Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies (9484 Views)

It's Time To Tax Churches / Should Religious Bodies Be Regulated / Time To Tax The Commercial Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Acidosis(m): 4:07pm On Jul 13, 2014
dhammyg:
THE CHURCH IS ALREADY SUCKING ITS MEMBERS DRY LET THE FG DO THE SAME TO THEM.

XTIANITY IN NIGERIA HAS BEEN BADLY DILUTEDangry

Strange motive.

As long as members do not steal to pay tithes and offerings in respect to Biblical teachings; I do not see any reason why a group of people should feel disturbed.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by okotv(m): 4:11pm On Jul 13, 2014
everything is just all about taxing the church...what about the money in the government coffers...what would happen to it and its not like we are broke anyway
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by nora544: 4:14pm On Jul 13, 2014
Acidosis:

Strange motive.

As long as members do not steal to pay tithes and offerings in respect to Biblical teachings; I do not see any reason why a group of people should feel disturbed.

what is when a person take money from the goverment or a bank the money didnot belong to him and give it to his church, I know this happen in nigeria!!!!!!!
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Ojimsclaxic: 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
I "ojimsclaxic" as a Nigerian Citizen, wish the Nigerian Government elected by me to Tax Religious Bodies in the Nation. "

Reasons too numerous to write dwn!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by okotv(m): 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2014
the truth about tithing is that its a wrong way to gain money by the government...cause the tithe payers also pay tax and no where in the constitution can the government tell me what to do with the rest. Its like saying that i should be taxed for every gift i recieve...that is not possible same applies to the church
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by adwem2003(m): 4:21pm On Jul 13, 2014
On what basis re you going to tax them? Which accounting standard do they belong to? How re you going to determine the tax payable? Answer these questions sensibly and we can now discuss about taxation of religious bodies.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 13, 2014
Fantasywrita:

I'm not a xtian....but whoever u r, u need help asap!!!

Fuk God!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by MaAngwa: 4:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
I am fully in support of churches and mosque paying tax and Government should stop sponsoring pilgrimage. Sponsoring of pilgrimages enriches the countries they travel to using our tax payers money. But my suggestion is tax that will be from these religious bodies should be managed under the supervision of a committee/commission with credible organization as members like Nigeria Network of NGOs(NNNGOs), Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs, Catholic Bishop Conference,and other Human Right Organization.
They will help in monitoring the way those fund are spent.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by ayobase(m): 4:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
PAGAN9JA: How many of you are willing to stand up against the draining of our Nation's Wealth by these foreign Religious bodies?

churches collect money from the Nigerian common man to feed to pastors material desires, big manshions, private jets, etc.

Tithe money from churches is sent to foreign western country like the vatican to FIll Their Coffers.

This is the Money of the Nigerian Common Man.

Meanwhile, zakat money is being used to fund terrorist activities abroad, boko haram , al qaeda, etc.

And apart from this all, Our money is being used by these orgainzations to build more religious structures TAX FREE on prime property land; the opportunity cost of which could be used to build schools , hospitals, business outlets, Community Centres, etc.

Taxation of Religious bodies can increase the Government Revenues and make our Government Coffers richer. This money could then be used for development of Nigeria and Standard People's Progressive issues, etc.

Also needed to be abolished is the Pilgrimage subsidy to foreign nations by muslims/christians.
Or else even Pagans/Traditionalists must get Pilgrimage subsidies or atleast shrine construction subsidies and atheists must also get some form of Scientific Pilgrimage subsidy to foreign Scientific/Technology Forums, etc. (which will benefit the Nation)

If you are for this petition , copy this onto the reply below " I "username" as a Nigerian Citizen, wish the Nigerian Government elected by me to Tax Religious Bodies in the Nation. "

The Gods Bless Nigeria! cool

[img]http://s29.postimg.org/h2pn7vo47/483756_483895071677698_388109276_n.jpg[/aimg]

what has the same government done with the tax they have been extorting from you over the years?

stop being religiously sentimental.

u logically exempted the pagans.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Irritant: 4:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
ifeness: Every Nigerian should learn to say Fuk God and Pastors!

Another extra-ordinary Fool cry
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
y nt churches are now money spinning ventures and a lucrative one at that.......

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by zurine(f): 4:43pm On Jul 13, 2014
dude
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 13, 2014
Sezua:
monies is actually right....its used in economics.... and relates well to dis thread....stop forming like u know something wen u don't know sh1t
something u guys dont know is dis....u cant use MONIES in a sentence...wat are u guys thinking??..in economics terms...dere is MONIES....wen u dealing wit economics and commerce....but in making sentence u just cant use MONIES...totally wrong...!!!!!....WHAT ABOUT D MONIES I GAVE YOU??does dat sound ryt in ur VOCABULARY MIND??
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:56pm On Jul 13, 2014
SporaD8: Yes?
Even NGOs and Beggars too?!
Their contributor's income had already been taxed. So why clamored for multiple taxation again?
How income earners choose to spend their disposable income is at the income earner's discretion.
However Religious bodies are registered with the Government so Registration fee or a one-time tax during Registration could be employed to check their excesses.

We are not asking the contributor to be taxed. We are asking the pastors profits to be taxed.

let the tithe % remain fixed if the church asks for it and if the gullibles are willing to be paid.

No 1 time tax. that is completely different. We are not just discussing registration. We are discussing profits and property.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2014
cold:
Monies in the context it is used is correct. Hope you've learnt something new today
u cant use MONIES for a sentence...dere are words and pronunciations u just cant use in making sentence wen it comes to english...hop u understand someday...
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by plaetton: 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
Pagan9ja,
I don't think it's feasible to tax religious bodies. Aside from the controversy that would surround it, our government has never even been competent at taxing ordinary citizens and corporate bodies, talkless of registering and taxing religious bodies.

What might be feasible would be to enact a law making religious bodies operate their finances as registered charities.. That way, their finances would be open to the public and quarterly government audits. Such a law would compel them to use at least 80%of their ffinancial revenues for charity and community work. The pastors would be paid a stipulated salary just like all church workers.
This would make a lot more sense.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
adwem2003: On what basis re you going to tax them? Which accounting standard do they belong to? How re you going to determine the tax payable? Answer these questions sensibly and we can now discuss about taxation of religious bodies.

Do I look like a Tax official?

What RUbbish! angry

The same way the Govt. determines taxes for ourselves and our businesses, let them apply it on these religious companies.

I can formulate answers to your questions but I chose not to as it is irrelevant to the intention of this thread.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:03pm On Jul 13, 2014
ayobase:

what has the same government done with the tax they have been extorting from you over the years?

stop being religiously sentimental.

u logically exempted the pagans.

We Pagans hardly have a presence in this Nation , neither do we collect tithes, etc.

you wan tax a goat abi? undecided

However if you tax everyone tax us as well. We are ok with it. We just want fairness and honesty.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
Irritant:

Another extra-ordinary Fool cry

You need guts to be free from slavery slave. Say Fuk God and yea shall be free!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
plaetton: Pagan9ja,
I don't think it's feasible to tax religious bodies. Aside from the controversy that would surround it, our government has never even been competent at taxing ordinary citizens and corporate bodies, talkless of registering and taxing religious bodies.

What might be feasible would be to enact a law making religious bodies operate their finances as registered charities.. That way, their finances would be open to the public and quarterly government audits. Such a law would compel them to use at least 80%of their ffinancial revenues for charity and community work. The pastors would be paid a stipulated salary just like all church workers.
This would make a lot more sense.

Its a different issue if all the funds they get are properly accounted for and its usage as well.

There must be a transperancy in the system but thats tough.

Can the Nigerian Govt. Implement an RTI (Right To Information Act) in the public Domain?

If it can, thats good.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Judas2013: 5:10pm On Jul 13, 2014
ifeness:

You need guts to be free from slavery slave. Say Fuk God and yea shall be free!

Yes,God can suk a dicck

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by ayobase(m): 5:21pm On Jul 13, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

We Pagans hardly have a presence in this Nation , neither do we collect tithes, etc.

However if you tax everyone tax us as well. We are ok with it. We just want fairness and honesty.

ok

u didnt answer my question
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
ayobase:

ok

u didnt answer my question

They have built roads, infrastructure,etc.

Yes it is true they could have done more . It is true they are corrupt.

But you cant deny the fact that the Govt. has done something.

The Govt. exists because of us.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by jennylove7575(f): 5:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
Yes of course they should be tax. The gov suppose to tax them wella

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by tandj: 5:29pm On Jul 13, 2014
Pagan9ja, its good to tax them but why did u exclude traditionalists?
Or, don't they make lots of money off their followers too?

Politicians and whoever normally visit chiefpriests and money exchange hands.
So how do we tax these people?

Why lay much emphasis on christians only?
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by thaira(f): 5:35pm On Jul 13, 2014
I would support this motion on the hope that the millions who seek refuge in the church will become politically active. If religious bodies 'give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's', they will not be so apathetic concerning the Nigerian situation. They will rail from the pulpits and and and... Who knows?
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 13, 2014
ifeness: Every Nigerian should learn to say Fuk God and Pastors!
Sickler
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Mintayo(m): 5:56pm On Jul 13, 2014
More tax,more embezzelment. The tax they have been,what did they use it to do? What was/is the outcome.
Smh...
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
tandj: Pagan9ja, its good to tax them but why did u exclude traditionalists?
Or, don't they make lots of money off their followers too?

Politicians and whoever normally visit chiefpriests and money exchange hands.
So how do we tax these people?

Why lay much emphasis on christians only?

PAGAN9JA:

I think its no secret that christianity is the biggest money spinner in Nigeria and the World.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Sezua(m): 6:17pm On Jul 13, 2014
patrickdarlins: something u guys dont know is dis....u cant use MONIES in a sentence...wat are u guys thinking??..in economics terms...dere is MONIES....wen u dealing wit economics and commerce....but in making sentence u just cant use MONIES...totally wrong...!!!!!....WHAT ABOUT D MONIES I GAVE YOU??does dat sound ryt in ur VOCABULARY MIND??
stop spewing shyt....u cant use MONIES in a sentence?.... does it look like a word dat can stand on its own? you'll jst say *monies*...just like that?....besides we are talking about tax which is way economics...just don't type wat u don't know
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by cold(m): 6:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
patrickdarlins: u cant use MONIES for a sentence...dere are words and pronunciations u just cant use in making sentence wen it comes to english...hop u understand someday...
Are you kidding me? Pray tell,how else can you use the monies without putting it in a sentence? Smdh. Stop trying to be clever by half and learn

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by adwem2003(m): 6:46pm On Jul 13, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Do I look like a Tax official?

What RUbbish! angry

The same way the Govt. determines taxes for ourselves and our businesses, let them apply it on these religious companies.

I can formulate answers to your questions but I chose not to as it is irrelevant to the intention of this thread.

Bet you have learnt your lesson. Don't create threads you are TOTALLY ignorant of because of your sentiment. It makes you look stupdi at the end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Part Of Evolution Theory That Got Me Really Confused....can There Be An Answer? / What Is The Difference Between Faith And Hope? / Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.