Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,862 members, 7,821,009 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man (18538 Views)

How Do You Determine Object Scale In 3d Modelling? / Can You Teach Me 3d Modelling & Character Animation / 3d Modelling And Animation Tutorials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by xothermik(m): 1:58am On Jul 29, 2014
Na wa o! @Tos87 don't assume what you know is the end of C.G. Not very wise to stick your head out so glaringly
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 5:40am On Jul 29, 2014
@tos
unlock ur mind bro, stop saying 'cant'. Dats d essence of this exercise, to widen our horizons.

tweak d reference image in any editing software of choice, like Photoshop to straighten it out. Then use it as a guide to draw and create ur own texture map.

then create the rock effect as a displacement map, giving as much detail as u desire.

there is enough info in the reference image to creatively texture the complete character, or maybe i don't understand ur comment.
care to clarify?

@xothermik
lol, lend ur experience man. I know u wrote the book on mapping generally. wink
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tymax(m): 8:41am On Jul 29, 2014
@OKX, bros I'm not sure your solution satisfies the issues raised by Spywareczar. He is concerned about the rendering phase.

If it was a modelling issue, then yeah, displacement maps would really help to reduce the amount of Graphics RAM and modelling time. But when he hits render, the faces generated and extruded by displacement maps may easily mulitply what he would have had if he modelled each rock. He'll just run out of memory and "task" his processors.

I noticed you added a gradient at the black edges of your map. Sweet, but those details cost render time and memory. We haven't factored the shading of the rock yet. There should be blurred reflection (another render time multiplier). Plus a sort of glow for the lava. Although that could be handled in post production.

IMO, he'll have to settle for a "bump-mapped" low poly version of this; if that will be acceptable.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 10:02am On Jul 29, 2014
@ty
well, if i were in anyone elses shoes (who had concerns about system specs), i would rather go ahead and participate even if my render was of a lo poly version rather than not go thru the exercise at all.

there's a lot to learn and practice in the successful completion of the project.

besides, i really don't think it will be as dramatic as we r making out. I see models here with lots of unnecessary vertices, extravagant lighting and materials.
all the details u raised as concerns can be mapped 2d, n create a file less than 200kb. Its called a challenge, cos its meant to task our faculties and force us review our 'normal' methods.
but trust me, its doable.

breakdown the scene and render in passes/layers
optimise the scene.
efficiently organise the textures balancing resolution with size.
keep the polycount low.

when i started out, i had a crappy lappy with a integrated onboard chip...it forced me to cultivate a habit of working conscious of system limitations. I still turned out decent renders, even if i had to wait a bit. smiley

@spy
care to share ur system specs?
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tos87(m): 1:03pm On Jul 29, 2014
OKX: @tos
unlock ur mind bro, stop saying 'cant'. Dats d essence of this exercise, to widen our horizons.

tweak d reference image in any editing software of choice, like Photoshop to straighten it out. Then use it as a guide to draw and create ur own texture map.

then create the rock effect as a displacement map, giving as much detail as u desire.

there is enough info in the reference image to creatively texture the complete character, or maybe i don't understand ur comment.
care to clarify?

@xothermik
hmm...guess i av to try again,..i experimented using maps but didnt get what i desired. Ok guys we are al in it 2gether. Awaits the D day.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tos87(m): 1:04pm On Jul 29, 2014
OKX: @tos

care to clarify?

@xothermik
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tymax(m): 2:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
@OKX, nice! Render in passes. Mmm! It even allows room for more detailed post production.

BTW, no WIP from anyone since...
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by spywareczar(m): 3:03pm On Jul 29, 2014
OKX: @spy
care to share ur system specs?
HP pavilion, intel Core i3, 6GB RAM, nothing special about the system haha, its not really abt the system though, the model for d contest doesn't even look interesting to me, thants why I decide nt to participate
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 3:48pm On Jul 29, 2014
Talk talk talk, no action. Na so this thread go use die oh.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by prof800(m): 5:11pm On Jul 29, 2014
>shimish (Blender 3d)

>Tos87 (Blender 3d)

>ladanski (Blender 3d)

>Chuksxy (Blender + Z-brush)

>Royver (Cararra)

>kazuna (Blender 3d)

>Blueblack (Blender 3d)

>jjk24 (Blender 3d)

>eyeaye (Z-brush)

>tmebaanne (3ds max)

To our able modellers,
...We are still waiting for WIP sad

>xothermik how is your health?

Happy modelling! smiley
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by PeterrReezer(m): 7:53pm On Jul 29, 2014
@xotherrmik.....sorry for your health. Men, we re not much in naija oh...nothing bad should happen to your health. I wish you speedy recovery......@tymax.....okx is basically giving the idea.modelling the bump stones can be a really pain in the ass. And using displacement maps can be render intensive. True. I will try as much as possible to balance both of you up. Rendering with displacement maps is really processor intensive not only on characters but also on any other geometry. Using bump maps alone on the other hand gives the illusion of bump when viewed headon...but the bump detail is lost when viewed sideways...I m will participate if I had the time - I m curently engaged in a project...i give my idea...the way I ll do it...I use mudbox for sculpting...I model the character without any detail yet...then I can use a bump map(like the one okx created up there) to develop a vector displacement map. I can then use that to paint directly on my model to create that stoney effect on the skin..now its not just a bump texture that you see on render time. Its actual geometry displacement. At the end I ll texture the dents with ptex. Then every other thing follows...As regards system specs...there is really no other way..you have to get a good system... I started with a dual core, 2 gb ram...when I m renderring heavy scenes, max crashes on me...giving me this "out of memory error". That's basically my low Ram size and low video memory size. @tymax...Technically, crashing is as a result of low video memory(GPU). Right click on you desktop, go to screen resolution and then click advanced settings.. You ll see your card name. What you should look out for is the Dedicated video memory. Not shared... That's what 3d softwares use for interactive feedback from your viewport....but anyway let's leave that for another time...oh men...hope I ve not talked too much...lol...@participants. Please model the character to take a davinci pose for easy rigging, avoid triangles.and please WIPs!!!!!!....lol ..One love everybody.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tymax(m): 8:40pm On Jul 29, 2014
PeterrReezer: @xotherrmik.....sorry for your health. Men, we re not much in naija oh...nothing bad should happen to your health. I wish you speedy recovery......@tymax.....okx is basically giving the idea.modelling the bump stones can be a really pain in the ass. And using displacement maps can be render intensive. True. I will try as much as possible to balance both of you up. Rendering with displacement maps is really processor intensive not only on characters but also on any other geometry. Using bump maps alone on the other hand gives the illusion of bump when viewed headon...but the bump detail is lost when viewed sideways...I m will participate if I had the time - I m curently engaged in a project...i give my idea...the way I ll do it...I use mudbox for sculpting...I model the character without any detail yet...then I can use a bump map(like the one okx created up there) to develop a vector displacement map. I can then use that to paint directly on my model to create that stoney effect on the skin..now its not just a bump texture that you see on render time. Its actual geometry displacement. At the end I ll texture the dents with ptex. Then every other thing follows...As regards system specs...there is really no other way..you have to get a good system... I started with a dual core, 2 gb ram...when I m renderring heavy scenes, max crashes on me...giving me this "out of memory error". That's basically my low Ram size and low video memory size. @tymax...Technically, crashing is as a result of low video memory(GPU). Right click on you desktop, go to screen resolution and then click advanced settings.. You ll see your card name. What you should look out for is the Dedicated video memory. Not shared... That's what 3d softwares use for interactive feedback from your viewport....but anyway let's leave that for another time...oh men...hope I ve not talked too much...lol...@participants. Please model the character to take a davinci pose for easy rigging, avoid triangles.and please WIPs!!!!!!....lol ..One love everybody.
We're on the same page bro. cheesy grin No need for the epistle. grin
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 30, 2014
For the blender users, you can use blender's hair/particle system to do the rocks.
1. Create some low poly rocks and group them (Ctrl+g)
2. Add a hair/particle modifier to your base mesh
3. Set the rocks group as the geometry for the hair particles
4. Use particle paint to tweak the rocks.

I just gave you guys dubs... :-)
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 8:39am On Jul 30, 2014
@ladanski
good tip.

question...will it randomise the looks of the rocks, or just repeat the ones u created?
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 30, 2014
If you have several rock shapes as seperate objects, Select all of them (ie Shift+LeftClick) then press Ctrl+G. That will create a group from your selection. In the particle settings panel, select 'group' and it will place the instance geometries in place of the hair strands. There are settings you can adjust to randomize the sizes, rotation and other stuff. smiley
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by OKX(m): 11:41am On Jul 30, 2014
@ladanski
kool. Look forward to seeing it when outputted.

@all
wips?
this is like day 3 or 4 cheesy
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 30, 2014
Also waiting to see WIPs. If I dont see anything within a few days, I might pull out of the competition.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tos87(m): 7:33pm On Jul 30, 2014
ladanski: Also waiting to see WIPs. If I dont see anything within a few days, I might pull out of the competition.
hmm..just like that... embarassed embarassed embarassed why dont post yourts to start with.

1 Like

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 31, 2014
I dont want a repeat of royver's challenge. Only 2 of us made submissions even with the extended deadline. It didn't feel like a challenge.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by cgniyi(m): 10:22am On Jul 31, 2014
Three weeks to go.

Wow, it's very lively in here cheesy

I haven't been active for a while, but I occasionally check the thread to see if there's any progress.
So far, the complaints about system specs, I'm actually surprised. I just assumed based on the some of works posted already this wouldn't be an issue.

ladanski: Also waiting to see WIPs. If I dont see anything within a few days, I might pull out of the competition.

I feel you should post a WIP instead, this might just be the motivation for everyone else.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by emmanuelatas(m): 10:32am On Jul 31, 2014
please nairalanders how do i get maya tutorials o
i have downloaded almost 300mb but still yet the videos are not working, some will show half.....pls help me oooooooo
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by spywareczar(m): 12:11pm On Jul 31, 2014
cgniyi: Three weeks to go.

Wow, it's very lively in here cheesy

I haven't been active for a while, but I occasionally check the thread to see if there's any progress.
So far, the complaints about system specs, I'm actually surprised. I just assumed based on the some of works posted already this wouldn't be an issue.

I feel you should post a WIP instead, this might just be the motivation for everyone else.
lol, actually, creating that lava man is not an issue, I didn't withdraw from d competition coz I don't know how to go about creating the character but bcoz I was disappointed, not what I was expecting, you should hve brought something fresh and interesting, grin

To the participants: oya don't be shy to post your wips na haha, had to launch cinema 4D and create a lil something this morning, here is it, I know it doesn't look good grin , its just somethin to make u guys start post ur awesome WIPs grin

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tos87(m): 2:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
Just thinkin...should have the same pose and background?
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tos87(m): 2:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
spywareczar: lol, actually, creating that lava man is not an issue, I didn't withdraw from d competition coz I don't know how to go about creating the character but bcoz I was disappointed, not what I was expecting, you should hve brought something fresh and interesting, grin

To the participants: oya don't be shy to post your wips na haha, had to launch cinema 4D and create a lil something this morning, here is it, I know it doesn't look good grin , its just somethin to make u guys start post ur awesome WIPs grin
in a challenge, u dont always get what u expect but u get what u r served. I felt likewise too...but got to deliver smthing.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by spywareczar(m): 2:17pm On Jul 31, 2014
Tos87: Just thinkin...should have the same pose and background?
lol, yessir, shey u are one of the participant? Show your progress

@ prof800 please sign me back in, I'll participate, will start another one and post WIPs within the week, I don vex grin
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
[quote author=spywareczar][/quote] plenty talk. In btw, oga spy do u have an email I can reach you with? Nairaland pm isn't working, don't know y.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by cgniyi(m): 4:15pm On Jul 31, 2014
spywareczar: lol, actually, creating that lava man is not an issue, I didn't withdraw from d competition coz I don't know how to go about creating the character but bcoz I was disappointed, not what I was expecting, you should hve brought something fresh and interesting, grin

That's what I'm talking bout!

Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by cgniyi(m): 4:23pm On Jul 31, 2014
The design was something I thought everyone would be excited about! undecided

Anyways, hope I can come up with something tonight.
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by spywareczar(m): 5:34pm On Jul 31, 2014
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
spywareczar@gmail.com
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by spywareczar(m): 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2014
@ cgniyi yessir, sign me in
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tymax(m): 6:07pm On Jul 31, 2014
Interesting grin
Re: 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man by Tos87(m): 6:45pm On Jul 31, 2014
spywareczar: lol, yessir, shey u are one of the participant? Show your progress

@ prof800 please sign me back in, I'll participate, will start another one and post WIPs within the week, I don vex grin
lol... U dont av to make that cal pal...i kno u are good...just get to work. U aint got much time. Hope to see u there this time. Spy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

D.I Printing & I.D Card Printing at Extremely low rate / Another Look At Optical Illusions (can You Spot The Faces) / Free Logo Session (CLOSED!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.