Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment (19077 Views)

15 Casual Workers Needed Urgently / Casual Workers Needed Urgently / How To Stop Receiving Scam Job Test/Interview Messages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 12, 2014
The House of Representatives moved on Thursday to stop the practice of recruiting workers as "casual, contract or temporary staff" in the country's labour industry.

A bill to limit the casual or temporary status of employees to two years, passed second reading at the House on Thursday.

It is an amendment bill to the Labour Act, 2004.

By the provision of the bill, employers are required to convert any casual worker in their organisations to "permanent status" immediately they clock two years working as temporary staff.

The sponsor of the bill, Mr. Emmanuel Jime, told the House that there were many Nigerians working as "casual staff for years" in some organisations without any indications that they would be converted to permanent staff.

He argued that the practice created discrimination in the work place, making those workers remain inferior to others.

Besides, Jime noted that the discrimination affected the economic well-being of the casual workers.

"It means, we have two categories of workers. We have the permanent ones and the casual ones in the same work place. This division is unacceptable and unhealthy for economic  growth", he added.

The long title of the bill read, “A Bill for Act to Amend the Labour Act, Cap. LI, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, to Provide a Time frame for the Regulation of Casual or Temporary Employment to Permanent Status by all Employers of Labour in Nigeria and for other Matters Related thereto.”

Members applauded the bill, passing it for the second reading in a voice vote.

The session was presided over by the Deputy Speaker, Mr. Emeka Ihedioha

40 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by bigx(m): 7:39am On Jul 12, 2014
Sack after 23 months and re-employ, simple grin

50 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by MissIndependent(f): 7:48am On Jul 12, 2014
Nice development.

Sidon look things grin

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by Atyodos: 8:52am On Jul 12, 2014
God Bless u Barister Emmanuel Jime. I hope this sees the light at the end of the day.

5 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by aseczyl(m): 9:47am On Jul 12, 2014
Nice one
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by benodic: 10:08am On Jul 12, 2014
I hope that the house is also aware that many states in the northern part of Nigeria employ non-indigenes under contract appointment . states like kano, katsina, zamfara, jigawa, kebbi, etc. are still doing so till now.

4 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by Beesluv: 11:30am On Jul 12, 2014
benodic:
I hope that the house is also aware that many states in the northern part of Nigeria employ non-indigenes under contract appointment . states like kano, katsina, zamfara, jigawa, kebbi, etc. are still doing so till now.

So you mean it's only in the North you find contract staff? SMH lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by menix(m): 11:31am On Jul 12, 2014
benodic:

Oga u ve not yet made sense kindly throw more lite..

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by papannamdi1(m): 12:21pm On Jul 12, 2014
bigx: Sack after 23 months and re-employ, simple grin
may God not make u an employer of labour

25 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by Coldplay007(f): 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2014
menix:

Oga u ve not yet made sense kindly throw more lite..
What he is saying is that Northern state govts only recruits southerners has contract staff..

Back to the topic..
I believe this policy will only worsen the predicament of casual workers. All employers will only give them 23 months contracts.. they will then disengage them and employ new casual workers..

5 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by bigx(m): 12:32pm On Jul 12, 2014
papannamdi1:
may God not make u an employer of labour

Same to you, 10 fold grin

I wonder why you all are scared of the truth, that is what would happen and you would just come to Nairaland to complain and disturb God using His name in vain.

4 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by Smartsyn(m): 12:34pm On Jul 12, 2014
contract employment pays... am a beneficiary

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by double08(m): 12:36pm On Jul 12, 2014
And they will reduce the contract to one year.
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by mazizitonene(m): 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
To permanent employment?
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by collinsJn(m): 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
Very Nice Move.
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by crownwealth: 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2014
Nigerians need jobs
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:42pm On Jul 12, 2014
Alright!
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by Youngzedd(m): 12:43pm On Jul 12, 2014
Really?

Nice development if you ask me.

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by Afrocatalyst: 12:43pm On Jul 12, 2014
Yes o. It should be stopped.
Monkey dey work,baboo dey chop.

Let employment be offered directly pls.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by marv1: 12:44pm On Jul 12, 2014
Smartsyn: contract employment pays... am a beneficiary
how explain futher d benefits
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2014
I Wish oga seun can just employ me on nairaland for 2years. I will ban every one especially the Igbos cool

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by myspnigeria: 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2014
nice move.... hope it becomes a law soon
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by marv1: 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2014
Even some banks staff are causual staffs

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by ijbeauty(f): 12:49pm On Jul 12, 2014
I hope its for the best......
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by hollandis(f): 12:49pm On Jul 12, 2014
fooolish country.Daft insane leaders .of course it will be an opportunity to reintroduce nepotism.Fooolish nairalanders are even supporting

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by vanstanzy(m): 12:50pm On Jul 12, 2014
Interesting! But is this the only right approach? Civilized countries also do casual/ contract employment because it pays heavily than the permanent staffs. Since casuals do not enjoy perks like the permanent staffs, their take home pay is normally three times to four times greater. But in Nigeria, its a different ball game, cos the casuals even earn less and upon that are sometimes treated like houseboys in the establishment. For me another clause should be introduced, if a company must take a casual, the company should pay the casual three times what a permanent staff of the same level in the organisation earns. Keeping the casual for two years before converting him/ her to permanent status is good. At least the organisation should take the first 18 months to assess the staff, whether to keep him beyond two years or not. Instead of wasting his time.
I say kudos all the same, hope this bill pulls through and speedily too.

10 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by yemmight(m): 12:51pm On Jul 12, 2014
I am in full support of this initiative but Nigeria still not in good position to stop casual or temporary employment. Majority of Employers are fully involved in this to enable them skip paying other benefits and entitlements. In oil and gas industries, banks etc, temporary employees are majority. But let us be told, those temporary employees will prefer to hold their jobs than loosing out. If this is mandated, some employees will have to go home and other will experience downward review of salaries. Stopping of this practice will only work in a country where unemployment rate not on the high side.
Re: Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment by Godfullsam(m): 12:52pm On Jul 12, 2014
I pray it works..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? / Ushers Needed In Lagos / Baker Hughes Massive Recruitment 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.