Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,389 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? (11763 Views)

Man Seeks Divorce Because Wife Ran Mad After Extra-marital Affair / What Is The Biggest Source Of Conflict In Your Relationship / Marital Agreement / Contract (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by BrotherJohn: 10:45pm On Jul 19, 2014
Jocelyn and Wilson have been married for 16 years, in that time Wilson feels that Jocelyn has always been verbally abusive to him. It is as if she has verbal diarrhoea anytime there is an argument.

Anything and everything has been said to hurt him. Jocelyn on the other hand feels that it is her husband who is the bully and aggressor and she is always first to apologises every time they fight. She feels he is not the very forgiving type.

One day during an argument, Wilson hits back at her with a slap. Jocelyn was so taken aback and in that instant she remembers that her dad told her that she should never stay with any man who hits her because his own sister was killed by a violent husband. Jocelyn proceeds to call the police who immediately ordered Wilson to leave the house. It is now 2 months since Wilson left the house insisting that the embarrassment was too much and he doesn’t think there is a future for them.

Jocelyn misses him but she is afraid that once is more than enough, he could likely do it again. The family and church have tried to help them work it out but nothing seems to be working. There is a stalemate which means Jocelyn is left with responsibility of looking after 2 children. The first one seems to side with dad and is being rude to her, the younger child though largely confused seems to be on her side.

Is Jocelyn right?

What is the solution, divorce or reconcilliation?

2 Likes

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by BrotherJohn: 10:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
sorry - i may not be available to post remarks or respond because I am quite a busy man.but will try to read all the remarks and suggestions.

1 Like

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by emmyskies(m): 10:41am On Jul 20, 2014
They should both forget their human minds and take the mind of Christ. As christians, that shouldn't be a problem. They should learn not to offend eachother and be very quick to forgive if offended. Though Joicey thinks she's doing the right thing, the fault is from them both. Humility should come from the two parties. They should speak one-on-one to themself, resolve this problem before it leads to another sin, forget their difference and live with the mind of Christ, as christians. Both of them's got work to do

6 Likes

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by BrotherJohn: 8:47am On Jul 21, 2014
I agree with you emmyskies, but don't you think that they read these things in the Bibles, hear sermons after sermons in the church like this? I have noticed several broken marriages and relationships, it is usually that someone refuses to take on the Mind of Christ.

One prominent thing in this case is the fact that, she is living in accordance to the words of her human father instead of her heavenly father. Her human father says, "one strike and that's it", but her heavenly Father says, "seventy times seven strikes per day before you can give up". So, they are not motivated by their Christian values (Word of God), but by cultural or human values.

4 Likes

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by PastorOluT(m): 11:34am On Jul 21, 2014
Hmm, easier said than done. U don't just develop the mind of Christ it takes time my brethren. The truth is the two of them should be ready to take responsibility and sacrifice, and nothing forgetting prayers in other to make things work. If they do not then nothing else can wordk 'cos even the bible says can two work together save they agree?

The two of them should be ready to build a godly home which will start from individual relationship with God that when everyone now come together Christ would always be the reference point.

Though it seem difficult bt things can definitely work only if they want to work at it. The first question they should ask themselves is, do they really want to continue as man n wife?

1 Like

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by emmyskies(m): 3:44pm On Jul 21, 2014
BrotherJohn: I agree with you emmyskies, but don't you think that they read these things in the Bibles, hear sermons after sermons in the church like this? I have noticed several broken marriages and relationships, it is usually that someone refuses to take on the Mind of Christ.

One prominent thing in this case is the fact that, she is living in accordance to the words of her human father instead of her heavenly father. Her human father says, "one strike and that's it", but her heavenly Father says, "seventy times seven strikes per day before you can give up". So, they are not motivated by their Christian values (Word of God), but by cultural or human values.

True. You are right
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by emmyskies(m): 4:04pm On Jul 21, 2014
PastorOluT: Hmm, easier said than done. U don't just develop the mind of Christ it takes time my brethren. The truth is the two of them should be ready to take responsibility and sacrifice, and nothing forgetting prayers in other to make things work. If they do not then nothing else can wordk 'cos even the bible says can two work together save they agree?

The two of them should be ready to build a godly home which will start from individual relationship with God that when everyone now come together Christ would always be the reference point.

Though it seem difficult bt things can definitely work only if they want to work at it. The first question they should ask themselves is, do they really want to continue as man n wife?

Inasmuch as I will agree with your post to some extent, let me point it out that divorce is not an option. Marriage is a life-time thing. Both of them must come back together. See, it is high time christians stop doing what they feel is right thing to do. It is high time they seek the mind of GOD in every decision they want to make. It is time they learn to please GOD and not themselves

1 Like

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by feedthenation(m): 4:18pm On Jul 21, 2014
Loving and submitting to each other is the key to lasting peace in the relationship.
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by PastorOluT(m): 6:22pm On Jul 21, 2014
emmyskies:

Inasmuch as I will agree with your post to some extent, let me point it out that divorce is not an option. Marriage is a life-time thing. Both of them must come back together. See, it is high time christians stop doing what they feel is right thing to do. It is high time they seek the mind of GOD in every decision they want to make. It is time they learn to please GOD and not themselves

Divorce not an option? I believe u have a complete bible n u read where Jesus gave condition for divorce mathew 5, n Paul enjoined the Corinthians that they can leave an unbelieving spouse if they (the other) one isn't willing to live with them 1corinthians 7.

Though i ain't preaching divorce nor encouraging it bt just setting the scriptures right.
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by emmyskies(m): 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2014
PastorOluT:

Divorce not an option? I believe u have a complete bible n u read where Jesus gave condition for divorce mathew 5, n Paul enjoined the Corinthians that they can leave an unbelieving spouse if they (the other) one isn't willing to live with them 1corinthians 7.

Though i ain't preaching divorce nor encouraging it bt just setting the scriptures right.

Both verse didn't support divorce. But gave only one condition of divorce -fornication and unbelieving spouse. In general, both verse condemns marrying after divorce - "But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband"
"and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by PastorOluT(m): 2:26pm On Jul 22, 2014
emmyskies:

Both verse didn't support divorce. But gave only one condition of divorce -fornication and unbelieving spouse. In general, both verse condemns marrying after divorce - "But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband"
"and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

Hello, did u read ur post at all? He gave only one condition for divorce yet in no condition can they divorce?

2 Likes

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by greatnma: 7:30pm On Jul 22, 2014
I think that divorce should not be an option here
but, they need to understand 1corinthians 13 and apply it.God's grace

2 Likes

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by emmyskies(m): 6:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
PastorOluT:

Hello, did u read ur post at all? He gave only one condition for divorce yet in no condition can they divorce?

Because the Lord GOD said He hate divorce -Mal 2:16
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by PastorOluT(m): 8:41am On Jul 24, 2014
emmyskies:

Because the Lord GOD said He hate divorce -Mal 2:16

Yes exactly, He hates it doesn't mean it doesn't happen n when it does happened it doesn't also mean u are condemned. Though should never be, bt the truth remains that there are contigencies even for xtians, remember God gave us freewill n would not force us to stay in something we would not want to.

NB I know this is deep and it has been mostly taught wrongly, u dont divorce for any reason (that is just for any little thing), but there are issues that are detrimental to the body n soul which God allows.
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by PastorOluT(m): 8:48am On Jul 24, 2014
greatnma: I think that divorce should not be an option here
but, they need to understand 1corinthians 13 and apply it.God's grace

Nobody is canvassing for divorce, just seeting scripture straight.
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by emmyskies(m): 12:15pm On Jul 24, 2014
PastorOluT:

Yes exactly, He hates it doesn't mean it doesn't happen n when it does happened it doesn't also mean u are condemned. Though should never be, bt the truth remains that there are contigencies even for xtians, remember God gave us freewill n would not force us to stay in something we would not want to.

NB I know this is deep and it has been mostly taught wrongly, u dont divorce for any reason (that is just for any little thing), but there are issues that are detrimental to the body n soul which God allows.

The Bible says GOD hates divorce. If anyone does what GOD hates, the same should prepare to bear the consequences. In every situation in life, we should always seek to know GOD's mind on the situation in His word. We should rightly divide the word of truth as we study the Bible to show ourselves approved unto GOD -2 Timothy 2:15

1 Like

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by BrotherJohn: 10:05pm On Jul 25, 2014
I wholly agree with everyone that this is a complex topic, but it is so sad that Christians are not living in obedience to our Lord. The sin of disobedience is often overlooked, God says it is as evil as witchcraft.

I don't believe that divorce is a genuine option for the Christian. You see, even if your partner commits fornication, while you have the grounds for divorce, you are expected to also expected to forgive the sinning partner. But what if she refuses to repent from his/her ways? Then a separation is called for in such an environment. But as you separate, you are not permitted to remarry.

As in the original post, Jocelyn should be obedient to her Lord instead of her biological father and forgive Wilson. And Wilson, should pursue love and restoration of her marriage. But what if Wilson has pursued restoration of his marriage through friends and church?

Mat 18:15 "If your brother sins against you, go to him and show him his fault. But do it privately, just between yourselves. If he listens to you, you have won your brother back.
Mat 18:16 But if he will not listen to you, take one or two other persons with you, so that 'every accusation may be upheld by the testimony of two or more witnesses,' as the scripture says.
Mat 18:17 And if he will not listen to them, then tell the whole thing to the church. Finally, if he will not listen to the church, treat him as though he were a pagan or a tax collector.

After taking all these steps, Wilson is supposed to treat Jocelyn as an unbeliever. I believe he should just accept his Cross and keep praying for Jocelyn, but he can't remarry. However, not all can take this bible principle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by bright007(f): 6:19am On Sep 07, 2014
nice
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by Anikulhapo(m): 6:25am On Sep 07, 2014
I Guess This Thread Is Not For Me Cos I Dont Know How To Advise But I Think They Should Move Closer To Christ
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by leonard509(m): 6:28am On Sep 07, 2014
I'll comment wen ii return from church
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by MillionDollars: 6:28am On Sep 07, 2014
...meanwhile
in other news

MILLIONDOLLARS

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by ignis: 6:28am On Sep 07, 2014
I wish I could contribute.
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by smudge2079(m): 6:31am On Sep 07, 2014
Follow ur heart grin or ask ur self dis life defining question... "is d trip to China worth d flight" i mean literally.
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by Aklofs: 6:32am On Sep 07, 2014
OP,when is the revised edition coming?
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by MillionDollars: 6:33am On Sep 07, 2014
..meanwhile
if your BOYFRIEND is cheating on you, come to me

lets CHEAT on him together
MILLIONDOLLARS
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by Funbii(m): 6:34am On Sep 07, 2014
just here to read the comments... tho I found out they (comments) do not make any sense
Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by Atmmachine(m): 6:34am On Sep 07, 2014
QUOTE ME ANYWHERE,ANY DAY,ANY TIME.

#No marriage is perfect

2 Likes

Re: Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest? by onome710(m): 6:43am On Sep 07, 2014
They need Jesus Christ in there heart. #finito

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

There's a reason why God created synthetic fiber, lets remember the purpose! / Choosing Between A Teenage Househelp And A 10 Year Old Househelp / A Family Member Informing Your Spouse Before Visiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.