Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,122 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. (66931 Views)

‘Tom And Jerry’ Relationship Between Igbo And Yoruba ~ Azuka Onwuka / Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by kaymaximum02(m): 7:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
1stola: IN AS MUCH AS I DONT TRUST THE EBOHS BECAUSE OF THEIR DUBIOUS WAYS OF LIFE, I WILL STILL CHOOSE THEM OVER HAUSERS ANY DAY AND TIME BECAUSE I CAN PREDICT THEIR ACTIONS. THE LATTER CAN'T BE PREDICTED.

EBOHS HAUSERS..R u Nigerian??
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by geeworld1(m): 7:28pm On Jul 14, 2014
BadBoy25: who has the time to read through all these Long Gibberish ? seeing the Long write up already made me lose interest . you guys need to learn to summarize your post, no one has time to waste .
what is the relationship between Igbo and Yoruba? is it bad or Good ? make it straightforward instead of composing a Novel . Time is Money .
BRO U JUST SAID MY MIND
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ade2008(m): 7:34pm On Jul 14, 2014
I love ibo for there entrepreneurial spirit and hardworking but there major lapses is ,they love money too much. They can do anything to get money and are very dubious by nature

8 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 14, 2014
1)there is no agreement between Yoruba and igbo before the war,they can only claimed Yoruba betrayed them if there was an agreement before the war(2)what is biafran soldiers doing in ore,isn't ore Yoruba land,do u expect Yoruba people to sit n look while biafra soldiers invade their land? So stop calling us traitors,u over stepped ur boundary by bringing the war into our territory(ore) and u got served

14 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
Sheenor: Same as the yorubas brother. If am wrong then name a place on this earth whr you will not find yorubas includin alien planet yuh made mention. So wats your point

una no dy mars.

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by anonymous6(f): 7:39pm On Jul 14, 2014
yemaldo: 1)there is no agreement between Yoruba and igbo before the war,they can only claimed Yoruba betrayed them if there was an agreement before the war(2)what is biafran soldiers doing in ore,isn't ore Yoruba land,do u expect Yoruba people to sit n look while biafra soldiers invade their land? So stop calling us traitors,u over stepped ur boundary by bringing the war into our territory(ore) and u got served

Exactly

8 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by lakefist(m): 7:52pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blockus: OP,

I find this thread offensive to ndi Igbos. angry

We dont have any relationship whatsoever with the Yorubas. angry

They have proven to be untrust worthy since the beginning of time. They are two faced, back-stabbing and maliciously wicked and have demonstrated it time and time again. Lets not forget that the genocidal aspect of the civil war where food and medical supply were cut off from the East was not suggested by the Northerners but by a Yoruba man. Lets not even forget that there would not have been a war per se if the Yorubas had stuck to their end of the bargain from the Aburi accord held in Ghana.

The Yorubas are not trust worthy at all and thats the root of our problems in Nigeria. Atleast the Hausas have shown us where they stand from the very beginning.

I do however agree with the OPS comparison of the Igbos to the Germans and the Yorubas to the French, seeing as the Germans are innovative and brave at war and the French are cowardly and docile in general.
So the singular suggestion of a man makes you generalize your opinion and hatred towards every Yoruba man,i tot ure sensible but it was a mistake.

6 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by lakefist(m): 8:02pm On Jul 14, 2014
asadike: abeg which kind tom nd jerry relationship?who dey compare fresh air wit roten beans? So ndi igbo they talk,d people widely known 4 dirtiness and laziness dey come out 2. Dem dey evn showcase their dirty lifestyle 4 their movies. Shameless bunch. If u wil join a bus filed wit dis people, pls make sure u ar wit a good hanky 4 better nose coverin. Thk u.
how do your home look like? Ode burukuI Av seen igbo women that are very dirty in Lagos.they rent a room apartment and live with a dozen children

7 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by JEITO: 8:05pm On Jul 14, 2014
If we are to apportion positions, I will give the yorubas the position of Tom and the Igbos will be Jerry for obvious reasons lipsrsealed tongue
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by lakefist(m): 8:11pm On Jul 14, 2014
Sloan:

First, it is surprising that Ibos think they are like Germany! Who dash your monkey banana? Ibos also claim to be Jews, the same people Germany does not like and would have liked to get rid of them permanently but for the sake of their achievements, ibos now say they are like Germany? Hahaha, very funny lots! If anything at all, the Yorubas share more attributes with the Germans: education, efficiency, brilliant administration, high technology, manufacturing, etc while not making any noise about it! Germans are NOT traders like ibos! Germans are not perpetual war losers whose Ojukwu runs away to Abidjan after a loss! But guess what, the Yorubas are so assured and confident, they will never want to be Germany, only contemporaries, partners and co-competitors and also with France; only Germans can be Germans while Yorubas will only and always be Yorubas! He insecurity of the ibo man always puts him in the shadow of someone else, we Yorubas don't need to be in the shadow of anyone!

Also, you foolishly claim that Yorubas don't learn the language of others which is BS! You'd find that a much higher percentage of Germans speak English than the reverse! It takes nothing away from the progress of Germany! However, to day something is wrong with the English is completely stupiiiid! Yorubas in this instance are like the English, in another sense they are like the Germans, ibos have to learn Yoruba to survive and grow up, Yorubas have no NEED for such! An ibo man is most likely to NEED to come to Yoruba land to survive and feed his family but never a Yoruba man! We manufacture things, create services, etc which you will come to Yorubaland to buy or we will ship to you and the value chain that creates is more useful than learning ibo! Why will I leave where I am now to go to live in Syria, Afghanistan, etc? Why will any Yoruba man leave his land to go live in Iboland? Rather it is they who struggle to try a visa to go and live in UK, US, Canada, etc. Yorubaland is the closest thing to a developed, prosperous and organized society the ibo man will ever know and we the Yorubas eventually help them in their way through education, orientation, etc on their way to live in a foreign country! Every ibo man that made it, made it in Yoruba land! Ask Achebe or Ojukwu for the truth and they will admit it! Will ibos ever say thank you and be grateful??
May God continue to increase you in knowledge.
You said it all Bro how many Yorubas you will find in igbo land and yet this ingrates will come here and start spewing rubbish

5 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Sheenor: 8:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
hbpeze:

una no dy mars.
lolz......na una con dey mars??......yuh funny oh!.....anyways, be it yoruba or igbo, lets live as one......we need each oda, dats d fact...one lov broda.

Shallom.

3 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:40pm On Jul 14, 2014
Well said.
Say no to tribalism...
MidaxPhoenix: The hidden truth is that the igbos felt betrayed by the yorubas, the igbos have always seen the yorubas as the brothers across the niger but the civil war changed the course of thinking.

An average Igbo respects a yoruba for his intellectual prowess while the yorubas respect the igbos for entrepreneurial skills... a case of mutual respect and admiration and the igbos felt betrayed by the tribe they respect so much during the civil war..

The yorubas owe the Igbo an apology, and the igbos should learn to move on but our leaders profit from the discord, hence cannot facilitate a true reconciliation..

The two tribes complement each others,

What the igbos lack, the yorubas have in abundance and vice versa so we find it easy to co-habit.

We, yorubas are lazy, rely solely on intellectual skills as ingrained in our culture but the igbos believes in the sweat of hardwork..

The yorubas will say- I no fit do that work o! And the igbos will say - make we try am now.

Yoruba schools to become bureaucrat but the igbos schools to become refined businessmen..

During my nysc in enugu, I was privilege to teach tutorials in advanced calculus, real and numerical analysis in ESUT and IMT, the shout of ''Chike obi'' and awolowo rents the air as I give them the short cuts to solving questions.

Gba be theorem I call it...

All I can do is feel good when we finish lectures and my students give me business cards and telling me to come to their shops in ogbeite..

And igbos marvel at the yorubas mathematical skills....

Enters a store, Nna nyem this, 120, that 235, those 340.

Give him 1000 naira, Nna grabs calculator..

But the market woman in lagos selling wares, she will retort....305 ni change yin.

The igbos don't have time to calculate money, they make it in abundance and leave the yorubas to calculate.

The igbos control the economy, the yorubas regulate it..

Nigeria is truly blessed.

The best post I v ever read on this site!
MidaxPhoenix, waa gbayi!

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ibedun: 8:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
YORUBAs are not Lazy, We are comfortable in our own land.

We must stop patronising IGBO shops for a month to show them who is boss. If we stop patronising them for just 4 weeks these Igbo monkeys will be neutralised........ the ungrateful animals need to be taught a lesson.

I grew up with these people in my area but "No man's land" changed every thing. Everything!!! he

I hate to see and have any relationship with them now. And i don't do friends with them anymore

6 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Walphem(m): 8:44pm On Jul 14, 2014
Abiagirl777: This topic was 1st posted by ClassicEntity on may 31st 2014 at eexactly 09:01 pm.
Here www.nairaland.com/1761217/tom and Jerry Relationship
I think it made the front page during the period also, but after the sudden attack on nairaland I think the topic got wiped off...so the recall to frontpage
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ibedun: 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2014
OkikiOluwa1: Well said.
Say no to tribalism...
The best post I v ever read on this site!
MidaxPhoenix, waa gbayi!

TO HELL WITH YOU OMO-ALE JATI JATI

These animals are triumphant tribalist !!! And its always the Igbo crying Tribalism when Hausa and Yoruba respond in kind to them and their aggressive Janduku ways.

Calling my ancestral Land "No man.s land" when I was there in the 70s when they started coming to Lagos and we offered them food and shelter and something to do to earn money.

6 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by asadike(f): 9:00pm On Jul 14, 2014
lakefist:
how do your home look like? Ode burukuI Av seen igbo women that are very dirty in Lagos.they rent a room apartment and live with a dozen children
i see they are fast learnin 4rm the no 1 dirty people of the universe. ekute ile! As 4 ur question,my home looks clean and as 4 d dirty igbo women,check very wel,they are surounded by yoruba friends.

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 14, 2014
ibedun:

TO HELL WITH YOU OMO-ALE JATI JATI

These animals are triumphant tribalist !!! And its always the Igbo crying Tribalism when Hausa and Yoruba respond in kind to them and their aggressive Janduku ways.

Calling my ancestral Land "No man.s land" when I was there in the 70s when they started coming to Lagos and we offered them food and shelter and something to do to earn money.

ara ilu oke ni bobo yen.
omo abule jati jati.

3 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by ugoezeik(m): 9:11pm On Jul 14, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Igbos will suffer if Nigeria breaks up. - Mike Ahamba.
and where did ahamba quote it
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 9:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
iwonbaoko:
I am rather puzzled that people who do so well in JAMB and NECO are not so much represented at the highest levels e.g this Pressid Scholarship could it be because of cheating at those exams??

according to you 60% of top students are Ibo. When these exams were written they were open ONLY TO FIRST CLASS GRADUATES for the whole country and YORUBA ALONE TOOK ALMOST 50% abeg explain me biko?

http://www.nuc.edu.ng/nucsite/File/PRESSID%20Final%20List2.htm

http://www.nuc.edu.ng/nucsite/File/Monday%20Bulletin/MB%202014/PRESSID%20Final%20List-ADVERT%202014.pdf

2 YEARS !!! ABI NA FLUKE??

The figues you are quoting and using as a judgmental yardstick is flawed in several respects.

1) First of all, you have to ask yourself the percentage in numbers of each tribe that wrote the PRESSID test. Set A might have been 300 in number who wrote the test with 150 who passed, that is a success rate of 50% and Set B might have been only 100 in number with 80 passing, thus giving you a success rate of 80%. Mathematically, with an 80% success rate per 100 individuals from set B, for an equal number of 300 individuals, you'll have 240 successfuls compared to 150 from set A.

2) Second, one needs to assess the individual motives for writing the test in the first place. The PRESSID scholarship is a scholarship program inaugurated by the FG to sponsor Nigerians with good grades in top universities abroad. It might not be stated amply but it can be rather implied that, the test is targeted specifically at the not-so-financially-buoyant but bright students who cannot afford to further their studies abroad but are given the chance to study abroad. Not every bright student might be interested in writing the scholarship test. You have the intelligent but rich ones also who can easily pay their tuition from their pocket. This thus reduces the quality of the sampling population in question.

Before making a final conclusion, we need to know the actual figures in numbers of each tribe that wrote the test, then we can justify the percentage success seen on the list. One tribe might have had 200 candidates writing the exam and another tribe only 50. Comparing 200 from one tribe to say 50 from another tribe with the former having more chances of successes than the latter isn't a fair probability prediction.

National exams like JAMB, WAEC, NECO, primary and secondary level common entrance examinations are more standard yardstick for measurement since virtually everybody, irrespective of financial status, and intelligence level(average intelligence or below average intelligence) is required to take the exams and the curve of performance is determined, a term known in statistics and probability as comprehensive population sampling.

3 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 14, 2014
LMFAO.....I don't even know how to contribute to this thread......WHO CARES??
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by 1stola: 9:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
kaymaximum02:

u want me to get banned abi?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by dozern(m): 9:26pm On Jul 14, 2014
With this write up, igbos and yorubas are the reason why Nigeria is still united. Without competition life will be boring. I love the write up, i love nairaland.

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by lawal28c: 9:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
Na una know...........we tin concern me if igbo nd yoruba dey fyt......if dey lyk make dem no settle na deir fada concern bdat.I wonder y u can't post somtin reasonable.UBANKU,IYA YIN,NNEGI..........IBU ONYI ALA.....SHEGU YARA......OLOSI RADA RADA
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
Yawnnnnnnnnnn grin cheesy
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
kaymaximum02:

lol he'll soon spell EBOS as EBOLA grin

3 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by AboveSOSO: 9:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
With this write up, igbos and yorubas are the reason why Nigeria is still united. Without competition life will be boring. I love the write up, i love nairaland.

Pls wo his yaruba and her igo you guys ranting about
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by eledacedar(f): 9:37pm On Jul 14, 2014
Rilamaka: This post almost brought tears to my eyes as I was once in love with a yoruba corper. Distance played a major factor but we are still very good friends.

I think the good relationship between the Igbos and Yorubas surpasses the bad relationship, because the bad relationship seems to exist solely on social media platform, while Igbo - Yoruba forged relationships are raking in millions everyday, this is evident in our Nigeria entertainment industry.

Only sad, hateful, failed people tend to curse each other out on social media.

Amarachi?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by whitecat007: 9:37pm On Jul 14, 2014
Having both in two different countries will help a great deal.

The poster was economical with the truth especially about which tribe started it, there's limit to what a person can take. maybe because he's ibo, ibos started it and Yoruba joined in, any sane person who has been on this forum for more than 5 years know how it all began, you can even check responses on the first page of this very thread to know who the instigators are.
I joined nairaland after 2years as a guest, I first thought there were just several ibos who had problems with Yoruba but, when it became clear that it was their favorite passtime, I had no choice than to chip in. I have since watched dayokanu and others and lately Gbawe who were very neutral stand for their tribe too.
stint: You neglected to mention that French and Germany are two different nations. Maybe yoruba and ibo ought to be two different nations too.. dont u think it ll help?

4 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by GodMode: 9:46pm On Jul 14, 2014
cheesy

8 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Xyge(m): 9:48pm On Jul 14, 2014
BadBoy25: who has the time to read through all these Long Gibberish ? seeing the Long write up already made me lose interest . you guys need to learn to summarize your post, no one has time to waste .
what is the relationship between Igbo and Yoruba? is it bad or Good ? make it straightforward instead of composing a Novel . Time is Money .
time is money. Undisputable. Now, you think it's being wasted if used to read through articles like this? I tell ya fella, it(time) is even worth spending 'recklessly' at the end of the day...Provided it involves mind-boggling write ups such as this. Peace. Superb one, @Op.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by phemi01(m): 9:53pm On Jul 14, 2014
yemaldo: 1)there is no agreement between Yoruba and igbo before the war,they can only claimed Yoruba betrayed them if there was an agreement before the war(2)what is biafran soldiers doing in ore,isn't ore Yoruba land,do u expect Yoruba people to sit n look while biafra soldiers invade their land? So stop calling us traitors,u over stepped ur boundary by bringing the war into our territory(ore) and u got served

SEKEM!
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by xtervaganza(m): 9:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
Most of the recent animosity between igbos and Yorubas would not have happen ended.

Thanks to the old f00l chinua achebe, the hatred is everywhere now

Not that I send though

All the igbos I know are very very cool people and they're my friends

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply)

Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival / Different South African Tribes / First Appearance Of Ooni Of Ife And His New Wife Olori Naomi As She Minister(vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.