Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! (34057 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Set To Team Up With Lilwayne / Arsenal's Robert Pires In Lagos For Airtel-Sponsored Event (Pictures) / A Shamefull Disgrace To Team Nigeria! (4-0) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 9:35am On Jul 28, 2014
with all d insurgents going on in dis con3 dis Americana got liver pot cum naija .......it is well ooo
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Japlon(m): 9:36am On Jul 28, 2014
searay: Waiting for Bolt to become a Nigerian.
When he is 40 ba
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by alabiyemmy(m): 9:47am On Jul 28, 2014
BadBoy25: He sucks ,no one needs him . he has no choice but to stoop so Low .

So competing for Nigeria is stooping so low? Shebi because He is American? People like u Will have IT in your head that u r inferior to an American.

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by tomiobj(m): 9:49am On Jul 28, 2014
bambostic: http://makingofchampions.net/2014/07/28/another-american-robert-simmons-switches-allegiances-to-team-nigeria-commonwealth-games/

Watch out for the first ever appearance 25-year-old American Robert Simmons in Nigeria’s colours in the 400 metres at 11.46am – it is unlcear when and how Simmons switched allegiance to Team Nigeria, considering that he did not appear at the National Trials in Calabar in June, which should have served as the qualifiers for the Commonwealth Games. Omeiza Akerele finished 3rd at the trials but was part of Nigeria’s team at the World Junior Championships which just concluded in the US yesterday, so perhaps the decision was made for him to compete there instead!

For anyone arriving late to this party, there has been a lot of controversy surrounding Nigeria’s new American recruits, who largely dominated proceedings at the Nigerian Trials in June, particularly regarding their eligibility for the Green Passport of Nigeria, and whether they are good enough to win global medals for Nigeria. According to Simmons’ IAAF Profile, he has a PB of 45.19s set this season, which places him 18th amongst Commowealth Athletes this season, suggesting that though he is an improvement on Nigeria’s current quarter-milers who have struggled to break 46 seconds for some time now, he is unlikely to win a medal at these Games.

The question on his eligibility for the Nigerian passport is another one altogether. We will update you when we found out more about his switch!

Men’s 400m ROUND 1 TODAY

11.32am – Heat 2 - Salihu Isah (NGR No. 1, C’wealth No. 49) vs Wayde Van Niekerk (RSA, C’wealth No. 4)

11.39am – Heat 3 – Noah Akwu (NGR No. 2, outside C’wealth Top 50) vs Kirani James (GRN, Olympic Champion & C’wealth No. 1)

11.46am – Heat 4 – Robert Simmons (American – never competed for Nigeria previously! C’wealth No. 18)
nigeria in common wealth. Ipo. Nigerian should be in common poverty

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by tellwisdom: 10:01am On Jul 28, 2014
Fresia01: dat guy shud come marry me if he is good, handsome and a good runner!!! cus am cute!!!

Ok, im coming....but errrr do you have big yansh?? wink
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Danhumprey: 10:03am On Jul 28, 2014
Superstar007: Nice one! Meanwhile,

BREAKING NEWS: Chelsea fc have
completed the signing of South korea
defender PARK D' BUS on a 4-year
deal worth £4.5m
gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by tomiobj(m): 10:04am On Jul 28, 2014
UjSizzle: What's good news about an American wanting to run for us? undecided
. Look @ ur sentence and say what's wrong*modified* What's good news about an American wanting to run for 'us'? undecided

*u.s
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by morningsta(m): 10:05am On Jul 28, 2014
Urine: Does he have a Nigerian parent? The post makes it sound as if he has no connection with Nigeria.

Well, this would be very unusual if he has no previous link with Nigeria.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 28, 2014
embarassed embarassed
Fresia01: dat guy shud come marry me if he is good, handsome and a good runner!!! cus am cute!!!
You just broke my e-Heart. embarassed
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by shinel(f): 10:08am On Jul 28, 2014
so he can be officially connected to his adopted country? lolz!! I envy u..my sister...

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 28, 2014
tellwisdom:

Ok, im coming....but errrr do you have big yansh?? wink
grin grin grin grin
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by shinel(f): 10:12am On Jul 28, 2014

so he can be officially connected to his adopted country? lolz!! I envy u..my sister...
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by alotofgrace(m): 10:13am On Jul 28, 2014
the US always have a plan.... beware

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by hensben(m): 10:14am On Jul 28, 2014

deal worth £4.5m
it sucks to be you mehn!
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Ichel: 10:19am On Jul 28, 2014
kingjaja23: and desperately thirsty!
Technical knockout

1 Like

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by dokunbam(m): 10:23am On Jul 28, 2014
where is the picture haa angry
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Superstar007(m): 10:27am On Jul 28, 2014
hensben: it sucks to be you mehn!

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 28, 2014

deal worth £4.5m

old..stale and meaningless joke
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Fresia01(f): 10:29am On Jul 28, 2014
best2com: embarassed embarassed
You just broke my e-Heart. embarassed
hw did i do dat dearie?
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Krasid(m): 10:29am On Jul 28, 2014
Obiagelli: good news,

Why can't one of these telecoms companies sponsor a telent hunt for athletes instead of all these Nigerian idol or project fame? We like to copy useless things in this country.
Do a talent hunt, discover young prospects, send them abroad to become world beaters and have the advertise your fast Internet connection when they are made. Simple logic.

I hope someone make this proposal to one of those companies, imagine Usain bolt as their brand ambassador for speed, its a win win situation.
Wow,that's a very good idea.This is the kind of people we need in this country.Thinkers.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 28, 2014
alotofgrace: the US always have a plan.... beware

WHAT!!!!!!! delusion of the highest order..Guess all Nigerian athletes that represented other countries all were working for the Nigerian govt to undermine US...wow
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Krasid(m): 10:30am On Jul 28, 2014
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Fresia01(f): 10:31am On Jul 28, 2014
shinel:
ur head dey dia!!
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by henchamb(m): 10:31am On Jul 28, 2014
Even the commentator was crazy abt it but wasnt when one adeoye rep England in the same 400m.

Those guys ran very well.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Fresia01(f): 10:32am On Jul 28, 2014
best2com:
grin grin grin grin
buh u are nt d guy na
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 28, 2014
akpanikpe:
Omg! Why not convert this comment as a thread topic under sport? and I bet is Gonna make front page.
you can imagine how many medals we will be winning on the tracks.

2 Likes

Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 10:36am On Jul 28, 2014
tbagjames: Please brother, don't switch. ebola is real.

you are very stupid,go back to your real land,you are not a true Nigerian.
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by adonis89(m): 10:39am On Jul 28, 2014
good as in?
Re: Another American, Robert Simmons, Switches Allegiances To Team Naija @ C'wealth! by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 28, 2014
iterator25: your mates are starting businesses, you're here on nairaland looking for marriage.. smh

At least she is being honest.You will be the first to brand her eternal spinster if she raises the middle finger to marriage issues or posts negative comments about people getting married.

She should have gone for that Oghene Egwero who keeps representing Nig in 100m without making it to the finals..the so called Roberts is just another Agbonlahor who remembers Nigeria cos he couldnt make it in the star studded US athletics team.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tottenham Out Of Europa After UEFA Award Rennes Victory / 5 Reasons Why The Golden Eaglet Will Not Lift The Trophy In Chile. / Photo Of Mikel Obi's Twin Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.