Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (460) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1353249 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (457) (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:16am On Feb 21, 2019
Time2Smile:

Funding levels depends on whether it is MSc or PhD. The monthly stipend ranges from 1000 to 2,500 with most PhD funding between 1700 and 2200 per month.
The biggest expense in the US is rent, so the best way to reduce expenses is by having a roommate. Therefore if a single student can keep rent below 500 per month, the other monthly expenditures should be less than $500, giving a total less than $1000. Although rent varies based on States and is most expensive in California and the North East (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts).

Most PhD students end up saving. A fully funded single PhD student has no business taking illegal work to make ends meet, or else it is a case of greed.

You will however need to come with about $1500 to settle down before your stipend kicks in.

Everything here is on point. I will only add that some Boston, NYC and Cali PhDs get as much as 2800-3500 a month. There is someone in Boston University who even views this thread occasionally that earns $3500/month. But their rent no be here. A 4-bedroom apartment shared where he stays is $1300 per person. Some Stanford people see $5000 a month single bedroom apartments and $1800/month each in a 3 bedroom shared. Someone who visited recently and stayed with a friend said his friend pays $800 each a month in a 5 bedroom shared spot close to Stanford and that was even subsidised by the school.

In Iowa State here, the PhDs get $1900+ after taxes. The ball park figure is however $30k/year.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CuteRedd(f): 6:22am On Feb 21, 2019
Scholastica16:

Everything here is on point. I will only add that some Boston, NYC and Cali PhDs get as much as 2800-3500 a month. There is someone in Boston University who even views this thread occasionally that earns $3500/month. But their rent no be here. A 4-bedroom apartment shared where he stays is $1300 per person. Some Stanford people see $5000 a month single bedroom apartments and $1800/month each in a 3 bedroom shared. Someone who visited recently and stayed with a friend said his friend pays $800 each a month in a 5 bedroom shared spot close to Stanford and that was even subsidised by the school.

In Iowa State here, the PhDs get $1900+ after taxes. The ball park figure is however $30k/year.
nice view points. I have always wanted to know the actual living cost range in Boston and New York especially for an international student. I know that the rate stated on the school site is a watered-down version and not the true picture of things. Can you pls connect me to this person in Boston U? Would love to ask some questions about the school and other things. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by soar10: 7:04am On Feb 21, 2019
pronto543:

Which program are you applying for? Purdue is regarded as a 'public ivy', this means it is quite difficult to get in. You can give it a try if you have a very good overall profile and high UG GPA.

Thanks, food science, UG GPA 4.33/5.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RMatthias: 7:17am On Feb 21, 2019
Please I need this as well!!!!
Bifrost:
Anyone here who has a recent paperback edition of GRE materials he's willing to part with on this thread, I need it. I'm really struggle to study using my laptop as it gives me headache cause I have eye problem.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mtope: 9:06am On Feb 21, 2019
mtope:
Good morning everyone,
İ need to make some clarifications. İ am considering to apply to southern western Illinois and Arkansas state university. Any red flag about these schools. İ read that İ need to send my transcripts, can i send before i actually apply? Also according to what i read there is no separate scholarship application to these schools, once İ get admission İ wait for funding decision based on my profile. Am i right?
Good morning everyone,
İ need to make some clarifications. İ am considering to apply to southern western Illinois and Arkansas state university. İ read that İ need to send my transcripts, can i send before i actually apply? Also according to what i read there is no separate scholarship application to these schools, once İ get admission İ wait for funding decision based on my profile. Am i right?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mikkyboy(m): 10:47am On Feb 21, 2019
Wao..Thanks so much for your input Scholastica16.

But wait o...why the house cost like his, can person not find faceme -I - faceyou house for rent? cheesy cheesy cheesy . Thats on a lighter note.

With this, i think the Stipends should be sufficient for any real PhD student.
Scholastica16:

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 11:44am On Feb 21, 2019
Good day everyone,

Please who has gotten admission into MTU before, i checked my application portal yesterday and realized i have been admitted into MS Mathematics (It has a Statistics option), also applied for MS statistics and data science but haven't been admitted for those. I didn't get any email, no admission letter, it was just stated that "grad accept-pending financials" while others states "Complete-awaiting program decision", there is a new option to submit bank statements.

What do you think i should do?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Delux4luv: 12:46pm On Feb 21, 2019
Time2win:

Which of them? You mean college station?
Yes, college station
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 1:05pm On Feb 21, 2019
solihp:
Good day everyone,

Please who has gotten admission into MTU before, i checked my application portal yesterday and realized i have been admitted into MS Mathematics (It has a Statistics option), also applied for MS statistics and data science but haven't been admitted for those. I didn't get any email, no admission letter, it was just stated that "grad accept-pending financials" while others states "Complete-awaiting program decision", there is a new option to submit bank statements.

What do you think i should do?

Thanks

I just got an official acceptance email to this effect. I will have to contact the department about funding.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pronto543(m): 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2019
RMatthias:
Please I need this as well!!!!

Pm me using Nairaland
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2019
solihp:
I just got an official acceptance email to this effect. I will have to contact the department about funding.

congrats
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 2:29pm On Feb 21, 2019
solihp:

Congratulations!! I hope you get funded!

Cheers.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 2:45pm On Feb 21, 2019
Solihp

Congratulations once again.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 2:46pm On Feb 21, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Congratulations!! I hope you get funded!

Cheers.

Thank you, stinkoko MTU. I knew they were stingy sha grin grin. I messaged the departmental graduate director, she said no funding grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 2:48pm On Feb 21, 2019
nelem:

congrats

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 2:48pm On Feb 21, 2019
TheZed:
Solihp

Congratulations once again.

Thanks, I might as well turn down the unfunded offer grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2win(m): 3:00pm On Feb 21, 2019
solihp:

Thank you, stinkoko MTU. I knew they were stingy sha grin grin. I messaged the departmental graduate director, she said no funding grin grin

Lol grin i have 3 PhD admission from that school. Nothing on funding yet. They are very stingy
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 3:54pm On Feb 21, 2019
solihp:

Nawa for them oh!
Unto better schools with better funding! Make you come share good news grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 21, 2019
solihp:

Thanks, I might as well turn down the unfunded offer grin grin

lol. prolly if you turn it down, it might be beneficial to other guys wait-listed grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by henrykene(m): 4:46pm On Feb 21, 2019
Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has postponed 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) mock exams scheduled to hold on 23rd March 2019. The board made this known through its Head of Information Dr Fabian Benjamin on Wednesday 20th March 2019.

Dr Fabian Benjamin said that postponement of 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) mock exams was due to Presidential and National Assemble election that was scheduled to hold on 16th March 2019 but was rescheduled to hold on 23rd March 2019 by Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

when is JAMB mock 2019? Read this on [url='https://masterjamb.com/m/11/JAMB-Mock-exam-date--2019-UTME-Mocks-Exams-has-been-postponed']Master Jamb Website[/url]
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by solihp(f): 5:07pm On Feb 21, 2019
nelem:

lol. prolly if you turn it down, it might be beneficial to other guys wait-listed grin grin

I don't even know their aim, they just accepted me to MS statistics again today, the former one was Mathematical science. What's the point of admitting someone to multiple programs and not funding them undecided
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by themmyloluwaa: 9:10pm On Feb 21, 2019
Another opportunity guys, fully funded scholarship to study in New Zealand

Remember i am your scholarship plug, send me a message on twitter @study2japa if you have any question

https://study2japa.com/new-zealand-scholarship/

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bifrost: 11:49pm On Feb 21, 2019
pronto543:

Yeah! I've pm you. Check your mail.
How can I reach you?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mtope: 12:21am On Feb 22, 2019
İ need to make some clarifications. İ am considering to apply to southern western Illinois and Arkansas state university. Any red flag? İ read that İ need to send my transcripts, can i send before i actually apply? Also according to what i read there is no separate scholarship application to these schools, once İ get admission İ wait for funding decision based on my profile. Am i right? Please someone should respond.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Erec(m): 4:51am On Feb 22, 2019
[quote author=calculator123 post=75546618]
finally met a fellow Statistician.
Can you please share your full profile ie GPA, TOEFL score(breakdown too) and any research experience [/quot

Greater you . we can equally connect to follow the foot step .
I'm a statistician too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 6:02am On Feb 22, 2019
[quote author=Erec post=75978375][/quote] Erec, please shoot me a mail eulerciva@gmail.com. thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 6:33am On Feb 22, 2019
Time2Smile:

Funding levels depends on whether it is MSc or PhD. The monthly stipend ranges from 1000 to 2,500 with most PhD funding between 1700 and 2200 per month.
The biggest expense in the US is rent, so the best way to reduce expenses is by having a roommate. Therefore if a single student can keep rent below 500 per month, the other monthly expenditures should be less than $500, giving a total less than $1000. Although rent varies based on States and is most expensive in California and the North East (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts).

Most PhD students end up saving. A fully funded single PhD student has no business taking illegal work to make ends meet, or else it is a case of greed.

You will however need to come with about $1500 to settle down before your stipend kicks in.
is the $1,500 the Minimum money one must have for a PhD student?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CuteRedd(f): 7:34am On Feb 22, 2019
calculator123:

is the $1,500 the Minimum money one must have for a PhD student?
monthly and it depends on the state

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Roybhatty: 12:08pm On Feb 22, 2019
DavidLoves:

congratulations bro... am a novice in all these GRE stuff. I recently passed out from the nysc scheme sir. l v a few questions though, what is the validity period (in Years) of the GRE exams? or is it yearly like jamb? do I need it to apply for these schools and what portal or site did u use in applying to these schools? thanks

GRE score are valid for a period of five years and it also depends on the time you have taken the test.

For example, if you have taken the GRE exam on or after July 5, 2019, your scores are valid up to July 4, 2024. But if you take the test before July 1, 2019,(say April 30 2019) scores are valid for the following testing year i.e June 30, 2024. Hope this helps you understand clearly. Check this [url=https://galvanizetestprep.com/blogs/what-is-the-gre/#utm_source=Nairaland&utm_medium=Post&utm_campaign=What%20is%20GRE%20blog]GRE Exam[/url] blog for more information.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 2:15pm On Feb 22, 2019
CuteRedd:
monthly and it depends on the state
thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by preciousnobel(m): 3:50pm On Feb 22, 2019
Good day all,
Big kudos to our seniors here! May your shadows never grow less!
I noticed that most applications here are engineering or related disciplines. Anybody here applying for Phd/Msc in any biomedical discipline? i am an undergraduate of human physiology in a Nigerian university and I intend to apply for Phd in neuroscience in the nearest future.

Also, the information I got is that it is impossible for immigrants to live legally after Phd in Trump's America. Is it true? What do you think is the best thing to do about this? It wouldn't be nice to travel back to Nigeria and start looking for an academic or industry job after Phd in US @Scholastica16 Time2Smile, CuteRedd, Sherlock5577, Pronto543

Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tactmayor: 3:51pm On Feb 22, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (457) (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.