Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix (129216 Views)

See The Animal This Farmer Caught (pic) / Cattle, Ram & Goat Fattening, My Strategy As Additional Income Means / Goat Farming In Nigeria... Is It For You??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by kalimera101: 11:35pm On Mar 05, 2015
Maple:
^^ I did replied your mail as well. smiley

Thank you. And I've sent another one.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 9:31am On Mar 10, 2015
Really inspired by this thread.

How much does it cost to do artificial insemination per cow?

And can Alfalfa be cultivated in Nigeria,if yes where? Read it is the best feed for dairy cows

Can a guru please highlight on the Guernsey breed .
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by kalimera101: 12:27am On Mar 15, 2015
Please felixzo1 what machines do i need for a diary farm and where can I get them in Nigeria
Thank you
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by jasper83: 8:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
Nice
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 9:10pm On Mar 23, 2015
Please this thread shouldn't die off cry cry cry cry
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by kentochi(m): 10:23am On Mar 24, 2015
Good morning great farmers reading through this thread is wounderful and lovely .
My father use to keep goat back than
I will like to start soon as I have my own house cos no body will permit to keep goat in there house.

@Op. And others pls bring this thread back to life thanks.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by tpiadotcom: 9:47pm On Apr 19, 2015
Pavore9:
Taste so natural unlike those tinned & powdered milk! lt will sell well in Nigeria, selling it with milk dispensing machine.

What about lactose intolerance?
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by tpiadotcom: 9:51pm On Apr 19, 2015
felixzo1:
\ all the pictures posted here are foreign breeds, the first picture is a crossbreed between a fresian cattle and a white fulani , the second picture is a brahman cattle, an indian breed it can grow to a weight of 1400 kg, the third picture is friesian bull,it can grow to a weight of 1200 kg, it is a diary breed, the fourth picture is a jersey breed, a dairy cow too, the are cattle belonging to sebore farm in adamawa state. each of the cattle above cost more than 400,000 naira .the advantage of foriegn breed over local breed is, they can produce large quantities of meat and milk , for example, a freisan cow averages about 25 liters of milk a day, and has the gentic potentail to produce 45 liters of milk, i have personally seen a cow producing 45 liters of milk a day. while our local funali cow averages 1 liter of milk a day, a brahman cattle averages a daily weight gain of 1.5 kg while a fulani cattle is 1.0 kg maximum per day, the disadvantages of foriegn breeds are,1, they are very expensive to buy and maintain,and are disease prone.they also find it find it difficult to survive in our hot weather.

Cattle in nigeria are not so much for milk production per se as they are meat sources, milk is not really considered so much of an essential item but more of a luxury one, in most parts of the country.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 11:56pm On Apr 19, 2015
^^^^

False. I see this industry "blowing" in 10-15 years from now. The likes of Arla, Friesland Campina, Danone and very soon Fonterra are in Africa. Definitely, not for charity purposes.

Look forward to getting to know the practicals during my holidays.

Opportunity for milk business in Nigeria is huge”
May 13, 2013 | Filed under: Interview | Author: Editor

Q:How do you see your new assignment as chief executive of FrieslandCampinaWAMCO?

A:I have a mandate to run a company that has been in business in Nigeria for 40 years. And like I said to my team, it is not a one-man show; we really have to make it a success. I think the team is well geared up now to ensure that we even deliver better results than we have ever done. Of course you know the period we are in right now in Nigeria is a challenging one. But having said that, the team I work with is a very strong team, very dedicated. We are all committed to pushing the company forward.
How is FrieslandCampinaWAMCO coping with Nigeria’s harsh business environment?

The harsh business environment is not peculiar to FrieslandCampinaWAMCO. All companies operating in Nigeria operate under the same environment. In any case, I do not want to see it as harsh. I see it as an opportunity. I will tell you why. If you look at the poverty level in Nigeria, which is put at 50 percent of the population or less than $2 a day, people tend to think that there is no market here. But this is wrong. The big opportunity in that market has not yet been tapped in terms of the proposition that we can make to address that level of consumers. Companies in general have not made enough effort. That is an area which we are working on now to tap into opportunities that are available. That is one.
Two, we sell a product, milk, which is a most complete food – most complete food in the sense that knowledge about milk is still very limited even for myself.
Until a few years ago, I never knew the enormous potentials that milk possessed. You can have other foods in any kind of format, but milk is the most complete food that if we can make Nigerians take one glass of it per day, the potential of growth, of healthy living we will be able to achieve will be enormous.
What is the present status of your dairy development programme which you started in 2010?

All the milk collection centres we have built are operational. The yield that we get from those centres is on the increase. At the moment as at April we have collected the highest we have ever collected – 7000 litres per day. But that is still a small drop compared to the volume of milk that we process. We process 500 million litres per day. So if we look at the volume, it is still very small. But it is a long yielding process – it is not a process that you start and you get the result immediately. You have to be patient; you have to invest in it, which is what we are doing today. We are not making profit from it yet, because we believe in the potentials of Nigeria. It is a gradual process and we believe we will get there.
Why are we still way back in dairy milk production?

The breed of our cows, the weather condition, the availability of good pasture, availability of water, good roads (which are all on the low side), are the things that are making it very difficult for us to be self sufficient in dairy milk production now. Cow farming is a big time business. If you go to where our parent company is situated, you will find out that you have to take care of the entire value chain – from grass to glass, right from the field where the cow is treated, to how you milk the cow, to how you process the milk, and eventually how you package it as a finished product that the consumers will buy.
The downstream as far as we have seen in this country is full of potentials for harnessing the opportunities that are available. Once we are able to up the downstream sector with the upstream, the upstream is already there, the market is there. The challenge is just for us to tie up the downstream sector with the upstream.
How do you react to importation of milk?

There are two legs of importation, there is the raw material importation, and there is the finished products importation. The finished products importation attracts 20 percent duty. It is an open market. It is not restricted. You can bring imported milk if you want to bring. So people bring in imported milk and pay the 20 percent duty that it attracts by law. So you have a lot of it in the market.
How do we make milk available to the 50 percent poor, those earning less than $2 a day?

The importance of price point comes to play here because if you see the big pack we have now in the market, the prices are at the level that they should be but they are not easily affordable for this group of people that we have spoken about – the poor. This involves a huge research and development for which our company has not yet developed – to develop a proposition that will carry the same kind of nutrient, the same kind of vitamins, the minerals that you have in the big packs, and cascade it back into small packs. Don’t forget that the smaller the pack, the lower the margin line for the manufacturer. That is the game balance that we have to manage.
The second leg is on the distribution. There are 20,000 villages in Nigeria and very brightly, if you want to go from village to village to run your distribution, you need to face the hurdles that come with it. At the moment, we are studying two countries, we are looking at Asia – some countries in Asia – particularly, and we are looking at India that has been able to establish a good model for their rural area. We are trying to see how we can adapt that here. They have a very good system of microfinance banking. We want to see how we can overcome that challenge of microfinance and see how we can take the product to the rural area.
What steps have you taken to support those involved in milk collection?

Initially when we started our dairy development programme, we were making boreholes – water is very important for dairy production. These were boreholes powered with generator sets. But over the years, we have found out that the generator sets could not be maintained by the host communities. We change to solar power. At the moment, we have 36 boreholes that are powered by solar. We are now connecting the boreholes to those communities. So wherever we have a milk collection centre, we put a borehole powered by solar to move milk from point of production to points of collection.
The dairy development programme is generating employment for the host community. So you find now people going into transportation. You find all kinds of transportation models – okada adapted to carry load, tricycles – all a product of the ingenuity of the indigenes of the host community. We want to provide them milk collection tanks because we do not want them to use any kind of tanks. We have invested in special containers for milk collection. They are now making money and we now see that their living standard has improved. Those living in mud houses are have now plastered their houses.
Forty years on, what is the business outlook in the milk industry in the years ahead?

Forty years, I agree with you, is a long time, but the opportunity of the current business has improved even if you take current business that you run. The opportunities are still there. I give you an example: Per capita consumption of milk in Nigeria is 8 kilogrammes. If I go to the extreme, Holland is 320 kilogrammes. Even if we are able to develop the milk consumption awareness, to just half of what it is in Holland, there is a huge opportunity. And that is what we are encouraging with our one glass of milk per day campaign.
Don’t you think people are not consuming as much as they should consume because the price is too high for them?

I do not think the price is responsible. If you compare the amount of money we spend on recharge cards with cost of a can of milk, you will find that it is not expensive. I think the issue is that of priority. And as long as our awareness level is low, it is not going to happen. That is why we have taken the initiative to invest in raising the awareness level of Nigerians so that they can know the relevance of milk in their life.

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 12:14am On Apr 20, 2015
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by tpiadotcom: 3:05am On Apr 20, 2015
Your business plan should probably depend on your supplying milk products to already existing companies which sell milk in various forms. Unless you want to break into the market and do the same.

Like I said, lactose intolerance is a real problem, this is one of the reasons why fresh milk is not consumed in nigeria ( aside from climate and infrastructure).

However, you are welcome to give it a go, we are all learning.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 8:06am On Apr 20, 2015
Read about the lactose intolerance. Quite bad for business. It's even genetic, mostly in Africa.

Although, like I said there must be a reason why the big dairy firms are making inroads to Africa. Consuming middle class, rising population, next frontier etc.

Chai!!!! Enough money to be made.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 21, 2015
tpiadotcom:
Your business plan should probably depend on your supplying milk products to already existing companies which sell milk in various forms. Unless you want to break into the market and do the same.

Like I said, lactose intolerance is a real problem, this is one of the reasons why fresh milk is not consumed in nigeria ( aside from climate and infrastructure).

However, you are welcome to give it a go, we are all learning.

Gerrard59:
Read about the lactose intolerance. Quite bad for business. It's even genetic, mostly in Africa.

Although, like I said there must be a reason why the big dairy firms are making inroads to Africa. Consuming middle class, rising population, next frontier etc.

Chai!!!! Enough money to be made.

Lactose Intolerance is probably the least of the reasons. 90% of milk imported into the country and almost all the ones derived locally are not lactose free and yet, the dairy sector is the second largest in the country's food and beverage industry.

The major reason why most Nigerians dont consume fresh milk is because it is not readily available out there. Because of its short shelf life, fresh milk can not be imported and those that can supply it locally (the fulanis in rural areas) lack proper storage facilities to even distribute it. Also, due to the erratic power supply in the country, potential consumers lack the resources to constantly keep it refrigerated without risking it getting spolied. It is even worse for the fulanis (in the rural areas) who dominate 95% of the local dairy market. Their cow breeds do not produce sufficient milk, even at that, they are lacking proper milk storage facilities in rural areas and could not transport it on a large scale without risking it getting spoiled. For them, it makes business sense to ferment their milk to prolong its shelf life. Fura da nono which is a delicacy is made from fermented milk.

Left to Nigerians, they'll buy fresh milk over the "powdered-milk processed' dairy products which dominates our dairy market, because it is the most nutritious. In abroad, fresh milk is a necessity in every home. Nigeria economy is growing rapidly, it is only a matter of time, It'll be a necessity in the homes of average income Nigerians.

Compared to Fresh milk, Yogurts, fermented, powdered etc do have a longer shelf life which is why it makes business sense to most, to buy fresh milk or powdered milk and process it into yogurts and so on. There are many out there who would want fresh milk, but wont even get it because it is made scarce by the problems I mentioned. However, UHT(Ultra High Temp) processed "fresh" milk with prolonged shelf life are beginning to pop up in the markets. Even the UHT processed milks lack the taste of fresh milk, and they aint as nutritious.

@Gerrard59 raised an important point which should be pondered upon. Multi-billion dollars foreign corporations have seen the big potential in investing in Nigeria's dairy sector, and are in a big rush to fill the voids.

4 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Liadi2(m): 9:21pm On Apr 25, 2015
felixzo1:
i am back after a little break, i went for agric show recently here is what i found out in pictures.
pls I need ur contact
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 9:27am On Apr 26, 2015
Liadi2:
pls I need ur contact
talk2fanen@gmail.com
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 9:31am On Apr 26, 2015
sorry for not updating for a while.my next update will be beef cattle farming and upgrading of our local cows
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 12:32am On Apr 27, 2015
felixzo1:
sorry for not updating for a while.my next update will be beef cattle farming and upgrading of our local cows

Yeppie!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boss is back.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 9:56pm On Apr 27, 2015
Beef cattle farming is simply keeping cattle for beef production. The beef cattle industry has contributed greatly to Nigeria economy by way of revenue generation, employment, raw material for industries. The sector supplies meat there by cutting down meat importation from foreign countries. The predominantly cattle breeds used for beef production in Nigeria include, Red Bororo, Sokoto Gudali (Adamawa Gudali) White Fulani , Ndama , and Muturu breeds. But beef production by these breeds is low; this is due to one of many factors which include
• poor management system by traditional pasturist
• poor nutrition
• long calving interval
• poor growth rate
• Limited body formation.
A small holder farmer can tap into the potential of beef production by keeping a few cows and upgrading the genetics of our local cows for faster growth rate, short calving intervals and improve body size.
 Bosmara breed, Brahman breeds are some of the good beef cattle that can be used for genetic improvement of our local stocks. It is better to keep very few productive breed than having a large herd of poor producers. Certain factors should be considered before starting a beef farm.
 Capital.
 Land.
 Breed of cattle.
 Size of herd.
 Age of foundation stock.
 Target market.
 Feeds and water.
My working strategy involves buying young calves of about 6 months old feeding them with enough forage and required concentrates, after reaching a required body size ( 250kg ), inseminating them with Brahman Bull or Bosmara Bull se’men and waiting for the cows to calve, and then feeding the calves to market size body weight of 450kg, these will take a period of 18 to 24months for the calf to grow into a market size weight (it usually takes a local cow 36 to 49 months to reach that body size)

4 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by FarmTech(m): 11:23pm On Apr 27, 2015
Thanks for all the info op.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by sartee(m): 4:00pm On Apr 28, 2015
felixzo1:
Beef cattle farming is simply keeping cattle for beef production. The beef cattle industry has contributed greatly to Nigeria economy by way of revenue generation, employment, raw material for industries. The sector supplies meat there by cutting down meat importation from foreign countries. The predominantly cattle breeds used for beef production in Nigeria include, Red Bororo, Sokoto Gudali (Adamawa Gudali) White Fulani , Ndama , and Muturu breeds. But beef production by these breeds is low; this is due to one of many factors which include
• poor management system by traditional pasturist
• poor nutrition
• long calving interval
• poor growth rate
• Limited body formation.
A small holder farmer can tap into the potential of beef production by keeping a few cows and upgrading the genetics of our local cows for faster growth rate, short calving intervals and improve body size.
 Bosmara breed, Brahman breeds are some of the good beef cattle that can be used for genetic improvement of our local stocks. It is better to keep very few productive breed than having a large herd of poor producers. Certain factors should be considered before starting a beef farm.
 Capital.
 Land.
 Breed of cattle.
 Size of herd.
 Age of foundation stock.
 Target market.
 Feeds and water.
My working strategy involves buying young calves of about 6 months old feeding them with enough forage and required concentrates, after reaching a required body size ( 250kg ), inseminating them with Brahman Bull or Bosmara Bull se’men and waiting for the cows to calve, and then feeding the calves to market size body weight of 450kg, these will take a period of 18 to 24months for the calf to grow into a market size weight (it usually takes a local cow 36 to 49 months to reach that body size)
Can you please drop your contact for whatsapp or your email ID. Thanks for the updates .
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 4:03pm On Apr 28, 2015
sartee:

Can you please drop your contact for whatsapp or your email ID. Thanks for the updates .
talk2fanen@gmail.com
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by zimoni(f): 11:41pm On May 22, 2015
Interesting thread.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by RehobothFarms: 6:13am On May 28, 2015
felixzo1:
i will also be updating soon, i have a lot of pictures to share,

Hey,
please inbox me your details. I would love to have a chat with you as I'm planning to set up a beef/dairy cattle ranch soon.
My email address is rehobothcattleranch@yahoo.com.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by RehobothFarms: 6:15am On May 28, 2015
Maple:
My farm's dairy crossbreeds:

Pix 1:Ayshire (F1), Friesian (F1), Simmental (F2) and Brown Swiss(F1) crosses
Pix 2: Australian Friesian Sahiwal (AFS) (F2) crossbreed

Hey,
please inbox me your details. I would love to have a chat with you as I'm planning to set up a beef/dairy cattle ranch soon.
My email address is rehobothcattleranch@yahoo.com.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Johnnyessence(m): 6:55am On May 28, 2015
we need more pics of ur product for people to see oooooooo so that they can be satisfied of d farming thks for ur info here u are doing great jobs D lord is ur strength.

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by lanre2009: 2:07pm On Jun 11, 2015
@ felixzo1 and other gurus in the house, is it really possible to for a cow to produce 80 Liters of milk per day?

Our American cows give us 80 liters of milk daily

In this interview, Alhaji Samir Salihu Argungu who is into poultry, fishery, dairy and breeding of sheep in Sokoto, says he remains into farming to contribute his quota in making Nigeria food sufficient. Excerpts:

What prompted you to go into large scale poultry, cows, fishing and sheep farming?
First and foremost, my parents were farmers and so I grew up as a farmer. Beyond that, when I realised that most of the things we feed on in this country like rice, palm oil and other food items are imported, even the chickens and eggs that we were using in Sokoto were brought to us from Ibadan at high prices and inadequate quantity. I resolved to make sure I set up my farm to contribute towards providing food in this country. In the meantime, we are into poultry, dairy, fishery and have some sheep as well. We are into large scale selling of milk, eggs and fish. I started with 500 birds but within the first 6 months, 28 of them died. On the advice of my veterinary doctor, I increased the number to 1,000. When people knew about the farm, they started coming to buy eggs from the farm. I was again advised to buy broilers since all the 1,000 were layers, I did just that. Gradually, the farm developed to this level. Within just 8 weeks or so the broilers will mature for sell.

How many birds do you have in your farm now?
I now have 7,200 layers with only 2,000 broilers left. We do not keep the broilers for long, the moment they are matured we sell to bulk buyers and we also sell on retail price to people that buy, slaughter and prepare the chicken for buyers here.

How do you get their feeds?
Our veterinary experts are responsible for mixing their feeds. We have a mill for the processing of their feeds. We would not like to give details of how we mix their feeds, but the fact is we combine maize, soya beans, moringa leaves that we have here and some other ingredients.

What difficulties are you facing in this business?
Our major problem is when the weather is hot. You know Sokoto has harsh weather and chickens do not like heat. But from the onset we selected a site where the heat will not be much.

What informed your decision to combine sheep, cows, chicken and fish in one farm?
You are aware that most farms that combine poultry and fishery is because they use the chicken waste and meat of the dead chicken to feed the fish, we also do that. Again, all the maize we are using to produce the feed comes from our farm. We are operating a sort of integrated farm. We do not buy or apply fertiliser to our farms, instead, we use the manure from our cows and sheep, the waste from the poultry and the waste water from the fish ponds on our farms. I use to import the chicken pens, that is the cages from China India and Turkey and sell here. People come from Ondo, Bauchi and other parts of Nigeria to buy the pens from us.

Do you have access to bank loans?
I have never accessed any form of loan from any bank or government. The only assistance I know we got from government was when they gave us 500 fingerlings. I understand they gave to all the fish farms in the state. That was the only support we got from government. Farming generally is improving greatly in the state because the governor himself is a farmer and is doing a lot to encourage farmers and improve farming activities in the state. I remember when fish farmers invited him to an event, he attended and even donated large consignment of fish from his farm. He is doing a lot to farmers in this state.

How many fishes and cows do you have in the farm?
We have 50,000 tilapia and 80,000 cat fishes in this farm. We brought our cows from the United States of America specifically for dairy purpose, to produce for us in commercial quantity. We have two different varieties, those that give us 20 litres the ones that give us 80 litres milk daily. We sell fresh cow milk in the farm. We also breed the sheep for sale to interested members of the public.

Source:- http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/index.php/agriculture/34670-our-american-cows-give-us-80-liters-of-milk-daily

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 8:16pm On Jun 11, 2015
the maximum I has seen is 45l from an exotic breed but there has been report of about 56l in Kenya and other countries. The man may be taking about 8 cows, or soo there is something missing in the write up.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 8:24pm On Jun 11, 2015
What the milk trade reveals about the
country
For Muhammadu Abubakar, life is an
uphill struggle. Farming in Nigeria is tricky
at the best of times. Only the brave or
the downright crazy would think of
dealing in a perishable product like milk.
On his ranch on the dusty fringes of Kano,
the biggest city in Nigeria’s north, he
faces a daunting array of problems. The
electricity grid is hopeless. So, at the
gateway, two generators splutter away 24
hours a day. Diesel sets Mr Abubakar back
about 1m naira ($5,100) a month. “We’ve
had two hours of power in three days,” he
says. “There’s no option.”
There are no good cows for sale nearby,
so Mr Abubakar’s company, L&Z
Integrated Farms, plans to start importing
its own. There are no good seeds for
fodder; he brought in cuttings on a
commercial flight from Kenya. There is no
mains water, so he must drill boreholes to
irrigate his fields. Fertile land has a
tendency to turn to dust. He has to train
his own staff to use complicated
machinery. Plenty of batches get spoilt
along the way. By the time it is
processed, a litre of milk has already cost
about 320 naira (£1) to produce.
Then the milk has to get to market.
“Three or four years ago we used to fly
our milk down to Lagos,” he says. “It cost
a fortune. The milk would spoil sitting in
the airport. We had to pay off customs. It
was a nightmare.” Nowadays, the firm
uses costly refrigerated trucks instead.
Drivers must brave day-long journeys on
disintegrating roads. Each truck requires
about 200,000 naira ($1,000) in opaque
licence fees every month. Even when
those are paid, local authorities send
thugs out to get more.
“They make you buy new paperwork,”
one trucker says. “We probably pay
3,000-4,000 naira (roughly $15-$20)
every journey.” When the milk finally
arrives on supermarket shelves, it costs
around three times what it would in
Europe. Cheap long-life imports sell for
less than half the price of local milk.
Nigeria spends roughly $1m a day on
imported milk powder, according to Sahel
Capital, a private equity group which
recently invested the same amount into
Mr Abubakar’s business in the hope of
changing that.
Other types of farming are equally
fraught. Nestlé finds it cheaper to bring
starch in than to buy it locally. Olam, a
Singapore-listed agribusiness, says that
processing costs up to 30% more than in
other countries. Mukul Mathur, who
heads its Nigerian business, says that
moving a container from Kano to Lagos
costs as much as from Lagos to Osaka,
though the distance to Japan is 13 times
greater.
Agricultural reforms have begun in the
past four years, including the introduction
of new subsidies for smallholders. The
arrival in Nigeria of foreign supermarkets
such as Shoprite and Spar provides a
guaranteed market for some growers.
Domestic production appears to be rising,
though Nigeria still has hardly any
companies that add value to basic crops,
for example by turning fruit into juice.
And larger problems such as lousy roads, a
shortage of finance and the insecurity of
land tenure remain unchanged.
Until the 1960s, Nigeria was a net
exporter of food. Now it imports $3
billion a year more than it exports.
Agriculture contributes almost nothing to
government coffers. As oil revenues
plummet and foreign reserves dry up, this
matters.
Mr Abubakar remains one of a
depressingly small group of commercial
farmers in Nigeria. Most of his dairy
competitors, he says, are politicians who
“can afford to sink money into it”. Yet for
all the difficulties he faces, he is struggling
to meet demand. “We are making a very
good profit,” he says. “If you can do that
with milk, you can do it with anything.”
Source: The Economist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2015
Jeez!!!!! From Lagos to Kano, that's ridiculous. Now I see why big foreign firms don't like investing in Nigeria. Almost everybody is into importation, buying and selling.

Less processing nor manufacturing and milk as a product has much profits when there is added value.

That's why I'm urging friends, relatives and family to buy processed milk- be it Cheese, Yogurt, powdered milk etc, cos if we don't buy it, who will?

Mr Felixzo1, which region in Nigeria do you think/know that has a high demand for dairy products apart from the Lagos region? I'm having a notion that it is the South East/South South region. And what's the consumption rate like?

Thanks for your posts, very inspiring.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by olayemifisayo(m): 9:20am On Jun 13, 2015
Good job... Pls I will like to know the cost of poultry pens by sizes
Thanks
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by olayemifisayo(m): 9:27am On Jun 13, 2015
lanre2009:
@ felixzo1 and other gurus in the house, is it really possible to for a cow to produce 80 Liters of milk per day?

Our American cows give us 80 liters of milk daily

In this interview, Alhaji Samir Salihu Argungu who is into poultry, fishery, dairy and breeding of sheep in Sokoto, says he remains into farming to contribute his quota in making Nigeria food sufficient. Excerpts:

What prompted you to go into large scale poultry, cows, fishing and sheep farming?
First and foremost, my parents were farmers and so I grew up as a farmer. Beyond that, when I realised that most of the things we feed on in this country like rice, palm oil and other food items are imported, even the chickens and eggs that we were using in Sokoto were brought to us from Ibadan at high prices and inadequate quantity. I resolved to make sure I set up my farm to contribute towards providing food in this country. In the meantime, we are into poultry, dairy, fishery and have some sheep as well. We are into large scale selling of milk, eggs and fish. I started with 500 birds but within the first 6 months, 28 of them died. On the advice of my veterinary doctor, I increased the number to 1,000. When people knew about the farm, they started coming to buy eggs from the farm. I was again advised to buy broilers since all the 1,000 were layers, I did just that. Gradually, the farm developed to this level. Within just 8 weeks or so the broilers will mature for sell.

How many birds do you have in your farm now?
I now have 7,200 layers with only 2,000 broilers left. We do not keep the broilers for long, the moment they are matured we sell to bulk buyers and we also sell on retail price to people that buy, slaughter and prepare the chicken for buyers here.

How do you get their feeds?
Our veterinary experts are responsible for mixing their feeds. We have a mill for the processing of their feeds. We would not like to give details of how we mix their feeds, but the fact is we combine maize, soya beans, moringa leaves that we have here and some other ingredients.

What difficulties are you facing in this business?
Our major problem is when the weather is hot. You know Sokoto has harsh weather and chickens do not like heat. But from the onset we selected a site where the heat will not be much.

What informed your decision to combine sheep, cows, chicken and fish in one farm?
You are aware that most farms that combine poultry and fishery is because they use the chicken waste and meat of the dead chicken to feed the fish, we also do that. Again, all the maize we are using to produce the feed comes from our farm. We are operating a sort of integrated farm. We do not buy or apply fertiliser to our farms, instead, we use the manure from our cows and sheep, the waste from the poultry and the waste water from the fish ponds on our farms. I use to import the chicken pens, that is the cages from China India and Turkey and sell here. People come from Ondo, Bauchi and other parts of Nigeria to buy the pens from us.

Do you have access to bank loans?
I have never accessed any form of loan from any bank or government. The only assistance I know we got from government was when they gave us 500 fingerlings. I understand they gave to all the fish farms in the stte. That was the only support we got from government. Farming generally is improving greatly in the state because the governor himself is a farmer and is doing a lot to encourage farmers and improve farming activities in the state. I remember when fish farmers invited him to an event, he attended and even donated large consignment of fish from his farm. He is doing a lot to farmers in this state.

How many fishes and cows do you have in the farm?
We have 50,000 tilapia and 80,000 cat fishes in this farm. We brought our cows from the United States of America specifically for dairy purpose, to produce for us in commercial quantity. We have two different varieties, those that give us 20 litres the ones that give us 80 litres milk daily. We sell fresh cow milk in the farm. We also breed the sheep for sale to interested members of the public.

Source:- http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/index.php/agriculture/34670-our-american-cows-give-us-80-liters-of-milk-daily

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by lanre2009: 6:51pm On Jun 13, 2015
@ Felixzo1 and other gurus in the house: Will it be possible to grow the fodder that will be used in feeding the cow/goat/cattle with HYDROPHONICS SYSTEM. I believe this system will save a lot on the cost of feeding the animals. I have attached a link to the video of one of the top people in HYDROPHONIC SYSTEMS in Kenya. Please lets talk about this possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MiCojOj8JY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKcF7joubfI

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

How Many Bag Of Feed Do I Need In Rearing 100 Broilers / Just Killed This Animal But Don't Know It's Name. / Updated Prices Of Day Old Broiler,Cockerel,Layers From Ibadan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.