Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,276 members, 7,836,242 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play (17782 Views)

Video: Of The Kids Kissing In A Lagos Church Compound / Comical Reasons Why Kids Cry(pics) / Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by nairacountry(m): 5:22pm On Jul 18, 2014
The only rule for my baby girl has being; Work while you work, play while you play.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by 5minsmadness: 5:25pm On Jul 18, 2014
honeric01: During playing, kids learn to fight, learn to understand other kids, learn to make up, learn to forgive and forget, but when you dont allow them to mix with other kids to learn these basic rules, they grow up without them and end up lacking the ability to forgive and forget, ability to fight and make up, ability to understand other people.

Nothing is useless, do not rub your kids of your childhood.
This is so very true.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by eleojo23: 5:31pm On Jul 18, 2014
lilbabyak:
ok now make we call you patentee
very funny. Ok I've removed it since it seems to be derailing the thread.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by tpia1: 5:45pm On Jul 18, 2014
rutchiekens:

everybody needs to play not just kids.

thanks for this comment.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by toprealman: 5:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
Playing is good but that should not jeopardise intellectual development.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by aviazuva: 5:54pm On Jul 18, 2014
Let the children play.

Innocence knows nothing of the throes and woes of daily lining

And in the purity of the youth lie such enviable sense of freedom

Let the children play.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by abdulahi001: 5:54pm On Jul 18, 2014
GoodBoi1: Exactly. Kids have to be allowed to enjoy their childhood so they don't regret later and try to make up for it like Michael Jackson. This is reason some ajebo kids are fat, 'cos they're always inside, no where to release all that energy and causes them to be obese and lazy in the future . There is time for everything.
E.g President GEJ's son

1 Like

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Segadem(m): 6:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=MadCow1][b]Kids Go outside and play?! grin grin grin

What happened to their X-Box One and Playstation 4 or their PSP Go and Nintendo DS?

Playing outside is outdated yo!

When last did you see a kite in the skies?

My kid brother is 12 years old and has never;
rolled a tyre outside,
made knock-out from paper,
made a paper gun,
played Police and thief inside uncompleted building,
made and tried to fly a paper-kite,
Hunted Lizards and squrrels outside,
played early morning peppersoup,
constructed and rolled a 'borres' (local toy car made with car bearings),
Made a Knock-out with Spark-plugs,
Made 'okoso' from Tiger-batteries and pen cover,
tried to make a local telephone with hair thread and matchbox,
Tried to learn how to do a back-flip,
tried his hands out at 'chinese-bending',
Played Ninja with wooden sticks and a cloth around his head,
Played that gane where you have to cross your fingers or if you get caught, you recieve a slap to the back of your hands.
Played counter-ball
Played 'Nearest to the wall',
Played in the rain,
Tried to sail his paper boat inside a gutter with flowing water after a rain storm,
e.t.c

But he presently owns; A Playstation 1,2,3 & 4, X-Box 360 & 1, Nintendo 64, Gameboy color, Game Bay Advance, Ds, D XL, PlayStation PSP, PSP GO, and has played almost every game that there is to play on these consoles. Its funny, but I recognise that the times have changed. Infact, the closest I saw kids play outside in my neighbourhood was to ride their bicycles, roller-blade and sit on their fences and wirelessly play their Nintendoes against each other. grin

Now thanks to the internet, they dont even need to leave their rooms to play with each other again. The last time I visted with my brother, he was playing Call of Duty Ghosts with over 5 friends and yet he was the only one sitted in his room with just a Pad and a headphones talking to himself and seriously focusing like he was in a room full of people. grin

I remember when my mum saw all the kids sitting on the fence playing Nintendos, My mum was like; Whats happening here, I told here that they were playing, she said how? I said they are playing wirelessly against each other.. She was so stunned! grin

Welcome to the new world my dear.. The expectation for kids are higher now. A kid wakes up by 6 and is at school till 5pm with barely 2hrs of break inbetween. My brother had to do School, extra-classes, Home-teacher, Saturday was Teakwando practice and Drama rehersals for school plays.. My kid sister was also the same with Saturdays being Ballet lessons and Music classes. grin

I saw a Chinese Kid on youtube who had mastered so much at his tender age it was shocking.

The truth is that the times have changed greatly from what it used to be.. I remember when we hunted lizards in the neighbourhood until they almost went extinct. grin

This is one of the leading causes of the increase in obesity in children. [/b][/
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by vislabraye(m): 6:30pm On Jul 18, 2014
eleojo23: The central idea is to allow kids to engage in play whether indoors or outdoors. Some neighbourhoods make it impossible for kids to play outside (say security concerns). Indoor plays with their siblings and friends can be a good alternative provided they are monitored to prevent turning the whole house upside down (you know what I mean)
. Playing outdoor is so important. I thank God because we used to live in a big compound 100m by 100m. We used to run 100 meter race with my friend, play football, do back flip, hunt lizards, set traps for cats, climb trees to mention but a few. These when I see the way kids grow up, I shake my head. The compound their mansion is built on is just the size of our garden. No space at all. On top of that their parents feed them with so much junk food that they are now obese. Parents push their children so hard such that they have little time for social activities or exercise. I once worked in a school where the children received heaps of homework to do at home. When it was mid-term break, if you see the load of homework these primary school children were given, you'll think its for a university undergraduate doing his thesis. For a mid-term break of 3 or 4 days, they collected maths problem for a whole term. ( Sorry there's no paragraph).
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 18, 2014
my Kid loves to play but i am scared he will be kidnapped or molested one day.. playing indoor helps, video games but he needs to get outside more.. problem is other neighbors keep their kids locked in as well. in my time i could walk into the homes of the next 5 houses to my left and right and across the road and each family will let me play with their kids, eat lunch and come back home.. same with other kids coming around. Life as a kid was fun.. these days Fear Rules our decision to keep kids locked in.. not a good education

1 Like

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by armyofone(m): 6:42pm On Jul 18, 2014
It is sad that stay at home mom is frowned on now.
Mothers should always look for job flexibility...learn to manage so that you don't spend all day running after money.
If you have to work, go to work, come back and spend the rest of the day with your family.
You are right about the selfishness of some people.

honeric01:

Alot of parents do this not because they want the kids to be very smart in book related matters, rather they need a place they can keep the kids while they chase their selfish desires about (Money, fame, wealth, power and fun).

They keep the kids in school so they can have time for themselves without minding the child's development, they want the school to train the kids for them in all ways, delegating their parent responsibilities to the school teachers without knowing the background of these teachers.

Selfish world, selfish parents!
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by youngice(m): 6:42pm On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1: [b]Kids Go outside and play?! grin grin grin

What happened to their X-Box One and Playstation 4 or their PSP Go and Nintendo DS?

rolled a tyre outside,
made a paper gun,
Played that gane where you have to cross your fingers or if you get caught, you recieve a slap to the back of your hands.
Played counter-ball
Played in the rain,
Tried to sail his paper boat inside a gutter with flowing water after a rain storm,
e.t.c

But he presently owns; A Playstation 1,2,3 & 4, X-Box 360 & 1, Nintendo 64, Gameboy color, Game Bay Advance, Ds, D XL, PlayStation PSP, PSP GO, and has played almost every game that there is to play on these consoles. Its funny, but I recognise that the times have changed. Infact, the closest I saw kids play outside in my neighbourhood was to ride their bicycles, roller-blade and sit on their fences and wirelessly play their Nintendoes against each other. grin

Now thanks to the internet, they dont even need to leave their rooms to play with each other again. The last time I visted with my brother, he was playing Call of Duty Ghosts with over 5 friends and yet he was the only one sitted in his room with just a Pad and a headphones talking to himself and seriously focusing like he was in a room full of people. grin

I remember when my mum saw all the kids sitting on the fence playing Nintendos, My mum was like; Whats happening here, I told here that they were playing, she said how? I said they are playing wirelessly against each other.. She was so stunned! grin

Welcome to the new world my dear.. The expectation for kids are higher now. A kid wakes up by 6 and is at school till 5pm with barely 2hrs of break inbetween. My brother had to do School, extra-classes, Home-teacher, Saturday was Teakwando practice and Drama rehersals for school plays.. My kid sister was also the same with Saturdays being Ballet lessons and Music classes. grin

I saw a Chinese Kid on youtube who had mastered so much at his tender age it was shocking.

The truth is that the times have changed greatly from what it used to be.. I remember when we hunted lizards in the neighbourhood until they almost went extinct. grin

This is one of the leading causes of the increase in obesity in children. [/b]
u can lie, which 12 Yr old has ps1 haba
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Ogheneyife: 6:45pm On Jul 18, 2014
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Dramadiddy(m): 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2014
It depends sha...just find what you child is really interested in and help him/her get there, even if the child changes course, still follow your kid up
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Fmdipo(m): 6:48pm On Jul 18, 2014
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by x2lambo(m): 6:52pm On Jul 18, 2014
depend on the child though some kids are just to playful
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by MadCow1: 7:08pm On Jul 18, 2014
youngice: u can lie, which 12 Yr old has ps1 haba

One that has a Senior Brother who had one.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by babadem2much(m): 7:09pm On Jul 18, 2014
Thanks op 4 d advice, but how ever, during my days as a kid no be small tin oo, any time i went out to play with my pairs every mother will start e don come with hin rough play be dat as a ARMY BARRACKs BOY. Omo if u no strong u don die 4 beating, but its fun sha i remember playin OKOSO both d Bic pen cover n battery head, the real snail shell okoso i still have one now teaching my children how 2 play it, button game i be baba, rolling tyers on the street, motor circle wheels i no go 4get dat 1 building houses with sand, see saw janglova, catapault hunting lizards, grass hoppers, hide n seek boji boji, paper kite milk tin constructed cars helicopters with radio transformers, langa omo but we still know book for this op's post am guilty of caging my children even if av provided many toys n things the should play with. From 2day i will be giving dem one hour of play but my kids sef if dem commot every mother de hold her pikin oo. Dem resemble dia papa sha. God bless d Op

1 Like

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by p2t2r(m): 7:15pm On Jul 18, 2014

rolled a tyre outside,
made a paper gun,
Played counter-ball
Played in the rain,
e.t.c

daah, your comment come long pass the post undecided
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by biomedixexcel(m): 7:38pm On Jul 18, 2014
Will read later
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Pholar97(m): 7:59pm On Jul 18, 2014

rolled a tyre outside,
made a paper gun,
Played counter-ball
Played in the rain,
e.t.c

guy u be real play play kid then ooo to sabi all said above. For dat 'okoso' (4 my place na okoto) na play die, when, i've learn to be easy wt my boy; make him play jare.

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Coldfeet(f): 8:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
eleojo23: I would like to paint a scenario to aid what I’m about to talk about.

Olu and David are brothers. David is 6 years old and Olu is a little above 4 years old. The two brothers are calling themselves out to play.
'Olu, let’s go and play with Mike at the backyard.' David calls out to his brother.
'Ok. Let’s build paper aeroplane and fly' Olu replies enthusiastically as he runs towards the back door.
'No, let's build a house with the sand' David suggests
'No, me I will build my aeroplane' Olu insists
'Ok. Fine, we’ll do whatever you want' David replies
They both run out to meet Mike who is waiting for them with a paper kite in his hands.
As they barely get out of the house, Mummy who is doing the dishes in the kitchen calls out
'David, where are you going with Olu?'
'Mummy, we want to play outside' David replies
'Play? Come on, get back inside and read your books' Mummy is already angry at the thought
'But mummy we have finished our homework already' Olu protests
'I said get back inside!' Mummy insists
They both reluctantly get back inside the house.
Mummy thinks to herself
'These kids are too playful. So they have time to play around. How will they pass their exams? I need to enroll them for extra lessons to keep them busy and serious with their studies'

This is what is obtainable today.
Being a child nowadays is definitely different from what it was some 20 to 30 years ago. Kids today are faced with many pressures that rob them of the joys of childhood. The major source of this pressure is the school.
It is not surprising to find a child of barely 2 years old being enrolled in nursery 1(not daycare!). These kids get into school so early and then begin a life of pressures, pressure to perform. Cool as it may seem to tell your friend 'my 2yr old daughter is already in nursery 1'. It is not cool at all.

When I was in primary school, we only spent about six hours in school but nowadays, kids spend up to eight hours in school and may even take extra lessons after school. Then the child comes home with much homework that he must submit the next day. All these rob the child of an essential part of growing up - free time to play. Yeah, you heard me right, play.
Children need to play as it is very important for their development. Play opens doors for creativity among children where they learn to use their power of imagination. It also helps them to develop good social skills because most plays involve other kids and requires group cooperation to make them interesting. Children also learn to take risks and think for themselves as they play.

It is sad that most primary schools today rarely have playgrounds and even if they do, the break time is too short for kids to engage in any meaningful play. And after the normal school hours, they are engaged in extra lessons again.
Ok. Let’s say it's the school's fault. But the parents are not helping either just like in the scenario above. When kids come home on holiday and are supposed to have their time to play, they are enrolled for holiday lessons and so the cycle continues. The child may be doing well at school but he/she is being robbed of an essential part of his/her childhood and it is definitely going to affect him in future.

The irony of this trend is that it does not make the kids of today anymore better than the kids from 20 years ago.

Inasmuch as you want your child to succeed in life, learn to take things in stages and keep the pressures at a distance. Any good and right thinking child would also feel the urge to want to succeed when the time comes.
My neighbour's child who is in primary school plays a lot but he still does very well in school. The boy is very smart. His dad encourages him to use his free time to engage in activities that he enjoys while making sure that he does his homework too. Pushing kids to succeed may be counter-productive. It is not advisable to make a child solve mathematics or do only school work all day long. School has its place and so does play.

Let's give childhood back to the children and let them develop normally. Remember your own time as a kid when you played a lot with your friends (running around the house, playing hide and seek, flying paper kites and building mud houses) and still did well in school. At least I did well and so did most of my friends because we all passed our entrance exam into secondary school and continued to do well.

We can't deny the fact that play is part of childhood. It makes them balanced individuals. If you deprive them of it, they will be missing a crucial part of what makes them children. There are cases of children getting depressed because of being forced to mature too quickly due to pressure and many of them become unbalanced individuals. So, I reiterate, let the kids play!
So very true!! I've made it a point of duty to make sure my kids DON'T attend any summer lessons what's so ever!! Now that there are on school break, school break it must be! This holiday is a perfect time for parents and their kids to bond more but its sad to see so many parents already scouting for one summer lesson or the other to keep their kids engaged like they are some sort of pest that must be kept away? No way! Me I play sotey all my front teeth fall off grin still I'm the success I am today!!! Phew! Its really high time parents realised this! Nice one I must say kudos.

1 Like

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by JEITO: 9:08pm On Jul 18, 2014
Lack of socialising while young could be one of the reasons why our politicians, are so stingy they embezzle public fund. Afterall, they didn't mingle well enough to realise that all fingers are not equal.

Well as for me, I don't miss my childhood one bit because I passed all my play courses with straight As. There wasn't a single children's play that reigned in my days that I didn't participate in grin
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
Pushing a child to reach for success is very important but balance is very key.

@Op very well written.

#MathewBriggs
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by JEITO: 9:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
#singing in MJ's voice. Hav u seen my childhood?
I'm searching 4d world dat I come from
Cos I've been looking around.
In the lost and found of my heart...
No one understands me
They view it as such eccentricities
Cos I kip kidding around..
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by tonychristopher: 10:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
as a father I allow my daughter to play I even buy her toys. I download games on my tablet for her. she plays well and guess what ....she is also smart and intelligent never taken more than third position

I did arts in university and one of the courses we did is peadocentric art or child art
so I understand the play ....

I played well. a child who didn't play are always timid .look at these aji kids in Lekki etc they are not strong and their kids mess them up

we played and we did well in school so let the mud be the kids pal...or or kid be Michael Jackson

pls
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by tonychristopher: 10:26pm On Jul 18, 2014
JEITO: Lack of socialising while young could be one of the reasons why our politicians, are so stingy they embezzle public fund. Afterall, they didn't mingle well enough to realise that all fingers are not equal.

Well as for me, I don't miss my childhood one bit because I passed all my play courses with straight As. There wasn't a single children's play that reigned in my days that I didn't participate in grin

u play.. hmmm u no play pass me.me way act Bruce Lee then act film with water gun the played table soccer in league and to cap it all I played street ball with many caps. did u even write love letter ..I played and I look back with nostalgia

above all I got good education we all did in my family graduated at 21 as a family rule and doing great in our jobs ...so I thank my late parents for balancing education with creativity in play

did u play house and husband as a kid while the girls will be wives cooking with tin of milk ...cutting flowers and grass as vegetables

it was just fun
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by JEITO: 10:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
tonychristopher:

u play.. hmmm u no play pass me.me way act Bruce Lee then act film with water gun the played table soccer in league and to cap it all I played street ball with many caps. did u even write love letter ..I played and I look back with nostalgia

above all I got good education we all did in my family graduated at 21 as a family rule and doing great in our jobs ...so I thank my late parents for balancing education with creativity in play

did u play house and husband as a kid while the girls will be wives cooking with tin of milk ...cutting flowers and grass as vegetables

it was just fun
nice record! nothing beats a balanced childhood ie play + education(both formal and informal). But as for the play aspect, I did more- infact memories are making me smile. I think I'm gonna have a sweet dreams tonight
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by okotv(m): 10:54pm On Jul 18, 2014
i have noticed this trend for long and its worrisome cause i cant explain how a child would be returning from school at six p.m....what are you learning...and that is why i support government schools cause the standard is not compromised unlike some private schools....and non of my kids would start schooling unless the year he or she turns three..same goes for holidays..instead of lessons...learn arts, crafts, painting and drawing. learn how to play musical instruments and also visit historical sites...this is better than becoming a game addict
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by tonychristopher: 11:38pm On Jul 18, 2014
JEITO: nice record! nothing beats a balanced childhood ie play + education(both formal and informal). But as for the play aspect, I did more- infact memories are making me smile. I think I'm gonna have a sweet dreams tonight

I did more ...did you play oro...its hide and seek if you are caught you seek others. Did u play kite..did u build cars with small cartons and use corks as tyres and power it with rubber ...did you play street wars with licked oranges...did u play Biro gun ...here u will look for orange peels press an empty bic on it the gas pressure will push the other out...then did u play okoso...with snail not Biro and battery that one is amateurish... snail okoso is meant for pros

Bro give it to me ...I played ...bores is just normal game

Funny enough my daughter plays like me then but very brilliant

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Touching Lies Mothers Tell Their Children / Mrs. Tinubu Welcomes First Baby Of 2024, Advocates For Child Welfare / Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.