Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,733 members, 7,824,066 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? (10727 Views)

Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? / Pastor Chris And T.b Joshua Are Satanic. (pst Chris Is A White Demon) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by nmadi(f): 11:23am On Oct 10, 2008
Hi Nairaland, can a christian who has given his or her to Christ be possessed by a demon? please reply.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pastorjoe1: 8:11pm On Oct 10, 2008
Hi brother,
It is impossible because the persons life is dedicated to God right from the time He/She gives his/her life to God.
Pastor Jonathan
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by AKO1(m): 9:10pm On Oct 10, 2008
Yes it is possible.

When a person gets born again it is their spirit that gets born again, not their soul and body.

So the devil can still influence and/or dwell in their soul and body.

That is why 'born agains' still commit sins, even though
their lives are dedicated to God.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 9:17pm On Oct 10, 2008
@A_K_O,

A_K_O:

Yes it is possible.

When a person gets born again it is their spirit that gets born again, not their soul and body.

So the devil can still influence and/or dwell in their soul and body.

I'm just wondering: could you help us understand this issue a bit more - any cogent examples from the Bible?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by OBVIOUS(m): 10:18pm On Oct 10, 2008
This is what I don't understand. How can something take control of you, when you haven't given it permission to do so.

I think you have to give spirits permission to possess your body and they should NOT be able to possess it without permission.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by AKO1(m): 10:25pm On Oct 10, 2008
First, I'm not sure that a demon can actually be housed in a christian; because the same person's body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

This doesnt make their body immune to satanic attack such as sickness. The reason is that it is actually the spirit that houses the Holy Spirit which is housed in the body.

However, a christian can be demon-influenced. Examples, Judas betraying Jesus, Peter not wanting Jesus to be crucified.

OBVIOUS:

This is what I don't understand. How can something take control of you, when you haven't given it permission to do so.

I think you have to give spirits permission to possess your body and they should NOT be able to possess it without permission.
Correct.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 11:02pm On Oct 10, 2008
@A_K_O,

Okay, I see your point. While appreciating that we may all be trying to say the same thing with different terminologies and from various perspectives, it appears that some of our inputs may need to be well qualified so other readers do not mistake them for other matters.

A_K_O:

This doesnt make their body immune to satanic attack such as sickness. The reason is that it is actually the spirit that houses the Holy Spirit which is housed in the body.

Two things are presented to us here:

(1) First, I think it would be hard for anyone to find a case where a Christian was demon-possessed in the Bible. But let us understand the issues here:

the unregenerate person  --  demon-possession

the born again believer     --   demon-oppression
                                                  demon-depression

The difference between both is that possession can happen to the unregerate; while for the born-again, the attacks of diabolic powers is from the outside and not from the inside of that person.

Believers can be oppressed and harrassed mentally; as well as afflicted bodily; however, in the case of the unregenerate, the demons actually can take possession of them and hold them against their power, operating from inside as well as from outside them.

A_K_O:

However, a christian can be demon-influenced.

True - that's another way of putting it; and thats why I noted that we all might be saying the same thing in different ways.

A_K_O:

Examples, Judas betraying Jesus, Peter not wanting Jesus to be crucified.

I think Judas' own case was different, for he was never once in Scripture held to be a believer or born again. Why do I think so? Because none of the others were evaluated the way the Lord saw through his religious cover:

'Jesus answered them,
           Have not I chosen you twelve,
           and one of you is a devil?' [John 6:70]

He was, of course referring to Judas (verse 71).
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by Nimshi: 5:20am On Oct 26, 2008
First, I'm not sure that a demon can actually be housed in a christian; because the same person's body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

So how come Christians do sin? How could sin be visited on the Temple of the Holy Spirit?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by brownbonno(m): 11:44am On Oct 26, 2008
100% possible.What about all the witches in our churches ?
I cannot personally define who is a Christian until after the Judgement day.
A dedicated "Christian" a deacon in the church and a car dealer,whom i trusted so well becos of his faith sold my car since 2004 till date i have not got my money.Do i now say he is possessed ?
I don;t believe in any Nigerian man/woman or pastor to be a true Christian.They are fake and possessed.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 11:59am On Oct 26, 2008
brownbonno:

100% possible.What about all the witches in our churches ?

Do you have any reference that witches are born again Christians still possessed by demons?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by brownbonno(m): 12:09pm On Oct 26, 2008
pilgrim.1:

Do you have any reference that witches are born again Christians still possessed by demons?

Do you want me to say YES ?
so na my mouth u wo for hear say Rev Father get girlfriend ?Judgement day is my bus stop.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by MrCrackles(m): 12:11pm On Oct 26, 2008
oh yeah it is!!
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 12:13pm On Oct 26, 2008
brownbonno:

Do you want me to say YES ?
so na my mouth u wo for hear say Rev Father get girlfriend ?Judgement day is my bus stop.

I just asked a simple question. If your answer is a simple NO, I see your point and don't have to pay any heed to your previous post. Cheers.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by brownbonno(m): 12:26pm On Oct 26, 2008
pilgrim.1:

I just asked a simple question. If your answer is a simple NO, I see your point and don't have to pay any heed to your previous post. Cheers.

My dear its my opinion.
Why not ask yourself,with the amount of churches in every nooks and crannies of Nigeria,she is still the way it is.God is not wicked,why is the country still where she is?
Please answer that if you can ?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 12:40pm On Oct 26, 2008
brownbonno:

My dear its my opinion.
Why not ask yourself,with the amount of churches in every nooks and crannies of Nigeria,she is still the way it is.God is not wicked,why is the country still where she is?
Please answer that if you can ?

I didn't argue that was your opinion; but your opinions cannot be used to argue that Christians can be demon-possessed, and that was why I asked if you had any references for your claim. Secondly, even the situation of many churches does not establish what your opinion says - if it does, again please show me a direct reference. If people act the way they do, we know already that not everyone that claims to be following Christ is actually a Christian: but that does not mean we should assume what your opinion asserts.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by affee(f): 12:43pm On Oct 26, 2008
pilly pilly aw u dey?

U go church today so?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 12:48pm On Oct 26, 2008
affee:

pilly pilly aw u dey?

U go church today so?

My dear sis, I'm doing fine.
No, I didn't go to church today. . I'm hoping to do so later in the p.m. if and if the situation changes for me (I pray it does). undecided I'm standing in for someone who has pled with me to cover for her (she's been off for a while, and if she misses today, na sack dem go sack am). Tough situation, but I thought to acquisce and stand in for her.

How u dey? Hope you strong and feeling better from the last time? Bless. cheesy
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by affee(f): 1:06pm On Oct 26, 2008
Hale n hearty cool

Shalom smiley
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by brownbonno(m): 1:15pm On Oct 26, 2008
pilgrim.1:

I didn't argue that was your opinion; but your opinions cannot be used to argue that Christians can be demon-possessed, and that was why I asked if you had any references for your claim. Secondly, even the situation of many churches does not establish what your opinion says - if it does, again please show me a direct reference. If people act the way they do, we know already that not everyone that claims to be following Christ is actually a Christian: but that does not mean we should assume what your opinion asserts.
Ok lets use your opinion as a point of reference to pass judgement  lipsrsealed
I just stated how a deacon in the church swindled me of mine hard earned money,what further reference do you want .Until i mention the Name of  Rev Ayo making alter call for 20 people that can offer £2,000 or Pastor Chris saying- - - , What do take as a reference
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by Bastage: 2:06pm On Oct 26, 2008
"Can a Christian be demon possessed? No question polarizes the Christian community more than this one, and the tragedy is that there is no absolutely biblical way to answer it , the word translated as 'demon possession' never occurs in Scripture after the cross, so we are left with no theological precision as to what demonization would constitute in the Church Age" [Neil Anderson, Released From Bondage (San Bernardino, CA: Here's Life, 1991), pp. 15,16].
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by Gamine(f): 3:07pm On Oct 26, 2008
What is Demon-Possession?

undecided undecided
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 3:32pm On Oct 26, 2008
Bastage:

"Can a Christian be demon possessed? No question polarizes the Christian community more than this one, and the tragedy is that there is no absolutely biblical way to answer it , the word translated as 'demon possession' never occurs in Scripture after the cross, so we are left with no theological precision as to what demonization would constitute in the Church Age" [Neil Anderson, Released From Bondage (San Bernardino, CA: Here's Life, 1991), pp. 15,16].

I've enjoyed a few of Neil Anderson's books; but I don't think his statement is accurate that "No question polarizes the Christian community more than this one". There are other subjects that many Christians have been even more polarized than that one:

* gifts of the Spirit
* speaking in tongues
* tithes

. . and a few others where Christians continue to be quite polarized about.

Secondly, that "the word translated as 'demon possession' never occurs in Scripture after the cross" does not mean that 'there is no absolutely biblical way to answer it'. That is not true (IMHO). Let's see:

In the Gospels, narratives before the Cross speak about demon-possession, such as -

● Matt. 12:22 - 'Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil,
blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb
both spake and saw.'

The Greek word translated as 'possessed with a devil' is akin to our common expression of "demon-possession", and it is expressed in Greek as "δαιμονίζομαι" (daimonizomai). This Greek term describes in the Gospels events of what exactly one could deduce from the reaction and behaviour of their victims.

After the Cross, we find similar occurences -

● Acts 8:7 - "For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out
of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with
palsies, and that were lame, were healed"

● Acts 16:16 - "And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain
damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought
her masters much gain by soothsaying"

In these instances, the Greek word is εχω (echō), and from the reaction of their victims, it is not difficult to understand the context of possession there either. That the word "δαιμονίζομαι" does not occur after the Cross does not mean that one could not understand what it meant; and other terms used (as above) should easily show the meaning in context.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2008
brownbonno:

Ok lets use your opinion as a point of reference to pass judgement lipsrsealed
I just stated how a deacon in the church swindled me of mine hard earned money,what further reference do you want .Until i mention the Name of Rev Ayo making alter call for 20 people that can offer £2,000 or Pastor Chris saying- - - , What do take as a reference

How have you established the case of demon-possession there?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by brownbonno(m): 3:37pm On Oct 26, 2008
Define demon possession ?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 4:44pm On Oct 26, 2008
brownbonno:

Define demon possession ?

I already did.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by PastorAIO: 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2008
Gamine:

What is Demon-Possession?

undecided undecided

Magnificent question!! It has not been answered yet in my opinion.

If we are told that A demon was cast out of a man in so far as he stopped being deaf and dumb then it follows that the deaf and dumb affliction was a sign of possession. Yet if it was a deaf and dumb christian we can't say he is demon possession but demon afflicted. All this seems to be like conceptual juggling and maradona style theologising. I think the proper term is sophistry.

What is Demon possession?

I don't buy all that body housing the soul stuff. It sounds like nonsense to me, to be frank.

In many cases of demon possession the person in question doesn't really have recollection of events that happened during the possession. There are many other phenomena like this. For instance:
Epilepsy
or Delirium Tremens
Or Sleep walking/talking
and many others.

Actually I'm interested in knowing what people out there think is the real anatomy of the HUMAN BEING. By which I mean the total being, body soul spirit etc. What are their relative functions and how could it be possible for a foreign entity to then either 'possess' or 'afflict' such a Being?
Can these be explained as forms of Demon possession too?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by huxley(m): 7:00pm On Oct 26, 2008
What is the difference between mental illness and demon possession (or demon attack, demon oppression, demon depression)?

Can demon possession be cured or treated with chemical (pharmaceutical) therapy, cognitive behaviour therapy, etc?

There many many cases where Christian ministers, particularly Africans, have pronounced many children as being possessed of the devil. Such children have been subject to some pretty bad treatment at the hands of their Christian families and communities. What are the diagnostic test for determining demon possession? Could it be mis-diagnosed ?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by PastorAIO: 8:16pm On Oct 26, 2008
huxley:

There many many cases where Christian ministers, particularly Africans, have pronounced many children as being possessed of the devil. Such children have been subject to some pretty bad treatment at the hands of their Christian families and communities. What are the diagnostic test for determining demon possession? Could it be mis-diagnosed ?

The question I am left asking is that after these children have been diagnosed as demonic or witches, how comes the ministers of God with all the God given power that they claim to have don't then cast out the spirit and restore the children to normalcy. Sebi that is how Christ and the apostles did it in the bible. They never said there goes a demon possessed child drive him after from home or drive a nail into his head. They healed the afflicted. How comes today's men of God can't do this?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 8:31pm On Oct 26, 2008
@Pastor AIO,

Pastor AIO:

Magnificent question!! It has not been answered yet in my opinion.

If we are told that A demon was cast out of a man in so far as he stopped being deaf and dumb then it follows that the deaf and dumb affliction was a sign of possession. Yet if it was a deaf and dumb christian we can't say he is demon possession but demon afflicted. All this seems to be like conceptual juggling and maradona style theologising. I think the proper term is sophistry.

What is Demon possession?

I don't buy all that body housing the soul stuff. It sounds like nonsense to me, to be frank.

In many cases of demon possession the person in question doesn't really have recollection of events that happened during the possession. There are many other phenomena like this. For instance:
Epilepsy
or Delirium Tremens
Or Sleep walking/talking
and many others.

Have you answered the question yourself? How?
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by PastorAIO: 8:51pm On Oct 26, 2008
pilgrim.1:

@Pastor AIO,

Have you answered the question yourself? How?

I have ideas but nothing like a cast in iron definition. That is why I am interested in discussing it.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by pilgrim1(f): 9:02pm On Oct 26, 2008
Pastor AIO:

I have ideas but nothing like a cast in iron definition. That is why I am interested in discussing it.

Why don't you then share yours and let's see? I really don't understand how you could be referring to others' inputs as "conceptual juggling and maradona style theologising . . . sophistry" when you have not shared anything. Your views are welcome - and it would make more sense if you shared them before dismissing others' inputs.
Re: Can A Christian Be Demon-Possessed? by bawomolo(m): 2:45am On Oct 27, 2008
was the kongolese saint anthony(dona beatriz) possessed by a demon??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Call My Wife Baby..interview With Leke Adeboye And Wife / Salvation Ministries’ World’s Largest Church Auditorium Reaches Roofing Stage / "APC Running Nigeria As Muslim Organization, Marginalising Christians" - CAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.