Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? (1807 Views)

Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO / Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? / Does A Car Consume More Fuel When Idling Or When Speeding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 23, 2014
No cheating, Googlers (self included) yah all placed on notice grin

Everything being equal (not comparing brick SUV to svelte sedan), which one used more gas/petrol, driving with windows down and not using ac or with windows up and using ac. This is on the open highway where speed is relatively constant.

City "Thorn On Their Side" NG grin
Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
Lol... Definitely A.C. Shutting the windows reduces aerodynamic drag on the vehicle, thereby increasing fuel economy.

4 Likes

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Mohitto: 7:14pm On Jul 23, 2014
0rex: Lol... Definitely A.C. Shutting the windows reduces aerodynamic drag on the vehicle, thereby increasing fuel economy.
cool. then i have been doing the right thing without actually knowing d advantage

3 Likes

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 23, 2014
Switching ON your AC has been discovered to considerably manage fuel economy of vehicle better when compared to opening the windows which creates drags, causes the engine to work more to overcome such drags and air resistance and ultimately lowering fuel economy during highway driving.

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by sultaan(m): 10:00pm On Jul 23, 2014
On myth busters it was found to be almost the same

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by yungboss(m): 10:05pm On Jul 23, 2014
Easily when the windows are wound up, but again, the refrigeration system exerts its own work on the engine, since it draws power from the engine itself, it is a subsystem of the main motor.
so the functions of compression (and expansion) require power (drawn from the engine).
then the drag, from this perspective, which is resistance to motion by virtue of the movement of air across the vehicle (with its windows down), is another limiting factor.
so given these two circumstances, i am to a limit uncertain as to what the actual answer is to the Op's question.
air resistance i know, has this formula
Ra=Ka.A.{V.V}
Ka= coeff of drag
A = frontal area of the vehicle
V = speed of the vehicle
Op, am i permitted to search through my old text books for some education? grin

2 Likes

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by missdebs(f): 11:59pm On Jul 23, 2014
nd my mum keeps complainin hw ac finishes her fuel....mscheew *blasts ac 2 highest*

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by sultaan(m): 12:07am On Jul 24, 2014
yungboss: Easily when the windows are wound up, but again, the refrigeration system exerts its own work on the engine, since it draws power from the engine itself, it is a subsystem of the main motor.
so the functions of compression (and expansion) require power (drawn from the engine).
then the drag, from this perspective, which is resistance to motion by virtue of the movement of air across the vehicle (with its windows down), is another limiting factor.
so given these two circumstances, i am to a limit uncertain as to what the actual answer is to the Op's question.
Ra=Ka.A.{V.V}
Ka= coeff of drag
V = speed of the vehicle

OK Trac where have you been grin grin

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by yungboss(m): 12:16am On Jul 24, 2014
sultaan:

OK Trac where have you been grin grin
lolzz, Trac is from another world!
he has not been logging on, I checked his profile...last seen in January. I wonder what has happened

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 24, 2014
yungboss: Easily when the windows are wound up, but again, the refrigeration system exerts its own work on the engine, since it draws power from the engine itself, it is a subsystem of the main motor.
Ra=Ka.A.{V.V}
Ka= coeff of drag
V = speed of the vehicle

Damnit, I developed an immediate headache from reading that formula grin
Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by jodeci(m): 7:52am On Jul 24, 2014
yungboss:
lolzz, Trac is from another world!
he has not been logging on, I checked his profile...last seen in January. I wonder what has happened

I missed trac anyway,i enjoyed his often head on with Ikenna,to an extent his engineering analysis of automobiles
Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by yungboss(m): 9:13am On Jul 24, 2014
jodeci:

I missed trac anyway,i enjoyed his often head on with Ikenna,to an extent his engineering analysis of automobiles
there was also a time Trac v Somorin#1, slick and tyres, I got lost there...

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Marpol: 3:30pm On Jul 24, 2014
sultaan: On myth busters it was found to be almost the same

The difference was insignificant.
Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 24, 2014
yungboss:
there was also a time Trac v Somorin#1, slick and tyres, I got lost there...

Oh yeah I remember that episode.
Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Raymie(m): 6:59pm On Jul 24, 2014
On highway driving, AC. City driving btw traffic stops, window down. For me, AC. Can't stand dust on interior of car.

2 Likes

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by icemann(m): 3:32pm On Jul 25, 2014
Ra=Ka.A.{V.V}
Ka= coeff of drag
V = speed of the vehicle

So you are saying

Ra= Ka.A.V2

Even with my knowledge of mechanics I don't understand the formula oh. Please do explain.
Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by jodeci(m): 3:54pm On Jul 25, 2014
icemann:
So you are saying
Ra= Ka.A.V2
Even with my knowledge of mechanics I don't understand the formula oh. Please do explain.

Even when fun is obvious?
Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by icemann(m): 4:02pm On Jul 25, 2014
People do get confused on how drag is more when the windows are down. You need to have a creative mind to understand my explanation.

The air rushing into your car thorough the windows is pilling your car back Its like a Drogue parachute(chute used to stop jet fighters). That pull is causing the drag on your car. At the bottom of your back windshield there is a tinny gap the helps relive the pressure build up, but is not good enough.

Facts you need to know

Driving at 60MPH head on at a wind of 10MPH would give you a drag Equivalent of 70MPH ie what you would experience driving at 70MPH on a no wind day. (60-(-10)=70. Read Newtons laws of motion.

Wind tunnels are created taking the laws above to model air resistance. They don't have to drive at 150MPH to figure out what would happen. They just force air at 150MPH.

The faster you go with your windows down the more unstable your car is. The turbulent flow would fishtail at very high speeds. You know air resistance at high speeds make planes fly.

If you are really trying to save gas with no ac, you best bet is to buy a convertible.

* I am not here to battle anybody, if you think other wise do state your own claims nicely. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 25, 2014
0rex: Lol... Definitely A.C. Shutting the windows reduces aerodynamic drag on the vehicle, thereby increasing fuel economy.

And it's that simple.

Kudos for a simple and very easy to read answer.

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by inze(m): 6:20pm On Jul 25, 2014
Raymie: On highway driving, AC. City driving btw traffic stops, window down. For me, AC. Can't stand dust on interior of car.

@bolded, I thought i was the only one.

I don't drive with windows down
Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by yungboss(m): 8:53pm On Jul 25, 2014
icemann:

So you are saying

Ra= Ka.A.V2

that's exactly what I am saying,
I don't know if this was taught in elementary physics back then...but in thermodynamics, if you recall Bernoulli equation (expressing kinetic energy in the fluid,atmospheric pressure and gravitational effect),consider also the simple definition of force,F as P/A, acknowledge that
drag increases with air density, speed and the larger frontal area,
a few parameters substituted, and the resultant equation becomes what was stated.
I can't fully recall the exact mathematical bits and derivations now, but the equation for air resistance is correct. Maybe I'll work it out and revert...

3 Likes

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Kizyte(m): 11:21pm On Jul 28, 2014
missdebs: nd my mum keeps complainin hw ac finishes her fuel....mscheew *blasts ac 2 highest*
Don't be misled by some of the informations you find online. I've used my car with and without A/C and it's very obvious my fuel drain faster when running on A/C.

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 29, 2014
Kizyte:
Don't be misled by some of the informations you find online. I've used my car with and without A/C and it's very obvious my fuel drain faster when running on A/C.
This thread pertains to highway driving specifically. Driving around town with A/C will make your car consume more fuel.

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is More Fuel Efficient On The Highway Open Windows Or Ac? by Kizyte(m): 7:01pm On Jul 29, 2014
0rex:
This thread pertains to highway driving specifically. Driving around town with A/C will make your car consume more fuel.
Now I understand

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Motorcycles With V8 Engines / Little Crack On Windscreen [pics Included] Any Solution / Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.