Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (303) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351289 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 23, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by briliantsak(m): 3:12pm On Oct 23, 2017
Scholastica16:

What are your weaknesses? You should know them by now. I don't need to say more but you should forget the Long passages and focus on your shorter passages since it is easier to read them. You know what? Read the question first in the short essays, then go back to the passage and read it. This will train your mind to be alert in knowing the answer to the question you had just read. Once you think you have an idea, go back to the options and read through them. You should form a habit of writing options down on your answer sheet. A B C D E. If A is not what you saw in the passage eliminate it...till you arrive at your answer or the last option you have not struck out.

You should be getting your TCs and SEs right to do well in the V. The skill needed to excel in the long passages needed to have been acquired over time (which you don't have).

As for your quants, practice like PonPon said.

At this point, only ETS guide and Princeton or Magoosh can help with the VR. Same ETS, Manhattan can help with the quants.

Look for as many full-length tests as possible. I would recommend the ones in the ETS guide, your 2nd PowerPrep, (if you have money purchase the PowerPrep Plus), CrunchPrep, Magoosh, Manhattan's and Kaplan's as well. Kaplan's verbal is good - close to but not exactly the ETS GRE good.

The materials for your AWA are good but you should be practicing it as well with a desktop. Don't use something sleek like a Macbook as the keypad at Oba Akran or JKK look or feel nothing like it. When you practice the AWA timed, go to Google and search for the same topic or essay prompt. Compare your essays to what people have online and tweak yours to mirror the essays with the best form. You would do well.

Thank you for the reply sir.
As you've rightly said, I have pinpointed my weaknesses. The Quant section was due to silly mistakes, I got all the RC correctly...TC and SE are the challenges ( especially 2/3 blanks, I do get part of the answers...which doesn't count).

Please, do you have the link(s) to download the aforementioned preps ( CrunchPrep, Magoosh, Manhattan's and Kaplan's)?

Gracias!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 23, 2017
kinematicguy:

OU is actually 111 in the US, imagine Sheffield is 91 in the world. Mind you OU is a tier-1 research school. Now use your discretion to judge if Sheffield is better than OU, even Sheffield grads will disagree. World ranking doesn't favour US mid schools.

According to National Center for Educational Statistics there are 4,352 degree granting universities in the US. That's too much compared to UK's 154.

hi..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:01am On Oct 24, 2017
briliantsak:

Thank you for the reply sir.
As you've rightly said, I have pinpointed my weaknesses. The Quant section was due to silly mistakes, I got all the RC correctly...TC and SE are the challenges ( especially 2/3 blanks, I do get part of the answers...which doesn't count).

Please, do you have the link(s) to download the aforementioned preps ( CrunchPrep, Magoosh, Manhattan's and Kaplan's)?

Gracias!!!

You'd have to go to their websites to see how you can gain access to their free online full-length tests.

As for Kaplan, read Seeker88's 2 posts in this link.

https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre/141#51008853

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:03am On Oct 24, 2017
hirschfelder:

I guess I can say it has been nice, thanks. Some of the classes are rather fast paced-we practically covered an entire (Nigerian) semester's work in 3 weeks or so. The lecturers are very nice and super helpful-so far. The classroom experience is nice, we are like 4-6, so everyone must contribute.
The research is nice, but could be better. Abstract concepts dumped on one, with little time to get to fully understand before the next research meeting. Loads of homeworks, some of which can pass off as mini-projects back home, to do. But the professors will generally help if you ask for it. The exams we have done so far are very fair, but of course one has to prepare well
There is a nice-sized and helpful African community here. Helped with the integration. I can't offer much commentary on the social scene, I don't go out much, but I guess it's pretty chill (or so my housemate says). Kansas is a very laid back state anyways, and the locals seem nice.
Overall, I will say the experience has been nice, kind of what I expected.

NB: For ChE guys coming, if you can make out space in your luggage, come with your Fogler and BSL textbooks, they will most likely be your recommended texts for Reaction and Transport.

Thank you very much for this. Very enlightening!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 7:44am On Oct 24, 2017
First off, I wish to thank everyone who has posted and commented in one capacity or the other on this forum. Without you, this would not have been a reality. I stumbled on this forum by chance and at which time, I knew nothing about the GRE or study abroad. Of course I knew that people do study abroad, but I was not too cognitive of the process and all until I got here and was inspired by the various success stories.

Like my fore fathers here, I registered with B.Y Mafit and that was the singular wise choice I made cos everything revolves around them. I attended the free TOEFL and Free GRE classes. Got the Magoosh account, Kaplan Text, Official Guide and other materials given during lectures and group studies. Took the TOEFL classes for a month and the GRE classes for 6 weeks. Though free, they were very very vigorous. Wrote the TOEFL first. I'll share that experience another time since this is a GRE forum. I scored 110 though (There was a guy at Mafit who scored 115. Couldn't beat that target embarassed ). I did not read lots of textbooks. I just used the classes as my main study and did the additional practice recommended by our instructor (Enitan). Since that worked, I decided to use that principle for the GRE and it worked as well.

Wrote my GRE amidst lots of tension. The night before, I could not sleep. God punish tension cheesy . Had running stomach on the day of the exam and I started reciting all the psalms I could munster. grin grin grin . Was great though. The group discussions at Mafit helped, as we were fond of dealing with very difficult analytical questions. My advice is that while preparing, do not scratch the surface. Go really really deep. The more complex questions you tackle, the faster it would be to tackle the easier ones. Also, be true and sincere with yourself. For me, after I registered with BY Mafit, I didnt pick a date till I was well into the lectures and knew exactly what time I needed to be fully ready.

At the end, I scored 164 on the verbal and 162 on the quant. I know of a guy at Mafit (Dada) who scored 166 and 158 respectively. I already mailed my school and I was told I have the chances of getting full funding. I have sent other documents to them prior to this.

Once again, thank you all for helping nudge me in the right path. Now lets wait for the final decision on funding and start fasting so the VO will be nice grin grin . I sent this to Mafit to post but I guess they didn't so I had to sign up to post it myself. My advice for everyone would be to be focused and have a clear target and pursue it vigorously. Also, set aside everything to focus on this. It means a lot and it could change your life story.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 8:26am On Oct 24, 2017
frostsc:
First off, I wish to thank everyone who has posted and commented in one capacity or the other on this forum. Without you, this would not have been a reality. I stumbled on this forum by chance and at which time, I knew nothing about the GRE or study abroad. Of course I knew that people do study abroad, but I was not too cognitive of the process and all until I got here and was inspired by the various success stories.

Like my fore fathers here, I registered with B.Y Mafit and that was the singular wise choice I made cos everything revolves around them. I attended the free TOEFL and Free GRE classes. Got the Magoosh account, Kaplan Text, Official Guide and other materials given during lectures and group studies. Took the TOEFL classes for a month and the GRE classes for 6 weeks. Though free, they were very very vigorous. Wrote the TOEFL first. I'll share that experience another time since this is a GRE forum. I scored 110 though (There was a guy at Mafit who scored 115. Couldn't beat that target embarassed ). I did not read lots of textbooks. I just used the classes as my main study and did the additional practice recommended by our instructor (Enitan). Since that worked, I decided to use that principle for the GRE and it worked as well.

Wrote my GRE amidst lots of tension. The night before, I could not sleep. God punish tension cheesy . Had running stomach on the day of the exam and I started reciting all the psalms I could munster. grin grin grin . Was great though. The group discussions at Mafit helped, as we were fond of dealing with very difficult analytical questions. My advice is that while preparing, do not scratch the surface. Go really really deep. The more complex questions you tackle, the faster it would be to tackle the easier ones. Also, be true and sincere with yourself. For me, after I registered with BY Mafit, I didnt pick a date till I was well into the lectures and knew exactly what time I needed to be fully ready.

At the end, I scored 164 on the verbal and 162 on the quant. I know of a guy at Mafit (Dada) who scored 166 and 158 respectively. I already mailed my school and I was told I have the chances of getting full funding. I have sent other documents to them prior to this.

Once again, thank you all for helping nudge me in the right path. Now lets wait for the final decision on funding and start fasting so the VO will be nice grin grin . I sent this to Mafit to post but I guess they didn't so I had to sign up to post it myself. My advice for everyone would be to be focused and have a clear target and pursue it vigorously. Also, set aside everything to focus on this. It means a lot and it could change your life story.

Bravo! Congrats!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 24, 2017
frostsc:

Wow! Great scores! Congratulations. wink
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Allylic(f): 9:39am On Oct 24, 2017
Please how do one locate galaxy uniprep Al-khums close off linju crescent opposite red cross office by NNPC station,next to sterling bank..Abuja...Also if ur exam is on Nov 2 and u reside in Abuja...please pm me...thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:17am On Oct 24, 2017
frostsc:

I genuinely envy you small for reasons not clear to me. Congratulations, your both scores are very good and you had enough knowledge to know when to apply etc. I am also happy you gave back to this thread. Some others got the same information you did and after using it they left without saying anything. holarwhaley2 For example is one of such people angry

I am not clairvoyant but I would be gravely surprised if you do not get 2 solid offers atleast. Cheers.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mikeayus(m): 10:53am On Oct 24, 2017
boss please explain more on the bolded..thanks
Scholastica16:

What are your weaknesses? You should know them by now. I don't need to say more but you should forget the Long passages and focus on your shorter passages since it is easier to read them. You know what? Read the question first in the short essays, then go back to the passage and read it. This will train your mind to be alert in knowing the answer to the question you had just read. Once you think you have an idea, go back to the options and read through them. You should form a habit of writing options down on your answer sheet. A B C D E. If A is not what you saw in the passage eliminate it...till you arrive at your answer or the last option you have not struck out.

You should be getting your TCs and SEs right to do well in the V. The skill needed to excel in the long passages needed to have been acquired over time (which you don't have).

As for your quants, practice like PonPon said.

At this point, only ETS guide and Princeton or Magoosh can help with the VR. Same ETS, Manhattan can help with the quants.

Look for as many full-length tests as possible. I would recommend the ones in the ETS guide, your 2nd PowerPrep, (if you have money purchase the PowerPrep Plus), CrunchPrep, Magoosh, Manhattan's and Kaplan's as well. Kaplan's verbal is good - close to but not exactly the ETS GRE good.

The materials for your AWA are good but you should be practicing it as well with a desktop. Don't use something sleek like a Macbook as the keypad at Oba Akran or JKK look or feel nothing like it. When you practice the AWA timed, go to Google and search for the same topic or essay prompt. Compare your essays to what people have online and tweak yours to mirror the essays with the best form. You would do well.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:34pm On Oct 24, 2017
mikeayus:
boss please explain more on the bolded..thanks

When you are practising your AWA, the keypad of a Macbook will ill-prepare you for the boxy-type keyboard JKK or Oba Akran will provide for you. If you are not skilled, it could slow you down.

Also, when practising, as soon as you are done typing your argumentative and issue-based essays, search for the topic of the essay via Google. You would see various links depicting other people's essays on the same topics. Try to study theirs and see if they raised certain points you did not. You may also see the linking words they used and adopt them in your own.

The more you practice, the better you'd become.

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Arrowgents: 10:23pm On Oct 24, 2017
Evening good ppl of nairaland i want to go for msc in d states nxt yr and knowing dat gre is a very important requirement for admission,where do i start from,i am based in lagos & which study centre can i register for tutorials
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TooMuchSauce: 10:59pm On Oct 24, 2017
Arrowgents:
Evening good ppl of nairaland i want to go for msc in d states nxt yr and knowing dat gre is a very important requirement for admission,where do i start from,i am based in lagos & which study centre can i register for tutorials

Do yourself a great deal of favor by reading through this thread from the first page to the last, then you can ask a more precise question and people on here can take you more seriously.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Arrowgents: 11:18pm On Oct 24, 2017
I graduated wit a vry poor cgpa 2.0/5 in applied physics (electronics) i am looking at doing an msc in renewable energy engineering/energy systems engineering which schl offer such course in the states,i hv gotten soft copies of the gre question
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Structuralman: 7:19am On Oct 25, 2017
Azekimo:
Hi everebody,
Please, how can I convert my CGP (5.0 scale) to U. S standard scale(4.0)

Hello bro,

Seems the moderators deleted your comment about the Dangote Refinery job probably because you posted the number of their HR. Congratulations my dear brother on the offer. I am really happy for you. I am still expecting mine. As mentioned before after supplying additional documentation. Am however not for graduate trainee, mine is experienced hire. Congrats once again on landing the job!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drthiery(m): 4:11pm On Oct 25, 2017
Allylic:
Please how do one locate galaxy uniprep Al-khums close off linju crescent opposite red cross office by NNPC station,next to sterling bank..Abuja...Also if ur exam is on Nov 2 and u reside in Abuja...please pm me...thanks
Am writing same day with you....

The venue is within town... Thou I don't know the exact place... Map will help...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Epithet: 4:19pm On Oct 25, 2017
drthiery:

Am writing same day with you....

The venue is within town... Thou I don't know the exact place... Map will help...

Same day same center cool, yeah I'm talking about myself too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Epithet: 4:19pm On Oct 25, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drthiery(m): 4:28pm On Oct 25, 2017
Epithet:

Same day same center cool, yeah I'm talking about myself too.
Nice...

I guess your time is 10am too
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Epithet: 7:21pm On Oct 25, 2017
drthiery:
Nice...

I guess your time is 10am too
Yes it is. smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 1:15am On Oct 26, 2017
femi312:
Congratulations, but if I were you I wont be applying to both top schools in Texas, spread your risk well.Northwestern, Virginia tech are some really good top schools you could look at.Fully funded Phd admission is not easy to come by nowadays not to talk of Msc, don't be too carried away by your scores. A friend of mine who graduated from OAU some 3-4 years ago had 337 in GRE and with his first class, he didn't get funded in Berkeley for Msc, this is just to tell you its not all about the scores. Professors want to entrust funded projects in the hands of students that can show research skills and ability to do the job. Most times these faculties get students through recommendations from colleagues in other schools. This is not to say that you don't stand a chance, just spread your risk well. Again I know of someone who had less that 300 in GRE and got a fully funded Phd offer in University of Virginia because he met and networked with his present Advisor at a conference while doing his masters in the US. There are 1001 cases like that and these are some of the cases that make it seems like admission + funding is getting harder each year. There is a limit to the number of Phd students a faculty can take in. I have no doubt that you will get admitted but think for a second about some crazy Indians/Chinese bringing close to perfect CGPA and Test scores, some international students who had their masters in the US and planning to proceed to PHD programs. Cheers and All the best.
Abeg who be the person for UVA? I don find Nigerians tire for the school. Can you connect me? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 1:24am On Oct 26, 2017
akatovic1:
Ok, let me give back to the community who has given me so much info.After barely a month of preparation with interruptions by job interviews ( plus films wey I watch till early this morning),I wrote my GRE today in Abuja after I had to postpone it once(see how money miss angry angry).I had to leave my house early as I did not know the venue and it was worth it because I miss road but later arrived at the venue few minutes to 10. I was still unsettled and I was a little worn out, but man must survive. Inspired by God and threatened by paying another 50k I took the test.The analytical tried to show me pepper but I said even if na to form story I must write something.God really answered my prayer as Quantitative was the next section that means , my test took this pattern QVQVQ.By the break I needed water because I was really thirsty and I also took that opportunity to discuss small. But the break taught me that 10 minutes is really a short period of time.After the break, I started with rigour but later noticed I was flagging, I was getting slower, started to use the onscreen calculator and didn't have time to revise. At the end of the test I just wanted the whole exercise to stop (maybe because I didn't practice a full length test with the power prep software).
However my result came out thus
AWA- waiting
Verbal- 157
Quantitative-166
I was unhappy and disappointed and I feel I messed up because I expected more(when MIT is drawing you wetin you go do na), however in all things I give thanks. But one thing I learnt is to prepare better
I had to change schools like MIT and introduce plan B schools like;
University of Texas Austin
Texas A and M university
University of Notre Dame
Colorado School of Mines ( na confusion make me add this one)
My profile goes thus;
School: One big school like that for eastern Nigeria
Discipline: Mechanical Engineering
Target: msc/PhD
CGPA: 4.53
Now let the writing of Statement of Purpose begin , I can not come and be going at the same time
Please your advice will be appreciated by me and I trust God to take us there in Jesus Name
Nice scores. Congrats! Abeg forget that MIT story oh. Spread your risks well.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 1:25am On Oct 26, 2017
frostsc:

Wow! See scores! Congrats!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femi312: 1:31am On Oct 26, 2017
drhopeful:
Abeg who be the person for UVA? I don find Nigerians tire for the school. Can you connect me? Thanks.
He is not Nigerian, he is Ghananian
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lamexx(m): 6:39am On Oct 26, 2017
femi312:
That reminds me, there is a young Nigerian Professor in Mechanical at Northwestern, you can check him out if his research interest alligns with yours. Him being Nigerian should work in your favor to some extent I believe. By the way Northwestern is ranked #11 in Mechanical

Don't let this be a reason why you choose this school. You would be surprised that the Nigerian prof may not send you. Some Nigerians in the US find it difficult to help fellow nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by HOYINDARMORLAR: 8:03am On Oct 26, 2017
Hi guyz,
trust text prep has been going on well.
please is there anyone who has access to magoosh premium account that's still valid for up to 3 weeks and is willing to share, even for a token?
please hit me up if you do.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 8:24am On Oct 26, 2017
Pm... I could connect you with a friend.

HOYINDARMORLAR:
Hi guyz,
trust text prep has been going on well.
please is there anyone who has access to magoosh premium account that's still valid for up to 3 weeks and is willing to share, even for a token?
please hit me up if you do.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by geejayjax: 1:00pm On Oct 26, 2017
thanks for the information bro, i'm now in the same position u were b4 stumbling on this forum, i'll love to write the exams too.
pls can u help me with info that can help and how to get in touch with the training centre u used.

God bless bro

frostsc:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by geejayjax: 1:02pm On Oct 26, 2017
Allylic:

good day, though i'm yet to register for mine but i reside in abuja and i'll love to write it very soon.
i want to know if u registered for any classes or just read on ur own.

wish u good success
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Whosentyou: 2:53pm On Oct 26, 2017
Check out the list of all universities in US according to ranking and their world ranking too. This may help you choose wisely

http://www.webometrics.info/en/Americas/USA?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Chinlov: 4:03pm On Oct 26, 2017
Allylic:

I am in Abuja. this location is just opposite Wuse Market across the Bridge. if you need more help lemme know

(1) (2) (3) ... (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.