situation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Praying In The Spirit!! Something You Need To Understand. by Olusanya333(m): 10:09am On Jul 07, 2014
doubleportion:

well said! but there is a point of correction. At what point did you then get to receive the leading of the holy spirit? dont get it twisted! praying in tongues launches you into the the realm of supernatural where you pray according to the mind of God. H.S was given to us to help us in our inadequacies.praying in understanding means that you pray base on immediate and obvious need but in so many time there more to it than your natural understanding. The scripture prescribed prophesying when it has to do with congregation to lift there spirits and is equally potent because it has to do with standing on the promises oGod in His word to make declarations due to the infallibility of the word of God.But for personnal prayers its much more better to speak in tongues because it makes you pray any time you want to regardless of your weakness,you will recieve help(strenght) from within that makes you flow, then there will be a revelation from God's word on what to do concerning the situation.
Brother I Love ur insight and i take in ur Knowledge for if there is anything we are thus minded God will reveal it to us. God said to Abraham "Walk before me and be thou perfect" nd again it is written "Jesus was Led by the Spirit into d wilderness. To be Led by the Spirit start when u understand there is a Person of Holy Spirit. You can't be led by He who u don't believe in.You want the Holy Spirit to lead u then be Holy.Praying In Spirit is praying according to the leading of d Spirit most of d time i don't get to know what to pray for but den i give myself to d Holy Spirit to take over u don't get to prepare prayer point b4 u pray if u r doing dat u r hindering d Spirit of God. Peter raised the dead by praying in d Spirit nd not praying in tongues,Paul pray 4 d disciple in Spirit nd dey got baptize by d Holy Spirit two different practise but absolutely important for a Christain.
Re: Praying In The Spirit!! Something You Need To Understand. by doubleportion: 10:24pm On Jul 07, 2014
Olusanya333: Brother I Love ur insight and i take in ur Knowledge for if there is anything we are thus minded God will reveal it to us. God said to Abraham "Walk before me and be thou perfect" nd again it is written "Jesus was Led by the Spirit into d wilderness. To be Led by the Spirit start when u underistand there is a Person of Holy Spirit. You can't be led by He who u don't believe in.You want the Holy Spirit to lead u then be Holy.Praying In Spirit is praying according to the leading of d Spirit most of d time i don't get to know what to pray for but den i give myself to d Holy Spirit to take over u don't get to prepare prayer point b4 u pray if u r doing dat u r hindering d Spirit of God. Peter raised the dead by praying in d Spirit nd not praying in tongues,Paul pray 4 d disciple in Spirit nd dey got baptize by d Holy Spirit two different practise but absolutely important for a Christain.

Now i know where you got it wrong! i will like it if you can make more research for confirmation.

now, i deduce from you post that you did not know that praying in the spirit is the same as praying in tongues(Jude 20).and more over, your post was centered on the praying in the spirit and understanding not leading by the spirit which is different thing entirely.you dont have to engage in prayer before you receive the leading of the spirit if you are born of the spirit and sensitive to the voice of the holy spirit.

i also want you to know that the fact that speaking in tongues has been basterdise doesn,t make it loose his potent.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Today September 8th Is The Birthday Of The Blessed Virgin Mary / God Speaks In Mysterious Ways To Tb Joshua / Ponder On This..........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.