Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (325) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1348334 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (322) (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babiepraiz(f): 2:21pm On Dec 18, 2017
Wow I finally got to the last page no.

Its really being informative reading through this thread. Have gotten all the materials via the links posted.

The target is FALL2019 though

Planning to start serious prep by January, hope am in line?

My profile goes thus

UG GPA: 3.87/5.0 (WES evaluation no gree ontop my windows phone)

B.Sc Industrial chemistry but planning to switch to M.Sc or P.hD Chemical Engineering with research interest in catalysis or Renewable energy (biofuels)..

Publication: Nil
Experience: Nil

Schools am interested in

Purdue University (Ph.D)
New Mexico State University
Oklahoma State University
Rutgers University.

Advice from our seniors are really appreciated

Cc: drhappyday
Scholastica16
Hirschfielder
Time2smile
Happyday
Sirriddy
dremanuel
OluDare01

Your response and advice would really be appreciated. Thanks...

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mikeayus(m): 2:41pm On Dec 18, 2017
so how much are we paying, am not clear on that

nationidea:
Invest $1: Earn $4 and 0.1% Equity in 2018
See what you have to do to take advantage of this opportunity.

I have seen and read many startup opportunities and like many missed out on so many opportunities to invest my time and maybe little money, for example Bitcoin when it started out at $0.6 to the dollar didn’t see the opportunity then and totally regret that today as it soars above $10,000.

Well, that’s all in the past this isn’t exactly the same but an opportunity none the less.

My Advice
Always take risks especially once you can afford, try many things and you never know when the next big thing might emerge. Anyone who bought $10 worth of Bitcoin in 2013 will today have profited $60,000 in cash. For those who didn’t know about Bitcoin until now, well that’s okay but for those of us who were even offered free Bitcoin to sign up on some sites or had the option to get paid $100 or 100BTC for an article on sites like ListVerse.com that’s just painful.

So go check it out, this might not be exactly Bitcoin but it sure has the promise of anonymity and crowd funding as well as benefits which if you ask me are worth the risk since all you would lose would be $1 or gain $4 and an equity of 0.1% which seems insignificant until you project it a bit.

Let’s say the company earns $1,000, $10,000, $100,000, or $1,000,000 in a month you get to benefit $1, $10, $100, or $1000 every month. Now that is basic math of the possibilities ahead.

By the way I have already invested in the idea and have some of my friends too. I just hope they don’t close the door before you get the opportunity to invest. This could be your opportunity to ever invest in web startups.

Check It Out - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfbd2-R-Ozu4H3co4KZNOY6pvx8zbCZ2siD3c2raMggq4k8vw/viewform
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ProEnergy: 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2017
hi dear
pls can i get the materials from you? i am a 2019 summer hopeful. email is promiseuhegwu@yahoodotcom. i'll really appreciate
babiepraiz:

Its really being informative reading through this thread. Have gotten all the materials via the links posted.

The target is FALL2019 though

My profile goes thus

B.Sc Industrial chemistry but planning to switch to M.Sc or P.hD Chemical Engineering with research interest in catalysis or Renewable energy (biofuels)..

Schools am interested in

Purdue University (Ph.D)
Rutgers University.

Cc: drhappyday
Scholastica16
Hirschfielder
Time2smile
Happyday
Sirriddy
dremanuel
OluDare01

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sunshineluv5: 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2017
[quote author=Scholastica16 post=63350306]

Stop looking for agents with a price range. Look for renowned agents first and see if their price works for you. BY MAFIT charge N50k and ponpon charges N45k. Both are trusted.

You might see someone who may tell you N38k but use a stolen credit card to pay for it. Few months down the line, ETS could discover it and terminate your scores (alerting your schools while at it) and even bar you from using your full name to partake in their tests for
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babiepraiz(f): 10:32pm On Dec 18, 2017
ProEnergy:
hi dear
pls can i get the materials from you? i am a 2019 summer hopeful. email is promiseuhegwu@yahoodotcom. i'll really appreciate

I do not have them on my phone, they are on my system and they are large files why not send a blank mail to the email on the front page.

Success to us #Fall2019
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 1:57am On Dec 19, 2017
babiepraiz:

Hi babiepraiz,

First, good job on reading the ENTIRE thread. I'm glad you're making good use of the thread. It's impressive, please keep it up. Second, cherish those materials you've obtained. Even though you've gotten them at no cost, you would gain a lot from them, when it's time to prepare for your test.

I didn't see any specific question you want answered, so I figured I should address two key issues you should be mindful of, going forward:

1) Why Chemical Engineering

2) GRE vs. Statement of Purpose

1) Why Chemical Engineering? Switching courses now will involve adopting a brand new learning curve altogether. In my opinion, it's better to leverage what knowledge you've acquired earlier in your career, as opposed to continually learning new things.

Your four solid years of experience in Industrial Chemistry counts for a lot, don't underestimate it. Industrial Chemistry is great, and you'll have a lot of opportunities to choose from, if you can come here to study.

That being said, if you believe getting a Chem Eng grad degree would get you closer to your career goals, then, go for it.

b) GPA vs. GRE vs. Statement of Purpose

We could sit here all day and talk about how you could bump up that GPA, especially for top-ranked Purdue. So, just focus on other aspects of your application as it is.

For your GRE, get the Magoosh GRE if you can. Score as high as you can. If you can get 170's across board, please do. If you won't be able to pay for both Magoosh and the test fee, then try saving till you can. Fall 2019 gives you enough space to do that.

NOW, absent your GPA, your Statement of Purpose is the single most important part of your entire application. So, start writing this now. Start thinking of your answers to questions like: What degree do you want to pursue? Why? What are your research interests? Why are you coming to graduate school? What have you done apart from taking classes? What problem did you address in your final year project?

These are questions you need to start working on now, and preparing careful answers for.

According to Purdue: "CAREFULLY prepare a statement of purpose that clearly outlines your goals and interests in Chemical Engineering."

A lot of people think getting close to a perfect GRE score helps a great deal. Nothing could be further from the truth. Schools are focusing more on the softer parts of your application such as Statement of Purpose & Letters of Recommendation.

With programs like Magoosh and others becoming rampant, it's becoming easier to ace the GRE, and still perform poorly in grad school.

Schools are tired of stories of how you've always wanted to study Engr since you were a kid. Adcomms are already seeing through that fluff. Writing a GOOD statement of purpose takes quality time, but I can assure you, it will well be worth it.

Good luck!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 2:25am On Dec 19, 2017
babiepraiz:

My profile goes thus

Schools am interested in

Purdue University (Ph.D)
Rutgers University.

Hey!
Getting into Purdue with this your cgpa might be a long shot but you can try. I don't know about your chances with other schools but with good gre and toefl scores, you stand a chance.
The main challenge you will face is switching from ICH to ChemE. While switching is possible, you will have to take some prerequisite classes and you might not get funded while taking those classes. I will say you should think about it very well before you apply. If I were you, I would also apply for chemistry master's and PhD programs as a backup.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by inspirational93: 2:57am On Dec 19, 2017
click this link to download free PDF document files on any topic and related course
http://viwright.com/4as2
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pronto543(m): 7:58pm On Dec 19, 2017
ponpon:
Done sir

Thanks a bunch sir. I am blessed having great minds in these thread.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2017
sunshineluv5:
please what's Mafit address?

You can visit their site at www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com . They have presence in Abuja as well as Lagos. Lagos is somewhere in Obafemi Awolowo Way. I think number 77 while the Abuja one... I can't help with that. Visit their site. grin . They are the only ones who give Free lectures for GRE, GMAT and TOEFL in Nigeria and believe me it's better than the paid lectures you get anywhere. I'm talking from experience.

Where is B.Y Mafit on this thread sef? I think they should have presence here.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 7:54pm On Dec 20, 2017
@babiepraiz. I don't really have much to add to what happyday has written. You might want to save his response to read it from time to time.
One thing I want to add is that you should try to get research experience if possible. You can volunteer with a Professor if you are in university town or some other researchers in your area of interest. Not only does it make writing your SOP easier, but it also gives it more authenticity.

In addition, it will enable you to get letter of recommendation from someone you have research with. Letters from former research supervisors usually carry more weights with admission committees.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 8:45pm On Dec 20, 2017
Talkingboy:

Hello Bro .

Please how did u achieve high scores in ur General Training Ielts .

Please give me specific tips and website for L R S W .

God bless u as u help.
Hi, first of all I am not a bro! Second, this is GRE thread! Third, I will answer your question grin
I took all the Cambridge practice tests on ieltsonlinetests.com. I also read through ieltsliz.com and Roadtoielts on the britishcouncil website. That was it!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by LazyFolk: 11:35am On Dec 21, 2017
[quote author=ponpon post=63393032]Done sir [/quote
Please i also need the power prep 2 plus��]
Fpllaeto@gmail.com, many thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by witgig: 7:13pm On Dec 21, 2017
Scathing
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 8:10pm On Dec 22, 2017
Yea, I can finally post my transcript here.

DEC 11 was war against fraud day. I got to embassy very early that day. We were delayed than usual (according to my seniors grin). Fast forward to the interview proper...
VO approved a mechanised farmer b4 me..

ME:Good morning sir
VO: good morning(with smile). We joked about our nights.
VO: where are you going in usa
ME: I am going to VTech to study construction management with research concentration on Intelligence Infrastructure
VO: wow you are going to VTech
ME: yea... He started being lenient and answered most of the questions himself
VO: i can see you study civil and you are going for construction management.
Me: yea
VO: what have you been doing since grad?
ME: told him
VO:why did you change your course?
ME: I discussed with Dr Wollmann about my research interests, she advised me to contact MLSoC because they are domiciled.
VO: oh ok
VO: will you come back to Nigeria
Me: Yes, I will come to pick up a job in Osun State University.
Vo: you want to be a teacher?
me: I want to be a lecturer oga cheesy
VO: SO you will be a Dr.
Me: yez, i will go for PhD so I can be a good lecturer
VO: how did you hear about the school
Me: I heard from Dr Olusegun who is an alumni of the school. I researched dere website and I saw they are the 3rd best in construction management... VO glanced at me at the mention of 3rd best
Vo: who will sponsor you
Me:my dad will sponsor me.
vo: what does he do?
me: he is into real estate and a pastor at All souls Anglican Church.
Vo: did you have his soa?
me: yes
Vo: did you take any standardised test?
me: yes, gre and toefl. I told him my score
I asked him if he still needs the statement. He collected my statement, test score and transcripts. He further asked if I asked any other doc which can support my profile. I gave him my admission letter.

I sha see white paper but baba put me on AP.

After Series of prayer and divine intervention, I was issued on Tuesday 19th Dec. I want to affirm that God plays a larger part in this visa stuff (people like Zainab, Lucy, pepe, adewole, temtop will understand). Shout out to my NL friends who stood by be during this time, AP is worse than refusal trust me. I wish all the hopeful success. See you soon Temtop, mama, zainab and adewole etc. One Love guys! grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Dalmakz: 9:15pm On Dec 22, 2017
Mr ponpon... Please your help is needed urgently
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 9:23pm On Dec 22, 2017
Sir?
Dalmakz:
Mr ponpon... Please your help is needed urgently
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Dalmakz: 9:31pm On Dec 22, 2017
ponpon:
Sir?

We need to converse... Outside the walls of the platform... Is that possible.. Maybe on WhatsApp or so...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sunshineluv5: 11:19pm On Dec 22, 2017
frostsc:

You can visit their site at www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com . They have presence in Abuja as well as Lagos. Lagos is somewhere in Obafemi Awolowo Way. I think number 77 while the Abuja one... I can't help with that. Visit their site. grin . They are the only ones who give Free lectures for GRE, GMAT and TOEFL in Nigeria and believe me it's better than the paid lectures you get anywhere. I'm talking from experience.

Where is B.Y Mafit on this thread sef? I think they should have presence here.
thanks bro but this reply came rather late. I have already registered with them today I got free textbook n CD. but the physical lecture aspect is the most painful part bcuz I don't reside in Lagos but Benin.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 2:14am On Dec 23, 2017
Dalmakz:

We need to converse... Outside the walls of the platform... Is that possible.. Maybe on WhatsApp or so...
shoot me an email Patrick.jimoh60@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gozychuks(m): 6:05am On Dec 23, 2017
Does anyone have a magoosh account for sale or share account with me I am ready to pay. If there is anyone ready to join me pay for a.fresh magooSh premium account that will.be nice too. Just quote, reply this post or pm me
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 6:39am On Dec 23, 2017
Hi, are you a futoite?

Gozychuks:
Does anyone have a magoosh account for sale or share account with me I am ready to pay. If there is anyone ready to join me pay for a.fresh magooSh premium account that will.be nice too. Just quote, reply this post or pm me
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 6:39am On Dec 23, 2017
Ponpon, are you still doing registration for Toef? What's the cost?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gozychuks(m): 6:41am On Dec 23, 2017
aamstih:
Hi, are you a futoite?

Yes I am. How did you know
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 6:44am On Dec 23, 2017
EVT i guess and you're also a memeber of ispon.

Your village people gave me this details grin... It's a global village

Gozychuks:

Yes I am. How did you know
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 6:57am On Dec 23, 2017
aamstih:
Ponpon, are you still doing registration for Toef? What's the cost?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gozychuks(m): 7:02am On Dec 23, 2017
aamstih:
EVT i guess and you're also a memeber of ispon.

Your village people gave me this details grin... It's a global village

Lol. Weldone
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Solonzo17(m): 8:48pm On Dec 23, 2017
IAmPhiL:
hi, i'm in need of a study pal for GRE, holla if you reside around fagba/abule-egba axis. i'm good in maths though, just a lil rusty in english

cheers
I stay close to fagba, can we meet
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babiepraiz(f): 1:19pm On Dec 25, 2017
happyday:

Hi babiepraiz,

I didn't see any specific question you want answered, so I figured I should address two key issues you should be mindful of, going forward:

1) Why Chemical Engineering

2) GRE vs. Statement of Purpose

1) Why Chemical Engineering? Switching courses now will involve adopting a brand new learning curve altogether. In my opinion, it's better to leverage what knowledge you've acquired earlier in your career, as opposed to continually learning new things.

Your four solid years of experience in Industrial Chemistry counts for a lot, don't underestimate it. Industrial Chemistry is great, and you'll have a lot of opportunities to choose from, if you can come here to study.

That being said, if you believe getting a Chem Eng grad degree would get you closer to your career goals, then, go for it.

b) GPA vs. GRE vs. Statement of Purpose

We could sit here all day and talk about how you could bump up that GPA, especially for top-ranked Purdue. So, just focus on other aspects of your application as it is.

For your GRE, get the Magoosh GRE if you can. Score as high as you can. If you can get 170's across board, please do. If you won't be able to pay for both Magoosh and the test fee, then try saving till you can. Fall 2019 gives you enough space to do that.

NOW, absent your GPA, your Statement of Purpose is the single most important part of your entire application. So, start writing this now. Start thinking of your answers to questions like: What degree do you want to pursue? Why? What are your research interests? Why are you coming to graduate school? What have you done apart from taking classes? What problem did you address in your final year project?

These are questions you need to start working on now, and preparing careful answers for.

According to Purdue: "CAREFULLY prepare a statement of purpose that clearly outlines your goals and interests in Chemical Engineering."

A lot of people think getting close to a perfect GRE score helps a great deal. Nothing could be further from the truth. Schools are focusing more on the softer parts of your application such as Statement of Purpose & Letters of Recommendation.

With programs like Magoosh and others becoming rampant, it's becoming easier to ace the GRE, and still perform poorly in grad school.

Schools are tired of stories of how you've always wanted to study Engr since you were a kid. Adcomms are already seeing through that fluff. Writing a GOOD statement of purpose takes quality time, but I can assure you, it will well be worth it.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your prompt response and am sorry my response has been late. I think I was blocked for a while, although I don't understand why...

Concerning the bolded have been doing lots of google search and must Universities I saw except for IUP and an African American private university base their focus more in chemistry than industrial chemistry which is why I decided to delve into ChemE because of the larger option I can get there also I have serious interest in renewable energy and catalysis.

Am a fan of learning new things ever day though as I believe additional knowledge on a thing expands options rather than being restricted to the science field I feel additional knowledge in Engineering would be of great advantage, besides i love math's sometimes....

Concerning the others you mentioned am seriously praying and working towards them cause nothing is impossible and my recommenders are ready at anytime though I didn't go for any of the profs in my field cause I know how busy they could be.

Thank you so much i really appreciate.
Happy holidays
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pronto543(m): 1:48pm On Dec 26, 2017
Compliment of the season buddies. Please I need some illumination concerning GRE. I plan to give the GRE on January 4th but the priority deadline for one of my target schools is January 15.

My questions are:

Firstly, does GRE produce online examinee report like TOEFL. I plan to upload it for my online application during application in case the official scores from ETS does not arrive the School before January 15th.

Secondly, for those that wrote GRE lately in Lagos approximately after how many days after the test date was the result ready--I mean AWA?

Thank you all for your anticipated responses.

(1) (2) (3) ... (322) (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.