Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,039 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles (40504 Views)

Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 / Nigerian Players In South African League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Adeokeho(m): 7:12am On Jul 22, 2014
BlackPikiN: Anybody who says Obodo and Agali flopped must be sick. Agali of Hansa Rostoc and Obodo of Perugia Kai!!. Op you better take their names off the list.

Obodo got injured while playing for naija and was sidelined for a very long time.

What about that Opabunmi, Azeez, Nworgu and ideye.

Akpoborie was no flop in the eagles. Na only Ogbeche but He's back banging goals for Dutch club.
No mind the OP,he should go and do his findings well.Where r Azubike Oliseh,Christopher Kanu,most of the plauers that went to Sydney 2000 Olympic.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 22, 2014
where is MIKEL OBI on this list. undecided
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by wanted(m): 7:16am On Jul 22, 2014
that gbenga okunowo na the highest flop after playing for Barcelona. You people should stop calling Yakubu he's one of the top scorers in the history of the Super Eagles and all the AFCON winning boys in 2013 have written their name in nigeria soccer history non can be called flop including Mikel and Agbim as sad as it may sound.

Egwuatu Oliseh and Ogbonna Kanu. i reserve my comment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Adeokeho(m): 7:17am On Jul 22, 2014
bigass: There was this guy that people thought could replace Okocha. He wears 10 plaits his hair. he became so fat. i have forgotten his name
If its Oruma,u r talking about,he is not a flop,coaches spoil most players career due to hatred,Oruma benched Okocha in some matches at Atlanta 1996 Olympic and further more.Go do ur findings

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by lastpage: 7:34am On Jul 22, 2014
There are Bad players ..... juts plain useless from day one!

Then there are good players, average may be a better description of them. They are played a few good games and thats all

There there are BRILLIANT players, players who have played and shown enough quality for us to put our hopes in them .... They have been given consistent opportunity to show-case their skills and each time, they dash our hopes. They are not injured or suffer from lack of playing time.

It is that "hope" which they dashed that makes them a flop!

Now, if l look back for say over the last five to ten years, only one name keeps coming to my mind as the GREATEST FLOP EVER (refer back to that definition of "flop", again, not necessarily the worst player ever!)

Okay, take our last world cup games and examine it again.
Who was that player that gets a pass, controls the ball and then goes on to "take a nap", then lazily turns around to look at his Goal Keeper (from the middle of the field o!), wonders for a few seconds what he should do and then decides its better to make a "back pass" in the hope someone would be there to retrieve the ball. .... and while still making up his mind, an opponent has sneaked-in and collect the ball from his leg!

Lets be honest about this, as much as l always pray for him to live up to his expectations and billing (each time l remember the way he "marshalled the mid-field, dictated the pace of the game and generally stamped his authority on everyone on the field in a W.Cup match, l cry at his demise!)...

That MASTER-FLOP is MIKEl OBI (some of you have rightly tagged him SNAIL SLOWBI! grin grin )

Even if we argue that Chelsea's tactics destroyed him but have you wondered whether William and Ramires? Both forward thinking and ambitiously speedy players?

This our own Mikel Obi (Slowbie, l mean) has added that "silent killer" to his game: BIG-MANISSM!
he thinks he is soo good that the opponents will be just too scared to come near him! grin grin
The last few games he has played in the national colors, l would have preferred even an old, expired J.J Okocha to just "stand there and verbally pass instructions"!

I salute his level of "Floppiness".

Lastpage!

BTW: Is it a coincidence that the trio of Premier League players we took to the W.Cup were ALL FLOPS?
Mikel Slowbi, Shola Ameobi and Victor Moses? Ameobi, l can pardon, he was never outstanding and is past his "sell-by-date", even by Newcastle standards, I dont know what Keshi "collected" to field him (probably a future coaching assistance job in Newcastle)..
...but Mikel 'Slowbie' and Moses are still young guys, For Fecks Sake? angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by paroh137(m): 7:58am On Jul 22, 2014
tsolz84: The list aint complete without the inclusion of Pius Ikedia;Mikelis Obilis,Victoristus Mosesalisis and other species of snails
grin grin This dude is f**king mental

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by alabiyemmy(m): 8:01am On Jul 22, 2014
I dont think Victor Agali and Akpoborie Jonathan were flops

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Foma2: 8:25am On Jul 22, 2014
Azeez ke. Dat guy is very gud. U can't get d best out of him playing him as an AMF. He's nt. He's got a gr8 future ahead.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 22, 2014
tuffgongjo: abbey george debuted in d LG cup.

And alongside Christian Obodo who also did very well, Abbey George was the MVP at that LG Cup!

He wore jersey #9 and was so excellent - drawing comparisons with an equally good Reuben Agboola half caste at Senegal '92 - only that he faded much later.

Such men weren't FLOPS. They only failed to sustain tempo.

Even Ijeh Peterside wasn't a flop. Wasn't it that Nigeria VS Egypt 1-1 Friendly that he played? You don't judge a man by such matches - lone games - where he played alongside a largely experimental/homebased Super Eagles. It is just like judging Zabaleta because he played for Argentina in their 4-1 loss in Abuja, assuming that was Zab's debut, for example.

FLOPs might be Stephen Ayodele Makinwa - Agreed. But even Ogbeche or Jonathan Akpoborie weren't flops for crying out loud.

Finally, the man nolongthing here is such a brain. He reminds me of naptu. Those guys are cerebral!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Eagle75: 9:46am On Jul 22, 2014
gazilion: These are examples of some nice and great players who never went far...I won't call them a flop...

O Lord help me never to shine and stop but to keep shining till I die...Amen

1. James Obiora
2. Chris
Onyemachara
3. Samuel Elijah
4. Garba Lawal
5. Taiwo Enegwea
6. Friday Elaho
7. Tunde Charity
8. Chris Ohenhen
9. Fatai Atere
10. Shola Ameobi
- I'm not happy Keshi used Ameobi instead of Mba...Ameobi's patriotism smacks of hypocrisy only after he was rejected by England.
11. Chrisantus
12. Vanzekin
13. Chidi Nwanu - really didn't see much of him except in the US '94 games.
14. Wilson Oruma
15. Mobi Oparaku

Let me think again...

pls.
Michael Onyemachara not Chris
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by paveinc(m): 9:51am On Jul 22, 2014
DANNY SHTTU should b on dat list..dsappointed me seriously,hoping he will b a replacement yobo undecidedDANNY SHTTU should b on dat list..dsappointed me seriously,hoping he will b a replacement yobo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by tuffgongjo(m): 10:04am On Jul 22, 2014
Hernyolar:

And alongside Christian Obodo who also did very well, Abbey George was the MVP at that LG Cup!

He wore jersey #9 and was so excellent - drawing comparisons with an equally good Reuben Agboola half caste at Senegal '92 - only that he faded much later.

Such men weren't FLOPS. They only failed to sustain tempo.

Even Ijeh Peterside wasn't a flop. Wasn't it that Nigeria VS Egypt 1-1 Friendly that he played? You don't judge a man by such matches - lone games - where he played alongside a largely experimental/homebased Super Eagles. It is just like judging Zabaleta because he played for Argentina in their 4-1 loss in Abuja, assuming that was Zab's debut, for example.

FLOPs might be Stephen Ayodele Makinwa - Agreed. But even Ogbeche or Jonathan Akpoborie weren't flops for crying out loud.

Finally, the man nolongthing here is such a brain. He reminds me of naptu. Those guys are cerebral!
abbey's inability to play @ d top flight$injuries did him in,obodo was no flop he tried his best but Ogbeche failed in naija's color$most of his clubside.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by dagreen14: 10:31am On Jul 22, 2014
Anyone remmember Ruben Agboola?
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by JhaayYoung: 10:46am On Jul 22, 2014
AYODELE MAKINWA---- Greatest of the greatest flop ever.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by kunlepicktu: 10:50am On Jul 22, 2014
Tpappie: Wrong! Elvan Ekoku played another friendly for Nigeria
that was true,after USA 94 world cup,d compitition was played in saudi,when we played wit Japan,we won by 3goals n played wit Aergentina we played goaless draw n we came 2rd in d compitition

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by rikamann: 10:53am On Jul 22, 2014
Who mentioned Friday Ekpo as a flop? He was one of the best midfielders ever in Nigeria, even in Africa. D man na 'Baller!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 22, 2014
You guy forgot no. 1 person that should be on the list

1. PETER IJEH.

Plz OP remove obodo and agali there.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by engrkaz(m): 11:11am On Jul 22, 2014
Lie lie... Agali and Obodo shouldn't be on a list of flops... in my opinion Furo Iyenemi should be somewhere in the top 5...
opabunmi and Efetobore Sodje... Isaac "flatfoot" okoronkwo.. all great flops..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Dinocarex(m): 11:15am On Jul 22, 2014
Tightguy: Who remembers that guy that scored a goal against ChelseaFC in the FA Cup & was later drafted to the SuperEagles ? That dude was a super flop both for country and later for his clubside.
Kayode Odejayi of Barnsley FC.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by afrokid(m): 11:16am On Jul 22, 2014
Ur head dey dia jare!!!

rashygenius: U guys re wrong

THE GREATEST FLOP EAGLES EVER HAD WAS

Ayodele MAKINWA.he played 4 most serie A cLUBS Including iNTER,LAZIO,PARMA..yet he culd only found d net 2wice or so
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Dinocarex(m): 11:27am On Jul 22, 2014
Lily4star: Please what about that guy who was tagged to be the next Messi of Nigeria STANLEY OKORO, since the Under 17 tourney held in Nigeria years ago, abeg where em dey?
Loooolzz... U mean 'Little Messi'?? That guy was 20 years old, 4 years before the competition in 2009.. I think he finally played in a friendly for us and he was a total flop!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by engrkaz(m): 11:45am On Jul 22, 2014
Dinocarex:
Loooolzz... U mean 'Little Messi'?? That guy was 20 years old, 4 years before the competition in 2009.. I think he finally played in a friendly for us and he was a total flop!!!
U mean Stanley Ojoro?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by dabossman(m): 12:12pm On Jul 22, 2014
larrymoore: Another flop is joseph Yobo, while on The pitch, anytime the super Eagle fails to score. On the opponent's side, he will just score an own goal to demonstrate how it should be done.

It's funny how people only remember Yobo for own goals, yet this same Yobo has rescued Nigeria several times by coming to score for Nigeria when our strikers were misfiring. I remember two back to back 2010 World Cup qualifiers where it was Yobo that rescued us from playing goalless draws with the likes of Sierra Leone and Equatorial Guinea.

Yobo is not a flop.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Lily4star(f): 12:23pm On Jul 22, 2014
Dinocarex:

You see, so he was 24 playing as an Under17, how do you expect him to well when he must ve past his prime playing for the senior side. Naija I hail thee, that's why we keep dominating the Under17 competition. For our mind we be World Champions

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Mcbalogun: 12:55pm On Jul 22, 2014
hot nigerian celebrity picture http://0x40.0x20.0xc.0x40/ (link securised by admin)
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by simbaddsailor(m): 2:10pm On Jul 22, 2014
Syenite: 1) Efan Ekoku: Widely tipped prio to 1994 AFCON to be better than Yekini.Only game he played was against Zaire in Qfinal where he missed a very glaring chance. He was subsequently returned to d bench and fastened with a seat belt. That was d only game he played for Nigeria even though he made the party to 1994 world cup.

2) Jonathan Akpoborie:The 1985 U17 winner, managed to break into the Super Eagles in late 1990s. He den had to contend with our then inform striker, Victor Ikpeba.Akpoborie saw few games and never really lived up to his rating. Things got worse for him with the coming of Julius Aghahowa and Ikpeba's former U17 team mate, Benedict Akuegbu. Akpoborie lost his place in d Super Eagles.

3) Victor Agali: Nigeria's 2000 Olympics hit man when he paired with Aghahowa, Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Pius Ikedia. Yekini left a very big shoe to b filled and Nigerians believed the huge striker was d man. He did feature in 2002 AFCON bt was sent home due to disciplinery action after first game in 2004 AFCON after we lost our opening game to Morocco. Agali and Babayaro kissed good bye to the Super Eagles after dat incidence.

4) Batholomew Ogbeche: One of d greatest errors in Nigeria's world cup selection history. The then 18yrs old Ogbeche had just entered lime light after a one season performance at PSG. A bicycle kick that saw d ball hit d cross-bar in a pre-world cup friendly against Scotland was all Coach Onigbinde saw that made him include Ogbeche in d party to 2002 WC and d rest is history.

5) Christian Ndubuisi Obodo: Fondly called bundle of skills was Ogbeche's team mate at 2001AYC. He was seen as a likely replacement for JJ Okocha. He hardly lived up to the expectations from Nigerians and was dropped from Super Eagles.

6) Joseph Akpala: Emerged highest goal scorer in d Belgian league for 2 straight seasons. He finally got a SE call up after so much pressure on d coaching crew. He did not leave up to his ranking and so was dropped only to b recalled for the 2013 confederations cup in Brazil. You and I saw his performance at dat tourney.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by simbaddsailor(m): 2:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
U failed to mention Richard Owobokiri of Boavista FC Portugal. He waz second highest goal scorer in Europe in one particular season. He played for SE n scored one goal through a header, since den I v never heard of him

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by osjoshua(m): 6:10pm On Jul 22, 2014
bigass: There was this guy that people thought could replace Okocha. He wears 10 plaits his hair. he became so fat. i have forgotten his name
Wilson Oruma
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by R9rex(m): 7:20pm On Jul 22, 2014
Opabunmi
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by DMilanista: 10:05pm On Jul 22, 2014
rashygenius: U guys re wrong

THE GREATEST FLOP EAGLES EVER HAD WAS

Ayodele MAKINWA.he played 4 most serie A cLUBS Including iNTER,LAZIO,PARMA..yet he culd only found d net 2wice or so
chai, d TIGER of lagos grin I no like dat guy at all. Media too hype am. To me then, it was as if he was using jazz even for SS Lazio cos he was not playing regularly let alone scoring bt he always had his contract renewed.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by DMilanista: 10:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
MadCow1: Did Kanu Nwankwo not have a Brother in the Eagles at some point that couldn't even pass as a ball boy talk less of Football player. angry
dat should be Christopher Kanu I think. Dat guy ehn!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dele Ajiboye Took Nigeria To CHAN Final, Says Sudan Coach Logarusic Hrvatsko / Real Madrid Signs Takefusa Kubo For Castilla As 6th Summer Move / Modric Wins Ballon D'or 2018 To End Ronaldo & Messi 10-year Duopoly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.