Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,862 members, 7,821,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) (39428 Views)

5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians / 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(pics) / Things Foreigners Need To Know Before Travelling To Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Chamack: 11:24am On Jul 28, 2014
mariomakez: dis is our problem smiley we don't see our self's as one.we are Nigerians d content of d msg shouldn't specify all tribes . wink
You are one but some people are killing each other? Nigeria is an amalgamation of different nations, we are not one for now. So retract your statement biko.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Chamack: 11:31am On Jul 28, 2014
bidexmat: y igbo man go prostrate? U na get elders?! E lagba nle!Raini gare ku ai. Shashasha
"Obun riiku oko ti ran man!
I will pardon you for your ignorance.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Tunguy01(m): 11:34am On Jul 28, 2014
prophetone:

Which septic tank were you scooped out from?
dsame 1 ur generations scooped out frm .. Asshole !!!
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Chamack: 11:39am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh:

You are either ignorant or blinded by sentiments to deneil that no one in your tribe exibits those points your
layed out.

1. Most Nigerians I know home and abroad in respective of thier tribes, have bigmouths and talk at the top their voice.

2. I am a proud Igbo son from Abia to be precise & the last time I checked, we Igbos cook soups like Uwgu, Ukazi and Oha etc. with Palm Oil(red oil) so whats your point

3. Prostrating to greet elders may not be a significant part of an Igbo culture but it goes beyond the yourubas. Other tribes like hausa, Nupe, Igala etc. have their various ways of greetings.

You guys just look for ways to tribalize issues. Please give it a break for ones and go take a good nap
I am a proud Igbo son from Abia, please explain this cos I don't know the soup as you stated " we Igbos cook soups like Uwgu"
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by kurlz(f): 12:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
Kossyne:

Please Elaborate.
unlike the western world most of us finish school late and even look for job for a while, so we still depend on our relatives till our late 20s if not more.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by bidexmat(m): 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2014
Chamack: I will pardon you for your ignorance.
ode! I Don dey wait for ur lame reply. Bone tribalism nigga, u av little or no ragards for ur elders.( Nd that is if u av 1.) Its in u guys' nature. Even ur grandfather chinua achebe stated that fact in his book, "there was a country." His own ideology is that It has bin ur strength. I experienced it during ma service year in the east, so don't come here to start forming stephen hawking cos u might b da bigot. Anyways, even pigs play in the gutter and never see it as filthiness.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by jeunof: 1:08pm On Jul 28, 2014
Im belgian born in ivory coast
What i know about nigerian since childhood, is their greediness. We all like money but for nigerians, this love of money is toooooo much: nigerians can do anything for money. I do ask myself where this behavior coming from. At the same time, they are very religious. Nigerian can not make a sentence without God in it. So if you are not used to them, you will think that they are all christians.

And other thing, their greeting: yes as foreigner it's really weird; I remember in my secondary school, i had a friend from Nigeria and when sometimes we cross people from his country, he has to bow down almost in the ground. We always laughed about him. very funny.
But i like nigerians people, their skill to do business.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by mariomakez(m): 1:42pm On Jul 28, 2014
Chamack: You are one but some people are killing each other? Nigeria is an amalgamation of different nations, we are not one for now. So retract your statement biko.
am sure u are an Igbo man.u guys don't like Nigeria but we will Neva give u guys Biafra grin.me I see every body as one probably in d next 70yrs u also will cool
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by HumanPsycho(m): 2:02pm On Jul 28, 2014
Did anyone notice how the Youruba culture is used to characterize the Nigerian people.?
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: Most foreigners have misconceptions about Nigerians because they really do not understand how great we are. Being a Nigerian, I was curious about our general eccentricities and I decided to find out things foreigners find odd about us. Some of the answers I got are overwhelming and pretty hilarious.

Here are 10 things people abroad find weird about Nigerians:

1. Foreigners think Nigerians are noisy and loud.
Like seriously? I don’t believe Nigerians are loud and noisy; we are quiet and reserved people. If we sound loud or speak in high pitched voices, it means we are either having fun or you just stepped on our toes. Nevertheless, we love life and always want to have a good time.
Shut it! Nigerians are the worst noise-makers alive!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: 2. Yikes! They cook with Red Oil!
Foreigners believe we cook most of our meals with red oil (Palm oil). I met Cheng in China Town, Ojota and he expressed how he felt about eating food made with red oil. He said, “even though it was dreadful for me the first time I ate Egusi soup made with palm oil, I will never forget the delicious taste and aroma; now I eat Naija soups like a Nigerian”.

If you haven’t tasted soups or moi moi made with palm oil, cooked beans made with palm oil, you are seriously missing. These meals are utterly delicious!
Some of Nigerian food taste like medicines and smell horribly bad. I like a well fried DODO and Ewa (soybeans)though!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Chamack: 2:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
mariomakez: am sure u are an Igbo man.u guys don't like Nigeria but we will Neva give u guys Biafra grin.me I see every body as one probably in d next 70yrs u also will cool
keep lying to yourself, Nigeria is not a nation but amalgamation of nations. Let me remind you again
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: 3. They think Nigerian Languages sound weird
Nigerian languages are sweet and if you don’t understand it, you are missing. Many foreigners spend money to study our languages in Universities abroad. (You think say e easy?)
Igbo language sounds very disturbing to the ears like a revving super-bike. Maybe that is the reason why Nigerians are mainly seen as noise-makers who are from the ethnic group in their loud-mouths.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Chamack: 2:29pm On Jul 28, 2014
bidexmat: ode! I Don dey wait for ur lame reply. Bone tribalism nigga, u av little or no ragards for ur elders.( Nd that is if u av 1.) Its in u guys' nature. Even ur grandfather chinua achebe stated that fact in his book, "there was a country." His own ideology is that It has bin ur strength. I experienced it during ma service year in the east, so don't come here to start forming stephen hawking cos u might b da bigot. Anyways, even pigs play in the gutter and never see it as filthiness.
Do you have respect for elders? No what you are good at is greeting and not respect. If you respect your elders as you want me to believe, how come Bola Tinubu said that your Oba' s are useless except three Obas in yoruba land?
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: 7. Exchanging foods on special occasions

Exchanging foods with neighbours and friends on special occasion like Christmas or Ramadan serve as a token of our friendship, love and goodwill. I love this and I always look forward to it every year
Senseless post! Other people even do that better than Nigerians. Nigerians are stingy with gifts! Apart from doing it during burial ceremonies,birthdays, Christmas or in churches.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: 8. Nigerians are not polite and orderly

People abroad think Nigerians are not orderly because they jump queues or do not line up in an orderly fashion. Why waste time on the queue when it is every man for himself. Sometimes, the last shall be the first and the first shall be the last. Hehe!
The most disorganized human beings on the planet are Nigerians. We lead the world in that! From the top to the bottom there is no iota of organized settings.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: 9. Nigerians take education too seriously

People abroad do not believe in studying till you die! That is why they find it odd when they see a Nigerian who has a PhD and is looking forward to study for Litt.D, DSc or LL.d.

We take education too seriously because we believe that it is the key to having a fulfilled life. Though, things are changing – and Nigerians now believe that you can still work hard and be successful rather than studying for ages to become a successful person. However, education in Nigeria is important.
They like to study but most people aren't educated in the country. That is very sad though.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh: 10. Being a Nigerian is odd
Foreigners believe that everything about Nigerians is odd.

Hehe! We are odd and we like it that way! Makes me wonder why we have lots of expats in Nigeria. Some who have visited Nigeria want to visit again and again, hoping that one day, maybe they might become like us. Ko joor!

Do you find anything odd about Nigerians?
Possibly in your delusional mind you think so. The expatriates want your money because they are paid heavily for taking high risk in working in an environment like Nigeria. Keep making fool of yourself!
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 28, 2014
all4naija:
Igbo language sounds very disturbing to the ears like a revving super-bike. Maybe that is the reason why Nigerians are mainly seen as noise-makers who are from the ethnic group in their loud-mouths.
are you okay please?

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
all4naija:
Shut it! Nigerians are the worst noise-makers alive!
You wish angry

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by AspDrone(m): 2:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
Chamack: You are one but some people are killing each other? Nigeria is an amalgamation of different nations, we are not one for now. So retract your statement biko.
. Igbos una too mumu...do you think you are special than other 9ja tribes? Bleep Ojukwu abi na "oju iku" Bleep Biafra.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Chamack: 2:56pm On Jul 28, 2014
AspDrone: . Igbos una too mumu...do you think you are special than other 9ja tribes? Bleep Ojukwu abi na "oju iku" Bleep Biafra.
I don't talk to deranged fellows
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by AspDrone(m): 3:00pm On Jul 28, 2014
Chamack: I don't talk to deranged fellows
. No be chamack? Am not suprised. Up 9ja sha
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nobleval: You wish angry
Not that I wish. I mean it! grin
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nobleval: are you okay please?
Yes, I am! I am not being tribal. I am saying what I observe about Nigerians from that particular ethnic group.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Lordlexyy: 3:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
GodMode:

There is a difference between school and education.

Western countries take education too serious while Nigeria takes school too serious.
I 100% agree with you. Reason for plenty certificates but very few innovations. The parents are only interested in having their wards in school, graduating with certificates and paying no attention to substance, same with the gov't that magnify certificate above personal contribution. Is a rat race: the better your certificate, the brighter your chances of being employed.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by ceasare: 3:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
all4naija:
The most disorganized human beings on the planet are Nigerians. We lead the world in that! From the top to the bottom there is no iota of organized settings.
You can say that again bros.just yesterday I Was at a sweet sensation outlet to get bread I was asked to wait for about 45mins before the bread was baked to my amazement the customers would just came in about the time d bread was been taken out of d oven where the ones shouting '' will you answer me , I ve been waiting here 4 ages c'mon nyem 2 loaf dia etc.I hv 2 call the attendance's notice about the ongoings, what's the criteria hs using to attend to us all.is it based on how we came or how more we can be unruly or disorganized before I actually got attended to.......truelly we are not an orderly set of people.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
One of d best posts I've read in a while. Proud to be a Naija woman

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Chamack: 3:08pm On Jul 28, 2014
AspDrone: . No be chamack? Am not suprised. Up 9ja sha
Lol
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by adconline(m): 3:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
overhypedsteve: give it a break bro, why do you want to ruin such a nice thread. Nigeria have the world highest child illiteracy ratio? Is that what the op is talking about he is actually talking about the do or die passion we have for degrees and certs, or have you ever wondered why OBJ at his age went back to school, we re talking about two different things here. And i promise you that with recent development new stats may show a reduction in childhood illiteracy in nigeria, thank you.
Dream on! Naija always using outliers as average. OBJ is an absurd example. How about that child selling "pure water" on the street? Literacy level in Naija is 60%, meaning only 6 out 10 Nigerians can read and write. Nigerians you see abroad are the best Naija has to offer, but it doesn't mean that everyone in Naija is like that. About 70million Nigerians can't read and write.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 28, 2014
all4naija: Yes, I am! I am not being tribal. I am saying what I observe about Nigerians from that particular ethnic group.
cheesy
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nazcoj(m): 5:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
Proud to be a Nigerian

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Will Ambode’s 5000 New BRT Buses Solve The Lagos Traffic Challenge? (see PHOTOS) / UK Man Confronts Nigerian Neighbour After He Stopped Him From Using His Wifi / Commercial Bus Driver Crushes Motorist To Death In Meiran, Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.