Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations (3581 Views)

Derivation And Deprivation II: The Ill-gotten Wealth Of Obasanjo / The Amazing Wealth Of Ibori / Effect Of Fuel Subsidy On The Common Man On The Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Omexonomy: 11:37am On Jul 31, 2014
Henrodah: Please I need to know why Cameroun is participating at this current commonwealth at Glasgow. I have tried getting infos online, but nothing yet. Any ideas nairaland peeps
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Omexonomy: 11:43am On Jul 31, 2014
Southern cameroön was part and parcel of present day southern nigeria and speaking the same language with nigeria. In order for zik not to have a landslide victory (in 1963 or so) obafemi awolowo conspired with the northern gov to convice the southern cameroon to go and join their kith and kin in cameroon but they refuse to allow the people of mordern adamawa and some part borno to go and join cameroon. With that move zik lost in the election. The father of the great skipper Roger miller up till his death was claiming to be a nigerian thru the northern cameron. The first president of cameroon Aijo's family return to nigeria after the move and settled in the present day adamawa. In od.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Arosa(m): 11:44am On Jul 31, 2014
Some Part of Cameroon was colonised by Britain just like Canada.
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Descartes: 11:49am On Jul 31, 2014
Southern Cameroon
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Omexonomy: 11:58am On Jul 31, 2014
When the southern cameroon came to realise the tricks they decided to return back to nigeria only for them to realise nigerias are in the mist of civil war. They then decided to ask for bakasi penisuler so that they won't take side with the biafrans and gowon had no choice than to give them it to them.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 31, 2014
Omexonomy: Southern cameroön was part and parcel of present day southern nigeria and speaking the same language with nigeria. In order for zik not to have a landslide victory (in 1963 or so) obafemi awolowo conspired with the northern gov to convice the southern cameroon to go and join their kith and kin in cameroon but they refuse to allow the people of mordern adamawa and some part borno to go and join cameroon. With that move zik lost in the election. The father of the great skipper Roger miller up till his death was claiming to be a nigerian thru the northern cameron. The first president of cameroon Aijo's family return to nigeria after the move and settled in the present day adamawa. In od.

I saw a report in c 1961 NY times I believe someone posted it on nairaland stating that the people of southern Cameroon chose to leave Nigeria because they were afraid of Igbo domination which fear had already take hold in the region. I'm not saying this as a fact. Unfortunately the thread quickly turned tribal and I refused to get into it.

Here is a link to a similar story.

The 'Igbo Scare' in British Cameroons
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/182769?uid=3738720&uid=2460338175&uid=2460337935&uid=2&uid=4&uid=83&uid=63&sid=21104424816287

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
Omexonomy: Southern cameroön was part and parcel of present day southern nigeria and speaking the same language with nigeria. In order for zik not to have a landslide victory (in 1963 or so) obafemi awolowo conspired with the northern gov to convice the southern cameroon to go and join their kith and kin in cameroon but they refuse to allow the people of mordern adamawa and some part borno to go and join cameroon. With that move zik lost in the election. The father of the great skipper Roger miller up till his death was claiming to be a nigerian thru the northern cameron. The first president of cameroon Aijo's family return to nigeria after the move and settled in the present day adamawa. In od.
my God, where did you come up with this?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Omexonomy: 1:09pm On Jul 31, 2014
Obiagelli:
my God, where did you come up with this?
my missing ribb if you have a better arguement why not put it up.
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 31, 2014
Omexonomy: my missing ribb if you have a better arguement why not put it up.
wetin do you for ribs? My story coming up soon

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by IGBOSON1: 1:14pm On Jul 31, 2014
Omexonomy: When the southern cameroon came to realise the tricks they decided to return back to nigeria only for them to realise nigerias are in the mist of civil war. They then decided to ask for bakasi penisuler so that they won't take side with the biafrans and gowon had no choice than to give them it to them.

^^^Hehehehe grin grin grin

Short....sharp....and straight to the point! wink

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 31, 2014
Egypt was colonized by Britain but they are not participating in the Commonweath games. As for the US their arrogance will never allow them to do so. Btw what about Hong Kong?
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Omexonomy: 2:11pm On Jul 31, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^Hehehehe grin grin grin

Short....sharp....and straight to the point! wink
iam not an igbo or Yoruba but from the middle belt.
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by mencade5(m): 2:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
confusion in africa is too much.
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by RichDad1(m): 2:52pm On Jul 31, 2014
I've pondering on it too. But the conspiracy theories on this thread is something else. Abeg any better and genuine explanations please?
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Articul8(m): 4:14pm On Jul 31, 2014
They shared us without our consent. We dnt even knw wia we really belong.I am a Nigerian because my colonial masters said so!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by vicadex07(m): 6:31pm On Jul 31, 2014
Omexonomy: iam not an igbo or Yoruba but from the middle belt.

No wonder you are confused
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Omexonomy: 7:50pm On Jul 31, 2014
vicadex07:

No wonder i am confused
FIXED.
You this drunkerd.
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Omexonomy: 7:51pm On Jul 31, 2014
RichDad1: I've pondering on it too. But the conspiracy theories on this thread is something else. Abeg any better and genuine explanations please?
my brother this is not a conspiracy theory it is a fact
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by vicadex07(m): 8:09pm On Jul 31, 2014
Omexonomy:
I am a useless drunkard with no hope for the future

Correct

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Obinoscopy(m): 5:25pm On Aug 03, 2014
Henrodah: Please I need to know why Cameroun is participating at this current commonwealth at Glasgow. I have tried getting infos online, but nothing yet. Any ideas nairaland peeps
Cameroon ia a member of Commonwealth. They joined the Commonwealth in the year 1995.

The requirement for joining the Commonwealth is that the country must have a constitutional link with a member country. Cameroon had a constitutional link with Great Britain because part of it (southern parts) was colonised by the British. Thus Cameroon met the requirements for membership. The two countries who joined Commonwealth without meeting up with the requirements are Mozambique and Rwanda.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by vanunu: 8:40pm On Aug 03, 2014
Cameroon was a german territory until the end of the first w. War when the league of nation took cameroon and namibia away from germany.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by saintneo(m): 7:18am On Aug 04, 2014
Most of the Prussian(German) colonies were taken away from and the Prussian(German) government by British and French governments after WW1.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by BrokenTV: 8:44am On Aug 04, 2014
Peter Williams: Making sense of
the Commonwealth Games
nations
By ONE News presenter Peter
Williams in Glasgow
Published: 6:54AM Wednesday July
30, 2014 Source: ONE News
Email this article Print this
article Text size
+
-
The Commonwealth Games
flag is carried into the arena by
former athletes including
Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe
Related
Peter Williams: All Blacks
Sevens lacked South
Africa's pace
OPINION Peter Williams:
Bolt in hot demand
video
OPINION Peter Williams:
Glasgow putting on a show
Has it ever crossed your mind,
when you're watching the
Commonwealth Games, just why
countries with such a staunch
French or German or Portuguese
colonial past are playing with the
sons and daughters of the old
British Empire?
Why is it, you may think, that
Rwanda or Mozambique or
Cameroon are here?
And how come Fiji is taking part,
but their Rugby Sevens team
wasn't ?
More bizarrely, how come there
are officially 53 nations in the
Commonwealth, but 71 national
delegations in Glasgow? Some
answers are easy.
Cameroon was admitted to the
Commonwealth in 1995 because,
while it was a German colony, it
was divided up between France
and Britain by the League of
Nations after World War 1.
So there were two Cameroons
which merged in 1961 and
although France has been the
dominant European culture for
most of country's last hundred
years, there is a semblance of
British history there and English is
one of the official languages.
Other issues are not quite so
straightforward.
Mozambique was admitted to the
Commonwealth in 1995,
apparently because it's
surrounded in Africa by other
Commonwealth nations, with
whom it is on friendly terms, and
it played a role in the struggle
against white rule in both
Zimbabwe and South Africa during
the 1970s and 80s.
But it was always a Portuguese
colony and in 1997 the " Edinburgh
Declaration" was made by the
Commonwealth which said
Mozambique's membership would
be a unique event and that in
future, any new members would
have to have a " direct
constitutional link" to an existing
member.
Advertisement
Somehow that was changed in
2007 to say that new members
must "as a general rule" have that
direct constitutional link to an
existing member.
Which for all intents and purposes
means any country can apply, and
in 2009 Rwanda - which had been
a Belgian trust territory and a
German colony - became a full
member of the Commonwealth.
That's despite it's own Human
Rights Initiative damning it with
faint praise by saying it was "less
corrupt" than other countries.
Fiji is a strange case.
Because it will hold elections on
September 17, the country was
readmitted to the Commonwealth
in March of this year after being
banned in 2006.
But the Commonwealth Games
Federation decided that was too
late to allow an entry for the
Sevens and Netball teams.
Somehow the federation could
squeeze them into weightlifting,
bowls, swimming, judo and
athletics.
Denying them a place in the
Sevens seemed unfair, to say the
least. They would have offered
considerably more at Ibrox than
Sri Lanka or Barbados.
As for the discrepancy between
the number of Commonwealth
countries and teams competing
here .. well that's sort of
complicated.
Great Britain at the Olympics
becomes seven teams here -
England, Scotland, Wales,
Northern Ireland, Isle of Man,
Jersey and Guernsey.
Norfolk Island and Nauru are
governed by Australia, Niue is a
dependency of New Zealand, Saint
Helena is a British Overseas
Territory, as are Bermuda, the
Cayman Islands and the British
Virgin Islands.
And so it goes on. Various
territories and dependencies
which cannot compete in their
own right at the Olympics or
World Championships can get a
start in the Commonwealth
Games.
It lowers the overall standard of
the sporting competition, but it
does mean a really inclusive
sports festival.

http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/peter-williams-making-sense-commonwealth-games-nations-6040947
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by meforyou1(m): 10:21am On Aug 04, 2014
though initially meant for only countries Britain colonised, now any country can join commonwealth if they so desire. rwanda that was colonised by belgium just joined. they participated in the games as well.
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Deadlytruth(m): 10:13am On Mar 06, 2016
Omexonomy:
Southern cameroön was part and parcel of present day southern nigeria and speaking the same language with nigeria. In order for zik not to have a landslide victory (in 1963 or so) obafemi awolowo conspired with the northern gov to convice the southern cameroon to go and join their kith and kin in cameroon but they refuse to allow the people of mordern adamawa and some part borno to go and join cameroon. With that move zik lost in the election. The father of the great skipper Roger miller up till his death was claiming to be a nigerian thru the northern cameron. The first president of cameroon Aijo's family return to nigeria after the move and settled in the present day adamawa. In od.

Even a new born baby can see the how the post turns logic on its head as follows:

1. In 1963 Awolowo had already been hounded into jail by the ZIK-Ahmadu Bello coalition NPC-NCNC. Was it from prison Awolowo connived with the same Northern government which hated him and jailed him?

2. Awolowo was a political enemy to both Zik and Ahmadu Bello beginning from 1959 and indeed throughout the first republic, and Ahmadu Bello, the North's overall leader was ready to harm and crush all Awolowo's interests to the favour of Zik his junior slave partner in their Igbo-Hausa Oligarchy of NPC-NCNC. The election over Southern Cameroon was held in 1962 when Zik and Ahmadu Bello were still in honey moon and having political sex over the just concluded marriage between NPC and NCNC thus their victory over the AG of Awolowo their dreaded foe. Now if the issue of Southern Cameroon was a battle between Awo and Zik, then how come Ahmadu Bello colluded with his imprisoned foe to hurt Zik his newly wedded slave wife with whom he was still enjoying the sweetest political sex he ever had in life?

If you must lie, then do it intelligently.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Omexonomy: 11:18am On Mar 06, 2016
Deadlytruth
That was why i said in "1963 or so" which means i was not sure of the particular date. None the less the truth is very deadly. Mynd44 lalasticala barcanista front page material.
Re: Why Is Cameroon Among The Common Wealth Of Nations by Deadlytruth(m): 10:53pm On Mar 06, 2016
Omexonomy:
Deadlytruth
That was why i said in "1963 or so" which means i was not sure of the particular date. None the less the truth is very deadly. Mynd44 lalasticala barcanista front page material.

Yes it was in 1962. However Awolowo was already the enemy of both Zik and Bello. Therefore the possibility of Ahmadu Bello (the Northern leader) colluding with Awolowo to hurt Zik his coalition partner was Zero.

What I think explains better why Zik lost Southern Cameroon was Igbo domination over the Eastern minority tribes. This is supported by the fact that Isaac Adaka Boro also later claimed his declaration of the Niger Delta Republic on Feb. 23 1966 was to free Ijaws from Igbo domination.

(1) (Reply)

DHQ;135 Boko Haram Terrorists (All Together) Surrender - The Nations Newspaper / Nigerian Military Unleashes Full Weapon Of Mass Destruction Against Boko Haram / Important Message about Neo-colonialism, Ebola and Boko Haram to save your life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.