Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,400 members, 7,812,174 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing - Autos (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing (64682 Views)

Engine Number And Chassis Number For Mercedes Benz C220 / Tokunbo 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sports (Long Chassis) Asking Price Now: N1m / Free VIN/Chassis Number Checks For All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Godalone(m): 1:30pm On Oct 24, 2008
akininNC:

@youngmill and godalone

Children, to the best of my knowledge this is an adults only forum please act like one.
I am sure you are kidding,we are all adults.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by youngmill(m): 1:43pm On Oct 24, 2008
akininNC:

@youngmill

well the tone of your posts speaks otherwise

Maybe to you. Don't have time for all this.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Busybody2(f): 2:59pm On Oct 24, 2008
youngmill:

You don't need to be insultive akin, there are no kids here, we're all adults but with different opinion!!!!!!!!!!

Any one who does not agree with their approach on Inspired_men is either a child, or inspired himself if the poster is a newbie, or inspired's boy boy if the poster is an oldbie undecided

Welcome to their fair and consistent world where wonders shall never end, Don't say I told you, but have you heard the latest miracle that Ziontrain . . .

These guys are so fearfully and wonderfully made and are too fair to the extent that it is becoming a cause for concern. I worry they might go too soft in the head undecided me and my caring self cool
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by FLORIDACAR: 4:59am On Oct 29, 2008
People like me left this site long time ago, came back to find-out ,more crowded and full of LIES. may God help "US" nigerians.
we are always far-away from truth, HONESTY IS NOT IN OUR DIARY" NA WAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by mastro: 11:55am On Oct 30, 2008
Slightly confused,

The owner of the site has after much discussion among the membership asked that cars be advertised with their VIN or Chassis number.

Every car that leaves a factory anywhere in the world has this number.

Anyone selling a car who can't locate it (or ask their mechanic) should IMO not be selling cars.

The only plausible explanation for not providing this number is either there is something wrong with said automobile, or the person doesn't have physical access to it. There is nothing, I repeat nothing that a 3rd party can do with this number other than look up the cars history.

Don't understand why this takes 6 pages of comments to determine.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by rasmur5: 6:41pm On Nov 13, 2008
Seun,

We need a Moderator on this forum to enforce this VIN issue. As this website becomes more and more popular, we see people advertising more everyday and that`s good but getting some of them to post the VIN is like pulling teeth.

There are individuals who have taken it upon themselves to provide reminders to the posters but people do not always listen to them. Please, let`s appoint a Moderator. igwe1 is my choice for obvious reasons (see his posts in the Auto section) but if there are others out there, no probem.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by tegaboy: 9:55pm On Nov 18, 2008
dear sir
could you check this vin number 5uxfa93504le81912
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by BonnyFace: 11:21am On Nov 20, 2008
Hello good day Mastro.
Just some view questions for you.
I am looking for a lost friend from University of Ilorin.
We both graduated from Geology department, 1991 and did his NYSC in Cross-River State, while mine was in Rivers State
mastro:

Slightly confused,

The owner of the site has after much discussion among the membership asked that cars be advertised with their VIN or Chassis number.

Every car that leaves a factory anywhere in the world has this number.

Anyone selling a car who can't locate it (or ask their mechanic) should IMO not be selling cars.

The only plausible explanation for not providing this number is either there is something wrong with said automobile, or the person doesn't have physical access to it. There is nothing, I repeat nothing that a 3rd party can do with this number other than look up the cars history.

Don't understand why this takes 6 pages of comments to determine.
And are you from Ekiti State
Does this description matches with you.

If yes, could you called me on 08035460375.
Will be expecting.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by mastro: 3:27pm On Nov 22, 2008
hi bonnyface,
Not me sorry.

Tunde
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ADEOMOLE(m): 3:31pm On Nov 28, 2008
Do you the VIN can be used to reorder keys for a Car from the manufacturer.

Only a careless seller would reveal such an information online.

Revealing such Data might do more harm than good.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Seun(m): 3:33pm On Nov 28, 2008
ADEOMOLE:

This is a new angle to the story. What do the VIN supporters have to say about this?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by coolguyz(m): 4:35pm On Nov 28, 2008
VIN can be used to re-order keys from the car manufacturer,  and whats the risk or threat to VIN diclosure in that.?
cars packed at dealer shops or even private cars have the VIN display right on the dash board which is accessible without opening the car. i'v requested for VIN check on this forum for a friend who was to buy a car in benin and all i told him was to copy the VIn so we do a check and was easy. so why ddnt the car dealer stop him from doing that?
is the threat only to d seller and i need to knw what the risk rily is because what of those who buy and pack the cars at car lots where accessibility is easy, look through the windscreen and u hv the 17 digits already.
in my opinion, its no threat to anybody, u need more than VIN to perpetuate fraud, at least location of car and not every car manufacturer posts keys like dt!

my personal opinion and reality Thoughts ooooo!
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 8:14pm On Nov 28, 2008
ADEOMOLE:

Who has done it b/4? Support your case with proof. If you guys wish to abolish the mandatory disclosure of VIN here, I wish you all the best.
Am only afraid that you will have to compete with the real criminals  while the end result will be categorizing everybody as scam and crooks

Seun:

This is a new angle to the story.  What do the VIN supporters have to say about this?
Its only an illicit car dealer that will be afraid to disclose the VIN of his advertised car,else VIN can be viewed outside the car on the dash board.
Manufacturers are not that dumb that they would print keys based on the VIN provision knowing quite well that some car dealers are mandated to disclose the VIN of their adverted vehicles in USA, Its just absurd  to believe that duplication of keys can be made without  proof of ownership.

coolguyz:

VIN can be used to re-order keys from the car manufacturer,  and whats the risk or threat to VIN diclosure in that.?
cars packed at dealer shops or even private cars have the VIN display right on the dash board which is accessible without opening the car. i'v requested for VIN check on this forum for a friend who was to buy a car in benin and all i told him was to copy the VIn so we do a check and was easy. so why ddnt the car dealer stop him from doing that?
is the threat only to d seller and i need to knw what the risk rily is because what of those who buy and pack the cars at car lots where accessibility is easy, look through the windscreen and u hv the 17 digits already.
in my opinion, its no threat to anybody, u need more than VIN to perpetuate fraud, at least location of car and not every car manufacturer posts keys like dt!

my personal opinion and reality Thoughts ooooo!
That explains everything.

In conclusion

VIN is the only tool that can bring peace and regulates  the advertisement of cars on this site and also a veritable tool for the buyers as to have an ideal as regards to the car history.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by mastro: 4:51pm On Dec 02, 2008
While yes, you require the VIN to order new keys, you will also be asked for proof of ownership, I recently in the UK ordered a spare key for a 307 in Nigeria and had to jump through hoops, they wanted registration docs, proof of identity and proof of address, bearing in mind that it wasn't my car I had to tender, registration docs, passport of owner, my passport, proof of my UK address (utility bills) before they would cut me a key. (Mr Ademole try approaching a UK dealer to cut a spare key and see for yourself)

Lets approach this logically since VIN'S are visable through the window screen if manufacturers cut keys for anyone with a VIN number then I shall be visiting Inspired car lot and driving away in the X6.

Further evidence that this is a non issue is the fact that if you check www.cars.com, www.autotrader.com or www.ebay.com advertised cars show their VIN numbers.

As a slight aside another very good use for VIN's is parts, so when my people in Gidi need parts I walk into a dealer anywhere in the world quote them the VIN and I'm sure of getting the correct part so next time you get told silly money for a part in Gidi, use your friends abroad to get your parts, even including air freight it's mostly cheaper.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 5:18pm On Dec 02, 2008
@mastro
God bless you brother!! cool cool cool
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ziontrain: 8:20pm On Dec 02, 2008
@mastro & @Igwe1, more vaseline to your elbows! Your efforts in helping to sanitise this forum are much appreciated.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Godalone(m): 11:36am On Dec 03, 2008
@igwe1,@mastro & @ziontrain,you guys are good,keep it up.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Martins00(m): 2:55pm On Dec 05, 2008
VIN, VIN , VIN, is it only those in America and Canada that ship cars to Nigeria? This is the first time i'm hearing such any where and i totally find it absurd one should ask about VIN. Thts a private code that shouldn't be shared on an online forum. One moe thing, you guys should read more about Carfax before coming to place such unreasonable request here.

Read more on Carfax https://secure.carfax.com/about/car_history/hcabout.cfm

It absolutely has nothing to do with European cars. Whoever tht suggested such idea should rethink and take all opinions into consideration before placing such kind of thread.

And besides we don't sell those fuel guzzling and environmentally unfriendly vehicles from the USA and Canada.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 7:17pm On Dec 05, 2008
Martins00:

VIN, VIN , VIN, is it only those in America and Canada that ship cars to Nigeria? This is the first time i'm hearing such any where and i totally find it absurd one should ask about VIN. Thts a private code that shouldn't be shared on an online forum. One moe thing, you guys should read more about Carfax before coming to place such unreasonable request here.

Read more on Carfax https://secure.carfax.com/about/car_history/hcabout.cfm

It absolutely has nothing to do with European cars. Whoever that suggested such idea should rethink and take all opinions into consideration before placing such kind of thread.

And besides we don't sell those fuel guzzling and environmentally unfriendly vehicles from the USA and Canada.
In short I don't know what to tell you since you have refused to see beyond your own personal interest. VIN gives information on cars and their environmental pollution.In the same vain, sizes and no. of cylinders in an Engine  tell more about fuel consumption and its not restricted to a particular country.Once again VIN is not security but identity and can be seen by anyone that wants to when the car is stationary 
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Martins00(m): 7:32pm On Dec 05, 2008
Since you are too lazy to read what exactly CARFAX Vehicle History Data Sources is all about, i'll bring it here then for u.

https://secure.carfax.com/data_sources.cfx

CARFAX Vehicle History Data Sources

CARFAX® receives data from more than 20,000 different sources including every U.S. and Canadian provincial motor vehicle agency plus many police and fire departments, collision repair facilities, auto auctions, and more.

The CARFAX database is the most comprehensive vehicle history database in North America, containing over 5 billion records. Records included in each CARFAX Report reveal important information about a car's history, such as an odometer reading, existence of a branded title such as a salvage/junk title, or past registration as a fleet vehicle. A CARFAX Report may not include every event in a vehicle's history, but will include the data that is reported to CARFAX for a specific vehicle identification number (VIN).

Before you buy a used car, we recommend that you get a CARFAX Report, take a test drive, and have the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic.

The following list represents some of the many types of data sources that currently report information to CARFAX.

Data source Types of data provided to CARFAX How the data can help you make a
better used car buying decision
U.S. motor vehicle agencies • Branded titles, includingsalvage/junk, flood and more
• Truth in Mileage Act (TIMA) certified odometer readings
• Manufacturer buybacks or lemon titles
• Registration records, including original vehicle use and city/state where the vehicle was registered
• Accident damage reports
• Stolen vehicles
• Ownership transfers
• Lien information • Identify problem titles
• Uncover potential odometer fraud
• Learn estimated number of owners
• Learn where the vehicle has been registered
• Identify how the vehicle may have been used (rental, taxi,lease, etc.)
• Uncover past accidents
Canadian provincial motor vehicle agencies • Vehicle registrations
• Problem brands
• Odometer readings
• Ownership transfers • Find cross-border activity
• Identify problem brands
• Learn estimated number of owners
Auto auctions • Odometer readings • Uncover potential odometer fraud
Collision repair facilities Accident indicators, including:
• Structural/frame damage
• Collision repair history • Uncover past accidents that resulted in repairs
Service/ maintenance facilities • Service or maintenance records including dates and services offered • Learn maintenance history
• See where the car has been serviced
Insurance companies • Total loss vehicles
• Stolen vehicles • Identify accidents which may not have resulted in salvage/junk titles
Salvage auctions • Salvaged vehicles
• Vehicles sold at auction • Identify salvaged cars that may not have been assigned salvage titles by motor vehicle agencies
Automotive recyclers • Recycled parts that were requested for a repair • Uncover major maintenance repairs
• Identify damage events that may not have been reported to law enforcement agencies or insurance companies
Rental/fleet vehicle companies • Total loss and damage history
• Maintenance/service history • Learn damage history
• Learn repair/maintenance history
State inspection stations • Odometer readings
• Location of inspection site
• Pass/fail safety and emissions inspection status
• Inspection details • Uncover potential odometer fraud
• Identify vehicle driving patterns
• Identify compliance problems
Extended warranty companies • Major repair and maintenance history • Learn repair/maintenance history
Fire departments • Fire damage reports from across the U.S. • Identify vehicles damaged in fire incidents
Manufacturers • Open recalls
• Certified pre-owned (CPO) vehicles
• Service and maintenance history
• Courtesy buybacks • Identify recalls that need to be completed
• Identify vehicles inspected and certified by manufacturers
• Learn maintenance history
Law enforcement agencies • Stolen vehicle records
• Police department accident reports (various state and local jurisdictions) • Identify stolen vehicles
• Uncover past accidents
Car dealerships • Vehicles offered for sale
• Odometer readings • Uncover potential odometer fraud
• Learn odometer history
Import/export companies • Vehicle transfers and locations
• Compliance dates • Identify out-of-country history
• Verify emissions standards compliance

CARFAX does not have the complete history of every vehicle. A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about the vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use a Vehicle History Report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about a used car.

* Do CARFAX Vehicle History Reports have information about accidents?
Yes. If an accident has been reported to CARFAX it will be included in the CARFAX Vehicle History Report. CARFAX reports have information about accidents in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Canada. We guarantee we will have information about the most severe accidents, ones for which the states or provinces have issued a branded title. We also have the largest publicly accessible database of less severe accidents which we have compiled from thousands of sources.

However, we do not have all accidents as many have never been reported, or may only have been reported to a source to which CARFAX does not have access. We recommend that any car be inspected by a qualified mechanic prior to purchase to make sure the vehicle is functioning properly and check for signs of unreported damage.

* I know this vehicle has had an accident. Why isn't it listed on the CARFAX Report?
CARFAX compiles the CARFAX Vehicle History Report from information it receives from thousands of sources. As extensive as our database is, we do not have all accidents as many have never been reported, or may only have been reported to a source to which CARFAX does not have access.

If you know a vehicle was involved in an accident and it is not on the CARFAX Vehicle History Report, please take a minute to let us know about it by emailing us through the "Email CARFAX" tab above.

* Does CARFAX get total loss data from insurance companies?
Yes. Some insurance companies report total loss information to CARFAX.

CARFAX also uses other sources to determine if a vehicle was declared a total loss by an insurance company.

Read Nigga! Read! Do u see any word in this report saying anything about european based cars??
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 7:44pm On Dec 05, 2008
Some of the dealers were  victims of this mandatory VIN disclosure, based on that, you are required to provide yours.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Martins00(m): 7:54pm On Dec 05, 2008
U're obviously jobless cheesy
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 7:57pm On Dec 05, 2008
Martins00:

U're obviously jobless cheesy
Even when am on your neck, is that not job?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Martins00(m): 8:01pm On Dec 05, 2008
igwe 1:

Even when am on your neck, is that not job?

Keep it up! See if u might feed ur family with it, thts if u have one. Good luck with ur job tongue
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 8:12pm On Dec 05, 2008
Martins00:

Keep it up! See if u might feed ur family with it, thts if u have one. Good luck with ur job tongue
Is not issue of feeding your family but what you feed them with, I hope this becomes your turning point for where we are going is still very far.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by mastro: 9:58pm On Dec 05, 2008
It's Friday night, so I've a few min's before hitting the town

Mr Martins, are really a car dealer, no really hear me out, it's not a baseless question, I ask because you seem to think that VINs are only  relevant for North American cars, now if you were actually a European based car dealer you might have heard of HPI which is the UK equivalent of carfax, which believe it or not uses that magic number to run checks as well I suspect there is a German equivalent as well, and has been pointed out above many a time the bloody VIN is visible through the window screen so it is not I repeat not a secret code that allows you to magically steal someone’s car.

Wait O I'm not finished if you really were a car dealer then as I pointed out above you would probably have had cause to buy parts for cars and as such would probably have been asked for the VIN at some point during  your long and illustrious career as a car dealer
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Martins00(m): 10:08pm On Dec 05, 2008
Mr Mastro! When u find the German version, let me know. ok? Good luck!
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Busybody2(f): 10:17pm On Dec 05, 2008
mastro:

. . .it is not I repeat not a secret code that allows you to magically steal someone’s car. . .

Small pickin no sabi melecine, hin dey call am vegetable undecided Thank God ignorance is bliss cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Martins00(m): 10:26pm On Dec 05, 2008
grin grin grin

I really didn't read tht shocked! That was funny. Mr Mastro, u see ur life?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by hubreality(m): 1:43pm On Dec 08, 2008
That's excellent of you, Seun. The security of the buyer is well considered for just doing that.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Busybody2(f): 11:59pm On Dec 11, 2008
Martins00:

VIN, VIN , VIN, is it only those in America and Canada that ship cars to Nigeria? This is the first time i'm hearing such any where and i totally find it absurd one should ask about VIN. Thts a private code that shouldn't be shared on an online forum . . .

Hmmn, let them carry on making things easier for crook who specialises in dealing in Clones and Ringer. Before, these criminals had to contact a car seller to either request via email or request for a  photocopy of the vehicle documents with the VIN numbers, but now all they need to do is come to Nairaland, they don't even need to log on/be a member. God don butter dem bread big-time undecided

Even sef how many of those shouting for VIN numbers remember to request for the vital vehicle registration document to verify that the VIN displayed is valid and not a stolen car with a fake ID. 

Here in the UK, most car sellers would even block the plate number of the car they are selling due to the fact that this can also be cloned and used to purchase fuel and run off without paying or used to enter the congestion charge area or commit other traffic violations, talkless of revealing the unique reference number (VIN) of the car.

To whom it may concern; Not all cars have VIN numbers on their windshield wink
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by barry06(m): 2:19pm On Dec 16, 2008
hi seun,

well done for the good works.
actually i have been a member since 2006, hence the surfix 06.

i want to know whether VIN numbers are same as CHASIS NO. If NO.
THEN where can i find VIN number on a vehicle?

thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why You Must Sell Your Cars with Us. / Let's Handle All Your Payment To Copart and Iaai. / 1962 Ferrari Abandoned For 40Years Sold For ₦55M In The U.k.(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.