Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing (24883 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / The Science Of Manuka Honey / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by Atk1nson(m): 10:44am On Jul 26, 2014
francleanflexy: i dont really know where to post this but if its in the wrong place the admins should pls do the needful.

Every body know that if u put ur hand/finger into a soup it will become sour. ....
I dn't tink it's just ur finger, even dipping your spoon after a soup has been warmed can spoil it.
My theory- when soup is warmed, a thin layer of oil(frm d palm oil or groundnut oil) covers d surface of d soup. Dat layer of oil keeps bacteria causing spoilage in d air frm easily getting into d soup, however, once u insert ur finger or any oda object, it breaks d oil-layer, making d soup expose to bacteria-filled air, hence d more rapid spoilage.
Test this- open 2 tin tomatoes, use both half way. Cover d surface of one with cooking oil and leave d oda one(control) like dat. D one covered with oil can last for like 5days or more.
It also works for corn beef and sardine

1 Like

Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by rezzy: 10:55am On Jul 26, 2014
I'm glad i saw this. Some minute ago, my husbby entered the Kitchen and open my pot of okra soup and dip his finger to pick a meat, then i said, hum, if this soup get sour,
He told me it cant get sour. He said what makes soup get sour is saliva not the finger. After putting ur hands in ur mouth and den dip it back into the pot, the saliva in ur finger will have contact with the soup and makes the soup start digesting.

Hope this is true?
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by nanizle(m): 10:57am On Jul 26, 2014
Gynacologist: are u sayin tat our handz are filled up wif bacteria nd fungi?

yep. we've got microbes on our skin.
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 26, 2014
Ladies don't let guys finger yall cos there's bacteria and fungi on the finger... #Advice
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by edogho(m): 11:17am On Jul 26, 2014
mstik: Your hands are naturally covered with bacteria. Remember when the soup is cooked, the heat kills of all the bacteria that are possibly in it so when you dip bacteria infested fingers into the so pot, bacteria gets into the soup and they begin their work of decomposing and then by the next morning, it would have spoilt.
u saying we wash with dettol before fishing from d pot remember dettol kills bacterials grin
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by command01(f): 11:18am On Jul 26, 2014
soup gets sour when different people scoop from it using spoon and not not necessarily hand...who can do justice to this Pls?
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by edogho(m): 11:18am On Jul 26, 2014
OliverPin: Ladies don't let guys finger yall cos there's bacteria and fungi on the finger... #Advice
clown grin
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 26, 2014
JABB: Guys forget...if you cook a correct stew with vegetable oil and well fried.....I don't think dippin of hands wuld cause it to sour.just saying.... cool
we are talking abt soup not stew
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by abdulahi001: 11:57am On Jul 26, 2014
yousee:
I will like to know the soup that is being cooked at 393 Kelvin.

I definitely know that soup will boil beyond 110 degree C, because the pepper, oil,maggi,onion e.t.c will serve as impurities which will increase d boiling point and more so, O-H bond present in water makes it boil faster than C-H bond in oil and other ingredients of soup.
Well, my thoughts are theoretic, you can get a thermometer and get same quantity of water and soup and boil,for comparison. My #2kobo
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by femi4: 12:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
abdulahi001: This is my thought!!!

When soup is heated, there is vibration between molecules of C-H bond in the oil e.g(palm oil) which weakens the cohesive electrostatic forces between the oil and keep it fairly fermented, therefore retain it's warmness very well, but when opened reverse of the aforesaid is the case.
To me those saying bacteria/fungi are wrong because at a very high temp. of 393K or thereabout, no fungi/bacteria can survive living when trapped inside.
Na u dey wrong
Nobody put hands into hot soup, they only do when the temp has gone down and comfortable to accomodate germs/bacteria
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by xtervaganza(m): 12:40pm On Jul 26, 2014
Let me explain what may cause it from my little knowledge.......

When u warm your soup all or most of the bacterias that are supposed to make it sour/spoil will die due to the heat.

So when the soup cools off, the upper part forms a shield, like a blood clot on a wound, thereby shielding new bacteria's from entering the soup or reduces their impact on the soup

The finger u dip in the soup opens the soup, its like you left an outlet for the bacteria's to enter, like an open wound

By this(I think) the bacteria's would get in through the small opening and you and I know how fast they multiply and attack ur soup

Lol

1 Like

Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by epospiky(m): 1:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
Uhm...perhaps you should ask ur mum. I'm pretty sure must be the one who has cautioned you about dipping fingers in soup.#MYOPINION#
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by Jibsonified(m): 1:37pm On Jul 26, 2014
lilTunechi: According to jacques hindleberth, When soup is heated to a certain degree the heat rays evaporates and locks the eminent exposure to the fish or meat inside the pot..... Uhghh, I have no idea what I'm saying.! Sorry

I kinda imagined u saying this with a British accent... *laff wan kill me die*
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by Jibsonified(m): 1:41pm On Jul 26, 2014
edogho: u saying we wash with dettol before fishing from d pot remember dettol kills bacterials grin

Hmmm... so u go like put dettol as part of ya food ingredients b d@ oo... grin grin

and by d way.. no b bacterials... na bacteria
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by Jibsonified(m): 1:43pm On Jul 26, 2014
Atk1nson:
I dn't tink it's just ur finger, even dipping your spoon after a soup has been warmed can spoil it.
My theory- when soup is warmed, a thin layer of oil(frm d palm oil or groundnut oil) covers d surface of d soup. Dat layer of oil keeps bacteria causing spoilage in d air frm easily getting into d soup, however, once u insert ur finger or any oda object, it breaks d oil-layer, making d soup expose to bacteria-filled air, hence d more rapid spoilage.
Test this- open 2 tin tomatoes, use both half way. Cover d surface of one with cooking oil and leave d oda one(control) like dat. D one covered with oil can last for like 5days or more.
It also works for corn beef and sardine

Good and better Hypothesis.

Certified by Professor Jibson
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by Jibsonified(m): 2:11pm On Jul 26, 2014
abdulahi001: This is my thought!!!

When soup is heated, there is vibration between molecules of C-H bond in the oil e.g(palm oil) which weakens the cohesive electrostatic forces between the oil and keep it fairly fermented, therefore retain it's warmness very well, but when opened reverse of the aforesaid is the case.
To me those saying bacteria/fungi are wrong because at a very high temp. of 393K or thereabout, no fungi/bacteria can survive living when trapped inside.

Guy... Update! There are bacteria that can survive that, biko!... Thermophilic ones for that matter... but sha they cant find their way to ur stew... except stew inside active volcanic mountain...so no fear smiley
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by p4pako: 2:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
It is not the finger you put in the soup, but the bacteria on the finger you put in the soup.

A pot of soup you fiddled with your finger would not sour provided that it was sufficiently hot when you did it, because the heat still trapped in it would destroy the bacteria/fungus.

On the other hand, when warmed and allowed to cool down to room temperature before fiddled with your finger, would sour because the temperature in the soup was not hot enough to kill the germs.
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by OLAJADON: 2:18pm On Jul 26, 2014
francleanflexy: i dont really know where to post this but if its in the wrong place the admins should pls do the needful.

Every body know that if u put ur hand/finger into a soup it will become sour. In fact this is one of the first lesson every nigerian child learns; never put ur hand into the soup pot or it will go sour.
So now am kinda curious, what actually causes sourage In that situation?
Is it that wen ever there is human contact (flesh ) with soup it goes sour or that any disturbance to the surface of a soup after being warmed causes it ?
ur thoughts are welcome

2 me putting ur hand inside soup pot dnt realli mean spoilage it jxt 4 d purpose of hygiene, dey knw dat if dey tell d kid dat it is wrng 2 put is hand in soup pot, he might nt take it seriously but if u say d soup will spoil xpecially if it is his favourite soup den e wunt want 2 put his hand in d pot of soup
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by nwasteve(m): 2:31pm On Jul 26, 2014
Bacteria...ur hands are carriers.

simple!
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by emeralddayo(f): 2:37pm On Jul 26, 2014
agrovick:
foodie grin
aint like you shocked
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by braine(m): 3:02pm On Jul 26, 2014
Jibsonified:

Guy... Update! There are bacteria that can survive that, biko!... Thermophilic ones for that matter... but sha they cant find their way to ur stew... except stew inside active volcanic mountain...so no fear smiley

The same thing happens to the thermophilic ones when the soup cools down; they die off.
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by edogho(m): 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
Jibsonified:

Hmmm... so u go like put dettol as part of ya food ingredients b d@ oo... grin grin

and by d way.. no b bacterials... na bacteria
wouldn't be bad if u add dettol to ur soup, so t'will help d ministry longer grin d last time i checked, i no go school grin . dis typo tin will make me fail exam one day, chai.
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by jorrn: 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2014
Na wao
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by mstik(f): 3:49pm On Jul 26, 2014
you could as well cook with the dettol
edogho: u saying we wash with dettol before fishing from d pot remember dettol kills bacterials grin
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by edogho(m): 5:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
mstik: you could as well cook with the dettol
u will kill person o grin a little is enough to move d ministry.*winks*
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by spiralwedge(m): 5:51pm On Jul 26, 2014
marvelling:

Simple! Only two things can make soup spoil: bacteria and fungi. The length of time it takes to spoil depends on the physiochemical properties of the soup, the way its is prepared and how it is stored after preparation.

temperature too.
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by Neddyogu(m): 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
francleanflexy:
it seems like u dont understand what am trying to say.
When a soup it warmed, it can last through out the night but if some1 puts a finger in the soup it will spoil before morning y ?
bacteria on ur skin!
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by sambisa5: 8:56pm On Jul 26, 2014
tbagjames: Bacteria...ur hands are carriers.

But this is majorly with egusi soup!

If you like put your ten fingers in ogbonno or stew,,,,it doesn't affect it.
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by tbagjames(m): 9:01pm On Jul 26, 2014
sambisa5: ..

But this is majorly with egusi soup!

If you like put your ten fingers in ogbonno or stew,,,,it doesn't affect it.
Stew is made of more oil(vegetable to be precise) and that oil is more of a preservative. As far as i can remember, my mom doesnt use vegetable oil to prepare egusi soup.
LAST BULLET: stop dipping your hands in MOM's pot
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 26, 2014
make una wait make I talk angry make una wait make talk [i]make una wait make I talk angry make una wait make talk [/i]make una wait make I talk angry make una wait make talk
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by mecussey(m): 11:24pm On Jul 26, 2014
mstik: Your hands are naturally covered with bacteria. Remember when the soup is cooked, the heat kills of all the bacteria that are possibly in it so when you dip bacteria infested fingers into the so pot, bacteria gets into the soup and they begin their work of decomposing and then by the next morning, it would have spoilt.

lie lie...even if you use spoon collect sth from the soup, e go still spoil.
Re: What Is The Science Behind Soup Spoilage Due To finger.ing by mstik(f): 11:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
Den it must be a dirty spoon.
mecussey:

lie lie...even if you use spoon collect sth from the soup, e go still spoil.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Learn How To Prepare Afang Soup Here / Simple, Quick And Delicious Jollof Rice. Easy To Follow Steps (Photos, Video) / If You Could Only Eat One Food For The Rest Of Your Life, What Would You Choose?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.