Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? (2550 Views)

Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. / Why Do Religious People Fight Science? / Question For Atheists And Religious People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by coogar: 11:55am On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
Some truth and a little falsehood in your comment.

There are geniuses that are religious....they just suffer from cognitive dissonance....they can compartmentalize their brains. They ratioanl when it comes to their jobs and education but irrational when it comes to their religious beliefs.

you can't be a genius & be religious. don't mix the two together. they cannot reasonably defend their religion cos there's no empirical evidence or statistical facts backing their religion. if you cannot defend a cause then how are you a genius?
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by MrAnony1(m): 11:57am On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

I will report you for trying to derail if you mention your Caucasian nonsense again. Not only is it false and racist, it is a strawman.

The thread is asking why it is a fact that intelligent people are more likely to be atheists or irreligious. We are not here to argue against facts but to find out why it is so. You have been warned
Lol, I really had to laugh when I read this.

Here you are stating a "fact" and implicitly suggesting from it that somehow it is better to be non-religious than to be religious. I am merely stating a similar "fact" that implies that it is better to be a white man than it is to be black but surprisingly you find that hard to swallow. How inconsistent.

I know that you are mad that I have exposed your poor reasoning. Here you are complaining and crying racism because it suggests that people's intelligence is based on race while totally ignoring the fact that you are doing something similar by suggesting that people's intelligence is based on their religious beliefs. What a hypocrite.

As I said earlier, you haven't shown a valid relationship between atheism and intelligence but you want us to merely assume that it is true and proceed to discuss "why".
Propaganda only works on fools my friend. Skeptics will always challenge your unfounded assumptions. It is ironic that you who claims to be a skeptic is suddenly uncomfortable and resorting to threats when others are skeptical of your position.

Please feel free to report to Seun or whoever you like. You've kissed his buttocks enough already. Perhaps he'll throw you a bone.

2 Likes

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 11:58am On Jul 25, 2014
coogar:

you can't be a genius & be religious. don't mix the two together. they cannot reasonably defend their religion cos there's no empirical evidence or statistical facts backing their religion. if you cannot defend a cause then how are you a genius?

A part time genius? grin grin
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 12:00pm On Jul 25, 2014
rationalmind:

How old are you? You remind me of my pre-teen years.

The problem is, you rush to reply without taking time to understand what one is saying.

I can't remember saying you implied 99 percent of Nigerians are not intelligent. I did say you implied 99 percent of Nigerians are not likely to be intelligent.

Using your own analogy, by admitting intelligent cows are more likely to be brown, you are in other words saying white cows are not likely to be intelligent.

Note that I didn't say you implied white cows are not intelligent.

There's a difference, no matter how slight, between the two.

Except that this is your own built up strawman and never what I argued.

PS: I just saw your last reply. Now that you re-read my post as against rushing, you got the point I was intending to make.

Using "less likely" would have been more apt.

Since that's settled, I'll be back with my response.

You are right....

angry angry angry annoyingly right angry
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 12:06pm On Jul 25, 2014
MrAnony1:
Lol, I really had to laugh when I read this.

Here you are stating a "fact" and implicitly implying from it that somehow it is better to be non-religious than to be religious. I am merely stating a similar "fact" that implies that it is better to be a white man than it is to be black but surprisingly you find that hard to swallow. How inconsistent.

Is your house made of straw? Because the amount of strawmen you throw is astonishing.

1) I put a fact from numerous studies (intelligent people are more likely to be atheists). I did not say that being non-religious is better.

2) If you feel that it is not a fact that intelligent people are more likely to be atheists, TAKE IT UP WITH THE NUMEROUS STUDIES THAT SAY SO
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists-according-to-analysis-of-scores-of-scientific-studies-stretching-back-over-decades-8758046.html
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by whatofyou: 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Do you have any experience with Japan? undecided

Atheism is simply the disbelief in god. A nontheist is an atheist.

Many Asians, especially the Japanese, Chinese and South Koreans, follow their ancestral religions out of tradition not belief.

An atheist can burn incense, pray at ancestors' graves etc but he or she will still be an atheist if there is no belief in God.

If an atheist does all these things and still believes he is 'unstained,' then I agree with Alfaseltzer. Atheists are confused; and satan is w(inning)atching...
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 12:15pm On Jul 25, 2014
whatofyou:

If an atheist does all these things and still believes he is 'unstained,' then I agree with Alfaseltzer. Atheists are confused; and satan is w(inning)atching...

it is not only unstained, it is umblemished.....mtcheww undecided
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by coogar: 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
A part time genius? grin grin

a part-time genius is no genius....he's bi-polar
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2014
coogar:

a part-time genius is no genius....he's bi-polar

lmao grin grin

Why naa?

Einstein too get some kind madness...
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by coogar: 12:22pm On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
lmao grin grin
Why naa?
Einstein too get some kind madness...

yes, his insanity is the type associated with geniuses. you cannot be that intelligent & not display some unusual attitude that normal 5 sensory organs will find difficult to understand.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by MrAnony1(m): 12:33pm On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
Is your house made of straw? Because the amount of strawmen you throw is astonishing.
You haven't demonstrated that you know what a strawman fallacy is.

1) I put a fact from numerous studies (intelligent people are more likely to be atheists). I did not say that being non-religious is better.
I also put a fact from numerous studies (intelligent people are more likely to be white than dark-skinned). I did not say being white is better. Who's fooling who?

2) If you feel that it is not a fact that intelligent people are more likely to be atheists, TAKE IT UP WITH THE NUMEROUS STUDIES THAT SAY SO
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists-according-to-analysis-of-scores-of-scientific-studies-stretching-back-over-decades-8758046.html
If you think that it is not a fact that intelligent people are more likely to be caucasians than negroes then please TAKE IT UP WITH THE NUMEROUS STUDIES THAT SAY SO.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/fury-at-dna-pioneers-theory-africans-are-less-intelligent-than-westerners-394898.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/140239668/IQ-and-Immigration-Policy-Jason-Richwine . Again, who is fooling who?
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by plaetton: 1:37pm On Jul 25, 2014
MrAnony1:
Highly advanced countries have a Christian historical foundation and a large white population. So what's your point?

This is false and disengenous and misleading.

First, what do you mean by advanced?
How do you define advanced from a historical context? . When exactly does a historical foundation begin? Does Nigeria, for example have a christian historical foundation?
Who are the advanced countries that have Christian historical foundation?
Was it Egypt, Summer, Babylon, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Ancient Bagdad?

And by the way, have you selectively forgotten the period of history known as the Dark ages, when christian churchmen ruled the known world?

MrAnony1:

And studies also show that white men on average have the highest IQ. So what's your point?

Lies lies lies.

Studies show that Asianl men, on the average, have the highest IQ.

MrAnony1:

Yet our greatest minds and our bravest men have been religious: Nnamdi Azikiwe, Ahmadu Bello, Obafemi Awolowo e.t.c. So what's your point?

Incorrect.

These men were prominent men in a religious society who had to live the pretenses of being seen as religious.

You forgot to add, that in their private lives, Herbert MacCauly, Azikiwe and Awolowo were Rosicrucians, students and followers of the Rosicrucian philosophies, philosophies that transcend, reject and even mock the very narrow dogmas of religion.
So, we know from whence their greatness came.

MrAnony1:

Why are intelligent people more likely to be caucasian? What's your point?

That is not correct.
We also know that poverty affects IQ.
A white person from a society that with less poverty is more likely to have better IQ than one who had more poverty.

MrAnony1:

Actually it was skepticism that led me away from atheism. So what's your point?

That is a contradictory statement.
First, religion belief is irrational,... something that I think you or another christian have admitted on this forum. It is based purely on having something which you call faith.
If you can believe everything that is written in bible as the true words of the creator of the universe, and then dismiss my comic books as fictional fantasies, then you are irrational, and therefore cannot be deemed intelligent.

MrAnony1:

A valid relationship has not been shown by you to exist between intelligence and atheism,

A valid correlation between intelligence and atheism has long been established. Studies after studies have affirmed this.
Google is your friend.

7 Likes

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 5:12pm On Jul 25, 2014
MrAnony1:

I also put a fact from numerous studies (intelligent people are more likely to be white than dark-skinned). I did not say being white is better. Who's fooling who?

If you think that it is not a fact that intelligent people are more likely to be caucasians than negroes then please TAKE IT UP WITH THE NUMEROUS STUDIES THAT SAY SO.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/fury-at-dna-pioneers-theory-africans-are-less-intelligent-than-westerners-394898.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/140239668/IQ-and-Immigration-Policy-Jason-Richwine . Again, who is fooling who?

Wow, you have lied and been dishonest so much that you dont even know when you do it; it is now a part of you!!

You claim that you have numerous studies that say that intelligent people are more likely to be caucasians than negores, yet you put up only two links to two articles (compared to my one link that referenced a decade of studies).

Your first link references a racist professor and not a study.

Your second link references a dissertation and not a study. Not only that, it is talking about IQs of immigrants from other countries (including white European ones).

I have reported you to mynd44 about your racist and false strawman.

#ignore mode.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Mynd44: 5:21pm On Jul 25, 2014
Bias based on skin color in a religious arguement? Smh

Guys, let's play nice please
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 5:23pm On Jul 25, 2014
Mynd44: Bias based on skin color in a religious arguement? Smh

be nice grin
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
Wow, you have lied and been dishonest so much that you dont even know when you do it; it is now a part of you!!
You claim that you have numerous studies that say that intelligent people are more likely to be caucasians than negores, yet you put up only two links to two articles (compared to my one link that referenced a decade of studies).
Your first link references a racist professor and not a study.
Your second link references a dissertation and not a study. Not only that, it is talking about IQs of immigrants from other countries (including white European ones).
I have reported you to mynd44 about your racist and false strawman.

#ignore mode.

You lost this one Logicboy. Anony is right and he only cited the "racist" IQ study in order to show the illogical nature of your OP. Skin color doesn't affect IQ and religiosity doesn't affect IQ.

Religion and stupidity might be bed buddies but that doesn't mean religious people are inherently dumber than atheists. Some atheists around these parts believe that aliens created humans, built pyramids and other random things, so stupidity is not exclusive to religion.
Religious people just find comfort and "the meaning of life" in their various mythologies and superstitions, but that doens't make them dumb. Religiosity is their reaction to the "absurdity of life" i.e a universe without discernible meaning or reason for human existence despite man's yearning for meaning.
Their life has meaning because "God bla bla bla bla bla bla...............bla". They find "God" better than the apparent reality that they are just one of billions of organisms on this planet that will eventually die and cease to exist.

Their religion might require them to believe and do some monumentally ret@rded things, but as you can see, most of them don't do the really dumb stuff.
Religion is just their coping mechanism.

3 Likes

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 25, 2014
plaetton:
Studies show that Asianl men, on the average, have the highest IQ.

Some spreading nonsense. It's this same type of nonsense that has people thinking that jewish farts smell like roses.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 8:25pm On Jul 25, 2014
Martian:

You lost this one Logicboy. Anony is right and he only cited the "racist" IQ study in order to show the illogical nature of your OP. Skin color doesn't affect IQ and religiosity doesn't affect IQ.

Religion and stupidity might be bed buddies but that doesn't mean religious people are inherently dumber than atheists. Some "atheists" around these parts believe that aliens created humans, built pyramids and other random things, so stupidity is not exclusive to religion.
Religious people just find comfort and "the meaning of life" in their various mythologies and superstitions, but that doens't make them dumb. Religiosity is their reaction to the "absurdity of life" i.e a universe without discernible meaning or reason for human existence despite man's yearning for meaning.
Their religion might require them to believe and do some monumentally retarded things, but as you can see, most of them don't do the really dumb stuff.

I cited studies...no where did I call religious people stuupid or inherently dumber than atheists. Please, follow Anony to create a strawman thread abeg.

I stated a fact- intelligent people are more likely to be atheists/irreligious. Same conclusions made
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 8:27pm On Jul 25, 2014
Martian:

Religion and stupidity might be bed buddies but that doesn't mean religious people are inherently dumber than atheists. Some atheists around these parts believe that aliens created humans, built pyramids and other random things, so stupidity is not exclusive to religion.
Their religion might require them to believe and do some monumentally ret@rded things, but as you can see, most of them don't do the really dumb stuff.
Religion is just their coping mechanism.

Furthermore, no one here said that religiousity affects IQ. You are either dull or just dishonest.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
I cited studies...no where did I call religious people stupid or inherently dumber than atheists. Please, follow Anony to create a strawman thread abeg.

You cited studies, Anony cited studies and I can also cite studies that prove that unicorns are, in fact, real.
Hell, I read things everyday and the authors "cite studies" to buttress their imbecilic notions. So keep citing.

TheBigUrban2:
I stated a fact- intelligent people are more likely to be atheists/irreligious. Same conclusions made

I state a fact- the "most intelligent" people are more likely to abstain from affirming or denying the existence of mythological characters like atheists and religious people do.

1 Like

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 8:35pm On Jul 25, 2014
Martian:

You cited studies, Anony cited studies and I can also cite studies that prove that unicorns are, in fact, real.
Hell, I read things everyday and the authors "cite studies" to buttress their imbecilic notions. So keep citing.

If you do not know what a scientific study is, keep quiet and ask gently.

You are embarrassing yourself. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
Furthermore, no one here said that religiousity affects IQ. You are either dull or just dishonest.

No, but your post implies that religiosity depends on IQ.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 8:40pm On Jul 25, 2014
Martian:

No, but your post implies that religiosity depends on IQ.

undecided

No, it just reads in your biased head that way cheesy
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
undecided
No, it just reads in your biased head that way cheesy

lol, so tell me, unbiased and erudite one, what is the point of your op?
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 8:42pm On Jul 25, 2014
Martian:

lol, so tell me, unbiased and erudite one, what is the point of your op?

undecided If you are still asking this question by now, you didnt read the op properly. undecided undecided

So much for intelligence...smh
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 25, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

undecided If you are still asking this question by now, you didnt read the op properly. undecided undecided

So much for intelligence...smh

Well, I'm not really intelligent. So tell me the point of your op, Einstein.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 8:45pm On Jul 25, 2014
Martian:

Olodostein, actually wink
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by MrAnony1(m): 8:22am On Jul 27, 2014
Mynd44: Bias based on skin color in a religious arguement? Smh

Dude, please read the arguments properly before shaking your head.
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by MrAnony1(m): 8:29am On Jul 27, 2014
Martian:
TheBigUrban2:

Olodostein, actually wink
......So this is how the conversation died out.

The question still remains: Dear Mr BigUrban, What is exactly is your point?

....crickets...
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 10:24am On Jul 27, 2014
MrAnony1:
......So this is how the conversation died out.

The question still remains: Dear Mr BigUrban, What is exactly is your point?

....crickets...

lol...the point is clearly stated in the op. You just want to derail with your nonsense questions........

TheBigUrban2: 1) Highly advanced countries have huge/significant number of atheists in their population eg (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland)

2) Analysis of scientific studies over a decade shows that intelligent people are less likely to religious

3) Nigeria is a religious country with few atheists (less than 1%) of the population, yet our greatest minds have been atheists/agnostics/skeptics (Chinua Achebe, Soyinka, Seun Osewa, Tai Solarin)

[size=18pt]So the question remains- "why are intelligent people more likely to be atheists"?[/size]

What is your own say on this matter of intelligence?

NB; I use "atheism" in the general sense to cover irreligious people, deists, agnostics, skeptics etc

(tags- Seun, Stricklymi, Reyginius, majaze1, apatheist tbaba1234, tbaba12345, deols, maclatunji, mynd44, ujsizzle, pastoraio, anony1, mranony1, braveguy, alfaseltzer, coogar, ihedinobi, texanomaly
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by MrAnony1(m): 10:29am On Jul 27, 2014
TheBigUrban2:
lol...the point is clearly stated in the op. You just want to derail with your nonsense questions........

So the question remains- "why are intelligent people more likely to be atheists"?
Lol, so you really don't have a point. You just have a loaded question. Ok I see. Good luck
Re: Religious People, Please Answer- Why Are Smart People More Likely 2 Be Atheists? by TheBigUrban2: 10:30am On Jul 27, 2014
MrAnony1:
Lol, so you really don't have a point. You just have a loaded question. Ok I see. Good luck

loaded? Why is it loaded?

Do you have a problem with the fact that intelligent people are more likely to be atheists?

^^^^

Or are the studies false?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jesus Resurrected Me Yesterday When I Died For About 3 Minutes!!!! / Bvn: Does My Wife Has To Remove Her Hijab? / Preach For Free Or Shut Up !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.