Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation (3585 Views)

Stephanie Rose: I Would Rather Burn In Hell Than Worship A Monster Called God / The Catholic Pope Francis- There Is No Heaven Or Hell And Adam And Eve Not Real / Testimony Of Heaven And Hell And Rapture To Soon Happen By Pastor Rodolfo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 10:36am On Jul 22, 2014
Sure the way is narrow and few find it-- in THIS life.

Sure idolaters and unbelievers don't inherit the kingdom of God-- in THIS life.

Sure Jesus may say we never knew Him-- in THIS life.

Sure, most humans do not lead Spirit-led existences-- in THIS life.

BUT, BUT, BUT, what about this verse? "That in the AGES (plural) to come HE might show the exceeding riches of his grace and kindness toward us through Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:7.

Our "earth age" batting average may well be dismal in the here and now. We may in fact fail to exercise any faith during our time here. We may stubbornly reject His lordship, love and counsel here for several decades, maybe even a century if we have a long life.

But does that mean that we can reject God's irresistible love and wisdom for ALL the ages to come-- forever, and ever, and ever? Are we really THAT strong? Can we not at least envision the possibility that God will continue to minister to lost souls not ONLY in THIS current earth age, but also in all the future ages of grace and reconciliation to come?

Does 70-90 years of defiance really justify never ending eternal punishment? Can't we grant God some cosmic elbow room to perform salvific signs and wonders in the ages to come?

And, if even we aren't positive that God will do this, can't we humbly at least permit the possibility? Can't we allow for the notion that God's judgments just MIGHT be restorative and rehabilitative rather than wrathful and punitive?

Martin Luther, the father of the Protestant Reformation, certainly allowed for this possibility: "God forbid that I should limit the time of acquiring faith to the present life. In the depth of the Divine mercy there may be opportunity to win it in the future." Martin Luther's letter to Hanseu Von Rechenberg, 1522.

Perhaps if we really inclined our ear to hear the Lord's heart on this, we might also hear God likewise urging us "not to forbid" this blessed hope.

The belief that Hell is "ultimately remedial and restorative" rather than "eternally torturous" has been held by many others throughout church history. G. Campbell Morgan, nicknamed the Prince of Expository Preaching, and one of the great Bible scholars in Church history, summarizes this position beautifully:

"We cannot conceive of a Creator who knows the end from the beginning, one who is Love, who has infinite wisdom, and infinite power, giving to any being life, life which is never to end, but to continue in suffering to all eternity. THE BIBLE DOES NOT TEACH IT ANYWHERE IN THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGES. God's punishments are remedial and take place within the span of the ages during which he is accomplishing the making of man in His image and likeness. Punishment will last no longer than is necessary to bring man to hate his sin and be reconciled to his Saviour." G.Campbell Morgan Pastor, "Sermon: The Cross and the Ages to Come," Westminster Chapel, London.

Even if we can't be sure of this, can't we defang eternal damnation for now and at least hope for the possibility that God's ability to woo and win us is greater than our ability to eternally evade His love.

#FacebookLifted@Richard.Murray.1840

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 22, 2014
Op, be prepared to have the christains tear u apart when they see it.

2 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 11:03am On Jul 22, 2014
Zedric: Op, be prepared to have the christains tear u apart when they see it.
kikikikikiki cheesy cheesy I can only imagine.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by pickabeau1: 11:05am On Jul 22, 2014
mizcoli.. whats the point... is it your article or is it something you believe in
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 11:08am On Jul 22, 2014
pickabeau1: mizcoli.. whats the point... is it your article or is it something you believe in
No, its not my article, it belongs to Richard Murray @ https://www.facebook.com/richard.murray.1840.

It pretty much sums up what I believe as pertaining the issue of Hell and Eternal Damnation.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by pickabeau1: 11:12am On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: No, its not my article, it belongs to Richard Murray @ https://www.facebook.com/richard.murray.1840.

It pretty much sums up what I believe as pertaining the issue of Hell and Eternal Damnation.

Ok... the key question is not hell or damnation but Salvation
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by qstar(m): 11:14am On Jul 22, 2014
We are all going to "hells", just that some theists will go to one-less number of hells than atheists. grin

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 11:21am On Jul 22, 2014
pickabeau1:

Ok... the key question is not hell or damnation but Salvation
You are spot on cool
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: kikikikikiki cheesy cheesy I can only imagine.
as in eh. Nice write up though. Did u actually write that?

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 22, 2014
Speechless.. That's how I'm right now

2 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 12:11pm On Jul 22, 2014
Zedric:
as in eh. Nice write up though. Did u actually write that?

No, not me.......Richard Murray did.

I met him (Richard) at the time when I lost/let go of religion and labels. I even disbelieved in the existence of God. I was confused at how a god could be called good and yet murders people at will, infact.....this god murdered more people than "the devil'.........Richard made me think twice, what if God was no where in the picture during those times, what if satan did those killings and then the old testament people who saw satan as the left hand of God instead of the cosmic rebel that he is thought it was the "Lord" who ordered satan to do so. What if Jesus Christ came to reveal the true image of the father, seeing how its been muddied up? what if Jesus' dying had nothing to do with all the blood thirstiness and blood myth that surrounds it? What if God isn't angry with me as I've been taught all my life? What if God wants me to desist from a lifestyle of Performance based mentality?

I started experiencing true freedom when I began questioning all the things I believed in. Its heartening to know that I lost virtually all my beliefs....I even tried loosing belief in Love, but I couldn't. Love is the only thing I believe in now. Everything I've written here as it pertains beliefs can ultimately be traced back to Love. That's where I stand for now.

If religion were a necessity, like food, clothing water etc, then, Life and Love would be my religion. In our humanity lies our divinity.

shocked shocked shocked

Oh my! did I just write all that?!
Apatheist! I'm coming out of my closet!! shocked cheesy cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 12:48pm On Jul 22, 2014
To my Christian Friends

If we are going to renounce all wrath and physical violence toward other flesh and blood humans who are all made in the image of God, THEN we also need to include with that - righteous resolve to vanquish all verbal violence, tone-of-voice violence, and thought violence. It's a package deal. grin grin - Richard Murray.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 22, 2014
grin

I'll protect you from being stoned.cool

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 2:33pm On Jul 22, 2014
Apatheist: grin

I'll protect you from being stoned.cool
I'll count on you. wink

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by iamtewwy(m): 2:40pm On Jul 22, 2014
am already out of my closet tey-tey tanx to amanfrommars(r.i.p) cheesy apatheist qstar jerryberry and co, dat made me ask question dat could not b answered even by a pastor menh i just droped religion and today am a freeman even doing better than before. tanx sirs

2 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 22, 2014
I also stopped believing that there is anything like life imprisonment. undecided
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by mployer(m): 3:18pm On Jul 22, 2014
The Bible didn't say any of these. Its mere speculation, a costly risk.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by ayoku777(m): 3:30pm On Jul 22, 2014
iamtewwy: am already out of my closet tey-tey tanx to amanfrommars(r.i.p) cheesy apatheist qstar jerryberry and co, dat made me ask question dat could not b answered even by a pastor menh i just droped religion and today am a freeman even doing better than before. tanx sirs

RIP?! Is that a joke? What happened to amanfrommars ? Hope it is well.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by qstar(m): 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2014
ayoku777:

RIP?! Is that a joke? What happened to amanfrommars ? Hope it is well.

He deactivated his account.

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: I'll count on you. wink
cool
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 22, 2014
iamtewwy: am already out of my closet tey-tey tanx to amanfrommars(r.i.p) cheesy apatheist qstar jerryberry and co, dat made me ask question dat could not b answered even by a pastor menh i just droped religion and today am a freeman even doing better than before. tanx sirs
Glad I could help. cool
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Oduduwaboy(m): 4:02pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: Sure the way is narrow and few find it-- in THIS life.

Sure idolaters and unbelievers don't inherit the kingdom of God-- in THIS life.

Sure Jesus may say we never knew Him-- in THIS life.

Sure, most humans do not lead Spirit-led existences-- in THIS life.

BUT, BUT, BUT, what about this verse? "That in the AGES (plural) to come HE might show the exceeding riches of his grace and kindness toward us through Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:7.

Our "earth age" batting average may well be dismal in the here and now. We may in fact fail to exercise any faith during our time here. We may stubbornly reject His lordship, love and counsel here for several decades, maybe even a century if we have a long life.

But does that mean that we can reject God's irresistible love and wisdom for ALL the ages to come-- forever, and ever, and ever? Are we really THAT strong? Can we not at least envision the possibility that God will continue to minister to lost souls not ONLY in THIS current earth age, but also in all the future ages of grace and reconciliation to come?

Does 70-90 years of defiance really justify never ending eternal punishment? Can't we grant God some cosmic elbow room to perform salvific signs and wonders in the ages to come?

And, if even we aren't positive that God will do this, can't we humbly at least permit the possibility? Can't we allow for the notion that God's judgments just MIGHT be restorative and rehabilitative rather than wrathful and punitive?

Martin Luther, the father of the Protestant Reformation, certainly allowed for this possibility: "God forbid that I should limit the time of acquiring faith to the present life. In the depth of the Divine mercy there may be opportunity to win it in the future." Martin Luther's letter to Hanseu Von Rechenberg, 1522.

Perhaps if we really inclined our ear to hear the Lord's heart on this, we might also hear God likewise urging us "not to forbid" this blessed hope.

The belief that Hell is "ultimately remedial and restorative" rather than "eternally torturous" has been held by many others throughout church history. G. Campbell Morgan, nicknamed the Prince of Expository Preaching, and one of the great Bible scholars in Church history, summarizes this position beautifully:

"We cannot conceive of a Creator who knows the end from the beginning, one who is Love, who has infinite wisdom, and infinite power, giving to any being life, life which is never to end, but to continue in suffering to all eternity. THE BIBLE DOES NOT TEACH IT ANYWHERE IN THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGES. God's punishments are remedial and take place within the span of the ages during which he is accomplishing the making of man in His image and likeness. Punishment will last no longer than is necessary to bring man to hate his sin and be reconciled to his Saviour." G.Campbell Morgan Pastor, "Sermon: The Cross and the Ages to Come," Westminster Chapel, London.

Even if we can't be sure of this, can't we defang eternal damnation for now and at least hope for the possibility that God's ability to woo and win us is greater than our ability to eternally evade His love.

#FacebookLifted@Richard.Murray.1840
Sweetie, when you start thinking , you start straying. When you actually start being compassionate, you start doubting the very basis of your christian religion. Enough said.

5 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by uzoexcel(m): 4:04pm On Jul 22, 2014
between u and me, been a staunch catholic, and watchn the news,videos, reading the bible and koran inside out, listening to malcolm x, athiests, martin luther king,and all ; i wonder sometimes if religion isnt a toool to be used at times for nefarious activities....i v a milllion and one questions and am more confused than ever...the only reason i hate arguing is that most times i come against people who already have prejudiced opinions of where they stand and arent willing to argue 'both sides of an argument'..... undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

btw: did noah place the dinosaurs in his boat? what happened to them and why werent they mentioned seeing as God created everything?why do we have via carbon dating the ages of dinosaurs on earth as around 150million years ago while man came to earth according to calculations from the bible as less than 6000 years ago? what technology did the ancient egyptians use to build the pyramids/sphinz, irrigation etc when they were supposed to be prehistoric humans with little knowledge of technology?it is said by archaelogists that the technology used by the egyptians to build and craft perfect sized stones for the pyramids were not supposed to have existed in that era. Were the egyptians in contact with ancient and more sophisticated 'aliens? Does standing by the bible and koran reduce our imagination and creativity while making us lazy 'intellectually' especially as africans?

the gods which christianity urges us to do away with, is it not possible they might have actually existed? tales of thor/sango/ amadioha/ oranmiyan etc, how can we all say that they are false and they were all created from the imagination of our forefathers? For example the god of lightning and thunder, sango is also known in latin america and the carribeans as Xangô or Changó (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shango); sango is said wield a 'double-headed axe'. now contrast this to the scandinavian god Thor, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor) who also wields a hammer and is also known as the god of lightning and thunder same as sango and we can see distinct similairities. I dont think that two regions separated by large landmass and culture would coincidentally have similar gods. is sango/olodumare same or similar to Thor/Odin? Has the white man reduced our sense of appreciation that we would pay to watch Thor in cinemas but neglect our own sango?

Did aliens actually visit this earth years and years ago and our ancestors who for lack of more technical knowledge term them 'gods'. Lemme humour you more on this; if i was to get into a car or a motor bike and be transported back in time to the time of adam and eve or to the time of our forefathers who had little knowledge of anything and went about with bows and arrows, how would they describe me? One account of yoruba history lists oduduwa/oranmiyan as descending from heaven with a long chain when he arrived in ife? Now what if he had but with more intelligent means but due to the account holders lack of knowledge of technology in that era, described the device in his own way? in the book of revelations, is it not possible that the prophet saw a vision of the 20th century and landed in the middle of world war 1/2. How do you think the prophet wouldav been? For one he would have been terrified,scared and then with his little knowledge tried to document what he sees like armoured tanks, guns, jet fighters, airplanes, guns, skyscrapers in his own terms and little understanding.

Who made up the bible and the koran? is it possible there were more political reasons for adding and removing specific chapters/gospels? Was the aim of the white missionaries solely to save souls in africa/nigeria or was religion/islam/xtianity used as a hidden tool to rule africa?what was the position of the xtian missionaries and islamic arabs from the north on slavery? What about some of the atrocities in the bible which we xtians dont really talk about e.g daughters sleeping with their fathers? God ordering his people to 'kill anything that moved', take 'women/children as slaves'? We condemn the muslims by selecting some portions of the korans to condemn them but we xtians know that the bible has much worse quotations on killing. and IMO, seeing as the koran is an adaptation of the old testament, perhaps we should get off our high horse when talking this things with muslims. and if we are to say as xtians that we should discard the old testament due to the fact that God sent Jesus to die for us, is it to say that God realised he had made a mistake with Moses and so to correct his mistake, he sent Jesus to introduce a new convenant?But i thought God was omniscience?what was the bible's position on slavery? Are we to regard it as the sign of the times and since things have changed we should overlook that part?An old man from my villa once said to me years ago when i was talking about a saint to him. This old man who was quite learned asked me a question which left me quite flummoxed. He said, 'Why should i pray to a saint who lived and died in portugal/france/italy to intercede to God for him when he could pray to to his late great great grandmother who was a queen and ruled the village wisely and justly and who was logically geographically more nearer to him?

Is it logically true that as xtians all non xtians would all suffer in hell?Millions of muslims, chinese, indians are all doomed to suffer in hell before they are even born? Also muslims, what is the fate of non muslims? Are we all gonna die? Does that mean that if both faith was/is true, then i am condemned to die as a catholic by default? Even if i live a sane, righteous and non hippocritic life than most fake devotees, will i still suffer in hell? And traditionalists what is the fate of non traditionalists when they die? Jehovah witness, what is the fate of a deeper life person or a catholic person? I read the works of saint thomas aquinas and he said quite clearly, 'There Is No Salvation Except in the Catholic Faith'. Is this correct? What is the truth? Is there any truth at all?

https://www.nairaland.com/1824358/lets-us-brainstorm-learn-each

6 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 22, 2014
uzoexcel: between u and me, been a staunch catholic, and watchn the news,videos, reading the bible and koran inside out, listening to malcolm x, athiests, martin luther king,and all ; i wonder sometimes if religion isnt a toool to be used at times for nefarious activities....i v a milllion and one questions and am more confused than ever...the only reason i hate arguing is that most times i come against people who already have prejudiced opinions of where they stand and arent willing to argue 'both sides of an argument'..... undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

btw: did noah place the dinosaurs in his boat? what happened to them and why werent they mentioned seeing as God created everything?why do we have via carbon dating the ages of dinosaurs on earth as around 150million years ago while man came to earth according to calculations from the bible as less than 6000 years ago? what technology did the ancient egyptians use to build the pyramids/sphinz, irrigation etc when they were supposed to be prehistoric humans with little knowledge of technology?it is said by archaelogists that the technology used by the egyptians to build and craft perfect sized stones for the pyramids were not supposed to have existed in that era. Were the egyptians in contact with ancient and more sophisticated 'aliens? Does standing by the bible and koran reduce our imagination and creativity while making us lazy 'intellectually' especially as africans?

the gods which christianity urges us to do away with, is it not possible they might have actually existed? tales of thor/sango/ amadioha/ oranmiyan etc, how can we all say that they are false and they were all created from the imagination of our forefathers? For example the god of lightning and thunder, sango is also known in latin america and the carribeans as Xangô or Changó (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shango); sango is said wield a 'double-headed axe'. now contrast this to the scandinavian god Thor, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor) who also wields a hammer and is also known as the god of lightning and thunder same as sango and we can see distinct similairities. I dont think that two regions separated by large landmass and culture would coincidentally have similar gods. is sango/olodumare same or similar to Thor/Odin? Has the white man reduced our sense of appreciation that we would pay to watch Thor in cinemas but neglect our own sango?

Did aliens actually visit this earth years and years ago and our ancestors who for lack of more technical knowledge term them 'gods'. Lemme humour you more on this; if i was to get into a car or a motor bike and be transported back in time to the time of adam and eve or to the time of our forefathers who had little knowledge of anything and went about with bows and arrows, how would they describe me? One account of yoruba history lists oduduwa/oranmiyan as descending from heaven with a long chain when he arrived in ife? Now what if he had but with more intelligent means but due to the account holders lack of knowledge of technology in that era, described the device in his own way? in the book of revelations, is it not possible that the prophet saw a vision of the 20th century and landed in the middle of world war 1/2. How do you think the prophet wouldav been? For one he would have been terrified,scared and then with his little knowledge tried to document what he sees like armoured tanks, guns, jet fighters, airplanes, guns, skyscrapers in his own terms and little understanding.

Who made up the bible and the koran? is it possible there were more political reasons for adding and removing specific chapters/gospels? Was the aim of the white missionaries solely to save souls in africa/nigeria or was religion/islam/xtianity used as a hidden tool to rule africa?what was the position of the xtian missionaries and islamic arabs from the north on slavery? What about some of the atrocities in the bible which we xtians dont really talk about e.g daughters sleeping with their fathers? God ordering his people to 'kill anything that moved', take 'women/children as slaves'? We condemn the muslims by selecting some portions of the korans to condemn them but we xtians know that the bible has much worse quotations on killing. and IMO, seeing as the koran is an adaptation of the old testament, perhaps we should get off our high horse when talking this things with muslims. and if we are to say as xtians that we should discard the old testament due to the fact that God sent Jesus to die for us, is it to say that God realised he had made a mistake with Moses and so to correct his mistake, he sent Jesus to introduce a new convenant?But i thought God was omniscience?what was the bible's position on slavery? Are we to regard it as the sign of the times and since things have changed we should overlook that part?An old man from my villa once said to me years ago when i was talking about a saint to him. This old man who was quite learned asked me a question which left me quite flummoxed. He said, 'Why should i pray to a saint who lived and died in portugal/france/italy to intercede to God for him when he could pray to to his late great great grandmother who was a queen and ruled the village wisely and justly and who was logically geographically more nearer to him?

Is it logically true that as xtians all non xtians would all suffer in hell?Millions of muslims, chinese, indians are all doomed to suffer in hell before they are even born? Also muslims, what is the fate of non muslims? Are we all gonna die? Does that mean that if both faith was/is true, then i am condemned to die as a catholic by default? Even if i live a sane, righteous and non hippocritic life than most fake devotees, will i still suffer in hell? And traditionalists what is the fate of non traditionalists when they die? Jehovah witness, what is the fate of a deeper life person or a catholic person? I read the works of saint thomas aquinas and he said quite clearly, 'There Is No Salvation Except in the Catholic Faith'. Is this correct? What is the truth? Is there any truth at all?

https://www.nairaland.com/1824358/lets-us-brainstorm-learn-each
May whatever god you believe in bless you for being open minded.

4 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Kay17: 4:15pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: To my Christian Friends

If we are going to renounce all wrath and physical violence toward other flesh and blood humans who are all made in the image of God, THEN we also need to include with that - righteous resolve to vanquish all verbal violence, tone-of-voice violence, and thought violence. It's a package deal. grin grin - Richard Murray.

Thus where does man's capacity for violence, hatred and malice originate from? Wouldn't such qualities come from the supposed Creator?

And when you talk about Love, I must ask, what does Love really mean? Doesn't love sometimes lead to hatred?
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by uzoexcel(m): 4:15pm On Jul 22, 2014
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
imma have to steal ur dp...may use it later
Apatheist:
May whatever god you believe in bless you for being open minded.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 22, 2014
uzoexcel: cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
imma have to steal ur dp...may use it later
Okay. cool
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 4:25pm On Jul 22, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
Sweetie, when you start thinking , you start straying. When you actually start being compassionate, you start doubting the very basis of your christian religion. Enough said.
errmm.....NewsFlash! I no longer qualify as a christian [A Nigerian one at least]........so you're right, I started thinking, thus I strayed. I chose compassion over wrath, then I lost my christian religion. smiley God is too much, too big for one single religion to claim monopoly of Him. I'm shedding my religious scales yet I'll always believe in God.

3 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by uzoexcel(m): 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2014
ditto here...tot i was d only one cheesy
MizMyColi: errmm.....NewsFlash! I no longer qualify as a christian [A Nigerian one at least]........so you're right, I started thinking, thus I strayed. I chose compassion over wrath, then I lost my christian religion. smiley God is too much, too big for one single religion to claim monopoly of Him. I'm shedding my religious scales yet I'll always believe in God.

2 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by pickabeau1: 4:31pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: errmm.....NewsFlash! I no longer qualify as a christian [A Nigerian one at least]........so you're right, I started thinking, thus I strayed. I chose compassion over wrath, then I lost my christian religion. smiley God is too much, too big for one single religion to claim monopoly of Him. I'm shedding my religious scales yet I'll always believe in God.

interesting.... why do u qualify Nigerian at least?

why do you christianity is a religion of wrath and not compassion
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 4:32pm On Jul 22, 2014
Kay17:

Thus where does man's capacity for violence, hatred and malice originate from? Wouldn't such qualities come from the supposed Creator?

It certainly doesn't come from THE CREATOR, for in him there is no darkness, neither shadow of turning. Any god who has such violent capacity must be my devil.

And when you talk about Love, I must ask, what does Love really mean? Doesn't love sometimes lead to hatred?

No, True love which finds its perfect expression in My God doesn't. If you can, please read 1st Corinthians 13.

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 4:38pm On Jul 22, 2014
pickabeau1:

interesting.... why do u qualify Nigerian at least?

why do you christianity is a religion of wrath and not compassion
For Starters, the average Nigerian Christian doesn't believe that all will be saved, eventually. He isn't encouraged to reach out to others regardless of their belief, sexual orientation or unbelief. He is made to think that God is only pleased and blesses him when he lives a "righteous" life and condemns him to eternal damnation when he commits even the slightest sin before death and couldn't ask for forgiveness angry. Christianity in Nigeria is Performance Based. I haven't been outside this country, so I can't say what its like out there. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If God Knew That Adam And Eve Would Sin, Why Did He Create Them? / Islamic Paradise Of Sex, Sin And Sensuality / 2023: Exclusive! TB Joshua's Prophecy Concerning APC,PDP( VIDEO )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.