Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,215 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? (2549 Views)

Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. / Why Do Religious People Fight Science? / Question For Atheists And Religious People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by scarred9jan(m): 11:02am On Jul 27, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

You are quite dull.

"More likely" is the important phrase here.

Let me teach you basic maths and grammar.

A study of cows and intelligence
-there are 2,000 cows in Nigeria
-only 1,500 are smart
-out of the smart cows, 900 are brown and 600 are white

Following the above study of cows, I can say that intelligent cows are more likely to be brown. THAT DOESNT MEAN THAT ONLY 900 COWS OR A ONLY MINORITY OF COWS ARE INTELLIGENT
=============================================

Parallel to the cow analogy, just because intelligent people are more likely to be atheists it doesnt mean that only atheists are the intelligent people or that there are no intelligent christians.

So the 1% of atheists is no determinant of the total percentage of the intelligent people in nigeria

Oh boy.. See schooling.. Even I was being taught..
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 11:48am On Jul 27, 2014
scarred9jan:

cool
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 6:10am On Aug 05, 2014
scarred9jan:

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Guidette(f): 12:50pm On Aug 05, 2014
I think this post should lean towards atheism having a higher percentage of smart people compared to religions. Intelligence and religion are mutually exclusive. There is definitely no correlation between how smart you are with how religious you are. Intelligence is inborn and a factor of your environment. People born in a religious setting stagnate intelligence wise because religions do not want people to question scientifically but just believe in faith. Atheists are more likely to be more intelligent because they try to garner more knowledge and solve their problems rather than waiting for God to do so.
My 2 cents.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 6:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
Guidette: I think this post should lean towards atheism having a higher percentage of smart people compared to religions. Intelligence and religion are mutually exclusive. There is definitely no correlation between how smart you are with how religious you are. Intelligence is inborn and a factor of your environment. People born in a religious setting stagnate intelligence wise because religions do not want people to question scientifically but just believe in faith. Atheists are more likely to be more intelligent because they try to garner more knowledge and solve their problems rather than waiting for God to do so.
My 2 cents.

Well said!!

Are you italian by any chance?
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 05, 2014
Because atheists (and skeptics generally) are more evolved thus have better olfaction to smell out bullsh!t.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 6:47pm On Aug 05, 2014
Xcapist: Because atheists (and skeptics generally) are more evolved thus have better olfaction to smell out bullsh!t.

grin

No...that is pseudoscience, my dear.

Intelligent people are more likely to be atheist because intelligent people are generally sceptical and inquisitive, and atheism is in itself a sceptical position on God
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 05, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

grin

No...that is pseudoscience, my dear.

Intelligent people are more likely to be atheist because intelligent people are generally sceptical and inquisitive, and atheism is in itself a sceptical position on God
exactly.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Guidette(f): 9:08pm On Aug 05, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Well said!!

Are you italian by any chance?
Huh? Errrrmmmm..... Nope. Naija born and bred. Did you check my profile cos my picture is there. undecided
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 9:20pm On Aug 05, 2014
Guidette:
Huh? Errrrmmmm..... Nope. Naija born and bred. Did you check my profile cos my picture is there. undecided

the name Guidette.....i was wondering if you were an italian gangsta babe. That's what it means
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Macelliot(m): 9:26pm On Aug 05, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: But Satanists are the smartest.
AlfaSeltzer (satan is watching you) and Alfaselltzer (God is watching you)...
Who is who?
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 9:26pm On Aug 05, 2014
Macelliot:
AlfaSeltzer (satan is watching you) and Alfaselltzer (God is watching you)...
Who is who?

Dont mind the guy

Craze dey worry am
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Guidette(f): 9:47pm On Aug 05, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

the name Guidette.....i was wondering if you were an italian gangsta babe. That's what it means
Lol... Nah! I've just been watching too much Jersey Shore. grin
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 10:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
Guidette:
Lol... Nah! I've just been watching too much Jersey Shore. grin

#notAfanOfSnooki
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by BraveGuy: 1:32am On Aug 23, 2014
I just discovered that I was tagged on this thread in late July..... sorry that I lack the opportunity of time like the previous times, however, I will try to contribute when I have the chance.

To the thread's question.

Romans 1:22 gives the best answer, "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools," that is why you see so many "smart" people being atheists. What we sometimes call smartness is actually foolishness.

In the Bible, specifically from Genesis 2:22, we read, "And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man."

A "smart" scientist will question the truth of this Scripture, isn't it?

Then, see this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28746868
(if BBC would allow you, watch the video of how the doctors re-created the ears)

So, I conclude with these questions:
How "smart" are these surgeons?
Did they not borrow a leaf from God?

My point:
The SMARTEST scientist doesn't just believe there is a God, he FOLLOWS God.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 5:11am On Aug 23, 2014
BraveGuy: [s]I just discovered that I was tagged on this thread in late July..... sorry that I lack the opportunity of time like the previous times, however, I will try to contribute when I have the chance.

Romans 1:22 gives the best answer, "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools," that is why you see so many "smart" people being atheists. What we sometimes call smartness is actually foolishness.

In the Bible, specifically from Genesis 2:22, we read, "And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man."

Then, see this:
(if BBC would allow you, watch the video of how the doctors re-created the ears)

[/s]
[size=18pt]My point:
[/size]

That is demonstrably false. Elite scientists tend to be atheists generally
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Splinz(m): 7:08am On Aug 23, 2014
OP: Those you've referred to as the smartest, wisest and whatever, are actually the worse foolish set of people. Living in God's denial is the biggest foolishness of mankind. From the scriptural point of view, Paul says, "Because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their føolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools"- Romans 1:21-22. The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God"- Psalm 14:1. So OP, there's no better answer to the madness of atheists and others, apart from what God has said Himself.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 7:19am On Aug 23, 2014
Splinz: OP: Those you've referred to as the smartest, wisest and whatever, are actually the worse foolish set of people. Living in God's denial is the biggest foolishness of mankind. From the scriptural point of view, Paul says, "Because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their føolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools"- Romans 1:21-22. The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God"- Psalm 14:1. So OP, there's no better answer to the madness of atheists and others, apart from what God has said Himself.

You are saying this because you cant see the bigger picture- the bible is not divine nor is it the truth.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by RikoduoSennin(m): 6:23pm On Aug 23, 2014
BraveGuy: I just discovered that I was tagged on this thread in late July..... sorry that I lack the opportunity of time like the previous times, however, I will try to contribute when I have the chance.

Then, see this:

My point:

COOL. After looking at the thread a second time, I still try to understand the OP, is he saying what I think he is?

"Why are SMART people MORE LIKELY to be persons who 'BELIEVE THERE IS NO GOD' (Atheism)".

Is the above what he is portraying as a fact? Or Am I wrong?

Is he implying that ALL Atheist are SMART? Or Only SMART people are likely to become Atheist. How can being SMART rest solely on ones BELIEF (if there is a God or not), is that what we are calling fact?

Are we forgetting that Atheism is a religion on its own. ( It is a system of BELIEF and it has every trait other religion has).

1 Like

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 7:18pm On Aug 23, 2014
RikoduoSennin:

COOL. After looking at the thread a second time, I still try to understand the OP, is he saying what I think he is?

"Why are SMART people MORE LIKELY to be persons who 'BELIEVE THERE IS NO GOD' (Atheism)".

Is he implying that ALL Atheist are SMART? Or Only SMART people are likely to become Atheist. How can being SMART rest solely on ones BELIEF (if there is a God or not), is that what we are calling fact?

Are we forgetting that Atheism is a religion on its own. ( It is a system of BELIEF and it has every trait other religion has).

Good lord, you are highly unintelligent.

You couldnt even understand the op.

Worse, you commit the fallacy of claiming atheism is a religion!!
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by BraveGuy: 12:24pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
Good lord, you are highly unintelligent.

grin .... Btw, which "lord" are you crying out to, the lord of atheism or the Lord God you claim doesn't exist? grin grin grin

TheBigUrban2:
You couldnt even understand the op.

Worse, you commit the fallacy of claiming atheism is a religion!!

I agree with RikoduoSennin that Atheism is a religion. If it isn't, prove it!

1 Like

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 12:53pm On Aug 24, 2014
BraveGuy:

grin .... Btw, which "lord" are you crying out to, the lord of atheism or the Lord God you claim doesn't exist? grin grin grin

I agree with RikoduoSennin that Atheism is a religion. If it isn't, prove it!

I dont have to prove anything to you. The burden of proof is on you and RikudouSennin

You guys made the claim that atheism is a religion. Back up yer claims.

Religion-
1. A set of followed beliefs/practices
2. Organised practices and rituals
3. Deals with the spiritual
4. Worship

^^^
Explain how atheism fits into the 4 characteristics of religion
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by RikoduoSennin(m): 2:03pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

I dont have to prove anything to you. The burden of proof is on you and RikudouSennin

You guys made the claim that atheism is a religion. Back up yer claims.

Religion-
1. A set of followed beliefs/practices
2. Organised practices and rituals
3. Deals with the spiritual
4. Worship

^^^
Explain how atheism fits into the 4 characteristics of religion

Number 1: A set of followed beliefs/practices does it for me. Plus Oxford dictionary 3rd definition for the word "Religion"- "a particular interest or influence that is important in your(ones) life.

By the way, You who is very intelligent help me understand the OP in clear lame man language so that I may understand. Because why I raised to question there (on my post above) was to discern what he is saying. Even Scientist ask question, postulate hypothesis don't they. Those were my hypothesis on the subject matter, please help me understand without the insults, sarcasm and high and mighty attitude.

1 Like

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 2:07pm On Aug 24, 2014
RikoduoSennin:

Number 1: A set of followed beliefs/practices does it for me. Plus Oxford dictionary 3rd definition for the word "Religion"- "a particular interest or influence that is important in your(ones) life.

What are the sets of followed beliefs/practices atheists engage in?

The hook has been set.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 2:11pm On Aug 24, 2014
RikoduoSennin:

Seriously? It is a fact that intelligent people are more likely to be atheist (or at least irreligious). Numerous studies have confirmed this. The link is in the op that you didnt read.

And here is a basic illustration for your ignorant azz;

TheBigUrban2:

"More likely" is the important phrase here.

Let me teach you basic maths and grammar.

A study of cows and intelligence
-there are 2,000 cows in Nigeria
-only 1,500 are smart
-out of the smart cows, 900 are brown and 600 are white

Following the above study of cows, I can say that intelligent cows are more likely to be brown. THAT DOESNT MEAN THAT ONLY 900 COWS OR A ONLY MINORITY OF COWS ARE INTELLIGENT
=============================================

Parallel to the cow analogy, just because intelligent people are more likely to be atheists it doesnt mean that only atheists are the intelligent people or that there are no intelligent christians.

So the 1% of atheists is no determinant of the total percentage of the intelligent people in nigeria
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Aug 24, 2014
RikoduoSennin:

By the way, You who is very intelligent help me understand the OP in clear lame man language so that I may understand. Because why I raised to question there (on my post above) was to discern what he is saying. Even Scientist ask question, postulate hypothesis don't they. Those were my hypothesis on the subject matter, please help me understand without the insults, sarcasm and high and mighty attitude.

Atheism is not a religion. Using the third definition of 'Religion' in the said dictionary is lame.

I suspect you are joking though

1 Like

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by BraveGuy: 12:35am On Aug 25, 2014
It never ceases to amaze me that Man, with his tiny cranium, is always thinking he is smart enough to figure out the Infinite One!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
..... and then declare He doesn't exist. ..... Oh! What foolishness!!
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 5:23am On Aug 25, 2014
BraveGuy: It never ceases to amaze me that Man, with his tiny cranium, is always thinking he is smart enough to figure out the Infinite One!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
..... and then declare He doesn't exist. ..... Oh! What foolishness!!

You've finally run out of bullets. wink
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by RikoduoSennin(m): 7:55am On Aug 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Seriously? It is a fact that intelligent people are more likely to be atheist (or at least irreligious). Numerous studies have confirmed this. The link is in the op that you didnt read.

Thank you for putting it simple for me to understand. Every human have a measure of intelligences. So, the Op is saying " Persons with High intelligences are more likely to be "Persons who do not believe in any God" (Atheist).

The statement above links one believe in any God to one's level of intelligences, Directly proportional. This is what you call a fact. "There is nothing to talk here until man can prove God does not exist."

According to the OP, Man's intelligence makes man not to believe in God. Luke 10:21, Matthew 11:25, "At that time Jesus said in response: I publicly praise you Father, lord of heaven and earth because you have Hidden these things from the WISE and INTELLECTUAL ones and have revealed them to babes".

TheBigUrban2:
And here is a basic illustration for[b] your ignorant azz;[/b]

Me arrogance? Did any of my post strike you as me being arrogant? Who is arrogant, if not you who claim to be intelligent, yet you clearly ignored my plea, called me names. Intelligent people who can't express themselve without name calling, cursing or mightier than thou attitude. You call that intelligence. Intelligence measure by the amount of "word bullying" one can pull.

In Shaw Kan's voice - "You make me laugh!"

1 Like

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by RikoduoSennin(m): 7:56am On Aug 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

What are the sets of followed beliefs/practices atheists engage in?

The hook has been set.

A good question, a real Atheist can answer that for real. When you ask them (an Atheist) how did you become an atheist? Or how did you discover atheism? The honest answers to these questions reveal a "set of followed beliefs/practices/Particular interest or influence (science and philosophy).

Trusting implicitly in Science and Human philosophy is "FAITH"- check meaning. Athiesm have 'Sets of BELIEFS'- based on one's belief
s, it has its own "school of thought".

hifaif:

Atheism is not a religion. Using the third definition of 'Religion' in the said dictionary is lame.

I suspect you are joking though

No I am not, Atheism has line of thought, beliefs, element of faith in it, prove otherwise.

I will not discuss this again, since its not part of the thread. "Let sleeping dog lie" as it were.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 8:11am On Aug 25, 2014
RikoduoSennin:

A good question, a real Atheist can answer that for real. When you ask them (an Atheist) how did you become an atheist? Or how did you discover atheism? The honest answers to these questions reveal a "set of followed beliefs/practices/Particular interest or influence (science and philosophy) that is very important to their life. In the Science world, Atheism exist among close nit group of people who encourage others drop their own beliefs(other religion) for that of atheism back with scientific skeptism. In Nairaland, you mostly find atheism discussion where?- Religious section, where they try to convert persons to their beliefs and line of "Faith", Faith in Science and worldly reasonings/philosophy.

So atheism is now a religion of faith in science and worldly reasoning/philosophy?

With that, you have proven atheism is a religion?

1) No one has faith in science. People (both christians, muslims, pagans, atheists) study science. People accept scientific facts
2) Most Nairaland atheists are not even in the religion section, as we have found out. We find numerous atheists on the front page that are not regulars in the religion section.

3) Saying that atheism is religion of faith in worldly philosophy is an extremely fallacious thing to say. "Philosophy" is a very wide-ranging word. What the hell do you mean by "worldly" philosophy?
-Isnt it your christian pastors preaching material prosperity gospel?
-Dont christians apply the worldly philosophy of reaping and sowing?

In fact, religion is a philosophy itself...so when you say "atheism is religion of faith in worldly philosophy"....you are redundantly saying "atheism is a philosophy of faith in worldly philosophy"

I find you dishonesty and ignorance seriously disgusting

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Christian Should Convert To Islam Fast / My Baby Is Seeing Vision. Help / Do You Believe Witches Exists?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.