Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,917 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? (21882 Views)

Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering / Private And Goverment Recognised Schools Of Nursing In Nigeria. / Studying Nursing Or Pharmacy:which One Pays More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by faithugo64(f): 2:10pm On Jul 12, 2014
please anyone with sufficient information on both should please enlighten us
Re: School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 12, 2014
My candid advice is that you do it in a university.

Forget this talk about not having enough hands on experience when studied in a univ.
Re: School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 12, 2014
I'd advice one to go to the university to study Nursing instead of School of Nursing. Although it depends on the situation.

Reason: In the Nigerian University, it's just 5 years (minus strike, that's if it's a federal school) to get a Nursing degree, while in School of Nursing it takes 3 years to get a Nursing diploma (RN) and another 4 years in the university to get a Nursing degree. But, if you plan on going outside the country after getting your RN, where you'll just spend 3 semesters - depending on the school tho - to get your degree, I think it would be better going to a nursing school considering the issue of strike in this country. Nursing school students are more exposed to the practical aspect of nursing than those in the university and also the school is more strict and disciplined. In a nursing school, you only have 3 weeks holiday in a year. How does thet sound? Lol

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by faithugo64(f): 5:31pm On Jul 12, 2014
Dazzlee: I'd advice one to go to the university to study Nursing instead of School of Nursing. Although it depends on the situation.
Reason: In the Nigerian University, it's just 5 years (minus strike, that's if it's a federal school) to get a Nursing degree, while in School of Nursing it takes 3 years to get a Nursing diploma (RN) and another 4 years in the university to get a Nursing degree. But, if you plan on going outside the country after getting your RN, where you'll just spend 3 semesters - depending on the school tho - to get your degree, I think it would be better going to a nursing school considering the issue of strike in this country. Nursing school students are more exposed to the practical aspect of nursing than those in the university and also the school is more strict and disciplined. In a nursing school, you only have 3 weeks holiday in a year. How does thet sound? Lol
what about salaries
Re: School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 12, 2014
faithugo64: what about salaries
Most schools have stopped paying nursing students salaries. I don't really know why tho.
Re: School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 12, 2014
Dazzlee: I'd advice one to go to the university to study Nursing instead of School of Nursing. Although it depends on the situation.

. Hi "Unique Lady" re u a Nurse? If yes; where did u skool ?
Re: School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 12, 2014
Raymondenyi: . Hi "Unique Lady" re u a Nurse? If yes; where did u skool ?
Nahh.....not yet. smiley
Re: School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by jedisco(m): 4:53pm On Jul 26, 2014
I would advise you to get the BSc as the SON cert is much more inferior to the university certificate. Remember it's a diploma. It's like comparing OND and a Bachelor's degree.
I know many nurses with RN and the likes who are currently going for BSC. Some teaching hospitals employ only BSc now.

The choice is yours.
Re: School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by shezdbright1: 11:44am On Feb 16, 2019
jedisco:
I would advise you to get the BSc as the SON cert is much more inferior to the university certificate. Remember it's a diploma. It's like comparing OND and a Bachelor's degree.
I know many nurses with RN and the likes who are currently going for BSC. Some teaching hospitals employ only BSc now.

The choice is yours.

What of those that already have a degree in another field e. g Microbiology
Re: School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:53am On Feb 17, 2019
Degree nurses in Nigeria are not too exposed to much practicals compare to their counterparts in other countries. School of nursing exposes you to nursing with practical experience than degree nursing.

(1) (Reply)

2013/2014 Unilag Foundation Programme / Reactions As ASUU Calls Off Strike / 60-Year-Old Man Writing SSCE In Somalia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.