Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,628 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. (21805 Views)

Can You Solve This Primary 6 Quantitative Reasoning Question? / For The Maths Lovers; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. / Quantitative Reasoning Primary 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 21, 2014
1=1.6% 2=82%
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Skillsmaster(m): 12:02am On Jul 22, 2014
If Ÿ̲̣ø̲̣̣̥u̲̅ ask me na who I  G̲̣̣̣̥O̶̲̥̅̊  ask undecided
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by GoodcasHMan: 12:40pm On Jul 22, 2014
I beg money na koko now
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by paranorman(m): 12:51pm On Jul 22, 2014
bone1990:

No 1 is 10percent.. No 2 can't be solved becos we know not the cost price
yeah. Its ten. Just checked my errors. Thanks for attemptin.
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by paranorman(m): 12:53pm On Jul 22, 2014
adanny01:

Yours is the most simple straight forward of all solutions i have seen. Its perfect for me.

The op seems to also get it wrong for accepting as correct 12.5% for the answer while his question refered to the percentage of the total amount kelly had which is 10%. The right answer is 10% not 12.5 as the op accepted.

The second question is where you didnt take the question for what it is, although still ambigious. I understand that question is off for asking 'what percentage of the profit is the markup price' while you answered 'what percentage of the markup price is the profit' or 'percentage of profit in the markup price'. The two just as i bolded are not the same but an exact opposite of each other . Your answer suits logical thinking making the original question faulty. Logically, the op should have asked 'what percentage of the markup price is the profit' but did it the other way round.

just checked my errors. The correct ans for the first is 10% over-confi killed moi. My badda.
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by bigfoot79(m): 1:31pm On Jul 22, 2014
This is not a mathematical problem but a host of erratic usage of English to deceive the Nairaland masses.
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by paranorman(m): 2:23pm On Jul 22, 2014
kobonaire: Let's say Kelly initially had x Naira. So if she too 20% then
Money taken to market : 0.2x
Money left at home : 0.8x

Radio initial listing price was 25% higher than what she took to the market which means
1.25 * 0.2x= 0.25x

Seller adjusted price was 50% of what she had left at home => 0.5*0.8x= 0.4x
And this price is a 14 2/7% markup of what it actually should have listed for => 1.1427 of what it should have listed for. (The question becomes ambiguous here IMHO).

Anyway if the original price is y then the mark up price is 1.1427y and since it is equal to 50% of what she left at home=>
1.1427y=0.4x

The difference between the original price and initial price is what percent of total money Kelly had?
Original price = 0.4x , initial price = 0.25x => difference - (0.4-0.25)x = 0.15x and as a percentage of what Kelly had = 0.15x/x = 0.15 (15%)

What percent of the profit is the mark-up price? Isn't this simply the mark up? I don't get the question, please clarify @paranorman

[size=13pt]UPDATE[/size]
So the OP has responded saying that the answer to the second question is "INSUFFICIENT DATA" .... abeg, that was rather disappointing, why ask us a question that does not have an answer (simply admit you messed up the question grin) ..... see the post here

nah.. Its insufficeint data bro. Profit is sp-cp.. Cost price of the goods were not stated; whether explicit or implicitly. I intentionally contructed it that way. If you'r used to this kinda question, its a common tin.
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by kobonaire(m): 3:04pm On Jul 22, 2014
paranorman:

nah.. Its insufficeint data bro. Profit is sp-cp.. Cost price of the goods were not stated; whether explicit or implicitly. I intentionally contructed it that way. If you'r used to this kinda question, its a common tin.
ok interesting..., what background is this question? Accounting/Finance?
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by paranorman(m): 4:34pm On Jul 22, 2014
kobonaire: ok interesting..., what background is this question? Accounting/Finance?
wel, you may tag it an if you want. Had none on my mind. Another question is coming up lately. I'd want you to specially attemp it. This is an invitation to try it out. Stay tuned.
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by Timijo(m): 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2014
CarlOzeki: The easiest and quickest way to solve the question is to pick a number

Assume Kelly had #100.
She leaves home with 20% of that (#20) and leaves #80 at home.

The manufacturers list price is 25% higher than her #20. This is 125% or 1.25 x 20 which is #25 (Manufacturer List price)

The inflation adjusted price is 50% of what she left at home. This is 50% or 0.5 x 80 which is #40 (Inflation adjusted price)

The inflation adjusted price represents a 14 2/7% mark up on the original price. 14 2/7 is 100/7%. Since it's a markup, the inflation price is (100 + {100/7})% of the original price. This is 800/7%. Changing that to fraction is 8/7. Hence, 8/7 x original price = Inflation adjusted price = #40.
Original price = 40 x 7/8 = #35

We have all the prices now.

1. Difference between original price and initial/manufacturer price = 35 - 25 = 10
10/100 = 0.1
The answer to the first question is 10% if considering her total #100 or 12.5% if considering only the money she left at home.

2. This question makes no sense because the item has not actually been sold so there can't be any profit.
If you assume the profit from selling at the markup price of #40 and also assuming that the cost price is the manufacturer list price of #25, then the profit is #15. Hence the markup price percentage of the profit is 40/15 = 266.7%

Please help me with these questions:
1. You are given #67 and you
are asked to divide between
Peter, Musa and John such
that Peter will have #10
more than Musa and Musa
will have #18 more than John. 2. Musa donate 2% of his
annual salary to community
development in his locality
and Sam donate 1% of his
annual salary to the
community. The total donation of both Musa's and
Sam's is #24,000. If Musa
makes #3000 more than
Sam, how much is Musa
annual salary?
Thanks for helping.
Re: Not For The Weak Minds; Try This Quantitative Reasoning Question. by oluplus(m): 3:23pm On Aug 08, 2014
Timijo: Please help me with these questions:
1. You are given #67 and you
are asked to divide between
Peter, Musa and John such
that Peter will have #10
more than Musa and Musa
will have #18 more than John. 2. Musa donate 2% of his
annual salary to community
development in his locality
and Sam donate 1% of his
annual salary to the
community. The total donation of both Musa's and
Sam's is #24,000. If Musa
makes #3000 more than
Sam, how much is Musa
annual salary?
Thanks for helping.

QUESTION 1.
Peter gets #35, Musa gets #25 and John gets #7

QUESTION 2
Musa's salary is #801,000 while Sam's Salary = #798,000.

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: Eksu (unad & Usti) Cutoff Mark And Admission News! / Students Of NDU Complain Over Dirty Water Supplied To Hostels (Pics& Video) / All Girls Schools Make Nigerian Girls Promiscuous

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.