Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend (8829 Views)

Who's More Gifted...Eric Catona Or Dennis Bergkamp??? / Check Out Dennis Bergkamp's Statue Outside The Emirates Stadium. / Zinedine Zidane:tribute To A Legend. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by Akolawole(m): 1:38am On Jul 20, 2006
This thread is purposely written to appreciate the good work of this great player.

From ajax to Inter and now in Arsenal. I will say the legend lives on.

There will be a testimonial for this man next saturday.

MY OWN OPINION

Football skills made easy, he didnt learn it, it was in his blood, enjoy your rest man.

Football lovers, lets hear your views about this great man.

Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by GUNNER(f): 6:03am On Jul 20, 2006
Dennis Bergkamp our non-Flying Dutchman is a Arsenal Legénd  kiss

A complete gentleman on and off the pitch who has been of great service to the club
he also scored some wonderful goals in the Red and White colours, blessed with sublime skills and great technique who could ever forget his "memorable goal" against the Argies at France 98!  wink

what more can i say other than Vielen Dank and Good Luck   grin

Tribute to DB10 @
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEXkik6Iuk or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VksKX4DHxs

His testimonial match against Ajax is on Saturday July 22 2006
Live on Arsenal TV,  K.O. at 5pm  cool

Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by ababoy1(m): 6:56am On Jul 20, 2006
Nice one Kola - He will be missed. A true legend
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by salehm(m): 9:20am On Jul 20, 2006
Thanks Akola cheesy Dennis Bergkamp is truly a legend lipsrsealed

Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by salehm(m): 9:23am On Jul 20, 2006
dennis

Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by Akolawole(m): 11:40am On Jul 20, 2006
I wonder how he plays his football.

According to Patrick Vieria, "he makes difficult things easy"

He can be likened to very very few players like Zola et al.

His phobia in flying affected Arsenal big time.
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 1:45pm On Jul 20, 2006
For me it was really important to get a similar sort of role that I had at Ajax where I was really happy playing behind the striker"
Dennis Bergkamp on playing in his favoured position

Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by rikkyjen(m): 7:45pm On Jul 20, 2006
@ Akola, I heard that thing about dennis bergkamps phobia for flying, but how does the guy travel back to Holland? Yacht or by ship?? shocked. Also i saw him at barca during the champ finals. ??
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 8:43pm On Jul 20, 2006
he'll travel by train grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by kitaun(m): 9:19pm On Jul 20, 2006
of course which other means would he have used
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 9:49pm On Jul 20, 2006
kitaun wat was that? tongue
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mrmayor(m): 10:29pm On Jul 20, 2006
The Man called Dennis Bergkamp was a gentle man in every sense of the word,he made it look easy,he made it look fun and scared the living daylights out of the opposition.He maybe non flying dutchman but he was all scoring dutchman.

Goodbye Dennis and thank you.

Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 10:42pm On Jul 20, 2006
Throughout his 11-year stay at Arsenal, Dennis has always been happy to talk to the media and he is as dignified during interviews as he is classy on the pitch.

Further down the page are classic quotes about Bergkamp from others in the game, plus a few offerings from earlier years in the Dutchman's Arsenal career. First up though are Bergkamp's
best quotes from last season:

August 2005
"In my mind the Premiership is the biggest but if when you look at your list of trophies and the Champions League is not on there then you want to win it. I am not the only one though. There are a lot of big players who have not won it and you don't come across the opportunity with a team who has a big chance too many times in your career. We'll see what happens this year but you need a little bit of luck to win it ."
Dennis on winning the Champions League

September 2005
"We felt aggrieved because we had a good view from the bench and he was always looking at the ball. It’s a situation where you want to control the ball and there was no intent to hurt him whatsoever."
on compatriot Robin van Persie's red card against FC Thun at Highbury

"He can show that he can put his head down, but he’s strong you know, he’s a good football player, an out-an-out football player, so as long as he’s on the pitch, then he can always show what he can do."
and on Van Persie's immense potential

November 2005

"I’m not sure yet, but it would be great to get the chance to play there. It will be nice to have some connection with the new stadium. I will have an idea what it will be like to play there because I don't think there’s any chance of another season from me."
on the possibilty of a testimonial at Emirates Stadium

January 2006
"Everybody wants to make something of this season for Highbury and all that. We need to focus and get the points now. It is not bad to make one step [back] and take three steps the next year but you have to be careful not to take two or three steps back because then you are going to struggle. That is the period we are in now. The spirit is coming back and the [injured] players are coming back too. It is just a matter of clicking, getting the games under your belt and climbing up the League."
on the Gunners' return to form

April 2006
"Someone mentioned at the training ground that there would be about 10,000 fans in orange T-shirts. I could not really figure out what it was, and when I came out for the warm-up, I thought 'whoa! — this is it then'. Orange has nothing to do with Arsenal or England, so it is good that they came out and supported me like that. I am just happy that apart from the whole day, it is nice to have come on and really been involved in the game, helping with the second goal and scoring the third. You have that feeling of being on the pitch and playing football. It is some time since I have had that now. Hopefully I can have a few more good moments like that and finish in a good way."
on Dennis Bergkamp Day at Highbury

May 2006"It was emotional personally because it was the end of my career, but saying goodbye to Highbury was a big thing as well. It's good to play football, especially here. It's an honour to play for Arsenal, to come on the pitch and show what I can do. I think when you're on the bench you're always hoping, if you're losing or if you're winning, you always want to get on. My team-mates know what I've done at Highbury and for Arsenal in general. They really respect that, they appreciate that and it shows what kind of players these are. They respect each other."
following the last-ever game at Highbury against Wigan Athletic

Bergkamp quotes

"Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me."
following his signing for the club in 1995

"At the time I played with him, I didn't think I would ever play with another quite like him. I really didn't think that his record would ever be broken."
on Ian Wright’s goalscoring record being surpassed

"If you look at the whole package, with what Thierry has, I don't think you can find that anywhere else. You give him the ball in the right place, and his acceleration will take him past any defender."
on the considerable qualities of Thierry Henry

"What a ball from Frank. Frank and I go back years. He used to do that when I was at Ajax."
on his last-minute winner for Holland against Argentina at the World Cup in 1998
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 10:46pm On Jul 20, 2006
here's wat other people,footballers,managers ect. had to say bout him

*a true legend* kiss kiss kiss

If Ryan Giggs is worth £20 million, Bergkamp is worth £100 million."
Marco van Basten

"enn doelpunt van een andrer planeet (It's a goal from another planet)."
Louis Van Gaal, former Ajax coach, describing one of Bergkamp's lobs

"He's one of the best players in the game today but he doesn't get the publicity. It might be because he is quiet off the pitch and does not make dramatic statements to the press and I think he likes it that way."
Arsène Wenger
"Can you not say he is the best player in the world right now? If there is a better one, then I have not seen him."
Wenger speaking at the start of the 1997/98 campaign

"If he were in 'Star Trek', he'd be the best player in whatever solar system he was in."
Bergkamp's former Arsenal strike partner, Ian Wright, speaking in 1997

"I have always said Dennis Bergkamp will remain the best partner I have ever had. He is a dream for a striker. He is not greedy — you saw that on the second goal [against West Brom on Saturday]. He could have just gone for glory because it was Dennis Bergkamp Day — but no. He dummied the goalkeeper, cut the ball back for Robert Pires who put it in the back of the net. The most important thing is the team. That is why I admire Dennis, and that is what he has been doing for a long time. I have always said he is the best guy that I have played with. Sometimes you have players who do not have to talk, you just have to watch them — and that is the case with Dennis. If you are in the game, on the bench or watching on TV, you want to learn then Dennis Bergkamp, with the way he can kill a team with one pass, is just amazing. He will sometimes do things out of nowhere."
Thierry Henry

"Nobody will ever forget Dennis Bergkamp - and everybody who will play in this position for years to come will be compared to Dennis Bergkamp. As much as Thierry Henry is a top target striker, Dennis Bergkamp as a provider was unique."
Wenger, once again
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by Grizzly(m): 7:04pm On Jul 21, 2006
Well i kind of liked Dennis,
thanx ballzi his leaving, cool
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by hucarson(m): 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2006
Dennis Bergkamp is the best player to have worn an Arsenal shirt.
He is calm,calculated and his vision and awareness is top-notch.

Bergkamp is not governed by goals but he takes pride in creating sublime passes for others to score.
He will forever be remembered as one of the greatest striker in the world.
The premiership will surely miss him.

@ Jackal,
I hope u r watching the testimonial game.
Tell me about it when u r through.
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by Jackal(m): 10:29pm On Jul 22, 2006
@ Hucarson,

The testimonial match was a delight to watch. I think the Gooners got things right for the 1st time cos the organisation was top draw.
They were able to bring virtually all the great legends that has played for Arsenal and Ajax in the past.
Players like Frank De Boer, Frank Rijkaard, Van Basten, Johan Cryuff, Kanu Nwankwo, Emmanuel Petit, Vieira(prodigal son) etc.
It was a nice match to see as Van Basten and Rijkaard impressed the most. Kanu also displayed some sublime skills and he was lucky to get a goal.
Henry was also a constant menace to the old Ajax defence that paraded Jaap Stam, De Boer etc.

The only blemish on the day was the way Arsenal fans booed Edgar Davids all through the match.
I guess twas because he plays for Tottenham.
Davids played as if he had something to prove and he almost scored when he chipped Seaman but he was brought down ferociously by an Arsenal defender.
On anutha day, the defender wld have seen red but the referee only gave a penalty.
De Boer squandered the penalty-kick as his shot went high over the bar.

The whole presentation was nice and i was happy Kanu made his mark.
Maybe Wenger should re-sign Kanu's contracts. grin
Dennis Bergkamp had a good match although he squandered good chances set up by Henry and Ian Wright.
Lest i forget,Van Brockhorst and David Seaman alsio featured.

I hope i have satisfied ur requirements. grin
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by slary(m): 12:33am On Jul 23, 2006
CONGRATULATIONS the Dutch master smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by otolorin(m): 12:41am On Jul 23, 2006
yeah  -  'tall ended well for a great player!

saw his testimonial match and - whoa, all dose guys shouldnt be retired yet - i mean ian wright, just check out his only touch on d ball, d good push-away to jaab stam, and also an inbound shot! i tink he should still be wearin a 9 in div 2- or maybe premiership sef.

marco van basten - dat guy's still got touch o - i tripped at his passes and crosses, still accurate at old age - cool.

marc overmar should still be a gunner - and to crown it all, kanu was back in the 'red' shirt with a winning strike - 1daful!

dat menzo keeper shouldnt av denied great dennis d goal at dat last minute - should hav allowed him a goal in his testimonial - dats wat i feeel sha.

it was all 1daful sha - even viera felt at home.

ray parlour, emmanuel petit, david seaman, even frank rijkaard were not left out.

dennis must have really bin loved!
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by Akolawole(m): 12:47pm On Jul 23, 2006
hucarson:

@ Jackal,
I hope you're watching the testimonial game.
Tell me about it when you're through.

Jackal:

@ Hucarson,

The testimonial match was a delight to watch. I think the Gooners got things right for the 1st time because the organisation was top draw.
They were able to bring virtually all the great legends that has played for Arsenal and Ajax in the past.
Players like Frank De Boer, Frank Rijkaard, Van Basten, Johan Cryuff, Kanu Nwankwo, Emmanuel Petit, Vieira(prodigal son) etc.
It was a nice match to see as Van Basten and Rijkaard impressed the most. Kanu also displayed some sublime skills and he was lucky to get a goal.
Henry was also a constant menace to the old Ajax defence that paraded Jaap Stam, De Boer etc.

The only blemish on the day was the way Arsenal fans booed Edgar Davids all through the match.
I guess twas because he plays for Tottenham.
Davids played as if he had something to prove and he almost scored when he chipped Seaman but he was brought down ferociously by an Arsenal defender.
On anutha day, the defender would have seen red but the referee only gave a penalty.
De Boer squandered the penalty-kick as his shot went high over the bar.

The whole presentation was nice and i was happy Kanu made his mark.
Maybe Wenger should re-sign Kanu's contracts. grin
Dennis Bergkamp had a good match although he squandered good chances set up by Henry and Ian Wright.
Lest i forget,Van Brockhorst and David Seaman alsio featured.

I hope i have satisfied your requirements. ;[/b]D

[b]Lord Jesus AGAIN!
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 1:01pm On Jul 23, 2006
@AKOLA wat did you mean grin grin grin grin

that match was really interesting i really enjoyed it

God bless you our non-flyin dutchmaster kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

we love you
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by kitaun(m): 7:30pm On Jul 23, 2006
muki dear,

can't u just read between the lines and decipher what akola was trying to point out !

the drama between jackal and hucarson again embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed grin grin grin
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 7:34pm On Jul 23, 2006
ah!!!!!!! well well well
kitaun if you want to talk bout multiple id's go to off topic tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

akola i thot bagoma said you guys shud seize fire i'll report this incident

we want peace
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by aykay(m): 7:41pm On Jul 23, 2006
i watched his testimonial yesterday, too awesome. so many great players came to show respect. the guy is just a genius. i'm a man u fan but u have to respect a legend when u see one.
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by kitaun(m): 7:45pm On Jul 23, 2006
muki dear,

u want to cause trouble abi shocked shocked shocked, oya satan get thee behind us ; did i mention anything about multiple ids, na wa 4 u o !,iwill report you to my pastor for spiritual cleansing grin grin grin
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 7:59pm On Jul 23, 2006
kitaun so now am satan angry angry angry angry wait till i catch you

you need spritual cleansin not me cuz you dont seem to know wat you want to say tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin

kit kit get behind me
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by kellorah: 8:11pm On Jul 23, 2006
undecided
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by kitaun(m): 8:13pm On Jul 23, 2006
muki,
       u are warned o, hmm, u remember that i have been nice to u in the past trials b4 me, if i grab u next time even jackal will not rescue you from my claws  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 9:32pm On Jul 23, 2006
what can you do or what would you do angry angry angry
thunder fire you for disrespectin an elder like me
by the time am thru wit you u'll regret ever postin bout me being satan
you 666 satan's agent on nairaland angry angry tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by otolorin(m): 8:20am On Jul 24, 2006
omo, na wah o!

from dennis bergkamp to 'double ids' to 'satan' to '666 satans agent'

i don tire o - gotta get rollin'
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by mukina2: 11:21am On Jul 24, 2006
@ otolorin kitaun wants to trouble me. he keeps hounding me all over NL .he's always posting where i av been,

@kitaun leave me alone o, ok tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend by toshmann(m): 12:44pm On Jul 24, 2006
@MUKY,

See ,this is the more reason why you should come over to where u'll never walk alone. where people cant continue menacing u.

come on honey, come to the red spirit safety zone

u'll never walk alone cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs QPR (3 - 1) - On 24th November 2012 / Liverpool Vs Fulham EFL Cup Semi-Finals (2 - 1) On 10th January 2024 / Arsenal Players Salaries List 2013-14contract Expiry Dates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.