Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man (18518 Views)

How Do You Determine Object Scale In 3d Modelling? / Can You Teach Me 3d Modelling & Character Animation / 3d Modelling And Animation Tutorials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Chuksxy: 8:33pm On Jul 21, 2014
Sadly I'll have to pull out of the competition. That concept is pretty amazing and at the same time incredibly complex. I'll probably participate in the Animation challenge though.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 8:56pm On Jul 21, 2014
@chuksxy
do u have any modeling experience at all?
if u do, don't just pull out.
participation will definitely b a plus, win or lose.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 21, 2014
Finally...the game is on
Software - Blender Baby
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by prof800(m): 12:09am On Jul 22, 2014
^^^^
@kazuna welcome

Royver:
Here! Been out of circulation for a while.

Whoa!! shocked smiley
This is siiiiick! definitely not for amateurs like me cry
All the same,

Challenge accepted.
Software of choice-Cararra
Good to have someone use Cararra!
This's gonna be mad fun!

Chuksxy I'm not signing you out yet. Please rescind your descision. I believe you can still participate in both modelling and animation challenge... I think...smiley wink
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by xothermik(m): 10:06am On Jul 22, 2014
depending on how busy my schedule gets. i might give it a shot this weekend. i plan to use 3ds max and zbrush for extra details.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by prof800(m): 10:31am On Jul 22, 2014
xothermik: depending on how busy my schedule gets. i might give it a shot this weekend. i plan to use 3ds max and zbrush for extra details.
Finally!
...A 3ds max user!

1 Like

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by spywareczar(m): 11:50am On Jul 22, 2014
prof800:

Yes sir!

So far we have eight wonderful contestants:
>shimish (Blender 3d)
>spywareczar (Cinema 4D)
>Tos87 (Blender 3d)
>ladanski (Blender 3d)
>Chuksxy (Z-brush)
>Royver (Cararra)
>kazuna (Blender 3d)
>xothermik (3ds max + Zbrush combo)

...Still waiting for the rest.

To our able modellers; please indicate your weapon of choice so I can add it to your profile. wink
Happy modelling! smiley
lol, take my name off the list, I'm not participating
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Chuksxy: 12:14pm On Jul 22, 2014
Ok you win prof, Count me in.

Software of Choice is Blender and Zbrush.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 12:39pm On Jul 22, 2014
I had to login to comment. Enough of the talks, I want to see hands on deck. Although I have little knowledge with regards complex 3d modelling, I really want to see what you guys can do. Kudos
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by prof800(m): 12:56pm On Jul 22, 2014
INDESTRUCTABLEX: I had to login to comment. Enough of the talks, I want to see hands on deck. Although I have little knowledge with regards complex 3d modelling, I really want to see what you guys can do. Kudos
You!
Where have you been siiiiince.

Welcome.

Nice one Chuksxy!
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Feraz(m): 1:29pm On Jul 22, 2014
prof800:
Finally!
...A 3ds max user!
So you were waiting for a 3Ds max user? cheesy
Goodluck to the contestants as I'll watch from the sides and practice more often to catch up with y'all.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by prof800(m): 1:42pm On Jul 22, 2014
Feraz: So you were waiting for a 3Ds max user? cheesy
Goodluck to the contestants as I'll watch from the sides and practice more often to catch up with y'all.
grin grin grin grin
me too. sad
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2014
prof800:

You!
Where have you been siiiiince.

Welcome.

Nice one Chuksxy!
Have we met b4? Anyways, thank you. The talk don dey too much oh. Make una show workings.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by prof800(m): 4:10pm On Jul 22, 2014
INDESTRUCTABLEX: Have we met b4? Anyways, thank you. The talk don dey too much oh. Make una show workings.
Let's just say "I'm a fan".

The wonderful contestants just started yesterday. We hope that by tomorrow they would've been able to POST 'work-in-progress'. smiley
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Blueblack: 10:28pm On Jul 22, 2014
Hello all. I've been a silent observer all along but would like to take a shot at this challenge. Weapon of choice. Blender
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by jjk24(m): 4:56am On Jul 23, 2014
Am in joor alredi started work since
,blender ofcus
Oya
add me quick quick ooo ...
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by prof800(m): 8:27am On Jul 23, 2014
Blueblack: Hello all. I've been a silent observer all along but would like to take a shot at this challenge. Weapon of choice. Blender
Welcome sir... Thanks for participating. smiley

jjk24: Am in joor alredi started work since
,blender ofcus
Oya
add me quick quick ooo ...
Done!
Where you con go siiiince na?
Welcome. smiley
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 9:32am On Jul 23, 2014
@spy
hi man.
considering ur one of the contributors to the prize money i can understand ur desire not to actively compete, but u can still b part of the project, to trade tips and just enjoy the experience.

i myself, will find time to also send in an entry and share my workflow as soon as i can create a free window, even though im ineligible for the prize.

its primarily an exercise to build individual skill(s) and foster a stronger community.

please log back on sir!

@all
wips please!
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by prof800(m): 11:23am On Jul 24, 2014
^^^^^
...yes noble gesture from spywareczar. smiley
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by eyeaye: 12:53pm On Jul 26, 2014
Sign me up with zbrush been hoping to practice 3d, Also for those wondering art was done by ekene, very talented artist. i also draw mostly japanese style art (sample) check my dapage on
http://ibroid.deviantart.com/gallery/

1 Like

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by spywareczar(m): 8:42am On Jul 28, 2014
OKX: @spy
hi man.
considering ur one of the contributors to the prize money i can understand ur desire not to actively compete, but u can still b part of the project, to trade tips and just enjoy the experience.

i myself, will find time to also send in an entry and share my workflow as soon as i can create a free window, even though im ineligible for the prize.

its primarily an exercise to build individual skill(s) and foster a stronger community.

please log back on sir!

@all
wips please!
would love to participate o, but that character up there is too detailed, I sculpt in cinema 4D, and if I should sculpt this lava man and everytin, my C4D will keep crashing due to high number of polygons, I modelled a space station sometimes back, it was so detailed and complicated that my system couldn't render it "OUT OF MEMORY" due to high concentration of polygons
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by xothermik(m): 11:36am On Jul 28, 2014
Hi guys. Might sound like a cheap excuse but trust me I'm just recovering from a near fatal typhoid attack. Wasn't made any better by the first doctor who despite my suggestion of typhoid went on to treat me for malaria. Took another test when I kept getting worse and have been responding to treatment since. I had 2 be picked up by my family so I didn't get my computer and tablet with me and I'm currently out of abuja(my work base). I guess I won't make it but if there's time ill still try even after the challenge closes.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by tmebaanne(m): 12:44pm On Jul 28, 2014
Heavy task... tongue Moi on 3ds max
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 2:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
@spy
u don't actually have to model in all details with polygons.
u could use a normal map and a displacement map to create d rock details and map it on ur low poly model, y don't u explore that.
to me, if d process teaches u a thing or two in ur bid to adapt to d challenge, dats a victory in itself.

@xothermik
wow, glad u pulled thru mate.
u could always still offer tips from the sidelines.
good to have an old hand around.

@all
progress?
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tos87(m): 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2014
OKX: @spy
u don't actually have to model in all details with polygons.
u could use a normal map and a displacement map to create d rock details and map it on ur low poly model, y don't u explore that.
to me, if d process teaches u a thing or two in ur bid to adapt to d challenge, dats a victory in itself.
you cant acheive dat wit normal map n disp. U wont get that effect well.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 5:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
@tos
lol, never say 'cant', instead say 'how'.
will map a simple sample texture to a lo-poly primitive to illustrate the point.

of course u will still need to model d basic outlines, but it will save u a ton of work and vertices.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tos87(m): 5:58pm On Jul 28, 2014
OKX: @tos
lol, never say 'cant', instead say 'how'.
will map a simple sample texture to a lo-poly primitive to illustrate the point.

of course u will still need to model d basic outlines, but it will save u a ton of work and vertices.
i still insist...u cant pull that complex model with nor map and displ map alone. U av to model the polygons and give it its material. Ma tot.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 6:12pm On Jul 28, 2014
the following textures were quickly and roughly created to illustrate the point.

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 6:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
the lower image is the displacement map.
i didnt go into major detail with the creating the edges of the displacement map, if i take the time to create the stone texture and instead of the solid black outlines, i create a subtle gradation I will get super realistic edges with the stones.

below is the polygon i am applying it to

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 6:31pm On Jul 28, 2014
these are the results with the sample texture applied, followed by with the displacement map applied.
all i need to really do is fine tune the maps to create a killer texture and map.

once i model in the basic form of the character, texturing takes care of the rock relief and finer details.

1 Like

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2014
the above utilises just displacement maps and the texture, by combining displacement maps/normal maps and bump maps, a greater level of detail is achievable without increasing the polycount.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tos87(m): 11:41pm On Jul 28, 2014
Yet u cant get it al done wit d maps considering the ref image.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

D.I Printing & I.D Card Printing at Extremely low rate / Another Look At Optical Illusions (can You Spot The Faces) / Free Logo Session (CLOSED!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.