Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,749 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding (34935 Views)

LASG CCTV Van Stuck On Electricity Cables At Abule Egba (photos) / ... / Wire Abandoned By Electricity Workers Electrocutes 15-year-old Pupil (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 11:11am On Jan 31, 2015
Defined below are Engineering terms for comprehensive and professional digestion;

-Operator: The qualified man (Engineer) that closes and opens feeders in a Control
Room.
- Injection Substation: A structure or building from which Control Room is created.
- Control Room: The room housing the Feeders and the Operator.
-Feeder: Electricity source of the Substation (Transformer) on your street from the
Control Room.
-Substation: Transformer on your street.
-Line: The path (Wire) along which Electricity travels from the feeder to your
Substation (Transformer).
-Relay: A part of the feeder that serves as eyes. It gives/shows reason(s) of trip
when there is/are fault(s).
-Trip: Feeder opening due to normal or abnormal situation as a result of either external
or internet fault(s)
- Power Transformer: This is the transformer at the Injection Substation from which
Feeders feeding Transformers (Substations) receive supply.
-Opening: Switching on
-Closing: Switching off
-Load shedding: Sharing of Electricity among consumers on 2 or more Feeders with a
common Power Transformer.
-Local load shedding: Sharing of Electricity among consumers on 1 Feeder.

Please, you should know that no Operator derives pleasure in Closing and Opening of Feeder. Operators do not have time and supposed energy for that. So, stop cursing and abusing when your light keeps going on and off within minutes. The Operator is only making effort you have light.

Besides, it is against the code of conduct of an Operator to close a Feeder after tripping if he hasn't informed the linesmen to patrol and locate area of fault and make amend.

Constant operation of Feeder is said to wear out the spring thereby resulting to replacing or repairing or managing (this also takes efforts in operating).

Here are few main reasons why you might not have been having light.

1. Load Shedding And Local Load Shedding:
(Note: Among reasons, this is the most important you need to understand clearly. I'm going to take my time explaining this)

Load Shedding (L/S) happens when power needs to be shared among consumers on a Building, Street, Neigbourhood, Local Government, State or Country as the case may be in order to relief the related Transformer from overloading. We can simply call Load Shedding “Damage Control” operation.

Case study:
An Injection Substation (Control Room) with Power Transformer of 15MVA has 4 Feeders. Namely;

Feeder 1 (Lagos)
Feeder (Anambra)
Feeder (Kano)
Feeder (Ogun)

-Lagos has 10 Substations (Transformers) with total sum capacity of 12MVA. And let's assume Lagos consume about 8MVA on full load (i.e. Lagos consumes less than the Transformers’ summed capacity)

-Anambra has 15 Substations (Transformers) with the total sum capacity of 17MVA. And let's assume Anambra consumes about 17MVA on full load (i.e. Anambra consumes equal to the Transformers’ summed capacity)

-Kano has 25 Substations (Transformers) with the total sum capacity of 5MVA. Let’s assume Kano consumes 5MVA on full load (i.e. Kano consumes equal to the Transformers’ summed capacity)

-Ogun has 7 Substations (Transformers) with the total sum capacity of 7MVA. While Ogun consumes only 1MVA on full load (i.e. Ogun consumes far less than Transformers’ summed capacity)

N.B: A transformer shouldn't be operated on 100%, but 75% capacity as factor of longevity.
But, let's assume all Transformers here work on 100% full load capacity.

Summary:
-Injection S/station Power Transformer: 15MVA
-Lagos: 12MVA (Consumes 8MVA)
-Anambra: 17MVA (Consumes 17MVA)
-Kano: 5MVA (Consumes 5MVA)
-Ogun: 7MVA (Consumes 1MVA)

Note: The sum of total consumption by States must not exceed 15MVA of the Injection Sub-station’s Transformer to avoid damage or tripping as a result of Over-load.

Since Anambra (17MVA) consumes more than Injection Substation Power Transformer of 15MVA, then LOCAL LOAD SHEDDING is going to be employed on the Feeder to avoid damage or trip on the Injection Substation Power Transformer due to over-load. At this point, some Substations (transformers) will be out of service.

This is a major reason you see some parts of your neighbourhood having light when you have not, and vice versa

This method is also applicable in Area that consumes more than the summed substations (transformers) supplying the Area.

A case study of an Area consuming 20MVA when the summed capacity of the substations (transformers) supplying the Area is 10MVA. This means that at least 10MVA load must be dropped so as to balance the grid so as to avoid damage of substations (transformers)

These are possibilities of operations on per day schedule;
(Giving out 15MVA)

After Anambra has been Locally load-shedded to 10MVA.
-Lagos (8MVA) + Ogun (5MVA) + Kano (1MVA) = 14MVA
-Anambra (10MVA) + Kano (5MVA) = 15MVA

Days Of Enjoyment On Each Feeder.
-Lagos: 3-4 days a week
-Anambra: 3-4 days a week, while local load-shedding goes on. It means some parts will have supply for 2-3 days a week.
-Ogun: 3-4 days a week
-Kano: 7 days a week

Note: Kano enjoys more supply because it has the lowest consumption rate, as Anambra suffers more as a result of Load Shedding and Local Load Shedding it suffers from.

2. Bypassing:
Like the happenings in some states, some Distribution Companies have decided to stop giving constant power supply due to shortage of revenue. Customers bypassing Pre-paid meter. Hence, consume more than they pay for.

What is the essence of the Company paying much when profit is not maximized.....they are still looking into the matter.

Note: Distribution Company pays Transmission Company (TCN), and Transmission Company (TCN) pays Generation Company.

3. System collapse:
This could be as a result of fault from Injection Substation or from TCN Station or from Generation Station (e.g. Shiroro)

4. Devil-May-Care Attitude:
Carelessness over the state of supply in your environment by not reporting to a nearby office if supply deteriorates. The efficiency and togetherness of the landlords and landladies go a longer way in this regard.

5. Damage:
Cases of Earth Fault, Over Current, Line-cut, dropped J&P, damaged fuse, damaged transformer, and the likes which could be due to vandalism, weather factor, etc

6. Unit Exhaustion:
Running out of Unit without knowing

7. Disconnection:
Termination of service cable as to non-remittance of bill.

8. Violence:
Fighting the officials on patrol, especially those conducting disconnection and. This could lead to black-out punishment.

You are free to add yours and ask questions.
http://johnomolaolu..com/2015/01/reasons-you-might-not-be-having.html

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ejikeme(m): 11:38am On Jan 31, 2015
nice write up..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by johnwizey: 12:06pm On Jan 31, 2015
D only reason is the billions allocated for power is been embezzled by dat clueless individual and his cohorts.

Come FEBUHARI 14, we tell dem to start packing dere loads

Sai Buhari

91 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 31, 2015
johnwizey:
D only reason...
Must you derail this thread with your childish political rants. The so called clueless individual is much more successful than you, older than you, has achieved only what a few has achieved, and what millions dream of achieving.
Grow up and stop being silly and childish.

86 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by johnwizey: 12:51pm On Jan 31, 2015
lomomike:

Must you derail this thread with your childish political rants
Bros if e dey pain u, why not try gammalin 20

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 31, 2015
johnwizey:
Bros if e dey pain u, why not try gammalin 20

Whatever toddler, you're needed at home, go grind pepper for your lunch. Now run along!

62 Likes

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ALAYORMII: 1:07pm On Jan 31, 2015
Electricity borku for my area
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Caracta(f): 2:09pm On Jan 31, 2015
What about countries with stable power supply?

Do they have magical transformers?

Nice and interesting write-up.

Errrrm...I've always wondered why we do not get power supply whenever there is an interesting football match.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by hahn(m): 2:17pm On Jan 31, 2015
What I want to know is why I have to pay for a service that is not rendered. Nepa have NEVER come to read the meter in my house but they always seem to bring the same bill every month regardless of the amount of power supplied. I believe that since they have been privatised we deserve more customer care service than we are getting

13 Likes

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by anukulapo: 2:49pm On Feb 01, 2015
My own na say "is it possible for Nigeria to overcome this power issue?"

Considering the technical and political factors. Remember the "cabal" that live on the system that sustains these problems.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 11:44pm On Feb 01, 2015
ejikeme:
nice write up..

Thank you
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 11:47pm On Feb 01, 2015
johnwizey:
D only reason is the billions allocated for power is been embezzled by dat clueless individual and his cohorts.

[s]Come FEBUHARI 14, we tell dem to start packing dere loads

Sai Buhari[/s]

I am talking about Distribution of today, not Transmission.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 12:01am On Feb 02, 2015
Caracta:
What about countries with stable power supply?

We must say these other countries have sound working system.
Most of them explore and exploit other sources of energy.

Caracta:

Do they have magical transformers?

Lolz. Magical transformers in the sense of importing new, tested and confirmed, but refurbished transformers.
A senator brought in hundreds of transformers into the country about 4-5 years ago.
Only about 15% passed.

Caracta:

Nice and interesting write-up.

Thanks dearie.

Caracta:

Errrrm...I've always wondered why we do not get power supply whenever there is an interesting football match.

Some Operators make use of the moment to make money. YES!
They can open you area to open another area after being paid. wink
You can always observe and report such a case to appropriate bodies.

And sometimes, an Oga at the top might wanna watch the same match.

1 Like

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 12:21am On Feb 02, 2015
hahn:
What I want to know is why I have to pay for a service that is not rendered. Nepa have NEVER come to read the meter in my house but they always seem to bring the same bill every month regardless of the amount of power supplied. I believe that since they have been privatised we deserve more customer care service than we are getting

Thanks for stating this observation.

Can I say customers have been and still the cause of this decadence.
Customers don't mind paying a said staff 5,000 to reduce debt of about 60,000 to 6,000.
What will the customer do when the said staff comes with another irregular procedure.he t
He who pays the piper dictates the tune. Some customers are suffering in silence.

I will say we customers are the cause of the happenings, thus some said staff capitalizing on.
Marketers in Nepa, Distribution Companies are another story for another day.

Some customers are not confident enough to report due to anomalies in dealings with some corrupt staff.

Best option is get the yoke of thy neck, and report to the main office.

What is your location Sir?

4 Likes

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by hahn(m): 12:31am On Feb 02, 2015
ayobase:

Thanks for stating this observation.

Can I say customers have been and still the cause of this decadence.
Customers don't mind paying a said staff 5,000 to reduce debt of about 60,000 to 6,000.
What will the customer do when the said staff comes with another irregular procedure.he t
He who pays the piper dictates the tune. Some customers are suffering in silence.

I will say we customers are the cause of the happenings, thus some said staff capitalizing on.
Marketers in Nepa, Distribution Companies are another story for another day.

Some customers are not confident enough to report due to anomalies in dealings with some corrupt staff.

Best option is get the yoke of thy neck, and report to the main office.

What is your location Sir?

I reside in Likosi, Sagamu, Ogun state.

I totally with your comment. Nigerians are the first to ask for a short cut and complain when we don't get what we deserve.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 12:31am On Feb 02, 2015
anukulapo:
My own na say "is it possible for Nigeria to overcome this power issue?"

Considering the technical and political factors. Remember the "cabal" that live on the system that sustains these problems.

Nigeria can overcome this power issue if you and I will start doing the right things.

- Cut any fraudulent act with corrupt staff.
- Get them reported at the main office with crucifying evidence.
- Purchase a meter and get it registered under your name.
- Always ask for your monthly bill when not given.
- Never pay any marketer or any staff (especially linesmen)
- Report any irregularities to the main regional or headquarters office.
- I will advise you have a lawyer. Always be on the alert to ascertain any sort of cheat-game.
- Shun every form of bypassing and cheating.

with these points and some others, 'cabal' will be dealt with and subdued to a reasonable and bearing level.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 12:39am On Feb 02, 2015
hahn:

I reside in Likosi, Sagamu, Ogun state.

I totally with your comment. Nigerians are the first to ask for a short cut and complain when we don't get what we deserve.

I can't say much about Ogun State. But I wanna believe you are under IBEDC.

Nigerians are the cause my brother.
A case of paying Peter via robbing Paul.
I must balance the account by robbing some other customers after helping Mr. A to reduce a bill of 60K to 6K.

I might need to spread a bill of 54K on other customers to balance up.
It is that simple and simple.

We need to stand up against corruption.
Corruption is not only about stealing, but not doing what is right.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by hahn(m): 12:46am On Feb 02, 2015
ayobase:

I can't say much about Ogun State. But I wanna believe you are under IBEDC.

Nigerians are the cause my brother.
A case of paying Peter via robbing Paul.
I must balance the account by robbing some other customers after helping Mr. A to reduce a bill of 60K to 6K.

I might need to spread a bill of 54K on other customers to balance up.
It is that simple and simple.

We need to stand up against corruption.
Corruption is not only about stealing, but not doing what is right.

Nigerians cannot stand up against corrupt because we are corrupt ourselves and we seem to have found our comfort zone in corruption.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by prof800(m): 1:57am On Feb 02, 2015
Wow..!
eye-opening.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Nobody: 6:39am On Feb 02, 2015
undecided
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by omenka(m): 6:39am On Feb 02, 2015
Dem don come again! grin
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by EverestdeBliu(m): 6:39am On Feb 02, 2015
...Just bought diz space. Pls look elsewhere if u're in need of a space.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by 234Forum: 6:40am On Feb 02, 2015
DailyTimes:
NEWSPAPERS' HEADLINES ON MONDAY FEBRUARY 16TH, 2015.

"Jega declares Gen. Buhari elected with 26.4 million votes"PDP rejects result" - VANGUARD.

"Gen. Buhari declared winner!". "This is the worst election in Nigeria's history" Doyin Okupe ) - PUNCH.

"APC in a historic victory!". "Ayo Fayose flees to Ghana begs for forgiveness". - PM NEWS.

"This is the most rigged election in the world, Jega must be arrested and imprisoned immediately. We are heading
to court" (Gov. Jang) - THE NATION.

"South South boils as INEC declares Gen. Buhari winner. Edwin Clark urges restraints and peace" - DAILY INDEPENDENT.

"APC wins Aso Rock again, 70 senate seats and 65% of Reps. We are studying the results (Gov. Akpabio)" - SUN
NEWSPAPER.

"How Jega rigged the polls for Gen. Buhari ." - SAHARA REPORTERS.
...See More

Hit Like For GMB!

DailyTimes:

MUST READ: How PDP is Mistakenly Making General Buhari the President

Hit Like For GMB!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by TRADELYN: 6:41am On Feb 02, 2015
shocked
To read later.

*Bookmarked!
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 02, 2015
my own be say e get witches wey dey fly over our power stations, this same witches dey in position of government, sabotuas etc. cause we have all it takes to have constant power supply.

1 Like

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by alaoeri: 6:41am On Feb 02, 2015
Always finding excuses for their failure, make una no worry, the CHANGE is here.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Henrypraise: 6:42am On Feb 02, 2015
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by smartdaction: 6:42am On Feb 02, 2015
febuhari 14th is d answer

1 Like

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by jude33084(m): 6:43am On Feb 02, 2015
angry
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by yurme(m): 6:44am On Feb 02, 2015
Anyway "up NepaAaaaa"
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Nobody: 6:45am On Feb 02, 2015
-Opening: Switching on
-Closing: Switching off
-Load shedding: Sharing of Electricity among consumers on 2 or more Feeders with a
common Power Transformer.
-Local load shedding: Sharing of Electricity among consumers on 1 Feeder.

Good job Sir but I think there is a mix up in the definition given for Opening and Closing a feeder.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

OJUGBO GODSTIME OMONEKA's Lost Wallet Found In Oshodi / What Is The Craziest Rumour You Have Heard About Yourself? / Two Electrocuted Trying To Save Others (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.