Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House (32300 Views)

Woman Pregnant For Judge Who Dissolve Her Marriage After 3 Months (pic) / Divorce Lawyers In D House, Pls I Need Some Advice / Why Would A Man Insist On Not Having A Registry Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by chukxy44(m): 8:12am On May 24, 2020
Now that Registry have been closed, does that mean churches would not conductor any wedding till they reopen?
Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by Acidosis(m): 1:58pm On Jun 21, 2020
kenny987:
Once you are wedded in any of the Orthodox Churches particularly Anglican, Catholic, Methodist and so on you are issued a certificate of marriage which is same as that issued by the Court registry so you do not need to do a marriage in the Registry unless you wish to. The Orthodox churches are licensed places of worship. Your marriage certificate will be that of the Federal Republic of Nigeria pursuant to the Marriage Act, not that of the name of a church.

This is completely false.

It is actually easier for a "mushroom" church to give a recognized marriage certificate than the big churches. Don't mislead people.

The fact that Adeboye, for instance, registered his church doesn't mean other RCCG churches spread around the country are "registered or licensed to conduct marriages." The more branches and priests you have, the more complicated as they can't do any form of licensing without the approval of the head/GO.

If a Catholic Church in Wuse is licenced by the Ministry of Interior and the Catholic Church in Kubwa is not, if you conduct your wedding in Kubwa, then your certificate is null and void. It is useless, according to the law. No law covers any "religious brand" - whether Anglican, Catholic or Pentecostal.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:51pm On Jun 21, 2020
chioma134:
I am married but we did only church marriage in Anglican communion as well as traditional marriage. I also got a sworn affidavit of marriage. However, I've always wondered if these are sufficient. I actually asked a court registrar who told me that since I wedded in the Anglican church, there was no need for court wedding. But I hear the laws governing church and registry marriages are different. Pls family lawyers in the house, what do you think? Should I do a registry marriage or not? Am I fully protected with chuch marriage certificate? If not, what are the advantages of one over the other? Thank you as you respond.

what you need to understand is what is licenced marriage officer, these are usually priests/pastor that are licenced by the government conduct marriages in their respective churches and if one is licenced it means, they can conduct both a registered marriage and simple church one (according to the church doctrine)

If the pastor/priest is not licenced, they can only conduct their church doctrine one only and it wont be legally registered. Meaning law doesnt take you as legal married people but only religion and tradition does

So what you need to ask your pastor is, is licenced by the government to conduct legal marriage?

The confusion on most people how we view weddings, if you do a traditional wedding it means you are married as per culture and tradition, people take you as married people but law would say your marriage is not registered

The same with church wedding if the pastor is not licenced, it means the marriage is per church doctrine and tradition but the marriage is not registered as per law (under Marriage Act in most countries)
Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by bheejay25: 2:36pm On Jul 10, 2020
I have a question please..
I got married last year in a Baptist church. The church is registered and the certificate we go is from the ministry of Interior.
The issue i have now is that my best man and best lady both have their names and signatures on the witness section of my marriage certificate. Which i feel is normal. But when we asked, we were told it will be rejected at any foreign embassy, that only our names should be on the certificate.
Can anyone please provide me with adequate information? for the married ones, is the name and signature of your best man and best lady your court marriage certificate? What can be done if truly it will not be accepted by any foreign embassy?
Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by MrHighSea: 8:32am On Dec 13, 2021
ojulet:
It's happening to me now, I wedded in a Catholic church, and one of there requirement was to obtain a registration of marriage Form from the L.G marriage Registry (Form E or so). But after the wedding, I was given the church marriage certificate ( don't carry any FG logo, just the church) and one for that matter. Going to do a change of name, and to register the certificate
I was told it's not the right one. So am now going to do court marriage to obtain the right one, for my marriage to be registered. Not all the Branch of the license church have the Right F G marriage certificate.
While going to court, You submitted affidavit of bachelorhood/spinsterhood or affidavit of marriage?
Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by Dammyolori(f): 12:11am On Feb 14, 2023
This is a very interesting story as it applies to me. Please I got married at the living faith church in year 2013, we didn't observe the 21 days notice of the u, though we were issued form e certificate but we were not asked to go submit a copy back to the registry. Please do I still need to conduct a proper court marriage?
Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by Dammyolori(f): 1:55am On May 19, 2023
But where is lalasticlala sef
WOW. Please help... I did mine in living faith church, I didn't do 21 days notification but I was given form e certificate, though a bit different from the normal court certificate we have around. And I didn't take my certificate to Yue court thereafter. Is my certificate legally validated?
Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by Divoc19(f): 4:11am On May 19, 2023
If you want your marriage to be recognized by Nigerian Law. Do a Court/Registry marriage.

If you want to keep your marriage simple. Customary/Sharia Court still gat your back when issues arise.

Married or not. If you want your partner to take responsibility of his/her offspring, go to court with prove of fatherhood/motherhood.

We have Human Rights and Child Rights lawyers everywhere.

Some activists nko? Dem dey

Religion and Government are on two parallel lines.

Where is OnionBandit undecided

1 Like

Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by Chinny024(f): 5:32pm On May 19, 2023
OP..
You don't need another court marriage...Your church gave you their marriage certificate and also issued you Federal republic of Nigeria Marriage certificate right?...
If you haven't collected your government marriage certificate proceed to the LGA where your church is registered to collect it...

Though ask your catechist or Reverend.
Re: Do I Need A Registry Marriage After A Church Marriage? Lawyers In The House by OnionBandit(f): 9:36pm On Sep 14, 2023
Divoc19:
If you want your marriage to be recognized by Nigerian Law. Do a Court/Registry marriage.

If you want to keep your marriage simple. Customary/Sharia Court still gat your back when issues arise.

Married or not. If you want your partner to take responsibility of his/her offspring, go to court with prove of fatherhood/motherhood.

We have Human Rights and Child Rights lawyers everywhere.

Some activists nko? Dem dey

Religion and Government are on two parallel lines.

Where is OnionBandit undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

HELP: My 3 Year Old Son Can't Do Without Cartoons, Stays Awake Till Morning / I Almost Had A Fight With My Mom / Should A Wife Ever Confront Her Hubby’s Side Chick?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.