Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,695 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? (742 Views)

Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding / Generators At The Electricity Transformer At Ajegunle In Lagos - Photos / Ways You Can Waste Money Without Realizing It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by chidibond(m): 10:22am On Jul 17, 2014
We leave lights on, electrical gadgets and have no idea on power conservation. We use filament bulbs that consume more with short life spans. Even in broad daylight, you see bright lights blaring, and most of these people don't even pay bills. Can't anything be done by the authorities?.... My 1kobo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by fijiano202(m): 10:33am On Jul 17, 2014
In some cases its really bad but u cant blame the people also,because of the hugemungous electricity bills they are forced to pay without any Meter Usage readings...imagine a guy that has 1 standing fan,a tv set with dvd player paying 1,500 per month...most Nigeria grew up with this no gain no pain mentality
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by Provie(m): 10:37am On Jul 17, 2014
This is a major issue in our society that people rarely bother about. It pisses me of each time I pass and see electric bulbs on during daytime: scattered everywhere as if the sun's light depends on it. Such wastage in a country where it is said that power production is less than inadequate!

Because the needed civilized orientation on power conservation is lacking in the vast majority of Nigerians, only a measure directly bearing upon the user's pocket can correct the anomaly. That measure is the use of Prepaid metering (pay as you use). Incidentally, the powers that be are either too dumb to understand, or too selfish to care.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by Provie(m): 10:39am On Jul 17, 2014
This is a major issue in ....... DPNI
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by ggrin(f): 10:42am On Jul 17, 2014
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 17, 2014
The prepaid meter is the perfect antidote to the waste you have rightly diagnosed.

I used to notice this waste of energy in my locality until the defunct PHCN replaced our metres with the prepaid version. We needed no soothsayer to tell us to replace our 100 watt halogen. Bulbs to 15W energy saving bulbs.

Some of my well to do neighbors even traded off their cathode ray TV sets ( hunch back ) for 75W - 100W flat screen LEDs.

Prepaid meters will surely cure us of this madness.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by chidibond(m): 10:58am On Jul 17, 2014
Most shops and petty traders are the more guilty of this wastage. Even enlightened folks fail to see the need to switch lights off in the daytime. We shouldn't need to have pre-paid meters to do this. I also think the production of these energy-consuming bulbs be banned in the country or highly taxed to discourage production.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by tempem: 11:03am On Jul 17, 2014
Provie: This is a major issue in our society that people rarely bother about. It pisses me of each time I pass and see electric bulbs on during daytime: scattered everywhere as if the sun's light depends on it. Such wastage in a country where it is said that power production is less than inadequate!

Because the needed civilized orientation on power conservation is lacking in the vast majority of Nigerians, only a measure directly bearing upon the Pocket can correct the anomaly. That measure is the use of Prepaid metering (pay as you use). Incidentally, the powers that be are either too dumb to understand, or too selfish to care.
Stop forming, bro. When did you have Nepa light last in your hood, and if you have, how long does it last? And if at all you're being favoured, those streets where you've seen electric bulbs on ask them, when last did they catch their glimpse of Nepa's
light? Imagine in a whole month nepa brings light for just 24hrs!! And tell me how do you want this peeps to care about their bulbs being switched on.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by chidibond(m): 11:19am On Jul 17, 2014
tempem:
Stop forming, bro. When did you have Nepa light last in your hood, and if you have, how long does it last? And if at all you're being favoured, those streets where you've seen electric bulbs on ask them, when last did they catch their glimpse of Nepa's
light? Imagine in a whole month nepa brings light for just 24hrs!! And tell me how do you want this peeps to care about their bulbs being switched on.
sir, this is not a debate about the availability of power or otherwise, just saying WHEN the power is available, we have a responsibility to manage it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by tempem: 11:21am On Jul 17, 2014
chidibond: sir, this is not a debate about the availability of power or otherwise, just saying WHEN the power is available, we have a responsibility to manage it.
Alright!! Ride on..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by Provie(m): 11:31am On Jul 17, 2014
tempem:

U are making a point but you dont have to be rude about it; don't transfer an aggression meant for NEPA to me - me to I'm not happy with dem.

Now to ur question; my area is one of those which do not have light for more than 2hours per day on the average. Many times we go for as long as 4dayz without electricity. The lame excuse is dat we have many cottage industries in the town. But the surrounding suburbs (3 towns at least) all have fairly regular supply of power: I am either visiting friends there, or just passing on regular basis given the nature of my job. It is in those places that I alwayz see electric bulbs shinning everywhere during daytime as I lamented. My thought is that if they avoid their "wastages", perhaps our own situation would not be as bad as it is.

So bro, u dont have to be aggressive; I have my point.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by tempem: 11:41am On Jul 17, 2014
Provie:

U are making a point but you dont have to be rude about it; don't transfer an aggression meant for NEPA to me - me to I'm not happy with dem.

Now to ur question; my area is one of those which do not have light for more than 2hours per day on the average. Many times we go for as long as 4dayz without electricity. The lame excuse is dat we have many cottage industries in the town. But the surrounding suburbs (3 towns at least) all have much higher supply of power: I am either visiting friends there or just passing, on regular basis given the nature of my job. It is in those places that I alwayz see electric bulbs shinning everywhere during daytime as I lamented. My thought is that if they avoid their "wastages", perhaps our own situation would not be as bad as it is.

So bro, u dont have to be aggressive; I have my point.
Deeply sorry!
Now I can understand you clearly with these explanations
A nice day ahead.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by Provie(m): 11:41am On Jul 17, 2014
chidibond: sir, this is not a debate about the availability of power or otherwise, just saying WHEN the power is available, we have a responsibility to manage it.

God bless u bro.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by Provie(m): 11:45am On Jul 17, 2014
tempem:
Deeply sorry!
Now I can understand you clearly with these explanations
A nice day ahead.

No hard feelings bro. Hav a great day too.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Waste Electricity? by Pato5(m): 2:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
y will I border to manage my electricity when even if I don't use any gadget, I still receive alarming bills monthly.
I'm not kidding, since the last four months my household (just a flat) electricity bill increased from regular #4500 to #20000. when I complained I was told its due to the privatised power sector.
I don't have meter. phcn stopped distributing the prepaid meters years back in my area.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Why Sambisa Forest Could Not Be Destroyed With Grade One Bombing / Kogi State Teachers Salary Unpaid... / Surprise Vs Wonder A Man Without Hands Do Carpentry Works (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.