Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,596 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? (817 Views)

Congregation Chases Pastor From Church For Impregnating Member / What Are The Repercussion Of Staying Away From Church For Months? / Pastor Chris Removes Information About His Wife From Church Website, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by Provie(m): 6:00pm On Jul 12, 2014
The book of Proverbs teaches us to get wisdom and understanding because long life is in her hands. Jesus himself says we should be as wise as a serpent... Apostle Paul in the epistles teaches of the Christian virtue of Faith.

Putting all these together, I keep asking myself whether in the face of bombing threats and realities in our country today as orchestrated by d devilish Boko Haram, it is proper for a true Christian to quietly stay away from attending Sunday service to avoid falling a victim.

Let's hear your view. Reasoned and realistic responses please, not fanaticism. Remember that Theology means Reasoned study about God.
Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 12, 2014
My friend, I will proffer my candid unbiased submission on this matter with sayings from the scriptures which I may not have quoted verbatim.

The Bible says we should be as wise as the SERPENT. It also says in proverbs that only a FOOL hears that a lion is in the street and are still devoured by it.

Use you TONGUE to count your TEETH , and decipher Jesus' command when he said "WATCH AND PRAY"

3 Likes

Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by cold(m): 3:34am On Jul 13, 2014
Why should you be scared of boko haram? Have you no faith in your father anymore? Isn't your god capable of pulling you out of the burning furnace like in the days of Shedrach,Meshach and Abednego? Do you no longer believe in the promise that no weapon fashioned against you shall prosper? Didn't your god make you a promise that you shall trample on snakes and they will do you no harm? Besides, don't you want to get to this heaven you so crave for since this world is not our home?Suddenly all these fly out the window at the mention of boko haram.
Ahh,i see what this is about. Self preservation is the first law of nature. God,heaven,precepts and promises,all these can wait for another day. For now common sense reigns supreme. Life is for the living,we can always attend church some other sunday

1 Like

Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by Provie(m): 6:53am On Jul 13, 2014
cold: Why should you be scared of boko haram? Have you no faith in your father anymore? Isn't your god capable of pulling you out of the burning furnace like in the days of Shedrach,Meshach and Abednego? Do you no longer believe in the promise that no weapon fashioned against you shall prosper? Didn't your god make you a promise that you shall trample on snakes and they will do you no harm? Besides, don't you want to get to this heaven you so crave for since this world is not our home?Suddenly all these fly out the window at the mention of boko haram.
Ahh,i see what this is about. Self preservation is the first law of nature. God,heaven,precepts and promises,all these can wait for another day. For now common sense reigns supreme. Life is for the living,we can always attend church some other sunday

Your view has sound biblical foundation. Bt Bible also told us in several places that when d Jews and other detractors sought to kill Jesus He quietly removed himself from dat place.
Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by cold(m): 9:16am On Jul 13, 2014
Provie:

Your view has sound biblical foundation. Bt Bible also told us in several places that when d Jews and other detractors sought to kill Jesus He quietly removed himself from dat place.
Are you a true Christian or a mechanical Christian? Or maybe you're just a 'baby christian' (read that one on Nl.. grin) The lord your god states categorically and unequivocally...

Joshua 1:9 

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by Provie(m): 10:07am On Jul 13, 2014
cold:
Are you a true Christian or a mechanical Christian? Or maybe you're just a 'baby christian' .....

Bro, u can effectively make ur point without being abusive or personal.
Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by cold(m): 10:12am On Jul 13, 2014
Provie:

Bro, u can effectively make ur point without being abusive or personal.
I just asked a question. Nothing wrong with that,is there? My point is as a true Christian nothing should deter you from going to church. But then again your better judgement tells you dying for god isn't really worth it. Life is good.
Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by mmsen: 10:44am On Jul 13, 2014
An intelligent person would stay away from any house of ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by Provie(m): 10:56am On Jul 13, 2014
cold:
I just asked a question. Nothing wrong with that,is there? My point is as a true Christian nothing should deter you from going to church. But then again your better judgement tells you dying for god isn't really worth it. Life is good.

Ok. No hard feelings. Welcome bro.
Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by havilla(f): 3:31pm On Jul 13, 2014
It's funny how church attendance has dropped since the bomb blasts in Abuja, but come out at night on Friday and see how full social gatherings are with people going from one night club to another drinking without thinking about bomb blast.

1 Like

Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by Elijah78: 5:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
I think you are right but i just want to add that, if God drop it in your spirit that you should not go to church on a particular day or time etc, then just be obedient to Him - that is faith.
Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by ByfireByfire: 6:31pm On Jul 13, 2014
cold:
Are you a true Christian or a mechanical Christian? Or maybe you're just a 'baby christian' (read that one on Nl.. grin) The lord your god states categorically and unequivocally...

Joshua 1:9 

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Bros stop being over sentimental over issues. If Jesus himself with all the power & anointing had to withdraw himself so many times at the threat of being killed then you should know better.

Even Jesus himself taught his disciples how to handle such matters in Matthew 10:23:- But when they persecute you in this city, "FLEE YE" into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

If God has not implicitly & expressly told you to go & face death for his names sake, then you aren't doing His will when you go it all on your own.

There where times the apostles ran away from death & persecution but there was a time they willingly & finally yielded to death by matyrdom cos God clearly told them its time.

1 Like

Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by cold(m): 6:44pm On Jul 13, 2014
ByfireByfire:
Bros stop being over sentimental over issues. If Jesus himself with all the power & anointing had to withdraw himself so many times at the threat of being killed then you should know better.

Even Jesus himself taught his disciples how to handle such matters in Matthew 10:23:- But when they persecute you in this city, "FLEE YE" into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

If God has not implicitly & expressly told you to go & face death for his names sake, then you aren't doing His will when you go it all on your own.

There where times the apostles ran away from death & persecution but there was a time they willingly & finally yielded to death by matyrdom cos God clearly told them its time.
Very typical. Just cherrypick the verses that suit you at any particular time to justify any action you choose to embark on.

You care to explain these verses to me?

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 118:6
The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline
Psalm 115:11
You who fear him, trust in the LORD-- he is their help and shield
Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by ByfireByfire: 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2014
cold:
Very typical. Just cherrypick the verses that suit you at any particular time to justify any action you choose to embark on.

You care to explain these verses to me?

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 118:6
The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline
Psalm 115:11
You who fear him, trust in the LORD-- he is their help and shield

By quoting the above scriptures that are conveying a totally different message you simply show me you have very little understanding of the scripture but just want to argue. Unfortunately I'm not the arguing type so I call it quits with you right here having fully made my points clear.

You almost want to sound like the devil when he told Jesus to jump from the pinnacle of the temple quoting same sort of scriptures as you quoted above. You can as well rely on those scriptures & go & jump into a lions den as someone once did.Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by cold(m): 12:23am On Jul 14, 2014
ByfireByfire:
By quoting the above scriptures that are conveying a totally different message you simply show me you have very little understanding of the scripture but just want to argue. Unfortunately I'm not the arguing type so I call it quits with you right here having fully made my points clear.

You almost want to sound like the devil when he told Jesus to jump from the pinnacle of the temple quoting same sort of scriptures as you quoted above. You can as well rely on those scriptures & go & jump into a lions den as someone once did.Cheers.
Typical Christian. The bible never says what it means. It is always subject to your own interpretation..sigh

1 Like

Re: Should A True Christian Stay Away From Church For Fear Of Boko Haram? by wirinet(m): 11:17am On Jul 14, 2014
It depends on what the Christian understands by the word CHURCH is. If a church means a building where people sing, rejoice and get entertained while tithing and offering to pastors, then it would be foolhardy to offer self a sacrifice to boko boys. But if it mean a group of brethren congregating in any safe location and continuing their service and worship, then it would be impossible for boko to stop such church.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

400L Student Drops School,claims He Is Called By God / Show Your SWAG With The WORD / What People Do In The Name Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.