Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House (2144 Views)

Obasanjo Rubbishes National Assembly, Says It’s An Assembly Of Thieves, Looters / Breaking News: Enugu Assembly Begins Impeachment Process Against Dep Gov / Enugu Assembly Passes Bill Banning Okada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by unuane1(m): 10:17am On Jul 23, 2014
The Assembly also accuses Mr. Onyebuchi of
obstructing the smooth running of government
for disobeying Governor Chime
The Enugu State House of Assembly on Tuesday
said the state deputy governor, Sunday
Onyebuchi, does not deserve to remain in office
for operating a poultry farm within his official
quarters and obstructing the smooth running of
government in other ways.
The 22-member legislature had on Monday
morning served impeachment notice on the
deputy governor.
Among the charges against Mr. Onyebuchi is the
operation of a livestock and poultry farms within
residential areas in Enugu.
According to the impeachment notice, the
lawmakers said by a resolution they passed on
February 12, 2013, the House “prohibited the
maintenance and operation of a commercial
livestock and poultry farms within residential
neighbourhoods in Enugu Metropolis in
promotion of public health standards”.
They said Mr. Onyebuchi declined to obey the
directives of government’s officials who came to
his official premises to monitor the resolution.
The notice read in parts: “Consequent upon the
intimidation of the relevant officials of the
government by the Deputy Governor in respect of
the matter aforesaid, the governor of Enugu State
(herein after referred to as “ the Governor via
letters with reference numbers : GHE/
CAO/31/239 and GHE/CAO/31/240 dated
24/12/2013 and 27/12/2013 respectively,
directed the Deputy Governor to relocate the
commercial poultry farm out of the premises of
his official residential quarters , which is also
within the general premises of the Government
House Enugu and adjacent to the Governor’s
office.
“The Deputy Governor further defied the directive
herein and in a most discourteous manner and in
utter disregard of the office of the governor,
responded via a letter dated 8/1/2014, insisting
that he would not relocate his commercial poultry
farm from the premises of his official residential
quarters.
“When the government through the appropriate
Ministries and departments relocated the birds
and cleared the premises of the noxious stench
emanating therefrom, the Deputy Governor
wrongfully deployed the resources and powers of
his office as deputy governor to invite the press
and openly castigated the government and her
officials, thereby impugning and denigrating the
authority and office of the governor and
embarrassing the government.”
PREMIUM TIMES is unable to reach Mr.
Onyebuchi as at the time of this report to
determine whether the poultry farm the
lawmakers complained about is indeed a
commercial one.
The lawmakers also said Mr. Onyebuchi
disobeyed the governor, Sullivan Chime, on
several occasions thereby violating Section 193
(1) of the Constitution.
They specifically noted in particular that in
March, the deputy governor refused to represent
Mr. Chime at the flag-off ceremony of the 2nd
River Niger Bridge, which was performed by
President Goodluck Jonathan.
“The deputy governor persists in his defiance of
lawful directives issued to him by the governor”
the lawmakers said, adding that Mr. Onyebuchi’s
attitude had affected the smooth running of the
government of the state.
Section 188 (2) of the Constitution says, a
governor or deputy governor may be removed
from office when a notice of any allegation in
writing signed by not less than one-third of the
members of the House of Assembly –
Is presented to the Speaker of the House of
Assembly of the state Stating that the holder of
such offices is guilty of gross misconduct in the
performance of the functions of his office detailed
particulars of which shall be specified.
The Speaker then shall within seven days of the
receipt of the notice cause a copy of the notice
to be served on the holder of the office and on
each member of the House of Assembly and
shall cause any statement made in reply in the
allegation by the holder of the office, to be served
on each member of the House of Assembly.
Meanwhile, analysts have been pointing at Mr.
Chime for allegedly instigating the impeachment
plot against his deputy over other issues,
including his ambition to run for Enugu East
Senatorial District seat.
They allege the governor is rooting for his Chief of
Staff, Ifeoma Nwobodo, to replace Mr. Onyebuchi
after which she (Nwobodo) would seek the
Senate seat to replace the incumbent, Gilbert
Nnaji, in the next year’s election.

http://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/165400-enugu-assembly-says-deputy-governor-must-go-for-raising-chickens-in-govt-house.html

Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:20am On Jul 23, 2014
Not enough reason for him to be impeached. I find this totally laughable and ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by b3llo(m): 10:22am On Jul 23, 2014
Sir you were elected by the people to bring development to them but you turned out to be a poultry farmer in Govt house. This is not right and what so ever judgement is passed against you get ready to Face it.
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Segadem(m): 10:26am On Jul 23, 2014
MzJackBaueress: Not enough reason for him to be impeached. I find this totally laughable and ridiculous.
I also find your comment laughable!

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by tallfish145(m): 10:27am On Jul 23, 2014
@ b3llo,ur judgement is biased

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by koboko69: 10:28am On Jul 23, 2014
This impunity seed Jonathan sowed....

if u sow mango.....you cant reap water melon.

If you sow impunity you will definitely reap impunity.

I hope Jonathanians will not come and start lamenting when Jonathan start reaping what he sowed.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by seanet02: 10:31am On Jul 23, 2014
b3llo: Sir you were elected by the people to bring development to them but you turned out to be a poultry farmer in Govt house. This is not right and what so ever judgement is passed against you get ready to Face it.
Mofo. Is there anything wrong with rearing fouls? Were leyin people yi o

3 Likes

Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 23, 2014
atleast raising chickens (for survival) is better than stealing billions of public funds

7 Likes

Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by solomakindees(m): 10:32am On Jul 23, 2014
Where were these clowning lawmakers during Obj's first coming when he encouraged everyone including governors to have gardens, poultry or piggery at their backyards? If the man stole money, thats another matter now he is about to be sacked for raising birds.
If chicken fleas will disturb anybody, no be the deputy and his family go catch "yoro"?!
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by b3llo(m): 10:32am On Jul 23, 2014
tallfish145: @ b3llo,ur judgement is biased
sorry for my judgement if it biased. I can't help it but laugh hahaha... Come to think of it, I think its not wrong to raise poultry on govt property.
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by chimerase2: 10:33am On Jul 23, 2014
Mtcheew stwepid accusation

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by b3llo(m): 10:37am On Jul 23, 2014
seanet02: Mofo. Is there anything wrong with rearing fouls? Were leyin people yi o
Douche bag, pls 'Fowl' is different from 'Foul'. Hahaha... They said goto school, you dodge classes to play game.
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by wirinet(m): 10:38am On Jul 23, 2014
If a governor is to be impeached for raising chickens in his official resident, what about a president that raises dogs in Aso rock? The animals are even budgeted for in our budget.

Clowns.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by ak47mann(m): 10:47am On Jul 23, 2014
Is true that the deputy gov is in trouble because of his poultry farm cool
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by blacksta(m): 10:59am On Jul 23, 2014
Mad men....I laugh - Let GEJ/impeachment train consume the nation.. grin
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Decibel: 10:59am On Jul 23, 2014
Wetin consign me wit Canckerworm matter? angry
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by kokoA(m): 11:07am On Jul 23, 2014
They need a good meal of chicken pepper soup.
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Randy100: 11:13am On Jul 23, 2014
interesting
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
The Allegations against him are ENOUGH reasons for IMPEACHMENT. Why will a Deputy Gov Disobey The Governor? Who da hell is he? Even Atiku Abubakar never declined official order from President Obasanjo at any time EXCEPT on Political issue.

Why will a Govt official convert public Property to Poultry Farm?

He MUST Be Impeached
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Silenzer(m): 12:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ndi Enugu abiakwa, my 2yrs old nice can make better excuse for the impeachment. I can't stop laughing *buhahahahahahaha*
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by NgeneUkwenu(f): 12:38pm On Jul 23, 2014
barcanista: The Allegations against him are ENOUGH reasons for IMPEACHMENT. Why will a Deputy Gov Disobey The Governor? Who da hell is he? Even Atiku Abubakar never declined official order from President Obasanjo at any time EXCEPT on Political issue.

Why will a Govt official convert public Property to Poultry Farm?

He MUST Be Impeached

Can you re-read what you posted?
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Izunwa(m): 1:08pm On Jul 23, 2014
The man is a humble and quiet personality based on the little I know about him. Just like the Governor himself, you will hardly hear that he says this or that. I thought the issue of poultry has been settled when govt officials cleared the farm. Sir, if you are disobeying the Governor as alleged then that's bad cause you of all pple should know Sullivan better than us that his action speaks more than his words. I only wish they could give you a soft landing, cos if the impeachment goes thru believe me, you are finished politically.
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by dayowunmi(m): 1:21pm On Jul 23, 2014
b3llo: Sir you were elected by the people to bring development to them but you turned out to be a poultry farmer in Govt house. This is not right and what so ever judgement is passed against you get ready to Face it.
What! Are u joking or u serious? So he keeps poultry is an impeachable offense now? Is he doing it as a business! He's just rearing it at the back of his official residence. Its obvious the governor is behind his travails and just looking for excuses to use in impeaching him. Nigeria is becoming a joke by the day. Impeachement must ONLY occur when someone is going against and above his CONSTITUTIONAL powers and all forms of mediation and consultation has been undertaken to make him desist yet he remains adamant, its then that impeachment may occur, not when someone is rearing chickens. The question is how much were this guys paid to institute this impeachment process sef! Cos this is not normal, at this rate they might start impeaching people for not shaving their beards.
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by freshness2020: 1:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
Poultry deputy Governor of Chicken Republic!
Btw oga deputi τ̲̅ђe government house is not a poultry farm for rearing chickens! Τ̲̅ђe reps should go back and settle their indifference not enough to impeach him!... E get wetin τ̲̅ђe man do τ̲̅ђe rep.
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Symphony007: 1:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
Houses of assemblies around nigeria are behaving like teens who just discovered masturbation. Something they had but never knoew what to use it for, tried it the first time. Feels so good!! Can't stop.
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Blackfire(m): 1:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
is this comedy section or politics section?
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by tandj: 1:46pm On Jul 23, 2014
Nawa for nigerian politicians.
From d head to the bottom, left right and center is damn self centered.
I hate politicians.
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by sirwilly1(m): 1:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
For those outside enugu arguing on this matter, you either keep quiet or get in touch from an insider. I don't think he's about to impeached because of poultry farming. I think it's a fight for superiority. Time shall tell the reason for the impeachment
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jul 23, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

Can you re-read what you posted?
The Deputy Governor's Major Offense was His BLATANT REFUSAL to REPRESENT The Governor in 2nd Niger Bridge Kick-Off... Which Contravenes the Constitution.

Also, resisting ORDER of the State Governor, when he was directed to clear the government house of his poultry.

The Governor of a State may, in his discretion, assign to the Deputy Governor or any Commissioner of the Government of the State responsibility for any business of the Government of that State, including the administration of any department of Government. ... Section 190(1),1999 Constitution(As Amended)

The Dep. Gov's action is tantamount to Gross misconduct and it is Impeachable

gross misconduct" means a grave violation or breach of the provisions of this Constitution or a misconduct of such nature as amounts in the opinion in the House of Assembly to gross misconduct. Section188(11), 1999 Constitution(As Amended)

Please tell me whether the action and inaction of the Deputy Gov is NOT impeachable
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by otil1: 2:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
It's not about chicken, peeps. Read below direct from Guv Chime himself.

Whatever. My view is that if the substantive head og govt can't trust his 2ic, then in the interest of maintaining healthy chain of command, that deputy must give way. Chime is no more comfortable with his deputy and the house will be helping the progress of the State by allowing him get someone he is comfortable to work with.

Guys, I'm no lover of Chime, cos of his sectional one-sided programmes but in this case, I beg to differ.

But guys, reading from him according to that report, I couldn't but feel that something is amiss. Am I alone?

Didn't sound like a man in charge of affairs.

Pls can someone confirm he's okay, serious.

I will highlight the sections. E dey somehow.

"However, in a swift reaction to the impeachment notice served on his deputy, Governor Sullivan Chime yesterday said he had given the deputy governor the option of resigning from his position before the commencement of the impeachment proceedings against him by the House of Assembly.
Speaking exclusively with THISDAY on telephone, Chime said before the problem between him and his deputy blew open, he had tolerated a whole lot from him all in a bid to protect “our common family, called the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)”.
He said rather than possibly accept the option of resigning and show remorse over his activities, the deputy governor remained defiant.

He said his deputy had severally engaged in acts aimed at undermining him as a governor, but he decided to turn a blind eye to his activities in the overall interest of the state.
He also noted that only recently, the deputy governor had assembled some council chairmen and warned them not to take instructions from him (governor) since “I had barely one year to leave office”.
“By the time I open my mouth, everybody will be shocked to know what has been happening between my deputy and I in the past years. It has actually come to a point where we need to know who is actually the boss because we can no longer work together.
“Let the House of Assembly do their job and see if indeed he is fit to remain as the deputy governor of the state. How can I ask my deputy to represent me in a meeting of the South-east Governors' Forum where the deputy governors of Anambra represented his governor; I think the deputy governor of Imo State also represented his governor and my own chose to go and play football saying that he was not informed,” he said.
He also dismissed insinuations that the impeachment proceedings had anything to do with the deputy governor's rumoured senatorial ambition for Enugu East senatorial seat.

“What's the link? We are saying he has refused to do his work and even had to tell me to my face that what is happening to him is because of his ambition. My brother, let me tell you clearly that it has no link. He has been going round Abuja telling people all manners of things, but by the time I open up, Nigerians will know that nobody else could take what I've taken from him,” he said.
Meanwhile, worried that the gale of impeachment is unsettling the polity, PDP has cautioned its legislators against joining the impeachment bandwagon."
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by otil1: 3:48pm On Jul 23, 2014
Can somebody please confirm that the Gov is fine and with his full faculties. I insist there is something sinister about this 'Gov say'.

Crucify me (as usual) but I don't trust that statement coming from the governor. First, does he have to clarify? That talking to press is unnecessary and has not even helped. Because, now we know its not about chicken and its not just about not representive governor. There appears to be a lot more. Again, this is a man known to avoid press like plague, answering directly to ThisDay, not his Press Secretary or Media advisers. I no gree.

I usually don't get excited about Chime because I am one of those that believe he ought to have spread development around the State instead of the beautification of just the Enugu city centre. But in this matter, if truly he doesn't want his deputy anymore, its just best to have him get someone he can work with. That is if he is the one talking

Let me examine some queer items.

"He also noted that only recently, the deputy governor had assembled some council chairmen and warned them not to take instructions from him (governor) since “I had barely one year to leave office”. eh! Onyebuchi did this O dikwa egwu. The Onyebuchi we all know cannot even summon a meeting of his ummunna talkless of the powerful mayors. They won't even agree to attend. I no gree

“By the time I open my mouth,...." [/b]This is gutter language. I don't believe Gov Chime will speak with such mannerism. An aristocrat blue blood, experienced lawyer, experienced governor like him I no gree

Meanwhile, does it not sound like he is offering a threat. I.e., in event that the impeachment fails.... he will then open his mouth Expose who?? Onyebuchi or who I say I no gree

[b]"My brother, let me tell you....."
what?!! which brother, ThisDay reporter. Never heard him talk like this. This is not Chime speak. Quote me. It is a phrase more suited to Chukwudi Achiefe, the press secretary or any media person working there, than governor. They fail that one!

"I think the deputy governor of Imo State also represented his governor and my own..." Think?!!! yes, he was not around to attend, but has he not been briefed to know for sure? And he "thinks", for a meeting always held in Enugu in his chambers. Ewoo. Ndi press unit, where is our governor?

Overall, it's very likely a cloned effort my his aides. So are we sure he is there and awake to things?

Gross misconduct is not taking governors instruction, I agree. But Onyebuchi was quoted in the press as saying he would not take instruction from a junior officer, meaning, that the instruction was not given to him by the governor, in person.

I will like to be proven wrong.

Let someone go check his bedroom o!!!
Re: Enugu Assembly Says Deputy Governor Must Go for Raising Chickens In Govt. House by chiimdee: 6:15pm On Jul 23, 2014
Please stop embarrassing and deceiving yourselves, what is the main reason for the impeachment. E techuzina onwe unu.

(1) (Reply)

Pictures From Omosede Igbinedion's Campaign Rally / Boko Haram: ‘IBB Disarmed The Military’---sen SALEH / PDP Labels Buhari A “semi-Literate Jackboot” That Will Lose Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.