Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island (2804 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Wife At Amaechi's Book Launch (photos) / What Do You Think About The Book: The 48 Laws Of Power By Robert Greene / Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 11:10am On Jul 18, 2014
UPDATE: This event has been canceled as most of my invited guests are out of Nigeria for vacation being summer period.

However, my team will go ahead to hit the market/bookshop same week. So you can order by sending email to info@jarushub.com or SMS to 08061198625 or 0703621640

THE ROAD TO VICTORIA ISLAND: A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO CLIMBING CAREER LADDER IN CORPORATE NIGERIA

The 240-page book is a collection of my essays and case studies on careers in Nigeria and beyond. It documents my thoughts and experiences on critical career issues.

Nairalanders are specially invited because I actually dedicated the book to "Nairalanders for trusting my judgment on various issues, especially career" . It was on Nairaland that I realized this potential and got the inspiration.

DATE: Saturday, August 2nd, 2014

TIME: 9.00am - 1pm

VENUE: Citilodge Hotel, Lekki, Lagos. [Description: Opposite Zenith Bank/Ecobank, Elf Bus Stop, after 2nd roundabout, Lekki-Ajah expressway)

CHAIRMAN
Mr. Tunde Fagbenle
Veteran columnist, Sunday Punch

CO-CHAIR
Mr. Femi Awoyemi, PhD, FCA
CEO, Proshare Nigeria

SPECIAL GUESTS
Mr. Niyi Yusuf,
CEO, Accenture Nigeria

Mr. Opeyemi Agbaje,

Editorial Board Member, BUSINESSDAY

Mr. Taiwo Oyedele, FCA
Partner, PwC Nigeria

Mr. Chude Jideonwo
Managing Partner, RedmediaAfrica

Mr. Akeem Oyewale, FCA

Director, Equities Brokerage, Standard Bank Group

Mr. Mohammed Garuba
Executive Director, Cardinal Stone Partners Limited

....and other special guests

GOODWILL MESSAGES FROM (those who will be unavoidably absent due to commitments outside Nigeria on same day, but sending in their message to be presented at the event):

Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi
Former Presidential Spokesman

Professor Pius Adesanmi,
Canada-based public intellectual

Kindly confirm your intention to attend by sending an email to info@jarushub.com or SMS to 07036216408 for our planning purpose.

Jarus

NB: This is a printed book, which is an extended version of the ebook I wrote in December last year.

http://www.jarushub.com/book-launch-the-road-to-victoria-island/

7 Likes

Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by LaurelP(m): 11:15am On Jul 18, 2014
Will there be some free copies?
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by hayoakins(m): 12:06pm On Jul 18, 2014
Congrats brov!

You achieved within 6years what had taken some a lifetime.

1 Like

Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by UjSizzle(f): 12:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
If it's print then it's good.
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by abdulslutsky(m): 12:36pm On Jul 18, 2014
Congratulations bro, may it be a success ijn. Keep my copy for me.

Cheers.
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by nitrogen(m): 12:38pm On Jul 18, 2014
Nicey!
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by maclatunji: 12:42pm On Jul 18, 2014
I would like to come but I am lazy. Godwilling I will be there... Jarus is worth the trouble and we should support people doing positive things even when we are lazy. tongue

1 Like

Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by maclatunji: 12:45pm On Jul 18, 2014
Description of venue or does the book launcher think we all know the place? Some of us cannot swim and do not live on the Island or a peninsula. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 1:10pm On Jul 18, 2014
LaurelP: Will there be some free copies?

no sir, because the publisher did
not do it for.free and.the hotel venue did not come free.too

1 Like

Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 1:11pm On Jul 18, 2014
maclatunji: Description of venue or does the book launcher think we all know the place? Some of us cannot swim and do not live on the Island or a peninsula. tongue tongue tongue

full description later sir
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by jazinogold(m): 1:11pm On Jul 18, 2014
would like to be there!
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by maclatunji: 1:12pm On Jul 18, 2014
Jarus:

no sir, because the publisher did
not do it for.free and.the hotel venue did not come free.too

#Chai

These free copies you are not sharing...there is God O. grin grin grin
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by maclatunji: 1:13pm On Jul 18, 2014
Jarus:

full description later sir

I trust.
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Tgirl4real(f): 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2014
maclatunji: I would like to come but I am lazy. Godwilling I will be there... Jarus is worth the trouble and we should support people doing positive things even when we are lazy. tongue

You been sounding like Seun lately. tongue
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 7:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
Guys
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by onegig(m): 8:06pm On Jul 18, 2014
If I may ask-Why the choice of the title?

I don't remember the island to be synonymous with anything careerwise. Not like the Wall street of Nigeria or something close.

Just wondering. Care to share any insights to that?

Congrats.
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by firestar(f): 9:08pm On Jul 18, 2014
Well, congratulations Jarus.
Keep us posted. cool
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Victosin09(f): 9:27pm On Jul 18, 2014
Congratulations Jarus. Thats really good to hear. I hope to be there...

*Please reply my pm*
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 11:49am On Jul 19, 2014
onegig: If I may ask-Why the choice of the title?

I don't remember the island to be synonymous with anything careerwise. Not like the Wall street of Nigeria or something close.

Just wondering. Care to share any insights to that?

Congrats.

I don't think there is conflict of opinion on Victoria Island as the corporate capital of Nigeria. It used to be Marina from 70s to early 90s. Today, any company that doesn't have their Head Office in Victoria Island, is, for want of nicer word, not rated. Even those that have their Head Offices in Abuja, like old Oceanic Bank, have towering offices in VI. I think it is fair enough to use VI as a metaphor for 9-5 job in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by maclatunji: 10:54pm On Jul 19, 2014
Tgirl4real:

You been sounding like Seun lately. tongue

We are both interested in the Internet. The "we" there is a general one though. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 8:49pm On Jul 20, 2014
Victosin09: Congratulations Jarus. Thats really good to hear. I hope to be there...

*Please reply my pm*

I cant access the email my PM goes to again.

Email me via info at jarushub dot com
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 25, 2014
hmm ok.. I should try to b there..

how much 'll d book cost(though have read d pdf copy)?

And hope no entrance fee??
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 5:27pm On Jul 25, 2014
ueskman: hmm ok.. I should try to b there..

how much 'll d book cost(though have read d pdf copy)?

And hope no entrance fee??

Entrance is definitely free.
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 5:30pm On Jul 25, 2014
maclatunji: Description of venue or does the book launcher think we all know the place? Some of us cannot swim and do not live on the Island or a peninsula. tongue tongue tongue

Citilodge Hotel, Lekki, Lagos. [Description: Opposite Zenith Bank/Ecobank, Elf Bus Stop, after 2nd roundabout, Lekki-Ajah expressway)
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 25, 2014
Jarus:

Entrance is definitely free.

how much 'll d book cost??
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 8:09am On Jul 27, 2014
ueskman:

how much 'll d book cost??

It's N2000, but it is not compulsory for attendees to buy. This is just a ceremony.
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by PapaBrowne(m): 8:25am On Jul 27, 2014
Big congrats man. Wish your book extraordinary success.
Can't attend but wouldn't mind supporting its success by buy a couple of copies. Where can we assess it?
Once again congrats. I love to see positive progress.
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 8:35am On Jul 27, 2014
PapaBrowne: Big congrats man. Wish your book extraordinary success.
Can't attend but wouldn't mind supporting its success by buy a couple of copies. Where can we assess it?
Once again congrats. I love to see positive progress.

Thanks bro. It is because of long time friends from politics section like you that I placed invitation ad on Politics section.

Shoot me an email at info@jarushub.com for ordering process.
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 8:38am On Jul 27, 2014
Excerpts from the book:

DEDICATION

I dedicate this book to the over one million fans of Jarus (my online moniker) in the Nigeria’s cut of the Social Media space – from Facebook to Nairaland to JarusHub – for trusting my judgment on various issues, especially career.

Acknowledgements

Although I had always had the intention of documenting my thoughts and experiences on career and related matters, it was the advice of Mr. Tope Fasua, in his book, Things To Do Before Your Career Disappears, in which he emphasized the need to write, that activated the idea. I must also thank my friends, from university days to the various places I have worked, interactions with whom partly shaped some of the ideas and reflections shared in this book. Sola Fagorusi took his time to go through this book and offered his thoughts, calling my attention to areas that needed improvement. Also did Obafemi Bamidele. I thank them both.

My passionate followers, the hundreds of thousands of them from Nairaland to JarusHub, also deserve mentioning for trusting my judgment and availing me a pool of case studies from their personal experiences. Jide Ogunsanya of Ogbongeblog, also provided helpful insights as I set out to organize my thoughts into this book.

The four Nigerian Executives I used as case studies in this work deserve thanking. I sat down with two of them and communicated with the two others via other means as I prepared materials for this book. I am grateful to them all.

I cannot forget the efforts of my partners at Goldman Jarus (Career Services) Limited, Jacob Ajayi and Okpanachi Adaji. When I decided to give a corporate face to JarusHub, they shared the vision with me and that birthed GJL.
Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 8:41am On Jul 27, 2014
CHAPTERS

Part 1: Education – The Underrated Beginning
of the Journey

Part 2: Job Search – The Bumpy Bridge on
the Road to Victoria Island

Part 3: Career – Practical Dilemmas

Part 4: Career – Oil & Gas

Part 5: Career – Investment Banking

Part 6: Workplace Issues – Welcome
to Victoria Island

Part 7: Networking & Relationship
Management

Part 8: Case Studies – Some Nigerian
Executives and Their Journey to Victoria
Island

Part 9: Mentorship & Management

Part 10: Entrepreneurship

Part 11: Thoughts on Some Career Issues
in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Jarus(m): 8:43am On Jul 27, 2014
Preface

“A candle loses nothing by lighting another” – James Keller

The above quote aptly summarizes my disposition to life, and people who have related closely with me, first offline before the popularization of the Internet, and both online and offline today, would readily attest to this. In my secondary school days at Offa Grammar School, Offa, Kwara state, Nigeria, my classmates would testify to my penchant for going extra mile to teach the academically less talented ones among us. Those were my early teenage years. I was happy to see that some of these friends made credit passes in as much as seven subjects in our WASSCE in 2000 – an examination I finished as second best candidate in the school with eight distinctions in nine subjects.

Being a natural part of me, it took no time for me to continue same in my undergraduate years at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, where I took tutorials, pro bono, for students from my year two till I graduated, sometimes sacrificing my study times to ensure those juniors – and some mates – were well prepared for their mathematics, sociology, macro- and micro-economics, philosophy and other general subjects offered by year one students in the department and faculty at large. I also always went extra mile to mentor these naïve fresh students on how to succeed academically in the ultra-competitive Ife. True to the quote up there, this sacrifice did not stop me from graduating with a very good grade, and as many as five of my students and mentees also graduated with same grade in subsequent sets and are doing well today. My coaching them did not stop me from making mine. A candle does not dim by lighting another.

When Internet came of age and attention shifted to it, I found myself giving free career and educational tips online, on the career and education sections of Nairaland.com, the largest Nigerian website, and subconsciously built a reputation that was enough to earn me authority status on the subjects. I was only following my passion to see other people excel, and never even knew some people out there were watching and recognizing my efforts. I would later take a step further to float my own career portal, JarusHub.com, in March 2013, to continue what I have always been doing: lighting other candles. To God be the glory, as you would read in some of the testimonials in this book, not a few people have had their lives turned around due to my activities.

The encouraging feedback motivated me to put together this compendium of such essays that have had great impacts in the lives of many Nigerians.

Suraj Oyewale
Lagos, Nigeria
June 2014

1 Like

Re: Invitation To The Launch Of My Book - The Road To Victoria Island by Odunharry(m): 8:57am On Jul 27, 2014
Jarus: CHAPTERS

Part 1: Education – The Underrated Beginning
of the Journey

Part 2: Job Search – The Bumpy Bridge on
the Road to Victoria Island

Part 3: Career – Practical Dilemmas

Part 4: Career – Oil & Gas

Part 5: Career – Investment Banking

Part 6: Workplace Issues – Welcome
to Victoria Island

Part 7: Networking & Relationship
Management

Part 8: Case Studies – Some Nigerian
Executives and Their Journey to Victoria
Island

Part 9: Mentorship & Management

Part 10: Entrepreneurship

Part 11: Thoughts on Some Career Issues
in Nigeria

this book go make sense...
Happy sallah

i go knw wetin happen if this thread no enter frontpage

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saddest Books Read? / Story Of A Cancer Survivor (pictures) / Sex And Fasting. A Short Story!!!...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.