Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness (3290 Views)

5 Personal Values That Would Bring You Happiness / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / If Your Partner Could Make More Money, Would You Stay Home With The Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by bigboyslim(m): 10:58am On Jul 16, 2014
What would you do in my predicament.

Here are the facts

1. I work and now make a decent salary(To the glory of God, not by might). Decent salary is a relative term but I make enough to live comfortably by the standards that I have set for myself

2. Wife does not work for reasons beyond our control. I won't go into details

3. My parents have been retired for a while

4. Wife's parents still working and making very decent money

5. We have a little baby

Now, I thought I would be happy making so much money but, I have found that I keep struggling with how much to spend on my family and how much to spend on parents. I know my parents want much more from me than I give and I can definitely give more than I give them now. I also want to give more to my parents but fear that wife would object. In 3 years of marriage, wife has never asked if I want to send money to my parents despite knowing that they are both retired. I find this weird and very unsettling. We keep a joint account. What percentage of ones income should go to supporting elderly parents and what percentage should go to your family upkeep?
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Blockus: 11:00am On Jul 16, 2014
bigboyslim: What would you do in my predicament.

Here are the facts

1. I work and now make a decent salary(To the glory of God, not by might). Decent salary is a relative term but I make enough to live comfortably by the standards that I have set for myself

5. We have a little baby

Now, I thought I would be happy making so much money but, I have found that I keep struggling with how much to spend on my family and how much to spend on parents. I know my parents want much more from me than I give and I can definitely give more than I give them now. I also want to give more to my parents but fear that wife would object. In 3 years of marriage, wife has never asked if I want to send money to my parents despite knowing that they are both retired. I find this weird and very unsettling. We keep a joint account. What percentage of ones income should go to supporting elderly parents and what percentage should go to your family upkeep?

How much is your salary after tax?
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by erisuena16(f): 11:13am On Jul 16, 2014
did i hear you say you keep joint account?dose your wife work?if no why joint account,anyway i don't know who the head of house is,if it's you then take your stand as a man.you don't have to seek your wife's opinion before sending money to your parents whether she care's or not,it is your duty to take care of your parents.

6 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Blockus: 11:54am On Jul 16, 2014
erisuena16: did i hear you say you keep joint account?dose your wife work?if no why joint account,anyway i don't know who the head of house is,if it's you then take your stand as a man.you don't have to seek your wife's opinion before sending money to your parents whether she care's or not,it is your duty to take care of your parents.

You lie.

You are a teenager under the age of 24.

You are not married.

You are not responsible for anyone even yourself.

You still live at home with your parents.

You dont have money.

Tell me any of these that I got wrong and if I didnt be honest and I will explain how I drew this conclusion from your post.

11 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 16, 2014
bigboyslim:
Dear you're worried over nothing!
There is no common fixed percentage of how much one should give to one's family.
It's your parents..... Its your money!
If you don't take adequate care of them,who will? Absolutely not your wife.!
You are yet to take a positive step; you're already scared of what ur wife may say to you?
Should I say you don't wanna give?
Wealth tend to multiply the more you give to others!
Leave your wife out of this and help your parents b4 they join their ancestors!
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by beeevan: 12:07pm On Jul 16, 2014
Blockus:

You lie.

You are not married.

You dont have money.

Tell me any of these that I got wrong and if I didnt be honest and I will explain how I drew this conclusion from your post.

God bless you for this post, lots of likes.

4 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by 4tunebest(f): 12:07pm On Jul 16, 2014
bigboyslim: I also want to give more to my parents but fear that wife would object.

This means only one thing:

she is the husband, and you, the wife. kiss

4 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by beeevan: 12:12pm On Jul 16, 2014
No good woman will object to you giving your parents money, tell her your plans and if she objects, then go ahead and do what you want to do.
Your spouse should not be in the dark.

10 to 15 % is good enough for elderly support in my
opinion. You have to start planning for your immediate family while caring for them as more kids are on the way.

2 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by baby124: 12:19pm On Jul 16, 2014
OP, more money brings more expenses. Believe it or not. Because with more money you live in a more expensive house, your bills go up, a more expensive car and so many other expenses you did not have when you were managing. You are working and your parents need money. Set aside money that you can comfortably give them and do that, without it affecting your lifestyle or your family. Am sure your parents also have other kids, they too should be doing their part. If you are the only child, try as much as possible to make them comfortable, and your wife will have to understand in that situation. Also explain to your parents to spend what you give them wisely as you are doing your best to make them comfortable.

2 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by feminineA: 12:46pm On Jul 16, 2014
The only issue I see here is COMMUNICATION. You bring in the chunk of the income which gives you the edge coupled with been the head of the home. All you guys need to do is sit down monthly and decide how inflows will be saved and spent. You are working on based on assumption.

Am sure you are not the only child so definitely your parents will be getting some things from your other sibling. even if you give them 1 million they will still ask for more because it means you have lots of money to be able to afford that However, don't go beyond your limit. I will advise don't give what you cant maintain monthly.
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 16, 2014
Make a plan and stick to it. Your happiness is in your hands. Set out a percentage of income for your folks, kids insurance, feeding, savings, bills etc. It requires planning. And. Make sure you don't exceed unless thereis a bonus coming elsewhere like your investment.

Always think of the future.

Learn to also give your self and family a treat to reduce the stress. Life is not all about work work work.
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by inuyasha01(m): 12:56pm On Jul 16, 2014
Why keep a joint acct when your wife is not working yet you are afraid of her reaction if you send money to your parents! Your PARENTS? Please grow a pair, and do whats right regarding your parents.

2 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Nnekacherry: 12:59pm On Jul 16, 2014
beeevan:

God bless you for this post, lots of likes.

Lol.. I was shocked when i read that post too.. Dont mind the little girl..

@Topic.. Op please take care of your parents.. Tell your wife what you intend to do, so that she will be aware..
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by beeevan: 1:03pm On Jul 16, 2014
Nnekacherry:

Lol.. I was shocked when i read that post too.. Dont mind the little girl..

@Topic.. Op please take care of your parents.. Tell your wife what you intend to do, so that she will be aware..

It's obvious she doesn't know how things work in a family structure.
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by beeevan: 1:04pm On Jul 16, 2014
Phema how have you been?
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by blank(f): 1:12pm On Jul 16, 2014
You have not even discussed with your wife and you are bringing it to Nairaland?

Why not call your wife, explain that your parents are retired and that you feel you should be giving xxxxx amount of money and ask for her opinion? Since her parents are still working, it might never have occurred to her that your parents need some regular upkeep. She might assume that they saved up some money from when they were working and have investments that should be bringing in some money.
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 16, 2014
beeevan: Phema how have you been?

Very well dear. Thanks for always checking up on me kiss smiley

How have you been too? And the cute lil ones?

1 Like

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 16, 2014
erisuena16: did i hear you say you keep joint account?dose your wife work?if no why joint account,anyway i don't know who the head of house is,if it's you then take your stand as a man.you don't have to seek your wife's opinion before sending money to your parents whether she care's or not,it is your duty to take care of your parents.
seconded

2 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Blockus: 3:58pm On Jul 16, 2014
[b]Mr. OP Sir,

Please answer the following question;

1. Who do you place as the highest priority in your life? Your Child(ren), Your Wife or your Parents.

2. Do you consider your wife to be a good wife. Using the following parameters to judge;

- Financial Prudence
- House Keeping
- Your Childs upbring/welfare
- Does she have your best interest at heart.
- Does she abuse her access to the family account.
- Does she care about your future?

3. Your retired parents, do they earn a pension?

4. Are you the only child of your parent that is responsible enough for their (your parents) upkeep?

5. DO you have any plans to better your position today and is your wife aware of this plan? And is this plan opening a business or getting a better employment?

6. Why do your parents need more money and are they aware of your responsibilities and your financial capacity?

7. Apart from your parents and immediate family, what other responsibilities do you carry?

8. Whats the relationship between your family and your wife like?

These would help get a clearer picture of you and your situation, in other for me to give you an objective answer that accounts for all these unknowns.
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by beeevan: 4:31pm On Jul 16, 2014
Phema:

Very well dear. Thanks for always checking up on me kiss smiley

How have you been too? And the cute lil ones?

Very good dear, thanks smiley
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by davno: 4:36pm On Jul 16, 2014
God abeg help me when dt time comes. U never can tell who u'll marry.
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Jackeeh(m): 11:57am On Jul 17, 2014

God bless u wella for this post. Some men ehn
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Genius100: 10:00pm On Jul 17, 2014
bigboyslim: What would you do in my predicament.

Here are the facts

5. We have a little baby

Have a separate account apart from the joint account, so you don't have to humiliate yourself by asking your wife if you can send money to your parents...
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by apolonius(m): 1:04am On Jul 18, 2014
The women who commented have impressed me. They have said all you need to know your duty to your parents from the money you solely earn. No wife can be an obstacle to reciprocating the love that nurtured and made you. It is enough that she knows that you are giving them money.

And it is a weird thing to note that an account is joint and she dictates what is spent even when she contributes nothing. Op,be a loving but real man.
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Goldenboy007(m): 2:34am On Jul 18, 2014

did i hear you say you keep joint account?dose your wife work?if no why joint account,anyway i don't know who the head of house is,if it's you then take your stand as a man.you don't have to seek your wife's opinion before sending money to your parents whether she care's or not,it is your duty to take care of your parents.

Blockus:

You lie.

You are not married.

You dont have money.

I disagree, she gave a fantastic contribution and it is called REALITY !!! This same mistake ruined many Nigerian men in the US. There are people that were madly in love today and one year after they were divorced ! The men lost all what they worked for because they made decisions based on sentiments rather than common sense!!! And tell me you ask your wife for permission before you give your parents money? I'm flabbergasted !!! I wonder if those parents did not bring you up well whether any woman would desire you! Set your priorities right man or else posterity will judge you!

1 Like

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by soulglo: 6:18am On Jul 18, 2014
Goldenboy007:

I disagree, she gave a fantastic contribution and it is called REALITY !!! This same mistake ruined many Nigerian men in the US. There are people that were madly in love today and one year after they were divorced ! The men lost all what they worked for because they made decisions based on sentiments rather than common sense!!! And tell me you ask your wife for permission before you give your parents money? I'm flabbergasted !!! I wonder if those parents did not bring you up well whether any woman would desire you! Set your priorities right man or else posterity will judge you!

And there are equally many Nigerian couples in the US who keep joint accounts and make joint financial decisions and end up planning a future that is clear to both involved in the relationship. The problem is that most Nigerians simply do not communicate well with each other. Married on paper but separate in everything else. The OPs problem has little to do with money or even his wife. It has everything to do with a lack of communication.
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Blockus: 6:43am On Jul 18, 2014
Goldenboy007:

[b]This your mother and father that mean the world to you, were they brother and sister that got married or did they also meet as boyfriend and girlfriend before getting married? If it's the latter, which I presume it is, why don't you treat your mother like an outsider and with the same level of disdain you people advocate he treats his wife? angry

You boys need to grow up and stop sucking on mummies glands. You see those parents, they will die long before you. When they die, guess who is still riding with you? Your wife.

That person I quoted has never held any real responsibility let alone a wife. The OP never accused his wife of financial malfeasance.

When your wife has no access to the family finances, when death blind sides you and takes you away, guess who suffers? Your children. Many women in Nigeria today are suffering because their husbands died leaving them in the dark about their family finances. I have a feeling the woman is simply looking our for the OPs immediate family interest and hat isn't such a bad thing. If his parents are demanding more money than they can afford to give, it's her place to tell him no. The whole idea of bread winning is so that your partner can take that bread and make it into a feast. You can't help the poor if you are also poor.

That's why I asked the OP a series of questions to better shed light on his situation. A joint account is something that should be encouraged. Like I once said to someone, of your wife knows that you only have 100 Naira, she would never come and ask you for 1000 Naira for anything.

Your wife should always taking a higher ranking order in your life than your mother. I say this because she is the closest person to you in the whole wife world and has your life in her palms. She sees you in your most vulnerable state daily, cooks the food you eat and serves the water you drink. How hard do you think it is for her to kill you?

Until you are old enough to see that you are no longer your mothers baby, then you are not old enough to be married to a wife. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by soulglo: 7:37am On Jul 18, 2014
Blockus:

[b]This your mother and father that mean the world to you, were they brother and sister that got married or did they also meet as boyfriend and girlfriend before getting married? If it's the latter, which I presume it is, why don't you treat your mother like an outsider and with the same level of disdain you people advocate he treats his wife? angry

You boys need to grow up and stop sucking on mummies glands. You see those parents, they will die long before you. When they die, guess who is still riding with you? Your wife.

That person I quoted has never held any real responsibility let alone a wife. The OP never accused his wife of financial malfeasance.

When your wife has no access to the family finances, when death blind sides you and takes you away, guess who suffers? Your children. Many women in Nigeria today are suffering because their husbands died leaving them in the dark about their family finances. I have a feeling the woman is simply looking our for the OPs immediate family interest and hat isn't such a bad thing. If his parents are demanding more money than they can afford to give, it's her place to tell him no. The whole idea of bread winning is so that your partner can take that bread and make it into a feast. You can't help the poor if you are also poor.

That's why I asked the OP a series of questions to better shed light on his situation. A joint account is something that should be encouraged. Like I once said to someone, of your wife knows that you only have 100 Naira, she would never come and ask you for 1000 Naira for anything.

Your wife should always taking a higher ranking order in your life than your mother. I say this because she is the closest person to you in the whole wife world and has your life in her palms. She sees you in your most vulnerable state daily, cooks the food you eat and serves the water you drink. How hard do you think it is for her to kill you?

Until you are old enough to see that you are no longer your mothers baby, then you are not old enough to be married to a wife. [/b]

PREACH IT!!!!!
Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by cococandy(f): 7:47am On Jul 18, 2014
I didn't see the OP say his wife objects to him sending money to his family only that she shows lack of interest.
It may be because she assumes you already do and no need to start asking you.

Or she thinks you don't care about her own parents hence her seeming disinterest in yours

Your joint account, does all your income go into it?
If not, then I can see why she thinks you're probably giving them on the side.

No reasonable woman will stand in the way of you helping your parents in their time of need especially when you can afford to. So find out through communication if she's really not interested in their welfare or if she thinks you have it sorted out by yourself.

Secondly don't ignore your parents in law because you think they already have enough. Since your wife doesn't work,I'm sure she may be longing to give them occasional gifts and treats but may not be able to as she has no money of her own. I know financial care should be given to those who need it more(your parents) but your parents-in-law are still part of your lives and do them good as often you can so that if there's any underlying feeling of resentment that making her not care about your parents,it will be done away with.
But all this can only be achieved through communication. Let her know that your not sending regular upkeep to her parents is not because they are not your parents but because they are doing fine by themselves and not so much in need of it.

your joint account thing? Just leave some personal money for yourself in a private account but every family needs a joint account.

1 Like

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Amhappy(f): 8:09am On Jul 18, 2014
@OP I dont see any problem here. I guess you and your wife do have discussion on finances so its easy. Discuss with your wife on your parents upkeep and decided what will be given to them monthly. Since her parents still earn something theirs should not be as regular. Apart from the joint account,you and wifey should open an account to save for projects and future. I dont understand why you are afraid of telling your wife your mind. If ur parents die God forbid ,will she stop you from paying for their burial. That she seem disinterested in their affairs doesnt mean she doesnt want you to take care of them. Even if she doesnt,that cannot stop you. As a man learn to strike the balance and do the right thing. Somebody somewhere may be seeing your wife as the reason why you are not taking care of your parents without knowing that she is innocent.

1 Like

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by apolonius(m): 9:54am On Jul 18, 2014
cococandy: I didn't see the OP say his wife objects to him sending money to his family only that she shows lack of interest.
It may be because she assumes you already do and no need to start asking you.

Or she thinks you don't care about her own parents hence her seeming disinterest in yours

Your joint account, does all your income go into it?
If not, then I can see why she thinks you're probably giving them on the side.

No reasonable woman will stand in the way of you helping your parents in their time of need especially when you can afford to. So find out through communication if she's really not interested in their welfare or if she thinks you have it sorted out by yourself.

Secondly don't ignore your parents in law because you think they already have enough. Since your wife doesn't work,I'm sure she may be longing to give them occasional gifts and treats but may not be able to as she has no money of her own. I know financial care should be given to those who need it more(your parents) but your parents-in-law are still part of your lives and do them good as often you can so that if there's any underlying feeling of resentment that making her not care about your parents,it will be done away with.
But all this can only be achieved through communication. Let her know that your not sending regular upkeep to her parents is not because they are not your parents but because they are doing fine by themselves and not so much in need of it.

your joint account thing? Just leave some personal money for yourself in a private account but every family needs a joint account.

Well said. Yes,his in-laws do need to be shown that care and love that manifests itself in financial and other gifts too,even if not regularly.

Thinking about it now,I agree there should be a family account;your point on a personal account for him is sound too.

1 Like

Re: I Thought Marriage And Money Would Bring Happiness by Goldenboy007(m): 1:47pm On Jul 18, 2014
Blockus:

Hmmmmm, I really wish life was the way you painted it. I really wish it always ends up "happily ever-after" like in story land. After God, the next gods you have are your parents..that's why a commandment was fashioned after them..i paraphrase - honour your father and mother so that your days shall be long..if your parents haunt your wife for your property after your death, it is because you neglected them while you were alive! Divorce is like a carryover course in school, nobody plans a carryover when you get into school but it happens, some your fault, some not your fault. A wise husband would prepare for two - What if - What if I die? What if this woman leaves me ? It is not pessimism rather its realism !
Give your wife and children their legacy while you are alive then they would be better off when you are dead! Joint account is like giving her fish rather than teaching her how to fish ! Who funds the joint account when you die?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Perfectly Good Husbands Are Being Abandoned / Married For Six Years Husband Hiv Positive Wife Negative Advise The Wife Pls / ***confirmed Home Made Preparation For Improving Seminal Fluid Quality!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.