Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? (6486 Views)

Fuel Scarcity Paralyses Lagos, Other Major Cities -PUNCH / Alleged AIT Ban: The True Story From An AIT Staff, Lara Wise / You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by scribble: 6:29pm On Jul 28, 2014
I think we need to ask ourselves a serious question about our security.

The other day in Lagos I saw two females in the scorching heat dressed in full black hijab - the garment of choice for the female suicide bombers plaguing Nigeria now.

Do we need to do away with this garment of oppression, and now destruction?
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by scribble: 6:31pm On Jul 28, 2014
to hijab or not to hijab

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Oklander: 6:37pm On Jul 28, 2014
Go and do away with it now.
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Caseless: 6:56pm On Jul 28, 2014
I know it will come to this. Those that are bent on seeing islam name mentioned in bad light would stop at nothing to achieve their aims. It's a plot to trigger more islamophobia and bias debate against our choice of dressing as muslims. I know how this attack from 'hijabites' will put our sisters and other well-meaning hijabite under pressure and expose them to harassment from security agents and those brainwashed against islam/muslims.
Another way of turning nigerians against themselves. It seems Boko haram strategy is working; considering the opinion of the OP.
If they can't ban hijab in some countries with high islamophobia and less muslims, then tell me how that is gonna be possible in nigeria where muslims make up about 53% of the population?
OP, if we are fighting boko haram to keep it from islamizing nigeria, then Nigerian muslims will fight(via legal means) to keep ur likes, boko haram(seen as agent against islam) from de-islamizing nigerian muslims.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Afam4eva(m): 7:11pm On Jul 28, 2014
Pls, which one is Hijab and which one is Buqua? As much as everyone have the right to wear whatever they like and i don't think any of them should be banned, for security precautions, people should not be allowed to cover their face in any guise.
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Idrismusty97(m): 7:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
I think we should ban cars,motorcycles and all manner of vehicles. We should even ban polythene bags. If bokoharam start using schoolbags to hide bombs we should ban it too. We shouldn't focus on stopping this menace from the root cause, instead we should ban anything bokoharam uses until they have nothing to use again. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Emessy(m): 7:34pm On Jul 28, 2014
ENEMIES OF ISLAM being trying to destroy Islam since -5BH

1 Like

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
They can cover ther heads but people should be mandated to have their faces open in public places. Truth is in these times, covering of faces constitutes a danger to others.
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by hurricaneChris: 8:02pm On Jul 28, 2014
Can you ban hijab in a state that arrests people who sell beer openly and flogs people who don't fast during ramadan?

It can never happen.

Maybe women should wear their hijab, but let them ban every thing involving face covering.
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
Please don't ban those black ninjas. They r doing great work.
Ban the pink ones. Too tempting.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Jakumo(m): 8:26pm On Jul 28, 2014
Yes indeed, no doubt about it. All manner of clothing that conceals the wearer's identity MUST be declared illegal NOW, and subject to IMMEDIATE seizure by law-enforcement officers, in the over-riding interest of national and individual security during the current climate of terror pervading Nigeria.

In addition to terrorists on the attack, armed robbery gangs could disguise themselves as "women" in religious Batman costumes, and stroll into banks to raid, fully confident that they will NEVER be recognized from security video footage or by eye witnesses, and secure in the knowledge that their identity-concealing religious robes will enable them to blend into the population right after the operation is over, with no need to even change the masks.

In the Nigeria of today when both men and women have displayed a willingness to blow themselves and innocent strangers to Kingdom-Come, NOBODY should assume a RIGHT to HIDE their face, and even their gender, under a Darth Vadar theatrical costume, or any other get-up that HIDES facial features from fellow users of public thoroughfares and buildings.

To offer a simple analogy, if I happen to enjoy dressing up in a tailor-made crotch-less Spider Man costume that hides my face but not my bedroom tackle, for each session of Bondage and Discipline practiced by myself and my consenting woman in the privacy of our boudoir, I should not expect that such practice equates with a God-given RIGHT to wear that same costume when I visit the bank to seek a business loan from the manager.

By the same token, any person whose religious dress-code calls for wearing a mask must be mandated by law to REMOVE that mask when moving around in public areas within the territory of ANY secular (non-religious) national entity, of which Nigeria is a ready example.

12 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by thewarrior72: 8:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
I'm in full support of op, it's time to do away with any form of vail, be it burka, hijab or other forms of vail. France did it & heaven did not fall. If we are ready to stem out the scourge of suicide bombing & terrorism in general, we need to unveil everybody so police & other law enforcement agencies will have less work to do & it will be easier to spot a suicide bomber from afar. wink cool

1 Like

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Mabaleosi(m): 8:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
caseless: I know it will come to this. Those that are bent on seeing islam name mentioned in bad light would stop at nothing to achieve their aims. It's a plot to trigger more islamophobia and bias debate against our choice of dressing as muslims. I know how this attack from 'hijabites' will put our sisters and other well-meaning hijabite under pressure and expose them to harassment from security agents and those brainwashed against islam/muslims.
Another way of turning nigerians against themselves. It seems Boko haram strategy is working; considering the opinion of the OP.
If they can't ban hijab in some countries with high islamophobia and less muslims, then tell me how that is gonna be possible in nigeria where muslims make up about 53% of the population?
OP, if we are fighting boko haram to keep it from islamizing nigeria, then Nigerian muslims will fight(via legal means) to keep ur likes, boko haram(seen as agent against islam) from de-islamizing nigerian muslims.
and where did you got that 53% from? Which of the population census result gave you that percentage? You better stop deceiving yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by edogirl2: 8:57pm On Jul 28, 2014
Banning it is not practicable - it will alienate even moderate moslems and incite more extremism.

Also, the male bombers appear to dress like most Nigerian males - trouser and shirts or normal traditional dress. Are we going to ban these and insist all men wear shorts and old style singlets, the type that has holes in them so that we can see if they are carrying bombs or not.

The Nigerian situation is now so complex, there are no simple answers to the insecurity problems.

1 Like

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 28, 2014
I @ibnsultan sarduana Nairaland wishes to Info you that the current use of female bombers by BH is indeed terrible and scary. But this will in NO way stop our Mothers,sisters,wives From putting on the hijab to protect their dignity as required. I use this opportunity to call on his excellency Mr president to use all his powers to bring an end to the insurgency in the North. We understand your pains as we are also victims of the terrorism. let's continue to pray for our service personnels fighting the insurgents. Long live The Federal Republic of Nigeria. Sign:sardauna Nairaland
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
Jakumo: Yes indeed, no doubt about it. All manner of clothing that conceals the wearer's identity MUST be declared illegal NOW, and subject to IMMEDIATE seizure by law-enforcement officers, in the over-riding interest of national and individual security during the current climate of terror pervading Nigeria.

In addition to terrorists on the attack, armed robbery gangs could disguise themselves as "women" in religious Batman costumes, and stroll into banks to raid, fully confident that they will NEVER be recognized from security video footage or by eye witnesses, and secure in the knowledge that their identity-concealing religious robes will enable them to blend into the population right after the operation is over, with no need to even change the masks.

In the Nigeria of today when both men and women have displayed a willingness to blow themselves and innocent strangers to Kingdom-Come, NOBODY should assume a RIGHT to HIDE their face, and even their gender, under a Darth Vadar theatrical costume, or any other get-up that HIDES facial features from fellow users of public thoroughfares and buildings.

To offer a simple analogy, if I happen to enjoy dressing up in a tailor-made crotch-less Spider Man costume that hides my face but not my bedroom tackle, for each session of Bondage and Discipline practiced by myself and my consenting woman in the privacy of our boudoir, I should not expect that such practice equates with a God-given RIGHT to wear that same costume when I visit the bank to seek a business loan from the manager.

By the same token, any person whose religious dress-code calls for wearing a mask must be mandated by law to REMOVE that mask when moving around in public areas within the territory of ANY secular (non-religious) national entity, of which Nigeria is a ready example.
Oh Jakumo grin grin you humour me everytime, the ease and flair with which you write is admirable cool
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Caseless: 9:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
Mabaleosi: and where did you got that 53% from? Which of the population census result gave you that percentage? You better stop deceiving yourself.
go and read! I knw nigerian youths are gullible , do something 4 urself.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Omexonomy: 9:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
Ibnsultan: I @ibnsultan sarduana Nairaland wishes to Info you that the current use of female bombers by BH is indeed terrible and scary. But this will in NO way stop our Mothers,sisters,wives From putting on the hijab to protect their dignity as required. I use this opportunity to call on his excellency Mr president to use all his powers to bring an end to the insurgency in the North. We understand your pains as we are also victims of the terrorism. let's continue to pray for our service personnels fighting the insurgents. Long live The Federal Republic of Nigeria. Sign:sardauna Nairaland
at last you people are tired of insulting the president the scale has fallen out of ur eyes.
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by thewarrior72: 9:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
Mabaleosi: and where did you got that 53% from? Which of the population census result gave you that percentage? You better stop deceiving yourself.
grin U de mind the guy, he got his statistic from his ass undecided
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Idrico(m): 9:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
@OP,Go and ban the Nuns in Catholic church first.SMH
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by suwailad(f): 9:44pm On Jul 28, 2014
scribble: to hijab or not to hijab

dude is that you? tongue
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
they r all like dat! Always dcivin themselves. They pretend to be peaceful, but inwardly wicked, devilish n destructive.
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Mabaleosi(m): 10:08pm On Jul 28, 2014
caseless: go and read! I knw nigerian youths are gullible , do something 4 urself.
Read what? If you cannot quote your source of info, then hide your face in shame for stating what you cannot defend

1 Like

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by ChrisOD: 10:43pm On Jul 28, 2014
caseless: go and read! I knw nigerian youths are gullible , do something 4 urself.

What census gave you the data to make that claim?
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by ChrisOD: 10:44pm On Jul 28, 2014
Idrico: @OP,Go and ban the Nuns in Catholic church first.SMH

But the nuns are not throwing bombs

1 Like

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Nobody: 2:16am On Jul 29, 2014
Govt need to ban all dis masqurade pples in
town.

1 Like

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Nobody: 4:23am On Jul 29, 2014
Oh yeah? Well too bad your pathetic opinions are garbage.
But feel free to turn this to another Islam bashing thread. Its only your times your wasting on meaningless crap typed online.
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by Nihilist: 4:43am On Jul 29, 2014
Sensible governments have already banned the hijab anyway including majority Muslim countries like Turkey and Tunisia(though they lifted it after Arab spring)

Asides the obvious fact that the full body covering poses a security risk from the islamist bombers, the hijab is also a means of severe censorship designed to repress women , and by forcing them to cover up so totally, ensuring that Islamic women are not to be seen, are not to be heard, and are not to be reckoned with.

The very logic of covering up a woman's entire face and body because her beauty might tempt a man into sin, is as absurd as asking people to cover thier nice cars in cardboard boxes so that other pedestrians are not tempted to steal.

It removes any responsibility for being a decent human being from the male Muslim and places it squarely at the feet of the Islamist female. It is her fault for being too fine, not the islamist male's fault who simply has eyes that are easily tempted.

I say ban the hijab now.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by fitzmayowa: 4:50am On Jul 29, 2014
Jakumo: Yes indeed, no doubt about it. All manner of clothing that conceals the wearer's identity MUST be declared illegal NOW, and subject to IMMEDIATE seizure by law-enforcement officers, in the over-riding interest of national and individual security during the current climate of terror pervading Nigeria.

Classic
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by fitzmayowa: 4:52am On Jul 29, 2014
Nihilist: Sensible governments have already banned the hijab anyway including majority Muslim countries like Turkey and Tunisia(though they lifted it after Arab spring)

Asides the obvious fact that the full body covering poses a security risk from the islamist bombers, the hijab is also a means of severe censorship designed to repress women , and by forcing them to cover up so totally, ensuring that Islamic women are not to be seen, are not to be heard, and are not to be reckoned with.

The very logic of covering up a woman's entire face and body because her beauty might tempt a man into sin, is as absurd as asking people to cover thier nice cars in cardboard boxes so that other pedestrians are not tempted to steal.

It removes any responsibility for being a decent human being from the male Muslim and places it squarely at the feet of the Islamist female. It is her fault for being too fine, not the islamist male's fault who simply has eyes that are easily tempted.

I say ban the hijab now.

You want make them place fatwah for your head abi...all this guys no dey joke with their "eleha's" ooo...cheesy
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by bokoslayer: 5:47am On Jul 29, 2014
scribble: I think we need to ask ourselves a serious question about our security.

The other day in Lagos I saw two females in the scorching heat dressed in full black hijab - the garment of choice for the female suicide bombers plaguing Nigeria now.

Do we need to do away with this garment of oppression, and now destruction?

This is an invitation for Jihad. The blood thirsty lot will just hit the streets and kill all kill-ables. Let them have the hijab pls
Re: Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? by McWhillion(m): 6:02am On Jul 29, 2014
@Nihilist,You couldn't have said it better bro.

Last year a neighbour's younger sister came to pay her a visit. This lady in question is a ravishing beauty. When I first saw her my mouth stood agape, I later asked my sibling who she was(as I didn't know then) and she gave me a load down.

The lady(a Muslim) has been betrothed to a young Muslim man who insisted she is to put on the full hijab when he finally marries her. This lady who couldn't be more than 21 years of age was distraught and sad because she was already pregnant for her fiance, also she comes from a strong Islamic background and her parents supported his decision even though the lady was not happy about it.

When I heard this ridiculous story I became so mad.
How could this happen in the heart of a 21st century society?

The hijab is just another testimony to the fact that a Muslim woman in the Islamic context has no to right to free will.
Today when she comes visiting you can't recognize her as she has no identity. Meanwhile her husband, a totally free man, might be somewhere lustfully admiring another young lady he might put in the family way soon.
I vehemently support that the hijab be banned totally.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JIMI AGBAJE Or AMBODE? Who Is Best To Lead Lagos State Well / Reply To Chinua Achebe's There Was A Country. By Alabi Isama. / Faces Of Keepers Of The Secret Of Buhari's Death ~ Nnamdi Kanu(ipob)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.