Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,095 members, 7,953,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:34 PM

NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? (26145 Views)

NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG: An Unnecessary Battle / Nma Vs Johesu Faceoff: Matters Arising By Deji Gbogi / NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why The Hatred For Doctors??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Cityguy: 6:03pm On Jul 11, 2014
creativeEngr:

@DebateNigeria,

1. I feel the topic of your post is rather misinformed because from all comments I''ve read regarding the on-going strike, I am yet to see one that suggests Doctors are hated... We only dislike the attitude of Doctors but we don't blame them, it's really the fault of Government... you may wish to read my comments from another thread - https://www.nairaland.com/creativeengr/posts

2. The issue of Doctors is peculiar to Nigeria because Society has allowed you guys become so arrogant perhaps, due to the perception that becoming a Doctor isnt easy but which course is easy? Yes, it is more demanding, it takes longer, others are already employed while Doctors are still in school and bla bla bla . The last I checked, nobody is forced to study medicine and so if it takes longer or demands more, that has to do with the nature of the course and it's part of a noble sacrifice to our collective humanity... Can Doctors take the role of nurses, accountants, security, lawyers, engineers alone in society? We all need Doctors just as Doctors need us period!. this "I better pass my neighbour" mentality is also apparent in military men, lawyers to mention few.. for Doctors, this is part of what informs their regular strike actions but we can't blame them.. what should you expect in a society where a senator earns what 25 professors of medicine earn for doing literally and absolutely NOTHING... This is the root of the problems of Doctors...

Hey, I am not saying Doctors shouldn't be well paid but beyond take home pay or titles, what is the state of our hospitals?

Before you crush me by saying it's not the fault of Doctors, it's an open secret that substantial private hospitals are owned or run by Doctors, including consultants that acquired their expertise on the bill of Govt.. a close friend once told me how a CMD in a Govt. Teaching hospital advised him to always put aside extra cash to fly himself or his family abroad in the event of emergencies.. meanwhile, he owns at least 3 private clinics... who is fooling who? The Doctors, like top Military Generals or Phcn officials remain a major part of the problems faced in their respective sectors...

yes, we admit problems in the system but the solutions are deeper than what strike or getting Govt to pay more money can solve...

Hmmmm, I tire for most people. It's very laughable when I read comments like the doctors 'have and run private facilities'. Why don't you ppl check what the ethics of the profession says about doctors at their leisure hours? So, it's an offence to 'struggle' to make ends meet? It is even a thing of shame that rather than observe rest after tedious work in the hospitals, these overworked and underappreciated doctors have to strain to survive. In an ideal society, they even have enough savings for vacations. Medical practice is almost a curse in Nigeria! However, this double standard does not see anything wrong when a pharmacist opens a shop, a lab guy opens one and diverts so called consumables there to run the enterprise. What people see is the doctor. I don't think I should crucify a teacher who engages in lessons for students who can afford so as to shore-up fund for his survival. Are we not living witnesses to our pensioners dropping dead on the line for verification after verification? Is that the future to look forward to?
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Period007(m): 6:03pm On Jul 11, 2014
NMA has totally lost this one
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by armadeo(m): 6:05pm On Jul 11, 2014
candy:

You have not told us how you chose your RESPONDENTS.

The fact that 60% of the respondents in your "research" work agreed that Pharmacy is tougher than Medicine can't be validated until you are able to prove that your respondents are a true representation of OAU students who at one point in their student lives actually studied Medicine and Pharmacy.

dont waste your time, people are fond of throwing around statistics like magicians pulling figures from the air. this guy will pretend not to see your question.
one guy said 70% of Drs are untrained or something like he actually carried out a study.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by armadeo(m): 6:08pm On Jul 11, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
Your level of ignorance is pathetic .
Do you know how much doctors in India are paid compared to other health workers ? Do you know that the hospitals people like you go to in India are privately owned & headed by doctors ?
People like you love to denigrate everything done by people of your own race .
I shake my head for you.

'...he who is not proud of his color is not fit to live ...'
----James Aggrey

i wanted to say this to the post you quoted, Drs dont go around parading themselves as Drs cos its already who they are, its those who aren't but want to be that parade themselves.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 11, 2014
armadeo:

dont waste your time, people are fond of throwing around statistics like magicians pulling figures from the air. this guy will pretend not to see your question.
one guy said 70% of Drs are untrained or something like he actually carried out a study.
You bet I'm just pulling his legs! I just find it funny how people pull figures out of their A-holes to back up false claims all in the name of bringing down doctors.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Cityguy: 6:32pm On Jul 11, 2014
saganuwa: as a doctor especially in pediatrics, your patients problems becomes yours. when they need blood, doctors donate, pay for drugs for families who are too poor and u call them selfish! wow.
You blame them? Some are under what you can call 'bandwagon' or 'mob' effect. Years back, theatre staff had told my CMD while he was operating a patient that I stood for pints of blood for the said patient and he smiled after which he said 'my boy, you will understand with time'. That I still remember till date. The patient refused paying and part of my first salary as an intern was deducted at source. I can't count the number of times patients absconded after begging and promising to pay if only you could help them out. For those in the know, that word 'selfish' had lost it's bite and potency. In my PGDMgt class, I was taught that even one great economist said society develops when people pay for what they consume. My barber has it written somewhere in his shop 'No credit today, come tomorrow'. This our mentality has to change.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by armadeo(m): 6:41pm On Jul 11, 2014
Cityguy:
You blame them? Some are under what you can call 'bandwagon' or 'mob' effect. Years back, theatre staff had told my CMD while he was operating a patient that I stood for pints of blood for the said patient and he smiled after which he said 'my boy, you will understand with time'. That I still remember till date. The patient refused paying and part of my first salary as an intern was deducted at source. I can't count the number of times patients absconded after begging and promising to pay if only you could help them out. For those in the know, that word 'selfish' had lost it's bite and potency. In my PGDMgt class, I was taught that even one great economist said society develops when people pay for what they consume. My barber has it written somewhere in his shop 'No credit today, come tomorrow'. This our mentality has to change.

but you be Dr na, that barber suppose dey cut your hair free since you dey save lives. abi u never tell am?
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Cityguy: 6:51pm On Jul 11, 2014
armadeo:

but you be Dr na, that barber suppose dey cut your hair free since you dey save lives. abi u never tell am?
Abeg, that one no be I'm problem o, he has wife and children to feed. He no fit go market by anything with my 'Dr'
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
This is a serious issue. As a pharmacist I don't want to blame my doctor friends at all. Everybody, including other health workers n the government should be held responsible for the present challenges we are facing in the health sector. I sometimes day dream about when things would become alright and everyone, including our patients would smile. Maybe this is the right time to settle it one and for all. Please, stop casting aspersions at people, but pray for a better future for all. Tnx. Love u all d docs n other health workers in the house, plus our esteemed patients. Forgive us for any lapses in d discharge of our duties. We promise to serve u better.

4 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by NaMe4: 7:05pm On Jul 11, 2014
^^^^This is one of the most sensible posts I have seen from a pharmacist on NL.

No offiieeeenssee!
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by biomedixexcel(m): 8:13pm On Jul 11, 2014
Hmmmmm
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 8:23pm On Jul 11, 2014
OkikiOluwa1:
Welcome to Nairaland.
Be ready to recieve insults from right, left & centre. You can also insult back. It's the situation here. Don't let the insults bother you. Let your mind be strong against cyber bully. And you can defend yourself legally by reporting insultive members to moderators who ll jail (ban) them.
Last Bullet
You v made some valid points. I hope the whole saga end well soon.
Noted. Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by kmariko: 8:24pm On Jul 11, 2014
An MD degree is not a prerequisite to Head a Hospital

Stephen L. Mansfield, PhD, FACHE
President and CEO, Methodist Health System

Stephen L. Mansfield, PhD, FACHE, is president and CEO of Methodist Health System, having assumed the role in 2006. Before joining Methodist, Dr. Mansfield served seven years as president and CEO of the five-hospital St. Vincent Health System based in Little Rock, Ark., and prior to that he held a variety of administrative positions within the Baptist Memorial Health Care System in Memphis, Tenn., for 23 years.

Under his guidance, Methodist Health System has doubled in size and experienced the most profitable years in its history. Methodist has been recognized by Thomson Reuters as one of the nation's top health care performance improvement leaders, and it has earned honors from publications including Modern Healthcare, the Dallas Business Journal, and The Dallas Morning News as a leading employer and recognized as a Best Place to Work. In 2012, Modern Healthcare listed Methodist among the “40 Fastest Growing Healthcare Companies in America.”

Dr. Mansfield holds a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Administration from Ottawa University in Kansas, an MBA from the University of Tennessee at Martin, and a Ph.D. in organizational leadership from Regent University in Virginia Beach, Va. He is an active member of the Dallas Regional Chamber®. Dr. Mansfield is also a member of the board of directors for Dallas County Community College District Foundation; a board member of the Dallas Citizens Council; a board member of the North Texas Commission; a board member of the NRMI of the University of Tennessee @ Martin; a board member of MD Buyline; and a member of the Institute of Healthcare Executives and Suppliers. Dr. Mansfield was named to the 2011 Becker's Hospital Review "Hospital and Health System Leaders to Know" list and was acknowledged by the Texas Chapter of the March of Dimes as Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser. In 2012, he was recognized with the Ernst & Young
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 8:25pm On Jul 11, 2014
oshytayman: This is a serious issue. As a pharmacist I don't want to blame my doctor friends at all. Everybody, including other health workers n the government should be held responsible for the present challenges we are facing in the health sector. I sometimes day dream about when things would become alright and everyone, including our patients would smile. Maybe this is the right time to settle it one and for all. Please, stop casting aspersions at people, but pray for a better future for all. Tnx. Love u all d docs n other health workers in the house, plus our esteemed patients. Forgive us for any lapses in d discharge of our duties. We promise to serve u better.

Wow, what a comment. You are a great mind.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 8:27pm On Jul 11, 2014
Mobsync:

You have a point but would your sister have survived if the doctors were on strike?
Maybe not. That is why we are appealing to the doctors to call of their strike while we also advice the FG government to end this rift once and for all and put machinery in place to forestall future industrial actions.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by nagoma(m): 8:27pm On Jul 11, 2014
warrior01: Hate doctors? The fact is those people in Nigeria that parade themselves as Doctors, don't know what it really means to be a mreal doctor. No ethics, no compassion and no proffessionalism. All we have is a bunch of greedy people that is full of unnecessary pride. If you doubt me, why do our people rush to India for proper treatment?

If only Doctors are that bad why don't those (going to India) stay in Nigeria to be treated by the wonderful courteous and knowledgeable jOHESU in the we
L equipped wonderful hospitals we have in Nigeria. After all the Drs. Are on strike so no interference for the real caring all knowing JoHESU people,
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by kmariko: 8:32pm On Jul 11, 2014
The President of the famed John Hopkins is not an MD

Mr. Ronald R. Peterson
President of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System

A 1970 graduate of The Johns Hopkins University, with a master's degree in hospital administration from The George Washington University, Mr. Peterson is vice chairman of The Governor’s Workforce Investment Board, a member of the Maryland Hospital Association Executive Committee, and holds an appointment to the Notre Dame of Maryland University President’s Advisory Council. He serves as a member of the boards of Big Brother Big Sister of the Greater Chesapeake, the Maryland Business Roundtable for Education, the Living Classrooms Foundation, the Greater Baltimore Committee and the Center Club. Most recently, he completed terms as a member of the Board of Governors of the University HealthSystem Consortium, and the Joint Commission Center for Transforming Health Care’s Leadership Advisory Council.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 8:37pm On Jul 11, 2014
kmariko: The President of the famed John Hopkins is not an MD

Mr. Ronald R. Peterson
President of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System

A 1970 graduate of The Johns Hopkins University, with a master's degree in hospital administration from The George Washington University, Mr. Peterson is vice chairman of The Governor’s Workforce Investment Board, a member of the Maryland Hospital Association Executive Committee, and holds an appointment to the Notre Dame of Maryland University President’s Advisory Council. He serves as a member of the boards of Big Brother Big Sister of the Greater Chesapeake, the Maryland Business Roundtable for Education, the Living Classrooms Foundation, the Greater Baltimore Committee and the Center Club. Most recently, he completed terms as a member of the Board of Governors of the University HealthSystem Consortium, and the Joint Commission Center for Transforming Health Care’s Leadership Advisory Council.
Hey bro, don't even start with Johns Hopkins. In Johns Hopkins, a non medical doctor cannot head the hospital or college of medicine. Have you taken out time to read the history of that hospital. Ronald is just like most board chairmen of Nigerian hospital who are not necessarily medical doctors but the CMD (CEO in this contest) must be a medical doctor.
The CEO of Johns Hopkins is a medical doctor, his name is Dr Paul B. Rothman, a Rheumatologist. For the benefit of all, I will post pictures and references here. The founding staffs of Johns Hopkins also known as the "Big four" were all medical doctors. Please read and read wide and read details.
If you guys take a closer look, Rothman's name is the first on the list because he's the CEO, even though he's the board Vice President. Almost all the board Chairmen (president) of our hospitals are not medical doctors, either politicians or businessmen and they rank higher than our CMDs.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johns_Hopkins_Hospital
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johns_Hopkins_Hospital

1 Like

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Hearme(m): 8:41pm On Jul 11, 2014
lomaxx:

No sentiments are involved.

I have nothing against any profession using any title as deem fit. Totally nothing. What I have against is that poster saying that doctors prevent other health professionals from using the title "doctor".

This is not true. We have Doctor of Optometry and Doctor Of Pharmacy.

How has doctors prevented optometrists and pharmacists from using the title "doctor"?

So why don't you want the word consultant in optometry or other fields in pharmacy, physiotherapy and others. Why do your leaders try to sideline virologist, parasitologist and other very relevant professions in the medical field.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by kmariko: 8:41pm On Jul 11, 2014
President of the famed Texas Children hospital is not an MD

Mark A. Wallace
President and Chief Executive Officer

Mark A. Wallace was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer of Texas Children's Hospital in 1989, at the age of 36. Under his leadership, Texas Children's Hospital has grown into one of the nation’s largest and most comprehensive pediatric and women’s health care organizations, garnering more than 3.2 million patient encounters annually, achieving international recognition as a referral center and ranking among the best pediatric hospitals in the nation.

Mark A. WallaceIn 2013, Texas Children’s Hospital was once again named as a national leader among pediatric hospitals in U.S.News & World Report’s 2012-13 edition of Best Children’s Hospitals. Ranked 4th among all children’s hospitals nationally and one of only 12 hospitals to achieve the Honor Roll designation, Texas Children’s is the only hospital in Texas – and the entire southern region of the U.S. – awarded this distinction. And it was founded at least 60 years later than all of the other top-ranked hospitals on the list.

Prior to his current position at Texas Children's Hospital, Mr. Wallace was a senior vice president at The Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas, having both staff-related and extensive line operation responsibilities in a large, tertiary care, teaching environment. Mr. Wallace holds the distinction of being one of the few executives in the country who advanced to fellowship status in the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) at the age of 35. Continuing his involvement with ACHE, he has served twice as president of the Houston chapter.

Mr. Wallace holds degrees from Oklahoma Baptist University and Washington University in St. Louis. He is married to Shannon Baronette Wallace, and they have two children, five grandsons and one granddaughter.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 8:51pm On Jul 11, 2014
kmariko: President of the famed Texas Children hospital is not an MD

Mark A. Wallace
President and Chief Executive Officer

Mark A. Wallace was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer of Texas Children's Hospital in 1989, at the age of 36. Under his leadership, Texas Children's Hospital has grown into one of the nation’s largest and most comprehensive pediatric and women’s health care organizations, garnering more than 3.2 million patient encounters annually, achieving international recognition as a referral center and ranking among the best pediatric hospitals in the nation.

Mark A. WallaceIn 2013, Texas Children’s Hospital was once again named as a national leader among pediatric hospitals in U.S.News & World Report’s 2012-13 edition of Best Children’s Hospitals. Ranked 4th among all children’s hospitals nationally and one of only 12 hospitals to achieve the Honor Roll designation, Texas Children’s is the only hospital in Texas – and the entire southern region of the U.S. – awarded this distinction. And it was founded at least 60 years later than all of the other top-ranked hospitals on the list.

Prior to his current position at Texas Children's Hospital, Mr. Wallace was a senior vice president at The Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas, having both staff-related and extensive line operation responsibilities in a large, tertiary care, teaching environment. Mr. Wallace holds the distinction of being one of the few executives in the country who advanced to fellowship status in the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) at the age of 35. Continuing his involvement with ACHE, he has served twice as president of the Houston chapter.

Mr. Wallace holds degrees from Oklahoma Baptist University and Washington University in St. Louis. He is married to Shannon Baronette Wallace, and they have two children, five grandsons and one granddaughter.
Again, give me a few mins to do my research on this.
Mr. Wallace is nit a doctor neither is he a nurse or scientist or pharmacist. He's a health manager. Now did you read about the leadership of the hospital? After mr Wallace whose not even a health practitioner, the next 3 in the hierarchy are all medical doctors.
I am one of the advocate for non health care providers (health managers) to head our hospitals. But if the leadership must come from amongst the health care providers, then it must go to the doctors as obtained in the USA as you have highlighted.

I will continue to analyze your comments and post my opinion.

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by kmariko: 8:52pm On Jul 11, 2014
President of the Boston medical center is not an MD

Who We Are
About the CEO

Kate Walsh
President and CEO

Kate Walsh, CEO and President of Boston Medical Center, effective March 1, 2010Kate Walsh became the president and CEO of Boston Medical Center (BMC) on March 1, 2010.

Prior to her appointment at Boston Medical Center, Ms. Walsh served as executive vice president and chief operating officer of Brigham and Women’s Hospital for five years. She served previously as the chief operating officer for Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research.

Ms. Walsh began her career in health care as a summer intern at Brookside Health Center in the Boston neighborhood of Jamaica Plain. Upon finishing graduate school, she held positions in a number of New York City hospitals including Montefiore, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, Saint Luke’s – Roosevelt Hospital Center and the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation. She relocated to Boston and joined Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) as an assistant general director in medical services and was promoted to vice president of medical services and primary care and then to senior vice president of medical services and the MGH Cancer Center.

Ms. Walsh received her bachelor’s of arts degree and a master’s degree in public health from Yale University. She is a member of the Boards of Trustees of Emmanuel College, the YMCA of Greater Boston, the Boston Public Health Commission, the Massachusetts Hospital Association, the Council of Teaching Hospitals, and the Yale University School of Medicine. She is also a member of the Advisory Board of the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, the Health Care Institute and the Boston Green Ribbon Commission.

Ms. Walsh, a native of Brookline, is married and has two child
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by VantagePoint: 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2014
Cityguy:
I was actually punished by my consultant during internship days for not paying #2000 for a baby's medications from my own pocket (the poor parents had absconded) in the Special Care Baby Unit of UCH.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 9:09pm On Jul 11, 2014
kmariko: President of the Boston medical center is not an MD

Who We Are
About the CEO

Kate Walsh
President and CEO

Kate Walsh, CEO and President of Boston Medical Center, effective March 1, 2010Kate Walsh became the president and CEO of Boston Medical Center (BMC) on March 1, 2010.

Prior to her appointment at Boston Medical Center, Ms. Walsh served as executive vice president and chief operating officer of Brigham and Women’s Hospital for five years. She served previously as the chief operating officer for Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research.

Ms. Walsh began her career in health care as a summer intern at Brookside Health Center in the Boston neighborhood of Jamaica Plain. Upon finishing graduate school, she held positions in a number of New York City hospitals including Montefiore, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, Saint Luke’s – Roosevelt Hospital Center and the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation. She relocated to Boston and joined Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) as an assistant general director in medical services and was promoted to vice president of medical services and primary care and then to senior vice president of medical services and the MGH Cancer Center.

Ms. Walsh received her bachelor’s of arts degree and a master’s degree in public health from Yale University. She is a member of the Boards of Trustees of Emmanuel College, the YMCA of Greater Boston, the Boston Public Health Commission, the Massachusetts Hospital Association, the Council of Teaching Hospitals, and the Yale University School of Medicine. She is also a member of the Advisory Board of the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, the Health Care Institute and the Boston Green Ribbon Commission.

Again, let's look into this, I will be back shortly

Again I have looked into it. What you are referring to is just like the board chairman. This is a link to those who run the hospital. The first three in the hierarchy are all medical doctors while the fourth is a nurse. http://www.bmc.org/about/who/executive-leadership.htm

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by kmariko: 9:13pm On Jul 11, 2014
CEO of Herman memorial Hospital ( one of the largest in Houston) is not an MD

Craig Cordola Named CEO of Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center
HOUSTON, TX (September28, 2010)

Memorial Hermann Healthcare System recently announced the promotion of Craig Cordola to CEO, Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, following his successful and widely respected seven-year tenure as Assistant Vice President and then CEO of Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital . Cordola is also the Associate Dean for Hospital Affairs and Community Partnerships at The University of Texas Medical School - Houston. He succeeds Juanita Romans, who is retiring.

He joined Memorial Hermann in 2003 as assistant vice president of operations for the Children's Hospital, with additional responsibilities overseeing volunteer, environmental, facility and chaplaincy services for the Memorial Hermann-TMC. Previously, he worked as A Director of Operations for Texas Children's Pediatric Associates and Texas Children's Hospital after serving in management capacities for other healthcare organizations.

Cordola has served as an adjunct faculty member of the University of Houston Clear Lake Healthcare Administration Program and a board member of the university's alumni association. He holds master's degrees in business and healthcare administration from the University of Houston at Clear Lake and a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Texas at Austin. Cordola is a fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives, and serves on numerous community boards.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by kmariko: 9:17pm On Jul 11, 2014
DebateNigeria:
Again, give me a few mins to do my research on this.
Mr. Wallace is nit a doctor neither is he a nurse or scientist or pharmacist. He's a health manager. Now did you read about the leadership of the hospital? After mr Wallace whose not even a health practitioner, the next 3 in the hierarchy are all medical doctors.
I am one of the advocate for non health care providers (health managers) to head our hospitals. But if the leadership must come from amongst the health care providers, then it must go to the doctors as obtained in the USA as you have highlighted.

I will continue to analyze your comments and post my opinion.

So if an RN with degrees in Hospital management and years of management experience to match they should not head a hospital or a health care system because they are healthcare providers right... Is that your basic argument
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by infolekan(m): 9:18pm On Jul 11, 2014
kmariko: President of the Boston medical center is not an MD

Who We Are
About the CEO

Kate Walsh
President and CEO

Lack of knowledge is dangerous.
Boston Medical Centre is a private medical academic centre.
You'll be surprised that most of those places you mentioned are wholly owned by individuals and corporations so they can put anyone they see fit to head.
And you keep forgetting that Nigeria isn't a Capitalist country and we don't have any centre in the country that can compare to any of these centre's.
It's also one of the leading Medical research institutions in US of A.
We don't have any real research going on in our universities here not to talk of our Hospitals. Need I Say More.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by kmariko: 9:26pm On Jul 11, 2014
infolekan:

Lack of knowledge is dangerous.
Boston Medical Centre is a private medical academic centre.
You'll be surprised that most of those places you mentioned are wholly owned by individuals and corporations so they can put anyone they see fit to head.
And you keep forgetting that Nigeria isn't a Capitalist country and we don't have any centre in the country that can compare to any of these centre's.
It's also one of the leading Medical research institutions in US of A.
We don't have any real research going on in our universities here not to talk of our Hospitals. Need I Say More.

I agree with you am an illiterate that lack basic knowledge of how things work and Nigeria in general still that begs the question . Are those places hospitals where people who are sick go for treatment. Its a simple question by an illiterate like me . if you would kindly proper an answer to my simple question
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by creativeEngr: 9:29pm On Jul 11, 2014
Cityguy:
Hmmmm, I tire for most people. It's very laughable when I read comments like the doctors 'have and run private facilities'. Why don't you ppl check what the ethics of the profession says about doctors at their leisure hours? So, it's an offence to 'struggle' to make ends meet? It is even a thing of shame that rather than observe rest after tedious work in the hospitals, these overworked and underappreciated doctors have to strain to survive. In an ideal society, they even have enough savings for vacations. Medical practice is almost a curse in Nigeria! However, this double standard does not see anything wrong when a pharmacist opens a shop, a lab guy opens one and diverts so called consumables there to run the enterprise. What people see is the doctor. I don't think I should crucify a teacher who engages in lessons for students who can afford so as to shore-up fund for his survival. Are we not living witnesses to our pensioners dropping dead on the line for verification after verification? Is that the future to look forward to?

In other words, since other 'professionals' cut corners, doctors shouldn't be left out of the business of unethical practices that is killing society...

It's unfortunate the extent to which our society has deteriorated inspite of how 'everyone' believes in God. That said, there's nothing wrong with working extra hours regardless of your profession but when a substantial number of Doctors in the employ of Govt abandon their duty post during official work hours to attend to their private patients who obviously pay more, it's saddening to put it mild.. Except, we want to feign ignorance, this we know is the standard practice.... Tell me how health care in Govt hospitals can grow under these circumstance... Note that I haven't mentioned the art of diverting equipment, medicines, vaccines, etc from Govt hospitals... The decision makers who are also key players in NMA, JOHESU, etc are the same ones who force others on strike...

Yes, other professionals outside the medical field are also guilty where applicable but besides ASUU, others don't hold the country to ransom with frivolous demands... What is wrong is wrong... Perhaps, the only effective means to get their voices heard is strike action and as such, I wouldn't blame Doctors but what is ironic to a thinking mind is how the same profession that should save lives abandon their noble calling on a consistent basis over welfare demands, chieftancy titles SORRY, CONSULTANCY titles, etc while people are dying... Hmm, why should we worry about the state of public hospitals when God will always heal us 'miraculously' , only believe ...

Every society gets the leadership it deserves, ours inclusive. I rest my case
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 9:30pm On Jul 11, 2014
kmariko: CEO of Herman memorial Hospital ( one of the largest in Houston) is not an MD

Craig Cordola Named CEO of Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center
HOUSTON, TX (September28, 2010)

Memorial Hermann Healthcare System recently announced the promotion of Craig Cordola to CEO, Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, following his successful and widely respected seven-year tenure as Assistant Vice President and then CEO of Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital . Cordola is also the Associate Dean for Hospital Affairs and Community Partnerships at The University of Texas Medical School - Houston. He succeeds Juanita Romans, who is retiring.

He joined Memorial Hermann in 2003 as assistant vice president of operations for the Children's Hospital, with additional responsibilities overseeing volunteer, environmental, facility and chaplaincy services for the Memorial Hermann-TMC. Previously, he worked as A Director of Operations for Texas Children's Pediatric Associates and Texas Children's Hospital after serving in management capacities for other healthcare organizations.

Cordola has served as an adjunct faculty member of the University of Houston Clear Lake Healthcare Administration Program and a board member of the university's alumni association. He holds master's degrees in business and healthcare administration from the University of Houston at Clear Lake and a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Texas at Austin. Cordola is a fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives, and serves on numerous community boards.

I will look into this
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by kmariko: 9:34pm On Jul 11, 2014
DebateNigeria:

I will look into this

While you are at it sir, look up St. Luke's some of their vice presidents are RNs.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 9:35pm On Jul 11, 2014
kmariko:

So if an RN with degrees in Hospital management and years of management experience to match they should not head a hospital or a health care system because they are healthcare providers right... Is that your basic argument
@Kmariko, I am really loving this debate. What you have succeeded in showing us are non health care professionals heading the "boards" of hospitals in the USA. What you have not shown us, that may convince people like me are career nurses, medical laboratory scientists and pharmacists who are heads of hospitals in the USA who rose through the ranks to become CEO not health managers.
And yes, I can tell you that pharmacist, laboratory scientist and nurses who are politically inclined have been appointed as board chairmen of hospitals which makes them superior to CMDs who are medical doctors.
Let the debate continue.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Gonorrhoea Is Becoming Untreatable, WHO Warns / 6 Surprising Heart Disease Warning Signs (and What To Do About Them). / When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.