Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix (129144 Views)

See The Animal This Farmer Caught (pic) / Cattle, Ram & Goat Fattening, My Strategy As Additional Income Means / Goat Farming In Nigeria... Is It For You??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by samshoz(m): 11:23am On Jun 14, 2015
How Can I Make My Doe(she Goat) Stay Or Come Home Often, Any Helpful Tips Pls?
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by FarmTech(m): 9:43pm On Jun 14, 2015
lanre2009:
@ Felixzo1 and other gurus in the house: Will it be possible to grow the fodder that will be used in feeding the cow/goat/cattle with HYDROPHONICS SYSTEM. I believe this system will save a lot on the cost of feeding the animals. I have attached a link to the video of one of the top people in HYDROPHONIC SYSTEMS in Kenya. Please lets talk about this possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MiCojOj8JY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKcF7joubfI
I've once come across scientific papers that says it's not effective.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by lanre2009: 9:45pm On Jun 14, 2015
FarmTech:

Can you shed more light on your findings through the research papers. Thanks
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by FarmTech(m): 10:54pm On Jun 14, 2015
lanre2009:

Can you shed more light on your findings through the research papers. Thanks
Like this one: http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=11721
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by lanre2009: 3:09am On Jun 15, 2015
FarmTech:

Like this one: http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=11721

Still waiting for more contributions. Thanks
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by lanre2009: 10:14am On Jun 15, 2015
FarmTech:

cc: pavore9, felixzo1 : guys whats your take on this
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Pavore9: 5:53pm On Jun 16, 2015
lanre2009:

cc: pavore9, felixzo1 : guys whats your take on this

l have visited farms that feed their cows and pigs with fodders grown through hydroponics, lt is very cost-effective and the animals looked well fed like Yahoo boys. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 16, 2015
Nigeria has the “Dutch disease” and this has been laid bare by the recent fall in oil prices globally, a commodity that contributes over 70 percent of the country’s annual budget, leaving other sector of the economy struggling with underinvestment. The dairy industry in the West African country, which contributed about $1.7 billion in revenue to the Nigerian economy in 2013, has suffered the wrath of years of lack of investment in developing infrastructure to support farmers.

According to an Aljazeera report, over 95 percent of the diary products sold in the country is imported.
“The governments are not helping the situation. The government has focused the attention solely on the petroleum,” Mohamed Salahu, a diary expert in a milk processing firm in Kaduna state, told Aljazeera. Dairy farmers in Nigeria lack electricity and proper storage facilities and have to travel long distances over bad roads get their produce to the processing plant.

The government however says it is working to reduce the country’s dependence on imported milk and milk products.
“What we need is to improve the process and also the establishment of these multiple milking centers across the country where people bring their cattle and milk,” Nigeria’s Minister for Agriculture, Sonny Echono told Aljazeera. Going forwards, by the time we establish the ranches, milk production will become integrated, it will become scientific and we are gradually reducing the imports as we ramp up local production,”

http://afkinsider.com/99662/nigerias-dairy-industry-choked-by-nations-heavy-oil-dependence/#sthash.RotzMNoF.dpuf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOiVSfa6v4I
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 2:24am On Jul 17, 2015
Insightful video.

Power: This sums it up. Same applies to L&Z, integrated dairies etc. When the light is not available talk more of constant, there would be low production. From processing, packaging to storage facilities.

That aside, I don't necessarily believe the government should intervene by supplying equipment or creating ranches for farmers, this is business and government has no business in business. Just provide the enabling environment, by constant power supply, a modern infrastructure, training, low taxes, and export opportunities.

Last time I checked, the Netherlands nor New Zealandic or even the Chinese governments provide farm lands for would be entrepreneurs. Enough of the feeding bottle attitude.

@Jamil, why not take loan? Not just banks here; private equities, BOI? After all, some investors not long ago invested in L & Z.

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jul 17, 2015
^^^

Jamil farm's problem, I would place bulk of the blame on poor management practice and lack of innovation, considering the fact that it was in biz long before other dairy farms like L&Z, Maizube, Sebore etc. Jamil Yogurts was once the most popular and best quality yogurts in the markets, but to my surprise, the dairy biz has deteriorated over the years and is still using the rudimentatry methods of processing as when the farm began... I think this happened after the owner diversifies his business and went into estate biz among others. Jamil Farms metamorphosed into Jamil Group of Companies, with the farm still providing the bulk of the company income. Good for L&Z farms, its is reaping the fruits of its good managements and innovative policies with its recent US$25M shares acquisition by a foreign firm.

The govt can help in many other ways e.g reducing the import of foreign dairy products, and the establishments of milk collection centres in hinter lands where the bulk of our local dairy milk go to waste. Thus creating a more enabling environment for our local dairy sector. In EU & US, dairy sectors are heavily subsidized by the govts, which is why they flood our markets with cheap dairy products. Our govt need to regulate this as many developing countries have done. Else, there's little hope for dairy industry to thrive in this country, and there's high chance this could happen in PMB govt. The recent ban on the importation of frozen poultry meat, is a good sign.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 11:44pm On Jul 17, 2015
Thanks for the info about Jamil.

Regrettable to know that management issues brought them to this unprofitable state. We need more dairy farms and definitely, increased FDI from big firms like Danone, Fonterra, Arla and if possible Menguin.

Hopefully, Buhari gets to further support the sector, considering the fact that he understands the region and animals too.

Where is your dairy farm located? Still in Abuja?
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 17, 2015
Yes its in abuja.

In a remarkable coincidence, I got a Sallah present from my Farm today. smiley

The Brown Swiss cross dairy cow in my farm today gave birth to a female calf. The calf is a cross between brown swiss (25%) + Friesian (50%) + Gudali (25%).

4 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 11:25am On Jul 18, 2015
Maple:
Yes its in abuja.

The Brown Swiss cross dairy cow in my farm today gave birth to a female calf. The calf is a cross between brown swiss (25%) + Friesian (50%) + Gudali (25%).
big congratulations, a sign of good things to come, if I were In abj, I would have certainly gone to your farm

3 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 7:49pm On Jul 18, 2015
Congratulations Mr. Maple, shows that the ministry is moving to the permanent site. cheesy.

Where is your big market?

Really interested in dairy farming. And there's a lot of potentials, considering that with our rudimentary development we garnered $1.7 billion. With increased investment and favourable government policies, we could become the New Zealand of Africa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 9:38am On Aug 08, 2015
Nigeria’s diary industry is growing moderately, with the compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8 percent over the last three years and an estimated revenue of N347 billion in 2013. This industry is driven by rising demography, high youth and middle-class population, continued westernisation and growth in incomes. Others key drivers include development of modern retail channels, urbanisation, availability of products in small packs, among others, analysts have said.

“The continued westernisation, growth in incomes, and development of modern retail channels, means the category is expected to perform better. In particular, the fast growth of modern retail chains will be the main factor spurring growth,” says Euromonitor International, in its 2013 report on cheese, one of the diary products.

“The shift of emphasis to smaller packaging units by virtually all manufacturers also helped boost sales among poor and price sensitive consumers, who previously considered drinking milk products as a luxury,” Euromonitor International, says of milk, another diary product.

The research firm further says that as disposable incomes continue to rise and demand for different flavoured products grows, manufacturers are able to grab consumers from the unpackaged market, while providing better quality and packaged products.

An August 2014 report by Agusto & Co. notes that the dairy sector has emerged the second largest segment in the food and beverage industry (behind poultry) in the country, with estimated revenue of N347 billion in 2013, and compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8 percent over the last three years. The sector leads the food, beverage and tobacco sector, say analysts.

Nigeria’s dairy industry comprises milk, cheese, yoghurt, ice-cream, butter and infant formula. The report by Agusto & Co. says that the milk segment remains the largest in the industry, accounting for an estimated 61 percent of the industry’s turnover.

According to CIA World Factbook, birth rate in the country is 38.03 births/1,000 population (2014 est.). This figure is high when compared with 19.32/1000 in South Africa, 17.48/1000 in Brazil and 12.31/1000 in China. This, according to analysts, is among factors driving the industry. Factors like advertising and promotional sales are also spurring growth. The shift of emphasis to smaller packaging units by virtually all manufacturers also help boost sales among poor and price-conscious consumers, who previously considered drinking milk products as a luxury.

In 2013, demand for milk was put at 1.7 million tons, about 1.2 million tons in excess of domestic supply, which was estimated at 591,470 tons. Imported milk powder was about 75 percent of the Industry’s input. There was high price of raw milk powder, which significantly affected the industry’s operating costs and consequently profits, says Agusto & Co.

Key players such as Friesland Campina, Promasidor, Nestle, Fan Milk, among others, have continued to dominate this market as rise in capital expenditure and demand for dairy products translated into growth in production volumes and turnover.

Though the cheese market is still small, an increased presence of expatriates and rapid increase in the number of supermarkets and hypermarkets such as Spar and Shoprite help to spur growth. Rise in online retail outlets like Konga and Jumia is also propping the growth of the segment.

Yoghurt (‘kunnu’ included) and sour milk drinks are driven by rising disposable income. Packaging the drinks mostly in drinkable forms presents them as an alternative to normal soft drinks. The condensed/evaporated milk is also strong driven by high youth population and birth rate, say analysts.

The World Bank and the United States Census Bureau put Nigeria’s population at 173.6 million. The population of young people is estimated at 70 percent, while the middle-income class is expected to jump to 23 million, using the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) estimates of 5.7 individuals per household in Nigeria.

The Nigerian middle-class in particular jumped six folds between 2000-2014, with the return of democracy and increase in private sector investment, according to Standard Bank, in a new report. The report further states that about 4.1 million households or 11 percent of the Nigerian population consume $23 to $115 a day. These have provided strong platform for the growth of the diary industry, the analysts say.

“Overall, the industry’s financial condition is expected to remain positive, supported by good profitability, low leverage and good operating cash flow,” says Agusto & Co.

Culled From Businessdayonline.com

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by greenmatorganic: 11:50am On Aug 27, 2015
Pavore9:
Nice thread. I wish more nigerians would go into diary so people will have access to freshmilk at cheaper price as Kenyans do. l am living here in Nairobi and l buy a litre of freshmilk for N125 but when l go to d rural areas l buy a litre for N76.

@Pavore9 we are in class together
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by awosmart: 1:42pm On Oct 06, 2015
felixzo1:
pix

pls revive this forum

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by saintalb: 11:15am On Oct 07, 2015
PLEASE LETS KEEP THIS THREAD ACTIVE. KINDLY SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH PICTURES TO ENCOURAGE OTHERS
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by felixzo1(m): 12:20pm On Oct 07, 2015
saintalb:
PLEASE LETS KEEP THIS THREAD ACTIVE. KINDLY SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH PICTURES TO ENCOURAGE OTHERS
sorry guys , I will. started a fattening project ,we sel this December

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Onuels(m): 8:33am On Oct 10, 2015
@op, guess your schedule is mostly busy this days so you have less time to post. but I urge you and other experience hands to not think that your post and ideas are a waste. no they ain't cos you have added a lot to new hands in cattle business. am into cattle's cos of this post though its really been difficult and not much success but I still keep faith. it just sad that I come here seeking inspiration but unable to find any of your. pls remember you are helping other grow. @felix, maple and every other gurus in the house. I miss you guys and we all here needs your expertise.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Pavore9: 8:57am On Oct 10, 2015
Maple:
Yes its in abuja.

What is your daily milk output?
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 10, 2015
Onuels:
@op, guess your schedule is mostly busy this days so you have less time to post. but I urge you and other experience hands to not think that your post and ideas are a waste. no they ain't cos you have added a lot to new hands in cattle business. am into cattle's cos of this post though its really been difficult and not much success but I still keep faith. it just sad that I come here seeking inspiration but unable to find any of your. pls remember you are helping other grow. @felix, maple and every other gurus in the house. I miss you guys and we all here needs your expertise.

Pavore9:

What is your daily milk output?

@ Onuels sorry for leaving u hanging out there. Posts like yours reminds us all that we do indeed must play our role to keep this wonderful thread going. Btw, welcome to the cattle farming club. And as per your present challenges, you must remain patient and optimistic. The challenges of starting cattle biz are enormous, but the profit margin in the long run is incomparable to any livestock biz. Take the challenges in good faith as they come, they are your learning curves. To cross the hurdle, you need patients and perseverance above anything else, and do not listen to any doubting Thomas.

When I first went into cattle biz, in addition to the enormous startup challenges I was facing, one night all my cattle were stolen. Those were my lowest moments. I almost wanted to quit and kept thinking I was in the wrong biz. But I learned from my mistakes and forged on. Glory be to God, today I have 6 cross-bred dairy cattle. I do still have challenges here and there, but I am coping with them just fine. Only one of the cows is lactating for now, and is averaging 8 Litres per day. What my farm makes from processing such little amount of daily milk into yogurt etc. , has given me absolute assurance that I have indeed chosen the right biz. So, stay on course, I believe you are in the right biz too.

6 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 15, 2015
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 15, 2015

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by osca234: 8:11pm On Nov 02, 2015
@op is it really possible to run a successful diary farm in edo or delta state?

am told the issue of tse tse fly is still here
also the market for the milk is not here yet like what i see in those videos

op or anyone with experience should trow more lights please....
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 18, 2015
Its been a while, so I wish to share some of my dairy farm's activities photos.

1) Pregnancy check

2) Calf Pen

3) barn cleaning routine

2 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 18, 2015
1) Farm hydroponic fodder lab

2) 4 days old sorghum fodder

3) farm feed concentrates + bovine medications

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 18, 2015
1) Milked from a cow this morning

2) Pasteurized fresh whole milk

3) New dairy farm site under construction.

2 Likes

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by alakara(m): 8:04pm On Nov 18, 2015
Oga Maple na only u dey enjoy this ur biss u no jawasiiii ooooooooo.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 18, 2015
^^My broda, its not all smooth ride ooo. But with determination, perseverance, and patience, we shall reach the promise land.

1 Like

Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Gerrard59(m): 10:32pm On Nov 18, 2015
@Mr Maple. Congratulations. Considering where you are coming from and where you're now cool. Your dairy site, is it for processing?
From my little knowledge garnered from the internet(although experience wins) wouldn't it have been better for you to have more cows as opposed to a bigger land. Love your hydroponics farm.

As a student I be ecstatic to be under your tutelage.
Re: Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix by Nobody: 2:41am On Nov 19, 2015
Gerrard59:
@Mr Maple. Congratulations. Considering where you are coming from and where you're now cool. Your dairy site, is it for processing?
From my little knowledge garnered from the internet(although experience wins) wouldn't it have been better for you to have more cows as opposed to a bigger land. Love your hydroponics farm.

As a student I be ecstatic to be under your tutelage.

Thanks Gerrard59. To answer your questions, the processing is not done on the farm site.

You made a valid point about the need to increase herds prior to getting bigger land. This was my initial plan at the beginning, which was why I started my pilot project on a leased plot of land. This has helped a lot with my learning curve, and its the rightful thing to do, especially for starters. I could've built a large herd first, before planning to relocate to bigger land. But individual circumstances differ. While it may be prudent for some to continue on this path, it may not be for others. Growing your herd on a small land whether bought or rented has its own limitations which also do vary from place to place. And issue of farm management costs as influence by location, adaptation, land security, accessibility to cheap feed/fodder, water, medical treatment etc would begin to take its toll, and you reach a point where you have to weigh your options. Hence, while I slowly grow my herd, I have come to the conclusion that relocating to this new site (as soon as it is completed) is the better option for me in the long run.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply)

How Many Bag Of Feed Do I Need In Rearing 100 Broilers / Just Killed This Animal But Don't Know It's Name. / Updated Prices Of Day Old Broiler,Cockerel,Layers From Ibadan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.