Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young (913 Views)

Woman With HIV Abandoned In Ibadan And Left To Die (Photos) / Women Who Sleep More Also Have More Sex, A New Study Finds / Nano-particles & Bee Venom Can Kill HIV – New Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young by Aphrodite4(f): 11:13am On Jul 18, 2014
A newly released study shows that regular drinkers are less likely to die prematurely than people who have never indulged in alcohol. You read that right: Time reports that abstaining from alcohol altogether can lead to a shorter life than consistent, moderate drinking. Surprised? The tightly controlled study, which looked at individuals between ages 55 and 65, spanned a 20-year period and
accounted for variables ranging from
socioeconomic status to level of physical
activity. Led by psychologist Charles
Holahan of the University of Texas at Austin, it found that mortality rates were
highest for those who had never had a sip,
lower for heavy drinkers, and lowest for
moderate drinkers who enjoyed one to three
drinks per day.
Of the 1,824 study participants, only 41
percent of the moderate drinkers died
prematurely compared to a whopping 69
percent of the nondrinkers. Meanwhile, the
heavy drinkers fared better than those who
abstained, with a 60 percent mortality rate.
Despite the increased risks for cirrhosis and
several types of cancer, not to mention
dependency, accidents, and poor judgment
associated with heavy drinking, those who
imbibe are less likely to die than people
who stay dry.
A possible explanation for this is that
alcohol can be a great social lubricant, and
strong social networks are essential for
maintaining mental and physical health.
Nondrinkers have been shown to
demonstrate greater signs of depression than
their carousing counterparts, and in
addition to the potential heart health and
circulation benefits of moderate drinking
(especially red wine), it also increases
sociability.
While it’s always important to drink
responsibly, this is one study that warrants
raising a glass.

http://worldobserveronline.com/2014/01/02/new-study-suggests-people-dont-drink-alcohol-likely-die-young/

Re: New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young by Sijioke(m): 11:17am On Jul 18, 2014
Abeg who get nokia pin mouth charger cos this stupid post don waste my battery.
Re: New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young by yuncka: 11:20am On Jul 18, 2014
Everyone is looking for a marketting strategy.
Re: New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young by Aphrodite4(f): 11:30am On Jul 18, 2014
yuncka: Everyone is looking for a marketting strategy.

Exactly what I thought..
Re: New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young by Omexonomy: 11:50am On Jul 18, 2014
It would be better to stop lieing to themselves. I read one that says heavy drinking of bear is good for pregnant women.
Re: New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young by Mishydoo(m): 3:04pm On Jul 18, 2014
grin @OP I agree with u,....d more damaged ur liver d longer ur lifespan....I read it on "Dumb Theories fr Retardeens" vol 12 grin
Re: New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 18, 2014
Wow, sounds cool. And to think I was about giving up on alkanal.
I love this discovery.

#DrinkingMode... aktivated
Re: New Study: People Who Avoid Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young by Aphrodite4(f): 6:21am On Jul 19, 2014
SQLmaster1: Wow, sounds cool. And to think I was about giving up on alkanal.
I love this discovery.

#DrinkingMode... aktivated

Been sipping one Bloody Mary wv every meal since I read it.

Lol.

(1) (Reply)

. / The Untold Truth Of How Ebola Entered Nigeria / We Don't Die, We Kill Ourselves 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.