Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,212 members, 7,815,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! (34058 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Set To Team Up With Lilwayne / Arsenal's Robert Pires In Lagos For Airtel-Sponsored Event (Pictures) / A Shamefull Disgrace To Team Nigeria! (4-0) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Mynd44: 8:45am On Jul 28, 2014
UjSizzle: What's good news about an American wanting to run for us? undecided
He probably just wants to prove himself to America that he is good
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Chidonc(m): 8:45am On Jul 28, 2014
sorry d guy no b gay oh
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 28, 2014
Okay.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by sammyjay3(m): 8:46am On Jul 28, 2014
Fresia01: dat guy shud come marry me if he is good, handsome and a good runner!!! cus am cute!!!
yea i'm better, i'm d most handsome, and i run faster than usain bolt...
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Jovie: 8:47am On Jul 28, 2014
so teamNigeria is now this attractive? Please Naija win all gold. Obama may even apply for naija passport smiley
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by alabiyemmy(m): 8:47am On Jul 28, 2014
BadBoy25: He sucks anyway .

Like u can do Any Better.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by AbuMikey(m): 8:47am On Jul 28, 2014
What am I supposed to feel?
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:47am On Jul 28, 2014
bambostic: http://makingofchampions.net/2014/07/28/another-american-robert-simmons-switches-allegiances-to-team-nigeria-commonwealth-games/

Watch out for the first ever appearance 25-year-old American Robert Simmons in Nigeria’s colours in the 400 metres at 11.46am – it is unlcear when and how Simmons switched allegiance to Team Nigeria, considering that he did not appear at the National Trials in Calabar in June, which should have served as the qualifiers for the Commonwealth Games. Omeiza Akerele finished 3rd at the trials but was part of Nigeria’s team at the World Junior Championships which just concluded in the US yesterday, so perhaps the decision was made for him to compete there instead!

For anyone arriving late to this party, there has been a lot of controversy surrounding Nigeria’s new American recruits, who largely dominated proceedings at the Nigerian Trials in June, particularly regarding their eligibility for the Green Passport of Nigeria, and whether they are good enough to win global medals for Nigeria. According to Simmons’ IAAF Profile, he has a PB of 45.19s set this season, which places him 18th amongst Commowealth Athletes this season, suggesting that though he is an improvement on Nigeria’s current quarter-milers who have struggled to break 46 seconds for some time now, he is unlikely to win a medal at these Games.

The question on his eligibility for the Nigerian passport is another one altogether. We will update you when we found out more about his switch!

Men’s 400m ROUND 1 TODAY

11.32am – Heat 2 - Salihu Isah (NGR No. 1, C’wealth No. 49) vs Wayde Van Niekerk (RSA, C’wealth No. 4)

11.39am – Heat 3 – Noah Akwu (NGR No. 2, outside C’wealth Top 50) vs Kirani James (GRN, Olympic Champion & C’wealth No. 1)

11.46am – Heat 4 – Robert Simmons (American – never competed for Nigeria previously! C’wealth No. 18)
which kind news be this?
The guy go win medal?
Last Bullet
A Nigerian can't join the American athletes like
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by kechywillz(m): 8:48am On Jul 28, 2014
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by alotofgrace(m): 8:49am On Jul 28, 2014
Obiagelli: good news,

Why can't one of these telecoms companies sponsor a telent hunt for athletes instead of all these Nigerian idol or project fame? We like to copy useless things in this country.
Do a talent hunt, discover young prospects, send them abroad to become world beaters and have the advertise your fast Internet connection when they are made. Simple logic.

now someone's voicing mi mind

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by BedLam: 8:50am On Jul 28, 2014

Why can't one of these telecoms companies sponsor a telent hunt for athletes instead of all these Nigerian idol or project fame? We like to copy useless things in this country.
Do a talent hunt, discover young prospects, send them abroad to become world beaters and have the advertise your fast Internet connection when they are made. Simple logic.
For the first time in a decade, you are making sense to my senses! A million likes!!!
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Wolison(m): 8:50am On Jul 28, 2014
Fresia01: dat guy shud come marry me if he is good, handsome and a good runner!!! cus am cute!!!
lols.....what an advert?......u dey look for husbanding#in funke's voice#
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by seedorfg(m): 8:55am On Jul 28, 2014
O gbo'lé, O gbo'le
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by ibietela2(m): 8:55am On Jul 28, 2014

Picture or ........

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by oladoya(m): 8:59am On Jul 28, 2014
Deuteronomy 7:15 "The LORD will take
away from thee all sickness, and will put
none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which
thou knowest, upon thee".

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by samseen02(m): 9:02am On Jul 28, 2014
kingjaja23: Or we bought him Transfers now occur in commonwealth games??
lol
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Stephen344(m): 9:12am On Jul 28, 2014
What's happening, am Nigerian but thinking of joining the American army grin grin
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Kk4(m): 9:15am On Jul 28, 2014
Funny how they come for our BEST and we go for their REJECTS. 9ja kwenu!!!

2 Likes

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Stephen344(m): 9:16am On Jul 28, 2014
Am Nigerian but thinking of joining the American army
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 28, 2014
Money has changed hand. angry hope he switch his nationality too. When we hear "american" we become foolish. Never heard of him. I doubt if he will achieve anything. There are better Nigerians out there. But heck!...he's American.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 28, 2014
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by jericco1(m): 9:22am On Jul 28, 2014
Yeah now It remains Bolt, I'm his role Model. wink
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by akpanikpe(m): 9:23am On Jul 28, 2014

I hope someone make this proposal to one of those companies, imagine Usain bolt as their brand ambassador for speed, its a win win situation.
Omg! Why not convert this comment as a thread topic under sport? and I bet is Gonna make front page.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by akpanikpe(m): 9:25am On Jul 28, 2014
Stephen344: Am Nigerian but thinking of joining the American army
Wey you suppos join our own here, and help us fight bh boys. We are short of men in sambisa grin

2 Likes

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by souleymon(m): 9:26am On Jul 28, 2014
I googled his name and couldn't find his picture
I then went to common wealth games site to search his name.na small pic I see,I was then directed to his Facebook page

https://m.facebook.com/ralpheal.simmons.7?_rdr

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by searay(m): 9:29am On Jul 28, 2014
Waiting for Bolt to become a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 28, 2014
This is bullsh*t, even some of the americans that switched to nigeria had strange links to the country (like great grandparents and so on), and some don't even know, in my opinion, it shouldn't be allowed in international sports
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 28, 2014
I wonder why he picked nigeria ? Anyways more medals for us grin

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Japlon(m): 9:34am On Jul 28, 2014
How can I get my comment on front page topics

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why The Golden Eaglet Will Not Lift The Trophy In Chile. / Ronaldo Covers Ballon D'or Magazine, Reveals Retirement Plans / Photo Of Mikel Obi's Twin Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.