Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,953 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. (21804 Views)

Can You Solve This Primary 6 Quantitative Reasoning Question? / For The Maths Lovers; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. / Quantitative Reasoning Primary 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by shilexholly(m): 12:14am On Jul 21, 2014
Dis 1 gidi gan o........

1 Like

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Idrismusty97(m): 12:14am On Jul 21, 2014
chai! See as i missed first page. Daris God o!

1 Like

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by EagleScribes: 12:17am On Jul 21, 2014
I don't answer simple questions like this. Please can you ask harder questions like "how much do you want me to sign for you on my chequebook?"
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Kalvan: 12:23am On Jul 21, 2014
I came here expecting something challenging, leaving Disappointed. sad
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by jericco1(m): 12:26am On Jul 21, 2014
Can't you translate it to a literary form?, it would be more understandable. Thanks
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Baddestguyp(m): 12:27am On Jul 21, 2014
1) 12.5% 2) 0% this is becos original nd initial mean the same thing
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Captain001(m): 12:27am On Jul 21, 2014
1) 12.5%. 2) 28.5%
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by CarlOzeki: 12:30am On Jul 21, 2014
The easiest and quickest way to solve the question is to pick a number

Assume Kelly had #100.
She leaves home with 20% of that (#20) and leaves #80 at home.

The manufacturers list price is 25% higher than her #20. This is 125% or 1.25 x 20 which is #25 (Manufacturer List price)

The inflation adjusted price is 50% of what she left at home. This is 50% or 0.5 x 80 which is #40 (Inflation adjusted price)

The inflation adjusted price represents a 14 2/7% mark up on the original price. 14 2/7 is 100/7%. Since it's a markup, the inflation price is (100 + {100/7})% of the original price. This is 800/7%. Changing that to fraction is 8/7. Hence, 8/7 x original price = Inflation adjusted price = #40.
Original price = 40 x 7/8 = #35

We have all the prices now.

1. Difference between original price and initial/manufacturer price = 35 - 25 = 10
10/100 = 0.1
The answer to the first question is 10% if considering her total #100 or 12.5% if considering only the money she left at home.

2. This question makes no sense because the item has not actually been sold so there can't be any profit.
If you assume the profit from selling at the markup price of #40 and also assuming that the cost price is the manufacturer list price of #25, then the profit is #15. Hence the markup price percentage of the profit is 40/15 = 266.7%

15 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by ckhelvin: 12:34am On Jul 21, 2014
Op please rephrase your question cos it's really confusing...initial and original means the same thing oooo..or u referring to the original as the prize given during inflation and initial as prize given before inflation..
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by akpanikpe(m): 12:37am On Jul 21, 2014
Let me know when Isaac Newton comment. Before then , abeg who knew tomorrow's date? grin
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by hod898(m): 12:37am On Jul 21, 2014
Nice
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by bolafez(m): 12:40am On Jul 21, 2014
I hate maths
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by ayukdaboss(m): 12:46am On Jul 21, 2014
akpanikpe: Let me know when Isaac Newton comment. Before then , abeg who knew tomorrow's date? grin

Stop embarrassing yourself everywhere angry

4 Likes

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by hushmail: 12:47am On Jul 21, 2014
i go solve am
make i finish midnight call
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Ishilove: 12:48am On Jul 21, 2014
WTF?!? shocked embarassed

Who the fvck put this on the frontpage?? The question has given my brain muscle pull. I HATE maths!! cry sad angry
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by olusolaj(m): 12:50am On Jul 21, 2014
(1) 12.5% of the total amount . (2) 37.5%
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by iamjean(m): 12:52am On Jul 21, 2014
Okay
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by NaLaugh: 12:53am On Jul 21, 2014
The answer is..

The answer is... Pineapple.
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by piagetskinner(m): 12:54am On Jul 21, 2014
Just thinking out loud what the answer might be gringrin
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Chimex388: 1:00am On Jul 21, 2014
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by LarryVercetti(m): 1:02am On Jul 21, 2014
Just a try. 1)11.43% .... 2)40%..
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Bolt3(m): 1:12am On Jul 21, 2014
The difference btw the original price and the initial price is 12.5% of her income. I don't grab the second question
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by obiscolly(m): 1:15am On Jul 21, 2014
1) 10% not 12.5%. 12.5% is the percentage of the money she had at home.
2) 70% is my best guess. For the profit to be calculated there should be a mention of the cost price. And that wasn't mentioned. However since 'decent profit' was used in the question it's safe to estimate the cost price to the initial price of the radio (assuming the initial price is at zero profit).
Original price= profit + initial price
35= profit + 25
Profit= 10.
So 10/14.27 * 100 = 70%
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by dhaewood(m): 1:31am On Jul 21, 2014
[b]PLS USE UR MATHS SKILL TO CALCULATE THE NEXT SET OF WINNING NUMBER OF BABA IJEBU...............................Proverbs 14:23 ►
Parallel Verses
New International Version
All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

New Living Translation
Work brings profit, but mere talk leads to poverty!

English Standard Version
In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty.

New American Standard Bible
In all labor there is profit, But mere talk leads only to poverty.

King James Bible
In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
There is profit in all hard work, but endless talk leads only to poverty.

International Standard Version
In hard work there is always profit, but too much chattering leads to poverty.

NET Bible
In all hard work there is profit, but merely talking about it only brings poverty.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
In all that concerns you, one thing is profitable, and he that is diminished in his way of life is quiet and will be pleasant. Lord Jehovah heals every sickness, and the speech of the lips of the evil damages them.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
In hard work there is always something gained, but idle talk leads only to poverty.

Jubilee Bible 2000
In all labour there is fruit, but to talk and not do, brings poverty.

King James 2000 Bible
In all labor there is profit: but the talk of the lips leads only to poverty.

American King James Version
In all labor there is profit: but the talk of the lips tends only to penury.

American Standard Version
In all labor there is profit; But the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.

Douay-Rheims Bible
In much work there shall be abundance: but where there are many words, there is oftentimes want.

Darby Bible Translation
In all labour there is profit; but the talk of the lips [tendeth] only to want.

English Revised Version
In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.

Webster's Bible Translation
In all labor there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.

World English Bible
In all hard work there is profit, but the talk of the lips leads only to poverty.

Young's Literal Translation
In all labour there is advantage, And a thing of the lips is only to want.[/b]
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Exponental(m): 1:48am On Jul 21, 2014
Lemme grab my pen n jotter
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by okzcorp: 2:15am On Jul 21, 2014
Who force you go attempt am? Eh

Ishilove: WTF?!? shocked embarassed

Who the fvck put this on the frontpage?? The question has given my brain muscle pull. I HATE maths!! cry sad angry
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Ashantiking: 2:21am On Jul 21, 2014
paranorman: Out of the total money on her, Kelly took 20% off with her and left over the rest at home on her way to the market. On getting to the market, she saw a radio she liked but found out its price (initial) on its manufacturer's list was 25% higher than what she took to the market. So she thought she could work something out with the seller but was disappointed when told the list got old, prices were adjusted due to inflation and the radio could only be sold at a price which was 50% of her left-over at home; this price was a mark-up of 14 whole and 2/7 % on the original price the seller should have sold it and make a decent profit.

The difference between the original price and initial price is what percent of total money Kelly had?

What percent of the profit is the mark-up price?

Tnx for giving me a headache
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Tinkybabe(f): 2:30am On Jul 21, 2014
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Tinkybabe(f): 2:31am On Jul 21, 2014
Let's assume she left home with t(20% of total money)
She left at home 4t (80% of total money )
and In total had 5t

Initial price of radio= (0.25t + t)= 1.25t= 5/4t
Final price = 50%(4t) = 2t
Original (should have been) price = y =7/4t

2t= y+(100/7%)y
2t= y+1/7y= 8/7y

Hence y = 2t(7/8 )= 7/4t

Now we have a uniform variable

1) difference btw original and initial price as a percentage of total money

Ie (7/4 -5/4 )t = 1/2t or 0.5t

% of total money = (0.5/5)100= 10%

2) what percent of the profit is the mark up price?

Total profit made = final price -initial price
ie. 2t - 5/4t = 3/4t

Mark up price = (100/7)% of y = (1/7)7/4t = 1/4t

(Recall y = 7/4t from above)

Percentage profit in mark up price =
(1/4 divided by 3/4)100
(0.25/0.75)100

= 33.33%**

PS-
Op..the second question is ambiguous- do you mean profit made from original price or final price?
I assumed profit from final price though.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Students Of NDU Complain Over Dirty Water Supplied To Hostels (Pics& Video) / Re: Eksu (unad & Usti) Cutoff Mark And Admission News! / Lagos Completes Elemoro Junior Secondary School Facility (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.