Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies (9485 Views)

It's Time To Tax Churches / Should Religious Bodies Be Regulated / Time To Tax The Commercial Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Judas2013: 8:19am On Jul 15, 2014
Xsolutions: @Pagan:I understand where you are coming from BUT can you tax money that has already been taxed??...I mean Church money is more or less like donations from individuals who willingly give right??
So how can that work?
undecided

You meant to say; donation from individuals who have be coned into giving money in the first place.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Judas2013: 8:22am On Jul 15, 2014
mediachirps: @Op, Why will you not leave sleeping dog alone?

Because the worst people on the planet are those who spot a problem and do nothing about it.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by SenatorJames(m): 2:40pm On Jul 15, 2014
PAGAN9JA: I PAGAN9JA as a Nigerian Citizen, wish the Nigerian Government elected by me to Tax Religious Bodies in the Nation.
If not PAGAN9JA, who will?
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by prodiG(m): 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
I see no reason why they should not be taxed.Majority of the churches in Nigeria are fast turning into coporate entities.Very soon,they will become legal entities. undecided

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by rexzqcom(m): 10:58pm On Jul 15, 2014
drestoneokuta: What are you people saying? Who study accountacy here? What category of tax wil u place this sort of a thing? How is money from the church generated? Is the church a profiting organisation? If no who taxes a non profiting organisation? That aside, tithing is an obligation for us to God, giving our first fruit, 10 percent of "INCREASE" is for the elevation and building up of the church, and you people want to tax GOD?
One thing you all should know is that tithing is NOT for the pastor, it is for GOD and the elevation of His church and Gospel, what ever a pastor does with the money he will give account to the almighty.
If your problem is that you can't keep giving money to "rich" churches, then by all means find a small or growing church, they are all around you.

For an organization to qualify as a non-profit, it has to earn it. Is obvious most of our religions organizations are profit generating entities. The onus is on them to prove how they use their excess revenue for God. God said, what you do for the least able of my children, you did for me. So to qualify as a non-profit charitable entity, your books have to be opened for verification of your claims. The society have a need to know here and now. We can't wait for your rendition to almighty later. Amortization, and depreciation credits can be allowed for fixed projects expenses like buildings, vehicles, etc.
The social responsibility of a non-profit organizations is to help elevate the down trodden members of the society who can hardly help themselves. Like the handicaps, disasters victims, the sick, infirm, incarcerated,incapacitated,scholarships for desiring scholars and temporary room and board for homeless and transients etc. Not to enrich any individual. If you want to get rich go open a bank or any other wealth generating concern. Using the label NON_PROFIT to generate self wealth is cheating. Churches and mosques will not be taxed if, they use all their revenue generated appropriately for charitable interests.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by bestads(m): 2:54am On Jul 28, 2014
jennylove7575: Yes of course they should be tax. The gov suppose to tax them wella

Including runs girls like you

https://www.nairaland.com/jennylove7575

https://www.nairaland.com/jennylove7575/posts
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by jennylove7575(f): 9:41am On Jul 28, 2014
bestads:

Including runs girls like you

https://www.nairaland.com/jennylove7575

https://www.nairaland.com/jennylove7575/posts
nope because my alhaji and daddy pappi pays their tax....you have a problem with that?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by tck2000(m): 5:48pm On Jun 06, 2019
Yes
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Kobojunkie: 2:59am On Dec 16, 2023
PAGAN9JA:
How many of you are willing to stand up against the draining of our Nation's Wealth by these foreign Religious bodies? churches collect money from the Nigerian common man to feed to pastors material desires, big manshions, private jets, etc. Tithe money from churches is sent to foreign western country like the vatican to FIll Their Coffers. This is the Money of the Nigerian Common Man. Meanwhile, zakat money is being used to fund terrorist activities abroad, boko haram , al qaeda, etc.
And apart from this all, Our money is being used by these orgainzations to build more religious structures TAX FREE on prime property land; the opportunity cost of which could be used to build schools , hospitals, business outlets, Community Centres, etc.
Taxation of Religious bodies can increase the Government Revenues and make our Government Coffers richer. This money could then be used for development of Nigeria and Standard People's Progressive issues, etc. Also needed to be abolished is the Pilgrimage subsidy to foreign nations by muslims/christians. Or else even Pagans/Traditionalists must get Pilgrimage subsidies or atleast shrine construction subsidies and atheists must also get some form of Scientific Pilgrimage subsidy to foreign Scientific/Technology Forums, etc. (which will benefit the Nation)
If you are for this petition , copy this onto the reply below " I "username" as a Nigerian Citizen, wish the Nigerian Government elected by me to Tax Religious Bodies in the Nation. " The Gods Bless Nigeria! cool
Are you folks serious about this or was this for fun? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Faith And Hope? / Part Of Evolution Theory That Got Me Really Confused....can There Be An Answer? / Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.