Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,745 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold (2595 Views)

Ifesinachi Abductor Abdul Released After Police Pressure From Powerful Quarters / Nine Pregnant Girls Arrested In Enugu After Police Raided Baby Factory (pic) / Okadaman Goes "Mad" After Police Arrest, Strips Himself Naked [PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:24pm On Jul 24, 2014
Click on the suggested link to see how the New York Police officers where involved in a fatal chokehold on Eric Gardner. The officer who is seen on video choking Eric Gardner has now been placed on modified assignment, where he has been stripped of his shield and gun.

Click on the CNN link for the video clip:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/07/21/vo-nypd-chokehold.daily-news-getty.html
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:39pm On Jul 24, 2014
New video shows police offered no medical help to unresponsive Staten Island dad Eric Garner; cop who used chokehold is stripped of shield, gun
A new clip posted Saturday shows an apparently lifeless Garner, with his head drooping to the side, surrounded by at least eight cops who just stand around or empty his pockets. NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo, caught on another video putting Garner in a chokehold, was assigned to work desk duty.

BY CORINNE LESTCH , ROCCO PARASCANDOLA , LARRY MCSHANE NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Saturday, July 19, 2014, 12:43 PM Updated: Sunday, July 20, 2014, 2:25

NYC PAPERS OUT. In a new video posted by a witness, Eric Garner can be seen on the ground after Officer Daniel Pantaleo (rear, green shirt and beige shorts) applied a chokehold. An emergency medical technician checks on an apparently lifeless Eric Garner before he was loaded onto stretcher last week near the Staten Island ferry terminal.

A defenseless dad, lying handcuffed and unresponsive on a sidewalk, received zero medical help from cops who instead just emptied his pockets, a shocking new video shows.

The seven-minute clip posted Saturday on YouTube shows an apparently lifeless Eric Garner, whose head droops to the side as at least eight cops stand nearby.

“C’mon, guy,” one cop says to Garner, the only thing on the video that suggests any of the officers was trying to help the Staten Island man. “Breathe in, breathe out.”

But Garner, on his side with his eyes closed, doesn’t move at all — even when the officer slaps him on the shoulder. The side of his head remains flat against the concrete, and his eyes never open.

At one point, another officer is seen taking a cell phone and a pack of cigarettes from the 43-year-old Garner’s pants.

Even after the arrival of an EMT four minutes into the video, no medical aid is provided to Garner. He’s instead just loaded onto a stretcher and wheeled off.

Cops say he was pronounced dead a short time later after arriving at a Staten Island hospital.

NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo, caught on another video putting Garner in a chokehold, is shown standing a few feet away and chatting amiably with a uniformed colleague.

Near the end of the clip, he gives a satiric wave to the person shooting the second video.

Pantaleo, an eight-year veteran, was placed on modified duty Saturday as cops and the Staten Island district attorney investigated the case.

Pantaleo was stripped of his gun and his shield and assigned to work desk duty. The police union immediately denounced the move as “knee-jerk” and “completely unwarranted.”

But detectives arrived at his Staten Island home Saturday afternoon, leaving about 25 minutes later with one box and three bags taken from the residence.

Officer Justin Damico, on the force four years, was also pulled off the street — but he was not forced to turn in his badge or his weapon.

Outside Damico’s home Saturday, an infuriated woman screamed at reporters.

“Get off my f------ property! F------ retards!” she howled. “One picture of me and I’ll sue you!”

Sources told the Daily News there were no signs of neck trauma, such as a crushed windpipe, on the heavyset victim.

Staten Island man dies after NYPD cop puts him in chokehold
A 400-pound asthmatic Staten Island dad died Thursday after a cop put him in a chokehold and other officers appeared to slam his head against the sidewalk,...

“There’s no indication this is death by strangulation or asphyxia,” the source said.

Another source said the likely cause of death will be a heart attack, although other actions — including the illegal takedown of Garner — “will probably go down as contributing factors.”

The city’s medical examiner would not confirm the preliminary findings.

Either way, Police Commissioner Bill Bratton was irate after getting a look at a video from the Thursday afternoon tragedy near the Staten Island ferry terminal, another source said.

The investigation will determine in part whether the cops were justified in their decision to jump Garner — and one source indicated they were not.

NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo was stripped of his shield and gun, and placed on modified duty Saturday.
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo was stripped of his shield and gun, and placed on modified duty Saturday.
“Tactically, very little was done right,” the source said. “The first two cops (Pantaleo and Damico) didn’t engage Garner ... They appear to know him. Do something to put him at ease.”

A sergeant caught standing nearby in the video could be nailed for “failure to supervise,” the source said.

Garner’s devastated wife, Esaw, collapsed in the arms of her family with a piercing wail Saturday at a Harlem rally organized by the Rev. Al Sharpton.

“Oh my God!” she shouted before tumbling.

The widow, along with Garner’s mother, daughter, and sister, sobbed loudly as Sharpton demanded justice for the family and the late father of six.

“There is no justification at all on this chokehold,” he said. “And there is clearly no reason, when a man is saying, ‘I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe,’ that you maintain this chokehold.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/nypd-chokehold-staten-island-man-eric-garner-stripped-shield-gun-article-1.1873033

Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:08pm On Jul 24, 2014
Updates:

New York City Police Commissioner William Bratton said his investigators have spoken with the FBI "to discuss their monitoring of this investigation," adding that he would "not be surprised" if federal prosecutors began their own civil rights violation case. The death last week of Eric Garner — which occurred after police struggled to arrest him on suspicion of selling "loosies," or individual cigarettes, the NYPD said — has drawn national attention. A video of the incident shows police apparently putting Garner in a chokehold while he says he can't breathe. http://yhoo.it/1lthgpy
More: FBI monitoring 'chokehold' death investigation: http://yhoo.it/1rzTorD
UPDATE: Funeral held for man who died in N.Y. police custody: http://yhoo.it/1tCUrVQ

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/20/justice/ny-chokehold-death/index.html
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:16am On Jul 25, 2014
Eric Garner VIDEO Killed By NYPD | Murder Of Innocent Man in Staten Island FULL + The Aftermath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jq4o-J5R88
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by oderemo(m): 11:24am On Jul 25, 2014
Lobatan.
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:03am On Jul 26, 2014
NYPD Cops choke Black man to death for selling a 50 cent Cigarette ! ... Extended Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajhpFT-lVZY
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:57pm On Jul 26, 2014
Eric Garner Laid To Rest While The Family Still Demands Answers And Justice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okyGIihVPoQ
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:00am On Jul 30, 2014
NYPD Attempts To Cover Up The Execution Of Eric Garner In Exposed Report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2eIAdAQjk4
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:30am On Dec 08, 2014
Updates on the Eric Gardner case

Eric Garner case: Video of chokehold's aftermath raises new questions

An amateur video recorded Eric Garner being placed in a chokehold by an NYPD officer on July 17, 2014. CBS NEWS

NEW YORK -- Much of the outrage surrounding the NYPD chokehold case focuses on the video of the takedown during Eric Garner's July 17 arrest.

But there's another tape showing what happened after Garner was already on the ground -- and it's leading to more troubling questions.

Garner said the words "I can't breathe" several times before he stopped talking. A second eyewitness video -- nearly eight minutes long -- shows what happened from that point on.

Play VIDEO

Unlike Ferguson, more public support for Eric Garner

You can see police prop Garner up on his right side, which officers say they did to help him breathe.

"Guys, clear the sidewalk... EMS is coming down the sidewalk," an officer says on the tape.

What you don't see is any apparent urgency on the part of the police, even though Garner would die less than an hour later.

"Sir, EMS is here, okay?" an officer tells Garner. "Answer their questions, okay?" A bystander says, "He can't breathe."

It's more than four minutes into the video before an EMS worker arrives and checks Garner's wrist for a pulse. She then checks his neck.

"Sir, we're here to help, come on," the EMS worker tells him. "We're here to help you."

Garner says nothing.

Play VIDEO
"I can’t breathe" goes nationwide in Eric Garner protests

An officer is heard saying, "He's breathing, he has a pulse." The EMS worker responds, "Yeah, yeah, yeah."

Nearly six minutes into the video, police and emergency responders roll Garner on his back.

Before Garner is put in the ambulance, the person shooting video asks why Garner never received CPR.

"'Cause he's breathing," an officer responds. "He's breathing?" the person says.

As Garner is taken away, the camera turns to Officer Daniel Pantaleo, who put the Staten Island father in a chokehold. A grand jury decided Wednesday not to charge him in Garner's death.

The video raises questions about whether the police and first responders tried hard enough to try and save Garner.

Play VIDEO
NYPD Commissioner answers “chokehold” questions in Eric Garner case

A medical examiner called Garner's death a homicide and said he died from the chokehold and "the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police."

An official from the police union disputes those findings and said officers were correct in turning Garner on his side and immediately calling an ambulance for help.

An email request to the NYPD regarding police emergency training went unanswered.

CBS News called the union president for EMTs and paramedics, Israel Miranda, who said that based on the video, more should have been done.

"There was a lack of initial intervention," Miranda said. "They were not aggressive. If they're not breathing, assist with their ventilation. This is something that is ingrained in your training."

The four EMS workers who responded to Garner are not with the New York City Fire Department's union. Two are back to work while the other two remain suspended.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/second-tape-of-nypd-chokehold-raises-new-questions-in-eric-garner-case/
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by marieolae(f): 9:33am On Dec 09, 2014
nobody cares about the black man
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 09, 2014
I watched the video some weeks ago, and it sickened me to the stomach. That chokehold has been banned a long time ago, and the officer still used it despite Eric shouting "I can't breathe" multiple times. Smh! The guy would not release the hold even when another cop tried to remove his hands.

He was trying to separate a fight on the street,He wasn't violent, he didn't restrict arrest, 4-5 police can't arrest 1 man gently without force. They're just cowards. cry

RIP Eric, I pray God grant your family the fortitude to bear the loss. #I can't breathe #HandsUpDon'tShoot #NoJusticeNoPeace #NoRacistPolice #
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:58am On Dec 09, 2014
marieolae:

nobody cares about the black man

Even the black man doesn't even care about their own plight? The dearth of contributions to this thread shows how we really care about our own brothers and sisters. undecided
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by marieolae(f): 12:15pm On Dec 09, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Even the black man doesn't even care about their own plight? The dearth of contributions to this thread shows how we really care about our own brothers and sisters. undecided
exactly, these topics are not making the fp. We r not fighting for our own race. It seems like nobody cares undecided the white man will always feel superior.
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by Mijuk(m): 8:05pm On Dec 18, 2014
Amefrica:
I watched the video some weeks ago, and it sickened me to the stomach. That chokehold has been banned a long time ago, and the officer still used it despite Eric shouting "I can't breathe" multiple times. Smh! The guy would not release the hold even when another cop tried to remove his hands.
He was trying to separate a fight on the street,He wasn't violent, he didn't restrict arrest, 4-5 police can't arrest 1 man gently without force. They're just cowards. cry
RIP Eric, I pray God grant your family the fortitude to bear the loss. #I can't breathe #HandsUpDon'tShoot #NoJusticeNoPeace #NoRacistPolice #

Hey you know there are arguments that the chockhold is banned by NYPD but not banned by the STATE!! Another argument is that the evidence provided in the jury was not available publicly that's why we make these judgments. I'd rather step back and here more about the arguments brought to the jury than to jump on the public bandwagon. The system is broken but we need to be careful what arguments we bring froward.
Re: Eric Gardner Dies After Police Puts Him In Chokehold by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:08pm On Dec 20, 2014
Mijuk:

Hey you know there are arguments that the chockhold is banned by NYPD but not banned by the STATE!! Another argument is that the evidence provided in the jury was not available publicly that's why we make these judgments. I'd rather step back and here more about the arguments brought to the jury than to jump on the public bandwagon. The system is broken but we need to be careful what arguments we bring froward.

What other argument could justify the heavy handedness used on Eric Gardner that we all saw on camera? Didn't you see the video?

(1) (Reply)

Cyprus International University Student Commits Suicide / Man Shares Photo Of SARS Police Officers Looking Like Armed Robbers / The Nigerian That Granted BBC Interview That Made UK Govt Ban Nigerian Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.