Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,855 members, 7,813,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix (129225 Views)

See The Animal This Farmer Caught (pic) / Cattle, Ram & Goat Fattening, My Strategy As Additional Income Means / Goat Farming In Nigeria... Is It For You??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by jackson44(m): 7:31am On Oct 15, 2014
on point Felix. if we can all make this a success,then we are the fulfill generations. I will be more than glad,to have myself associated with people on this thread,u guys all have it all in terms of knowledge and intellectual . kudos to all that as make this thread lively, from the onset up to this very moment. count me in, when the going is set.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 1:17pm On Oct 31, 2014
i am back after a little break, i went for agric show recently here is what i found out in pictures.

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 1:18pm On Oct 31, 2014
more

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by eddie1(m): 11:57am On Nov 02, 2014
Okay so what did you learn apart from just pictures
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 4:33pm On Nov 02, 2014
eddie1:
Okay so what did you learn apart from just pictures
i will be able to answer specific questions if ask, i learn't a lot and will share from time to time. i also made very important connections .i have been working on a lot of things offline, i have also receive a lot of mails from people, thanks all for writing. i will be sharing more details from next year. but a lot of goodies are coming
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 7:30pm On Nov 06, 2014
DAIRY BUSINESS CAN GET NIGERIAN FARMERS OUT OF POVERTY’

Professor Jerome Gefu is the Executive Director of the National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI), an affiliate of the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria. In this interview with Daily Trust, he explains how Nigerian farmers can make farming a money-making venture through rearing of cows for milk, among other issues. Excerpts:

Can you give us a hint about the activities of NAPRI?

NAPRI was established even before the university (ABU) was established. It was established in 1928. It was first established as a stock-farm to be able to work on how to improve animals that would be used by our local farmers to improve their breeds. In other words, NAPRI was established to bring in improved technology to the local farmers in order to improve their production. As time went on, it became a grassland research station. That became imminent because the bulk of the feed that is required by the animals is grass. So, we started research on different species of grass; many of which were brought from different parts of the country and the world at large. They were domesticated after we found them suitable for different parts of our ecological zones. Since then, we have expanded our mandate. We now have mandate to do research on all domestic animals, including cattle, that is beef and diary, sheep and goats, swine, poultry, particularly the main type.

How can Nigerian farmers benefit from your researches on cows?

We are in the business of distributing improved animals, which include cows and bulls. Our daily research programme involves artificial insemination for improved breeds. We call them crosses. This is a cross between the local breed, that is the Bunaji, and the exotic breed. In the exotic breed, because they are many, we have chosen Tregian. The Tregian crossed Bunaji is what we are popularising. The advantage is that the cross does not require high level of management like the pure one. If you had a pure Tregian and a cross between it and Bunaji, you would see the difference. The management requirement for pure Tregian is higher because it needs cooler place, good environment and good feeding. But if it is a cross, you find that the level of management is lower and still brings good amount of milk. The end result is the milk that a farmer gets. Right now, we have crosses that give 25 to 30 litres of milk per day unlike the Bunaji that gives between two and five, depending on the season.
This is a breakthrough that we are distributing to farmers across the country. The demand is very high. Therefore, we have to ration, and in some cases we give them the bull so that they can use to cross their local and indigenous animals in order to get the cross. The whole essence of this is to increase and improve our milk production and cut down our milk importation. Right now, almost 80 percent of our milk consumption in this country comes from abroad.

Are farmers really taking advantage of this new technology?

Pastoralists and farmers come to the institute to learn all these things. Recently, some farmers from Damau (Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State) visited the institute. They came with their women, and the women were even more in number. This shows that women are now being brought into livestock production, which was not the case before. This gives us a lot of excitement. We visit pastoralists in our neighbouring communities to buy their milk and in return we offer them services in terms of extension service, feed advise and medication at cost recovery. We have animal medication that we give to farmers, especially during outbreak at cost recovery without charging them anything. We think that we should provide free services for the pastoralists to assist them. This would also help them to avoid fake drugs, and we involve ourselves in this area to assist them by providing genuine drugs at cost recovery.
Is this technology also targeted at meeting the beef requirement of the country?
When you breed an animal, the possibility is 50-50, that is, 50 percent chance of male or female upspring. If we have a cross that is a bull, we usually send it for slaughter. We encourage people to also have herds of bulls, which they would fatten. It is easy to fatten an animal that has attained a weight of 250 kilogrammes over a period of 90 days. This is a lot of money and a farmer would require just local materials for feed. You use harawa, crop residue and occasionally add concentrated feed like groundnut cake or soya beans cake for protein. This is one of the ways of increasing meat availability in the country.

A farmer that gets large quantity of milk, how would he manage it?

It is true, a farmer would get large quantity of milk if he feeds his animal very well and give them enough water. These animals have to be zero-grazed, that is, they have to be confined in a house without taking them out for grazing at all. But a farmer can take them out occasionally to exercise their muscles, because they are like human beings that require exercise from time to time. A farmer can get the required milk when he gives his animals adequate feed, medication and water. In fact, water should be there continuously. Once a farmer does that he would get his required milk. In some cases, milk production by cows is genetic. Some animals take the gene of their mother or father. We have recently lost a cow,
Mahaukachia, due to snake bite. This animal was giving us 35 litres of milk per day. So, the animal was such a good milk producer with special qualities. We have now started to trace the offspring and see whether they have taken some of her genes. We are working closely on that and one of the female offspring is pregnant now. We want to see whether she would give us what the mother was giving us. In that line, we would expand our production.
Dairy farming is such an expensive but rewarding venture. Dairy farmers abroad are about the richest farmers in US and UK. Once a farmer starts milking that is when his profit comes and you don’t keep your cows for milking for more than three years, that is, three lactations. If they give birth for about three times, you take them for slaughter and that is money also. Government has been encouraging us to encourage the farmers to be producing milk, and we are doing that.

Are there no challenges in managing the milk?

You can process the milk to different forms. From yoghurt, butter, to cheese and the farmers are doing it to reduce wastage, particularly during the rainy season when there is abundance of milk production. This is especially in the Mambilla and Jos areas where there is a lot of milk but without buyers. We are working on how to do milk powder so that during period of glut, high production period, we can collate and turn them to powder. We are doing the same thing with the Shika Brown, where we are collaborating to be producing egg powder, especially during the glut period where you can’t find market for your eggs.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/agriculture/38730-dairy-business-can-get-nigerian-farmers-out-of-poverty

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 22, 2014
@Felix, I have experience in cattle farming, and I have to admit that your post is truly inspiring to those of us that have passion for the business. However, my contribution to this post would be to advice those interested in venturing into cattle farming business to make security of their livestock a #1 priority with an unwavering diligence

I ventured into cattle farming (starting with 6 cows) about two years ago in Abuja using a well gated and fenced 2 plots of land. Unfortunately, when I was close to reaping the fruits of my labor, one night some armed cattle rustlers (thieves) broke into my farm stole all my cattles, along with several others in the neighborhood. Search parties were sent out the following morning, but to no avail. And the police, were useless.

Cattle rustling is now very rampant in Nigeria and even more rampant than highway robbery. It is a major dream killer for many prospective livestock farmers. Cattle rustlers are often well armed, and carry out their nefarious acts with utmost sophistication. using sophisticated weapons and so on. I was not unaware of the menace posed by cattle ruslers before I started, which was why I chose to locate my fenced farm in abuja. Sadly, what I was not aware of, was how daring they can be; to even break into a gated and well fenced farm located around Abuja and in a thriving neighbourhood, says alot. It means no location is safe from these people. However, you can secure your farm in a manner that would make their nefarious task very very difficult and expensive for them to carry-out.

Despite my unfortunate experience, my passion for cattle farming business remains unshaken, because it is a very lucrative business when successfully run. I have learned some important lessons with my experience and which I like to share:

1) Construct a very strong iron boulder fencing for your livestocks inside your farm, do so, even if your farm is already fenced. Double fencing means double risk for would-be thieves. Construct the iron fencing in a manner such that once you placed your livestock inside, it would be very hard for them to be taken out of it. Also, repair any lapses you may find in your fence or gate. Put metal caps on your fence & gates interlocks, so it makes it harder to break the locks. Any extra break-in time , is bad omen for would-be thieves.

2) Be wary of strangers around your farm location , Any new face loitering around your farm should be a warning sign. If they dont have their insider/spy who already knows your farm, livestock/Cattle rustlers spend a great amount of time (days & weeks) surveying/spying a farm, before they strike.

3) Be wary of who you invite into your farm, from the common farm help to the professional veterinarian. Some croocks among veterinarians (not to even mention farm help/workers) are known to profit by passing their client's farm herd infos, routines & security details to livestock/cattle rustlers, so beware.

4) It is very important that you have dogs in your farms. The commotion dogs create from their barking at intruders would significantly deter cattle rustlers from striking. The night cattle rustlers strucked my farm, they attempted to steal cows from another neighbourhood not far from my farm location, fortunately, that farm had dogs. Their constant barkings woke the people in the area, and the thieves fled.

5) keep your farm routines to yourself and to those who you can trust, and try not to create a consistent farm visitation time for yourself. Thus, be less predictable even to your farm workers, should u decide to hire any.

6) Finally, if you can afford it, hire a security guard, or build a dwelling place in your farm, and have someone live their. The presence of a person or people living inside your farm can dissuade would-be thieves.

15 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 10:39pm On Dec 13, 2014
inside a cattle market i visited recently

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 10:41pm On Dec 13, 2014
in side a cattle market

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 10:46pm On Dec 13, 2014
inside a cattle market

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by jfkenny(m): 10:41am On Dec 14, 2014
how can I get housa/Fulani goats to rear in anambra..
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 16, 2014
felixzo1:
i will be able to answer specific questions if ask, i learn't a lot and will share from time to time. i also made very important connections .i have been working on a lot of things offline, i have also receive a lot of mails from people, thanks all for writing. i will be sharing more details from next year. but a lot of goodies are coming

@ Felix, its nice to read your posts again. I wanted to ask if you know how much a crossbred cow (shown in your pictures) cost and where I can find one to buy. Thanks
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Niyoga(m): 12:37pm On Dec 17, 2014
I live in lagos, how can someone get the red goat for production and how much do u think one will cost?
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 6:28pm On Dec 19, 2014
jfkenny:
how can I get housa/Fulani goats to rear in anambra..
you can get in the nearest abattoir to you, there should be hausa seller there,
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
Backyard goat and sheep fattening

Due to popular demand, I am compared to write a piece on sheep and goat fattening, both are small ruminants and share similar characteristics. Therefore I will treat them as one.
This piece is targeted at people who what to fatten small number of goats or sheep targeting festivities like Christmas and end of year and Muslim festivities.
Goats of a young age(less than a year one and above 6 months) can be source from a livestock market closest to you (or an abattoir) price range for this age is between N6000 to 9000 depending on your location,
The goats should be bought and kept in a dry room, a small section of the room should be partitioned for this (do not allow rain to fall on them, goats hate rain, and the floor should be clean and dry always) for best results fresh class should be cut and brought to the goats everyday, (tying a rope around the neck of a goat to restrain them is not an advisable practice. It can affect weight gain and feeds intake) clean water provided and kitchen waste (your leftover eba or even rice and grains should be given. The goats should also be dewormed. When grains are given as suppliements, goats experience a more rapid weight gain and more predictable results can be achieve.
After about 6 to 9 months of fattening and a desirable weight attained. Your goats can be sold to people buying livestock for festivities in your locality, people are usually willing to pay more for goats then and demand is usually higher,
The selling price should between N17000 to 23000 depending on your fattening technique.
[/i]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by GGfadar(m): 8:48am On Dec 20, 2014
felixzo1:

Due to popular demand, I am compared to write a piece on sheep and goat fattening, both are small ruminants and share similar characteristics. Therefore I will treat them as one.
This piece is targeted at people who what to fatten small number of goats or sheep targeting festivities like Christmas and end of year and Muslim festivities.
Goats of a young age(less than a year one and above 6 months) can be source from a livestock market closest to you (or an abattoir) price range for this age is between N6000 to 9000 depending on your location,
The goats should be bought and kept in a dry room, a small section of the room should be partitioned for this (do not allow rain to fall on them, goats hate rain, and the floor should be clean and dry always) for best results fresh class should be cut and brought to the goats everyday, (tying a rope around the neck of a goat to restrain them is not an advisable practice. It can affect weight gain and feeds intake) clean water provided and kitchen waste (your leftover eba or even rice and grains should be given. The goats should also be dewormed. When grains are given as suppliements, goats experience a more rapid weight gain and more predictable results can be achieve.
After about 6 to 9 months of fattening and a desirable weight attained. Your goats can be sold to people buying livestock for festivities in your locality, people are usually willing to pay more for goats then and demand is usually higher,
The selling price should between N17000 to 23000 depending on your fattening technique.
[/i]
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 9:23am On Dec 20, 2014
GGfadar:
u maybe right in some cases
i'm also an experienced livestock farmer.
there are several techniques in fattening.
nice 1 anyway.
state the fattening techniques you use lets learn from you
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by GGfadar(m): 9:37am On Dec 20, 2014
smiley
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by GGfadar(m): 9:38am On Dec 20, 2014
cool
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by GGfadar(m): 9:42am On Dec 20, 2014
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 9:55am On Dec 20, 2014
all my post here are based on real life expirence, and not something copied from the internet.they are not theortical but practical and can be applied by even a biginer with little funds and a small space.i do not like copy and paste farmers.there is no need for plenty gramma, simple practical steps is most important
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by GGfadar(m): 10:17am On Dec 20, 2014
maybe u r the fake cos all these are written by me and am using it regularly
am not asking u to use, just telling u what i use.
big grammar or not, its a shame u dont understand simple dietry formula.
my father is veterinarian and i've learnt a lot in animal science and husbandry right from my childhood, maybe my fattening formula is similar to the ones u read or studied on internet.
do u expect me to explain in hausa or yoruba language.
keep up ur gd work bro
am not criticising u

felixzo1:
all my post here are based on real life expirence, and not something copied from the internet.they are not theortical but practicle and can be applied by even a biginer with little funds and a small space.i do not like copy and paste farmers.there is no need for plenty gramma, simple practical steps is most important
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 10:31am On Dec 20, 2014
GGfadar:
maybe u r the fake cos all these are written by me and am using it regularly
am not asking u to use, just telling u what i use.
big grammar or not, its a shame u dont understand simple dietry formula.
do u expect me to explain in hausa or yoruba language.
keep up ur gd work bro
am not criticising u

there is what i want you to known. 1 have you ever used the formular you provided if yes, where did you buy your grains and other ingrrdients and at what cost ,where did you buy your goats?2 it is not even practical for somebody with few goats to start preparing expensive feeds.(all those information you provided are for a stardard goat farm an can be found on the internet, it does not apply to our local nigeria conditions) you have not provided any imformation that is domestic and local that can be used by a farmer with 5 goats in his backyard, if you have expirence as you claim,there are a lot real life practical question that i will ask that you can not answer
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by GGfadar(m): 10:54am On Dec 20, 2014
i get my animals from jigawa and i cross breed with with our west african dwarfs in the south. if u need the grains, everything is available in ibadan. concerning ur question i cannot answer, go ahead and ask cos u might not be able to answer some from me as well but this is not a competition but a medium to help beginners as u altered earlier
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 11:06am On Dec 20, 2014
GGfadar:
i get my animals from jigawa and i cross breed with with our west african dwarfs in the south. if u need the grains, everything is available in ibadan. concerning ur question i cannot answer, go ahead and ask cos u might not be able to answer some from me as well but this is not a competition but a medium to help beginners as u altered earlier
upload the pix of your goat farm here
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by GGfadar(m): 11:41am On Dec 20, 2014
if u really practise livestock business, how on earth will someone buy a goat less than a year for prices ranging from N6,000 - N9,000, fatten and sell out for N17,000 - N23,000. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE. i still sold rams and goats i fattened this year and i'm conversant with the livestock market, festive period or not, it is NOT possible bro.
i dont know where u get ur kids from and where u sell to but i doubt ur analysis
felixzo1:

[/i]
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 12:09pm On Dec 20, 2014
It seems you are here to argue and try and show relevance. my record here speaks for itself, if you have contrary views state them here with evidence instead of just arguing blindly .I can upload prices, pix and contact you can get goats a year old goats (weighing from 7 t0 10kg) for 6000 or less, but generally prices in the south are higher than in north because the north produces more goats, go out now and price a sizeable he goat (more than two years old weighing above 25kg) if you will get it less than 17000. Anybody can verify that fact .the importance of goat fattening is to buy young goats (during periods of lower demand)with low weight and feed the intensive to encourage rapid weight gain and sell when demand is higher, simple logic of demand and supply. Question you should ask your self, the goat you are buying for N6000, how big is it, where are you buying it and what is the weight. What is your final weight target? What is your daily weight target?

2 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by GGfadar(m): 1:10pm On Dec 20, 2014
am not in for argument.
truly it depends on ur location, no doubt
As far as i understand, you are talking as a consumer and not a producer or marketer, so no problem.
if it works like that for you, no problem
i really enjoy ur thread since i started following it and i've confirmed a lot of posibilities in ur thread, i,ve been to KANO too but later discovered a NIGER REPUBLIC BORDER @ JIGAWA which i prefer due to reasonable price of animals and due to security issues.
i might not prove with pictures now cos i lost my phone and my flash drive. thrs is a boluwajoko on nairaland that can testify to it and have seen my animals too before i sold them off this last sallah festival, having a few left.
if u r within my axis, i can prove to you one day. my farm is just behind I.I.T.A, in ibadan.
i was so sad when i discovered all i placed on nairaland wiped off sometimes back and also lost my stuffs.
i just had to keep up what i started anyway.

pls dont get me wrong, no critics
just trying to contribute.
Go on with your good job on NAIRALAND.
GOD BLESS
felixzo1:
it seems you are here to argue and try and show relevance.my record here speaks for itself, if you have contary veiws state them here with evidence instead of just arguing .i can upload prices, pix and contact you can get goats a year old goats for less than 6000 or less, but generally prices in the south are higher than in north becos the north produces more goats,go out now and price a sizeable he goat (more than two years old)if you will get it less than 17000. anybody can verify that fact .the importance of goat fattening is to buy young goats with low weight and feed the intensive to encourage rapid weight gain and sell when demand is higher, simple logic of demand and supply.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by laksyde100(m): 9:17am On Dec 22, 2014
GGfadar:
am not in for argument.
truly it depends on ur location, no doubt
As far as i understand, you are talking as a consumer and not a producer or marketer, so no problem.
if it works like that for you, no problem
i really enjoy ur thread since i started following it and i've confirmed a lot of posibilities in ur thread, i,ve been to KANO too but later discovered a NIGER REPUBLIC BORDER @ JIGAWA which i prefer due to reasonable price of animals and due to security issues.
i might not prove with pictures now cos i lost my phone and my flash drive. thrs is a boluwajoko on nairaland that can testify to it and have seen my animals too before i sold them off this last sallah festival, having a few left.
if u r within my axis, i can prove to you one day. my farm is just behind I.I.T.A, in ibadan.
i was so sad when i discovered all i placed on nairaland wiped off sometimes back and also lost my stuffs.
i just had to keep up what i started anyway.

pls dont get me wrong, no critics
just trying to contribute.
Go on with your good job on NAIRALAND.
GOD BLESS

Thanks to both of u for ur criticisms and arguments, indirectly u guys are broadening we the beginners theoretical knowledge & skills. Bro can u grant me a visit to ur farm for more practical knowledge and designed of ur farm. This will greatly help me when I finally step up from my small backyard rearing to medium production of sheep & goats come Feb ending 2015. Thanks in advance as I anticipatedly await ur reply
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2014
laksyde100:

Thanks to both of u for ur criticisms and arguments, indirectly u guys are broadening we the beginners theoretical knowledge & skills. Bro can u grant me a visit to ur farm for more practical knowledge and designed of ur farm. This will greatly help me when I finally step up from my small backyard rearing to medium production of sheep & goats come Feb ending 2015. Thanks in advance as I anticipatedly await ur reply
it can be arrange in the near future but not that soon, sent me a mail at talk2fanen@gmail.com
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 09, 2015
felixzo1:
DAIRY BUSINESS CAN GET NIGERIAN FARMERS OUT OF POVERTY’

Professor Jerome Gefu is the Executive Director of the National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI), an affiliate of the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria. In this interview with Daily Trust, he explains how Nigerian farmers can make farming a money-making venture through rearing of cows for milk, among other issues. Excerpts:

Can you give us a hint about the activities of NAPRI?

NAPRI was established even before the university (ABU) was established. It was established in 1928. It was first established as a stock-farm to be able to work on how to improve animals that would be used by our local farmers to improve their breeds. In other words, NAPRI was established to bring in improved technology to the local farmers in order to improve their production. As time went on, it became a grassland research station. That became imminent because the bulk of the feed that is required by the animals is grass. So, we started research on different species of grass; many of which were brought from different parts of the country and the world at large. They were domesticated after we found them suitable for different parts of our ecological zones. Since then, we have expanded our mandate. We now have mandate to do research on all domestic animals, including cattle, that is beef and diary, sheep and goats, swine, poultry, particularly the main type.

How can Nigerian farmers benefit from your researches on cows?

We are in the business of distributing improved animals, which include cows and bulls. Our daily research programme involves artificial insemination for improved breeds. We call them crosses. This is a cross between the local breed, that is the Bunaji, and the exotic breed. In the exotic breed, because they are many, we have chosen Tregian. The Tregian crossed Bunaji is what we are popularising. The advantage is that the cross does not require high level of management like the pure one. If you had a pure Tregian and a cross between it and Bunaji, you would see the difference. The management requirement for pure Tregian is higher because it needs cooler place, good environment and good feeding. But if it is a cross, you find that the level of management is lower and still brings good amount of milk. The end result is the milk that a farmer gets. Right now, we have crosses that give 25 to 30 litres of milk per day unlike the Bunaji that gives between two and five, depending on the season.
This is a breakthrough that we are distributing to farmers across the country. The demand is very high. Therefore, we have to ration, and in some cases we give them the bull so that they can use to cross their local and indigenous animals in order to get the cross. The whole essence of this is to increase and improve our milk production and cut down our milk importation. Right now, almost 80 percent of our milk consumption in this country comes from abroad.

Are farmers really taking advantage of this new technology?

Pastoralists and farmers come to the institute to learn all these things. Recently, some farmers from Damau (Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State) visited the institute. They came with their women, and the women were even more in number. This shows that women are now being brought into livestock production, which was not the case before. This gives us a lot of excitement. We visit pastoralists in our neighbouring communities to buy their milk and in return we offer them services in terms of extension service, feed advise and medication at cost recovery. We have animal medication that we give to farmers, especially during outbreak at cost recovery without charging them anything. We think that we should provide free services for the pastoralists to assist them. This would also help them to avoid fake drugs, and we involve ourselves in this area to assist them by providing genuine drugs at cost recovery.
Is this technology also targeted at meeting the beef requirement of the country?
When you breed an animal, the possibility is 50-50, that is, 50 percent chance of male or female upspring. If we have a cross that is a bull, we usually send it for slaughter. We encourage people to also have herds of bulls, which they would fatten. It is easy to fatten an animal that has attained a weight of 250 kilogrammes over a period of 90 days. This is a lot of money and a farmer would require just local materials for feed. You use harawa, crop residue and occasionally add concentrated feed like groundnut cake or soya beans cake for protein. This is one of the ways of increasing meat availability in the country.

A farmer that gets large quantity of milk, how would he manage it?

It is true, a farmer would get large quantity of milk if he feeds his animal very well and give them enough water. These animals have to be zero-grazed, that is, they have to be confined in a house without taking them out for grazing at all. But a farmer can take them out occasionally to exercise their muscles, because they are like human beings that require exercise from time to time. A farmer can get the required milk when he gives his animals adequate feed, medication and water. In fact, water should be there continuously. Once a farmer does that he would get his required milk. In some cases, milk production by cows is genetic. Some animals take the gene of their mother or father. We have recently lost a cow,
Mahaukachia, due to snake bite. This animal was giving us 35 litres of milk per day. So, the animal was such a good milk producer with special qualities. We have now started to trace the offspring and see whether they have taken some of her genes. We are working closely on that and one of the female offspring is pregnant now. We want to see whether she would give us what the mother was giving us. In that line, we would expand our production.
Dairy farming is such an expensive but rewarding venture. Dairy farmers abroad are about the richest farmers in US and UK. Once a farmer starts milking that is when his profit comes and you don’t keep your cows for milking for more than three years, that is, three lactations. If they give birth for about three times, you take them for slaughter and that is money also. Government has been encouraging us to encourage the farmers to be producing milk, and we are doing that.

Are there no challenges in managing the milk?

You can process the milk to different forms. From yoghurt, butter, to cheese and the farmers are doing it to reduce wastage, particularly during the rainy season when there is abundance of milk production. This is especially in the Mambilla and Jos areas where there is a lot of milk but without buyers. We are working on how to do milk powder so that during period of glut, high production period, we can collate and turn them to powder. We are doing the same thing with the Shika Brown, where we are collaborating to be producing egg powder, especially during the glut period where you can’t find market for your eggs.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/agriculture/38730-dairy-business-can-get-nigerian-farmers-out-of-poverty
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by AreaFada2: 5:26pm On Jan 10, 2015
hmmmmmm..... nice

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

How Many Bag Of Feed Do I Need In Rearing 100 Broilers / Just Killed This Animal But Don't Know It's Name. / Updated Prices Of Day Old Broiler,Cockerel,Layers From Ibadan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.