Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,866 members, 7,813,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play (17749 Views)

Video: Of The Kids Kissing In A Lagos Church Compound / Comical Reasons Why Kids Cry(pics) / Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by kobonaire(m): 4:17pm On Jul 18, 2014
Our kids already sabi play very well ..... Now's the time for them to achieve ..... pressure yields results cool
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by honeric01(m): 4:17pm On Jul 18, 2014
During playing, kids learn to fight, learn to understand other kids, learn to make up, learn to forgive and forget, but when you dont allow them to mix with other kids to learn these basic rules, they grow up without them and end up lacking the ability to forgive and forget, ability to fight and make up, ability to understand other people.

Nothing is useless, do not rub your kids of their childhood.

5 Likes

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by justi4jesu(f): 4:17pm On Jul 18, 2014
silverprince413: have you seen ajepako children before?

lol..what are u insinuating grin
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by edo70: 4:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
children should be allowed abundant time, particularly during holidays,to recover from school stress.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Adunskill(m): 4:26pm On Jul 18, 2014
Playing back then even gave us some informal education in addition to formal educcation. I remember then we even learnt some school works unconciously while playing. We built things, pure innovation. When i see some of todays technology, i laugh and say we built this in the past as a kid. ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES Olu, Uzor, Alima a DULL CHILD.

2 Likes

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Sweetlemon(f): 4:26pm On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1: Kids Go outside and play?! grin grin grin

What happened to their X-Box One and Playstation 4 or their PSP Go and Nintendo DS?

Playing outside is outdated yo!

When last did you see a kite in the skies?

If you ve ever been in an aje-butter estate, you'd see loads of kids playing all sorts of outdoor games ranging from cycling to hide and seek to even ten ten and suwe. once the sun is down.

4 Likes

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by eleojo23: 4:28pm On Jul 18, 2014
Segadem: u have. d copyright?
why? Yes.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by MadCow1: 4:28pm On Jul 18, 2014
Sweetlemon:

If you ve ever been in an aje-butter estate, you'd see loads of kids playing all sorts of outdoor games ranging from cycling to hide and seek to even ten ten and suwe. once the sun is down.

Do I sound like a kpako pikin to you? grin

1 Like

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Emblj: 4:28pm On Jul 18, 2014
Gr8 write up, a child psychologist wouldn't av done better,if u r not one. It is so painful d stress kids r put to these days by d parents all in d name of education. The kids r so engaged all in d name of keeping them busy so much that they don't even av time to review their school work. The schools aren't helping matters, play grounds seems to av disappeared from ur schools these days, little wonder we don't even perform well as a nation in sporting activities. I am very sure that growth should involve every aspect of a being. How come our teachers and school administrators who taught us these things r guilty of this. Government should mandate all schools to av their own play grounds big enough as a standard football pitch. Parents should allow their kids' brain rest and rejuvenate through creative sporting activities which helps kids build and cultivate d habit of good decision making.

1 Like

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by jericco1(m): 4:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
Well you can't compare 20years ago to today, don't live in the past please, then everybody was sociable not nowadays, and I'd advice you choose the kinds of play they indulge in and do monitor them!. My kids should be indoor, and they will play when they start listening to me!!!
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Agbenyiess(m): 4:30pm On Jul 18, 2014
True Talk; Free the Kids

1 Like

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Swiftboy(m): 4:33pm On Jul 18, 2014
Even adults need to play sometimes! Thats why we go to bar,club,hang out etc
eleojo23: Originally posted by me on April 27, 2014.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by toria1980(f): 4:33pm On Jul 18, 2014
Hmmm, space book to follow up with topic, coming back shortly
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by UjSizzle(f): 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2014
Very nice FP topics today cheesy
I played to my heart's content, and intend for my children to also smiley Wait, who even born me to lock them in? If they are anything like my siblings and I, they'll probably find a way to make that playtime work eg. frustrate the neighbors till they beg the parents to let them out grin

My cousin plays like she's crazy, but that girl is so intelligent and smart I can't tell what planet she fell out of undecided

2 Likes

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by DollyParton1(f): 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
I know a dad who does not allow his (twins) kids go for those holidays coaching. Instead he enrols them as apprentices. The girl learns fashion designing and the boy is into carpentery. And both are straight A's students.
When I asked the dad why, his reply was simple "there is more to life than education and studying"
Which I think most parents are yet to realize. Let your child grow at his or her own pace. Allow them to play, let them explore other side of life that doesn't have to do with a formal education. A child needs a balanced life.

2 Likes

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by leshluap(m): 4:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
H
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by oathman(m): 4:47pm On Jul 18, 2014
my parent gave me opportunities to play when i'm still a kid but i prefer to stay indoor then because i just don't like kids in my area grin grin (lagos island kids)
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by onlymase(m): 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
Thanks

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by rman: 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
Madcow has done it all. grin

I can relate to all the games u listed bro.

@OP, nice observation.

I actually think a little bit of creativity is lost when everything is structured around kids.

We need to let them explore and if possible create their own toys ( kites, catapults etc)

I am not against the Xbox and game boys but as parents u can create the blend between the new and the old. Mind u, I believe the old way kids play actually enhances their health.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by DollyParton1(f): 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2014
oathman: my parent gave me opportunities to play when i'm still a kid but i prefer to stay indoor then because i just don't like kids in my area grin grin (lagos island kids)

Other way round for me. I would always sneak out on my mom. Even take a longer route to get to my friends/neighbours house just so my mom won't see me and stop me. She later gave up and let me be.
But when the time to stop came, no one told me. I knew I had to face my studies squarely.

1 Like

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by LillyAnne(f): 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1: [b]Kids Go outside and play?! grin grin grin

What happened to their X-Box One and Playstation 4 or their PSP Go and Nintendo DS?

Playing outside is outdated yo!

When last did you see a kite in the skies?

My kid brother is 12 years old and has never;
rolled a tyre outside,
made knock-out from paper,
made a paper gun,
played Police and thief inside uncompleted building,
made and tried to fly a paper-kite,
Hunted Lizards and squrrels outside,
played early morning peppersoup,
constructed and rolled a 'borres' (local toy car made with car bearings),
Made a Knock-out with Spark-plugs,
Made 'okoso' from Tiger-batteries and pen cover,
tried to make a local telephone with hair thread and matchbox,
Tried to learn how to do a back-flip,
tried his hands out at 'chinese-bending',
Played Ninja with wooden sticks and a cloth around his head,
Played that gane where you have to cross your fingers or if you get caught, you recieve a slap to the back of your hands.
Played counter-ball
Played 'Nearest to the wall',
Played in the rain,
Tried to sail his paper boat inside a gutter with flowing water after a rain storm,
e.t.c

But he presently owns; A Playstation 1,2,3 & 4, X-Box 360 & 1, Nintendo 64, Gameboy color, Game Bay Advance, Ds, D XL, PlayStation PSP, PSP GO, and has played almost every game that there is to play on these consoles. Its funny, but I recognise that the times have changed. Infact, the closest I saw kids play outside in my neighbourhood was to ride their bicycles, roller-blade and sit on their fences and wirelessly play their Nintendoes against each other. grin

Now thanks to the internet, they dont even need to leave their rooms to play with each other again. The last time I visted with my brother, he was playing Call of Duty Ghosts with over 5 friends and yet he was the only one sitted in his room with just a Pad and a headphones talking to himself and seriously focusing like he was in a room full of people. grin

I remember when my mum saw all the kids sitting on the fence playing Nintendos, My mum was like; Whats happening here, I told here that they were playing, she said how? I said they are playing wirelessly against each other.. She was so stunned! grin

Welcome to the new world my dear.. The expectation for kids are higher now. A kid wakes up by 6 and is at school till 5pm with barely 2hrs of break inbetween. My brother had to do School, extra-classes, Home-teacher, Saturday was Teakwando practice and Drama rehersals for school plays.. My kid sister was also the same with Saturdays being Ballet lessons and Music classes. grin

I saw a Chinese Kid on youtube who had mastered so much at his tender age it was shocking.

The truth is that the times have changed greatly from what it used to be.. I remember when we hunted lizards in the neighbourhood until they almost went extinct. grin

This is one of the leading causes of the increase in obesity in children. [/b]
What point exactly does this epistle make? undecided

And we wonder why kids of nowadays are so fat.

2 Likes

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Danhumprey: 4:56pm On Jul 18, 2014
OP,you are so right on point! Thumb up!

There's a saying that "all work and no play,make Jack a dull boy".
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by winiwini: 4:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
NOT PEOPLE CLAMOURING FOR BOOKS
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by Aniroly(m): 5:05pm On Jul 18, 2014
Yea,
you know every parents want to claim holy, honestly when this parents were kids they gets to play as early as and will even sleep off at the play ground or at their veranda but that didnt make them dumb, why should they think that playing makes a kid dumb??
I used to play as much as i can but dat didnt make me dumbtongue
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by 5minsmadness: 5:07pm On Jul 18, 2014
1000likes for you Op!

Parents of nowadays treat children like trophy's instead of human beings: my child can do this, my child can do that, my child can read and he's only 2yrs old, my child is in kg3 already and she's 3yrs...selfish parents!

Most of the parents are not interested in the joy of their children, they are too busy comparing their kids with others for their own useless reasons.
Selfish parents!

5 Likes

Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by 2scorehigh(m): 5:08pm On Jul 18, 2014
OP, you have a point there.

Even secondary school students are not spared with school period lasting from 8am - 4pm every week day.

Gone are those days when school periods last from 7am - 1pm.

Funny enough, the long hours they spend in schools doing preps & extramural classes do not reflect that well in their SSCE results.

I guess we need a total system overhauling.
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by silverprince413(m): 5:17pm On Jul 18, 2014
justi4jesu:

lol..what are u insinuating grin
they don't take chances with their meals
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by NUGAWHITE(m): 5:17pm On Jul 18, 2014
And so what! Is it everybody that read the one u posted or is it a crime to post another one by some1 else?
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by lilbabyak(m): 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
ok now make we call you patentee
Re: Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play by NUGAWHITE(m): 5:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
And so what! is it everybody that read the one u posted or is it a crime to post another one by somebody else?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Is My Mother In Law Asking For My Genotype? / Security Tips For Ladies. / Ladies Talk To Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.