Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

All You Should Know When Your Little One Has Diarrhoea - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / All You Should Know When Your Little One Has Diarrhoea (3581 Views)

What Could This Little One Be Thinking / Your Little Daughter Has A Boyfriend. First Reaction? / What Will You Do If You Return Home And Find Your Little Child Doing This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All You Should Know When Your Little One Has Diarrhoea by Mamagidi(f): 12:45pm On Jul 11, 2014

DIARRHOEA IS BAD ENOUGH when it is suffered by an adult, but when it happens to a baby, you can’t help but feel bad. And if you’re the mum, you’ll probably have to deal with feelings of guilt too; “Did I not feed him well? Was I unhygienic with his food?” and so many other questions may go through your mind. Thankfully, diarrhoea can be managed fairly well.

DIARRHOEA: WHAT IS IT?

You know your baby has diarrhoea when he passes watery stool that have no lumps in them. It usually comes with other symptoms like vomiting, fever and mucus in the stool.

WHAT CAUSES DIARRHOEA?

*** A virus called Rotavirus has been discovered as the most common cause. It causes an infection of the gut (gastroenteritis), damaging the inner lining of the baby’s intestine. This causes food to pass through without the body absorbing any nutrients. Under normal circumstances though, the vaccine against Rotavirus is one of the routine immunisations your child will be given.

*** Reaction from intolerance to breastmilk or formula feeds

*** Unhygienic preparation of formula feeds

*** Colds

WHAT TO DO…

*** DO NOT give a baby anti-diarrhoea medicine as it is not suitable for children under 12 years.

*** DO hydrate constantly. N0te that hydration is very key in treating diarrhoea because your baby is losing a lot of fluids by stooling constantly.

*** Try giving your child an Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT). You may consult your doctor on h0w best to administer this.

*** DO NOT give fruit juices or even glucose drinks. Stick with the breastmilk or formula, water and ORT.

Under normal circumstances, diarrhoea should last for only a couple of hours, so when it’s running into more than one day, you should consult your doctor.

DANGER SIGNS…

If you notice any of the following, you should definitely consult your doctor:

*** Limpness

*** Dry lips

*** Crying without tears

*** Discolouration in hands and feet

*** Extremely yellow urine

*** Swollen tummy

*** Excessive vomiting

*** High fever

*** Refusal to drink

PREVENTING DIARRHEA

Hygiene is very key when it comes to preventing diarrhoea. Washing your hands before making baby food and feeding should be a habit.

Meanwhile, make sure your baby is as comfortable and dry as possible. Nappy-changing should be done tenderly because baby’s bottom is usually sore when he has diarrhoea. In no time at all, your baby should be his usual, cheerful self again!

SOURCE: http://www.mamagidi.com/diarrhoea-babies-know/

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Which Handcraft Is The Best? ??? / My Boss is Toasting Me. Should I tell My Husband? / My Mum's Use Of Words..please Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.