Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. (1673 Views)

TB Joshua Official Statement On Misleading Report about the collapse guesthouse / Jim Iyke Delivered In Synagogue Church Of All Nations / Rude Things People Do In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by MizMyColi(f): 1:27pm On Jul 24, 2014

[size=14pt]17 things people report about their shedding religion journey:[/size]

1. You’re losing your religion but gaining your sanity.

2. Maybe you left church because it wasn’t helping you know God or grow spiritually.

3. You know you are on the right path but trying to explain that path to others is like nailing water to a wall, and you often feel misunderstood.

4. Your new life beyond religion isn’t quite as "defined" as things used to be.

5. You have twice as many questions as you do answers but strangely you’re okay with this.

6. Sometimes you doubt yourself, and crave a religious fix to make you feel better. [This is soo me cheesy]

[size=14pt]7. You desperately wish someone (anyone!) would just accept you where you are right now.[/size]

8. Oh, you long for just a couple of people you could sit down with face-to-face and talk with about all this stuff without the threat of judgment and condemnation!

9. On Monday you feel free, and on Tuesday you wonder if you are going crazy. [Present Here cheesy]

10. Christ without Christianity, truth without theology, and community without church makes complete sense to you but it also makes you a heretic among some of your former friends who avoid you online and in real life.

[size=16pt]11. You don’t know how to answer the question, “Are you a Christian?”[/size]

12. You refuse to divulge the books you are currently reading because you know it’s going to alarm the people who already think you’ve gone off the deep end.

13. You get nauseated when you hear Christanese.

14. You’re not sure where your Bible is.

15. Suddenly you’re liking the people who were previously classified as “them.”[now I know why I'm liking that guy whose moniker starts with an "A'" seconded by a "P" and ends with a "T" smiley grin cool]

16. Prayer is more an authentic and powerful desire for the liberation of others and contributing to it, rather than a magic God-wand to save the day.

17. Arguing and debating theology isn't interesting anymore.
[There, that's why I don't reply some quotes and mentions wink]

Does any of this sound familiar?

What would you add?

5 Likes

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 24, 2014

Suddenly you’re liking the people who were previously classified as “them.” [now I know why I'm liking that guy whose moniker starts with an "A'" seconded by a "P" and ends with a "T" ]
cheesy

cool

1 Like

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by MizMyColi(f): 2:52pm On Jul 24, 2014
"Religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there."
- Running Hawk, Lakota Nation

1 Like

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 24, 2014
a lot of these happens to me especially number 11. number 17 too 'cause i just don't like arguing with illogical fanatics.

@OP, you're getting there, do you know why? i checked your posts, i saw where you said[b] "No I'm not. Though my posts sound very christianese.......it might interest you to know that I no longer qualify as a Christian wink. I admit though, that I'm a very spiritual being grin

For now, I don't fit in anywhere. cool"[/b] are you scared?

[b]Shed religion where it is necessary for you, and keep moving forward. Don't get stuck in an anti-religion identity. There are bigger fish to fry than the drama of debating and arguing theology with people who represent views you left behind.

There may be times here and there when it is necessary to confront or respond to a destructive religious view that is before you, but don't go looking for it.

However much of your religious Christian past you have deconstructed and discarded doesn't mean it's now your job to incite conflict and controversy everywhere you go by setting everyone straight with your new and improved beliefs.

Very rarely (if ever) are you going to encourage someone toward a different way of seeing by doing this.

Do not get embroiled in this kind of contentious drama. If you have too much time and energy on your hands, perhaps focus on something like addressing the root cause of your suffering. By doing this, you will be aiding the liberation of all humankind. - Jim Palmer.[/b]

i hope one day you will realise the need why we need to be hostile to any religious indoctrinations.

As a scientist, I am hostile to fundamentalist religion because it
actively debauches the scientific enterprise. It teaches us not to
change our minds, and not to want to know exciting things that are
available to be known. It subverts science and saps the intellect-Richard Dawkins.

I am hostile to religion because
of what it did to Kurt Wise. And if it did that to a Harvard educated
geologist, just think what it can do to others less gifted
and less well armed.

Fundamentalist religion is hell-bent on ruining the scientific
education of countless thousands of innocent, well-meaning, eager
young minds. Non-fundamentalist, 'sensible' religion may not be
doing that. But it is making the world safe for fundamentalism by
teaching children, from their earliest years, that unquestioning faith
is a virtue-The God Delusion.

look at religious countries, how developed are they? see how people are living their lives just because sins, one god or the other, killings here and there(which is caused by those who call themselves 'religious moderates').
because of religion, people dont develop critical thinking because of fear of blasphemy
because of religion, people are intolerable of their fellow human beings e.g isreal and gaza
because of religion, the homosexuals are condemned to jail here in Nigeria.
because of religion, Christians expend more "moral" energy opposing abortion than fighting genocide. It explains why you are more concerned about human embryos than about the lifesaving promise of stem-cell research. And it explains why you can preach against condom use in sub-Saharan Africa while millions die from AIDS there each year. You believe that your religious concerns about sex, in all their tiresome immensity, have something to do with morality. And yet, your efforts to constrain the sexual behavior of consenting adults—and even to discourage your own sons and daughters from having premarital sex—are almost never geared toward the relief of human suffering. In fact, relieving suffering seems to rank rather low on your list of priorities. Your principal concern appears to be that the creator of the universe will take offense at something people do while naked. This prudery of yours contributes daily to the surplus of human misery.

pls reply i sent you an email. thanks

2 Likes

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by MizMyColi(f): 3:04pm On Jul 24, 2014
“Don’t use time and words carelessly – neither can be retrieved.” - Lecrae
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by MizMyColi(f): 3:10pm On Jul 24, 2014
[b]Shed religion where it is necessary for you, and keep moving forward. Don't get stuck in an anti-religion identity. There are bigger fish to fry than the drama of debating and arguing theology with people who represent views you left behind.

There may be times here and there when it is necessary to confront or respond to a destructive religious view that is before you, but don't go looking for it.

However much of your religious Christian past you have deconstructed and discarded doesn't mean it's now your job to incite conflict and controversy everywhere you go by setting everyone straight with your new and improved beliefs.

Very rarely (if ever) are you going to encourage someone toward a different way of seeing by doing this.

Do not get embroiled in this kind of contentious drama. If you have too much time and energy on your hands, perhaps focus on something like addressing the root cause of your suffering. By doing this, you will be aiding the liberation of all humankind. - Jim Palmer.

[/b]

1 Like

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by MizMyColi(f): 3:13pm On Jul 24, 2014
Peterken05:

Pls reply i sent you an email. thanks
Just Did.
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 24, 2014
Learning curve.
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Liveair: 3:52pm On Jul 25, 2014
MizMyColi: “Don’t use time and words carelessly – neither can be retrieved.” - Lecrae

True.
Don't worry about those 17 points, you'll get over them all, believe me.
Come to think of it, you now know both worlds!
From your previous posts, you are an intelligent person so the replies to some questions will come naturally.
As for No. 6, Detox isn't easy.
No. 11 is simply because of No. 6.
No. 12 is as a result of fear of rejection, i.e No. 7.
No. 14 is a NO! Keep studying the bible to know more and discover more evidence for yourself. Personally, there is no part of the bible i havn't read so can't be misled.
No. 15 Sure, people like Apatheist have been awesome!
NOW START LIVING YOUR LIFE!
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 25, 2014
Apatheist:
cheesy

cool
congrats, you have your first convert
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 25, 2014
MizMyColi I didn't know you abandoned religion entirely.

Now I know why you sounded confused.
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 25, 2014
krall: congrats, you have your first convert
Convert?
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 25, 2014
Apatheist:
Convert?
yes naa cheesy abi is it corn-vat?
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by uzoexcel(m): 4:09pm On Jul 25, 2014
i think u mentioned it all

18) once in a while u ask urself 'why its so perplexing for peeps around u to see ur views which are much more reasonable and sane'...u wonder if theres a collective hypnotism going on lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@apatheist grin grin grin grin grin
e be like say we don dey plenty o
MizMyColi:
[size=14pt]17 things people report about their shedding religion journey:[/size]

1. You’re losing your religion but gaining your sanity.

3. You know you are on the right path but trying to explain that path to others is like nailing water to a wall, and you often feel misunderstood.

5. You have twice as many questions as you do answers but strangely you’re okay with this.

[size=14pt]7. You desperately wish someone (anyone!) would just accept you where you are right now.[/size]

8. Oh, you long for just a couple of people you could sit down with face-to-face and talk with about all this stuff without the threat of judgment and condemnation!

10. Christ without Christianity, truth without theology, and community without church makes complete sense to you but it also makes you a heretic among some of your former friends who avoid you online and in real life.

[size=16pt]11. You don’t know how to answer the question, “Are you a Christian?”[/size]

12. You refuse to divulge the books you are currently reading because you know it’s going to alarm the people who already think you’ve gone off the deep end.

15. Suddenly you’re liking the people who were previously classified as “them.”[now I know why I'm liking that guy whose moniker starts with an "A'" seconded by a "P" and ends with a "T" smiley grin cool]

17. Arguing and debating theology isn't interesting anymore.[/b] [There, that's why I don't reply some quotes and mentions wink]

Does any of this sound familiar?

What would you add?

2 Likes

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 25, 2014
krall: yes naa cheesy abi is it corn-vat?
Missy is still a christian-- although a very liberal and progressive one.
I think she's a closet agnostic

1 Like

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Liveair: 4:14pm On Jul 25, 2014
Apatheist:
Really? Then you need to do little more...hahaha.
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 25, 2014
Apatheist:
Not anymore.
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 25, 2014
krall: Not anymore.
She still believes in Jesus and Yahweh.

1 Like

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 25, 2014
Liveair:
Really? Then you need to do little more...hahaha.
A little more what?

1 Like

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 25, 2014
Apatheist:
She still believes in Jesus and Yahweh.
do you?
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 25, 2014
krall: do you?
Not at all.
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by MizMyColi(f): 4:30pm On Jul 25, 2014
Good Afternoon All

Apatheist smiley kiss [Thanks for being here......the stone hurling seems kinda fun cheesy Krall thinks I'm a walking taboo cheesy cheesy]

Uzoexcel [I'm pretty sure you know that I know you off NL grin cheesy Its good to know that someone who lives opposite my house when He's in Nigeria sees things like I do. smiley

2 Likes

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Oduduwaboy(m): 4:31pm On Jul 25, 2014
@OP did you make the list yourself or you need to acknowledge a source?
I love no 13.
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by MizMyColi(f): 4:35pm On Jul 25, 2014
Liveair:

True.
Don't worry about those 17 points, you'll get over them all, believe me.
Come to think of it, you now know both worlds!
From your previous posts, you are an intelligent person so the replies to some questions will come naturally.
As for No. 6, Detox isn't easy.
No. 11 is simply because of No. 6.
No. 12 is as a result of fear of rejection, i.e No. 7.
No. 14 is a NO! Keep studying the bible to know more and discover more evidence for yourself. Personally, there is no part of the bible i havn't read so can't be misled.
No. 15 Sure, people like Apatheist have been awesome!
NOW START LIVING YOUR LIFE!
Thanks...... and Yes, I am living my life, its been awesome. There's been a few hiccups though, but I'd live this life again and an even better one, if given the chance.
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by uzoexcel(m): 4:38pm On Jul 25, 2014
wtf*********************************************************k
lemme see ur pishure again.....
abeg make dem no hear for house o cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
MizMyColi: Good Afternoon All

Apatheist smiley kiss [Thanks for being here......the stone hurling seems kinda fun cheesy Krall thinks I'm a walking taboo cheesy cheesy]

Uzoexcel [I'm pretty sure you know that I know you off NL grin cheesy Its good to know that someone who lives opposite my house when He's in Nigeria sees things like I do. smiley

1 Like

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by MizMyColi(f): 4:39pm On Jul 25, 2014
Oduduwaboy: @OP did you make the list yourself or you need to acknowledge a source?
I love no 13.
No, even though I've done some twerking, the concept isn't mine, its Jim Palmer's....... I included his name in the topic, I have links to his FB page in previous threads I've posted. You might wanna follow him. smiley
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Oduduwaboy(m): 4:39pm On Jul 25, 2014
MizMyColi: [b]Shed religion where it is necessary for you, and keep moving forward. Don't get stuck in an anti-religion identity. There are bigger fish to fry than the drama of debating and arguing theology with people who represent views you left behind.

Do not get embroiled in this kind of contentious drama. If you have too much time and energy on your hands, perhaps focus on something like addressing the root cause of your suffering. By doing this, you will be aiding the liberation of all humankind. - Jim Palmer.

[/b]
Great words!

1 Like

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by uzoexcel(m): 4:39pm On Jul 25, 2014
mizmycoli

cant c ur face undecided undecided undecided
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by MizMyColi(f): 4:43pm On Jul 25, 2014
uzoexcel: mizmycoli

cant c ur face undecided undecided undecided
LoL.......Its intentional. Ask uzo*lexis about me.......you'd be shocked!

1 Like

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 25, 2014
MizMyColi: Good Afternoon All

No one is hurling stones at you. And I don't think you're a walking taboo. Just do what you believe in.

2 Likes

Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by uzoexcel(m): 4:48pm On Jul 25, 2014
MizMyColi: LoL.......Its intentional. Ask uzo*lexis about me.......you'd be shocked!
Re: 17 Things People Report About Shedding Their Religion - Jim Palmer. by uzoexcel(m): 4:50pm On Jul 25, 2014
lol...it should be 'tweaking'....twerking gives it a whole new meaning grin grin grin
MizMyColi: No, even though I've done some twerking, the concept isn't mine, its Jim Palmer's....... I included his name in the topic, I have links to his FB page in previous threads I've posted. You might wanna follow him. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anointing From Israel / My Father Plan To Curse Me On My Wedding Day, What Can I Do? / Lord. My Fortress. RCCG Open Heavens. Sermon And Prayer Points By Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.