Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers - Music/Radio (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers (29900 Views)

Where Can L Download Lgbo Highlife Music From? / Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? / Classic Highlife Music (this Is Old School) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 5:33pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:
Brother i really do and am glad to have someone on the forum that enjoys the music same as i do. I think Diblo dibala is a fantastic Guitarist that's why they nicknamed him Machine Gun. There are other artiste i didn't list such as Pepe Kalle,Alain Kounkou,Alain Makaba,etc
Diblo Dibala is great, especially when he was leading the Loketo franchise along with Arlus Mabele, late Jean Baron. Mack Mackay. There are great guitarist like Lokasa Yabongo, Dally Kimoko, Franco (O.K JAZZ)
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 5:37pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi: Diblo Dibala is great, especially when he was leading the Loketo franchise along with Arlus Mabele, late Jean Baron. Mack Mackay. There are great guitarist like Lokasa Yabongo, Dally Kimoko, Franco (O.K JAZZ)

Great now i confirm that you are well knowledgable about these artist. However do you by any chance know what killed Jean Baron? I have searched for information on that but none.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 5:41pm On Aug 03, 2014
It's difficult to get a pure and solid hundred percent highlife presently from crop of musicians this days. But I discovered a guy called Orji moore. His sound is great, his perculiar voice is different and the sound production is crisp. His Ika Igbo accent may be too difficult for most Igbo folks to understand at first but I think that the guy has talent. Try him on youtube and tell me what you think.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 5:52pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:

[b]Lol. cheesy grin brother if you notice i indicated etc at the end. You are right on track and am pleased. Yeah the artiste you mentioned are great. Others are: Josky Kiambukuta Londa,Pierette Adams,manu dibango,kanda bongo man,Tshala Muana,Grand Kalle,Tabu Ley Rochereau....etc Some of these artist you will find some of their great albums on LP and thanks to my Dad who introduced these musics to me and am happy to have discovered them. I can still remember when i was passing Ojuelegba road some years ago and i heard a track of OK Jazz being played in a music store i had to stop by and the beautiful lady who happens to be the one in charge of sales noticed as i picked some of his CD's and as i was about leaving the store she asked who will listen to these musics shocked, i cheesy cheesy at her but she said these are papa's music now. But i told her she won't understand since she still belongs to the new school class. I am not a clubber so you won't expect i invest in such types of music because i don't feel them but rather good music. [/b]
Great stuff. I have a every single LP album of T.P.K OK Jazz led by Franco in the day when Madilu System, Sam Mangwana and Josky Kiambukuta was their three leading singers. Unfortunately Madilu System died in 2008, I think. Orchestre Veve and Orchestre Lipua Lipua were great. These guys led the foundation of faster pace sound of the 80s/90s created by the Paris base musicians like Loketo, Yondo Sister, Kofi Olomide, Logomba, Wenge Musica, Soukous Stars etc.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 5:57pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:

@ Eziachi i appreciate your comment. Well it depends on how your classify them but i still see them as highlife but the proper genre as you rightly said is either Soukous,Rumba,Zouk,etc. E.g Koffi Olomide is the King of Rumba,Monique seka and pierette Adams falls under Zouk/soukouss depending on the track played.
I agreed with you, it's very mucky at the moment, but in the past any music with keyboard is a way of identifying a music that isn't highlife etc. Until Sir Warrior introduced keyboard in 1981 and many Ghana highlife musician based in Aba and Onitsha did too, groups like Ashanti dance band, Okukuseku, City Boys, Mpese Mpese etc.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 6:00pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi: I agreed with you, it's very mucky at the moment, but in the past any music with keyboard is a way of identifying a music that isn't highlife etc. Until Sir Warrior introduced keyboard in 1981 and many Ghana highlife musician based in Aba and Onitsha did too, groups like Ashanti dance band, Okukuseku, City Boys, Mpese Mpese etc.

Cool brother and am impressed that am corresponding with someone that has really dig deep into original 100% African music.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 6:09pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:

Great now i confirm that you are well knowledgable about these artist. However do you by any chance know what killed Jean Baron? I have searched for information on that but none.
Over indulgence I think killed Jean Baron as with many African musicians. Too much smoking and drinking, endless touring to make ends meet due to piracy of their great works without taking care of their personal health, I think he developed kidney problems and wasn't discovered in time and treated swifly. My fovourite of his tracks are Mamie lolo, pardon and Patalon Mariba. I met Arlus Mabele in Paris in 2005, we had been friends since then. He was very sick for a while.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 6:13pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi: Over indulgence I think killed Jean Baron as with many African musicians. Too much smoking and drinking, endless touring to make ends meet due to piracy of their great works without taking care of their personal health, I think he developed kidney problems and wasn't discovered in time and treated swifly. My fovourite of his tracks are Mamie lolo and Patalon Mariba. I met Arlus Mabele in Paris in 2005, we had been friends since then. He was very sick for a while.

May the soul of Jean Baron RIP. That's the album you will find those tracks you mentioned.

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Lanceslot(m): 6:14pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi: Morocco and Ozoemena Nsugbe plays folklore or egwu Ekpili or ekpiri, its not highlife. Oliver started with folklore in the 60s in Aba, but abandoned it in 1976 when he embraced and branched into the highlife genre, after learning how to play guitar.
Thanks for the info.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 6:18pm On Aug 03, 2014
Lanceslot: Thanks for the info.
You are welcome bro.
I am afraid that the future is not bright for the heritage of our traditional musics, judging by some of the comments here. Even my scottish wife knew so much about highlife music more than most folks here, which is a shame really, but they knew every hip hop artist or music.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 6:19pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:

May the soul of Jean Baron RIP. That's the album you will find those tracks you mentioned.
Lol. grin grin Am listening to the LP now, which I dusted few minutes ago. Great stuff
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 6:21pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi:
Lol. grin grin Am listening to the LP now, which I dusted few minutes ago. Great stuff

cheesy cheesy you can say that again...Enjoy brother wink
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 6:31pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:

cheesy cheesy you can say that again...Enjoy brother wink
I cant tell you how disappoiunted I am with Sir Warriors children, especially Ajuzieogu, who I believe has a great music talent like his papa but they are very lazy gus.
I was attending an Igbo union party in Los Angeles in 2010 and I was told that Ajuziego will be playing and I was so excited to see one of great Sir Warrior kids play live. Only for him to turn up with mic in his hand singing over his father's records with no band, just CD playing in a set.

I was so disappointed and angry and I called him afterward and gave him a piece of my mind to go back home to Owerri and do his dad proud, sit down and write so serious highlife stuff if he is to be taken seriiously, not singing in parties collecting few dollars, here and there, when he had a name tag most people will die for in terms of music gentre of highlife.
He apologised, lol grin.
And I believe he is still living in American singing in African bars and Igbo parties. Great disappointment.

Don't get me started with his big brother Uche, who along with Dan Satch kept soiling the great image of Oriental Brothers franchise with their endless cheap video production of all the past great works of the band. Worst part being, Dan Satch pretending to be a singer. grin grin
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 6:38pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi:
I cant tell you how disappoiunted I am with Sir Warriors children, especially Ajuzieogu, who I believe has a great music talent like his papa but they are very lazy gus.
I was attending an Igbo union party in Los Angelles in 2010 and I was told that Ajuziego will be playing and I was so excited to see one of great Sir Warrior kids play life. Only for him to turn up with mic in his hand singing over his fathers music record.
I was so disappointed and angry and I called him afterward and gave him a piece of my mind to go back home to Owerri and do his dad proud, sit down and write so serious highlife stuff if he is to be taken seriious, not singing in parties collecting few dollar when he had a name most people will do for in terms of muisc gentre of highlife.
He apologise, lol grin. And I believe he still live in American singing in African bars and Igbo parties. Great disappointment.

Don't get me started with his big brother Uche, who along with Dan Satch has been soiling the great image of Oriental Brothers franchise with their endless cheap video production of all the past great works of the band, even Dan Satch pretending to be a singer. grin grin

Brother that's what is happening these days. Atleast he's recycling the late dad's music rather than joining the new generation hip-pop artist that i do not know what they are singing. You are making me LOL @ Uche pretending to be a singer grin grin
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by ceaser: 7:34pm On Aug 03, 2014
GudluckIBB:

Mbillia bell is one of the biggest female musicians in Africa. she has wonderful tracks like boya ye which you just mentioned
I have over 30 tracks of mbilia bell and I can tell you she is a genius.she was once a back up singer to tabu ley who later married her and produced ht tracks for her.try and listen to" MARIO" I'm Sure you will hate the likes of tonto dike after listening to that track.

Tonto ke?! Do I even know the face to that name? I've only been hearing her name on Nairaland.

Abegi, I'll need Mbilia tracks from you o. Let's commune. I'm on smartintelle at gmail dot com
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2014
ceaser:

Tonto ke?! Do I even know the face to that name? I've only been hearing her name on Nairaland.

Abegi, I'll need Mbilia tracks from you o. Let's commune. I'm on smartintelle at gmail.com

grin grin @ the bolded
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by GudluckIBB(m): 7:56pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi:
Onyeka Onwenu doesn't play highlife. You can call her music, Nigeria or African pop. Sonny Okosun plays no highlife, he plays also afropop of afrobeat.

Eziachi.pls I'm going to send you a mail tomorrow as well .You guys are genius in deep rooted african songs
Bravo bro
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by ceaser: 7:57pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:

grin grin @ the bolded

Na true o. In fact with the popularity she had on Nairaland, I planned to search the internet for her face one of these days just so to satisfy my curiosity.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 8:02pm On Aug 03, 2014
GudluckIBB:

Eziachi.pls I'm going to send you a mail tomorrow as well .You guys are genius in deep rooted african songs
Bravo bro

Eziachi has really dug deep. I have no doubt that he's a genius like you rightly said. I appreciate people like him because most people that appreciates African musics as listed on this thread tend to have different lifestyle compared to the hip-pop world.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 8:04pm On Aug 03, 2014
ceaser:
Na true o. In fact with the popularity she had on Nairaland, I planned to search the internet for her face one of these days just so to satisfy my curiosity.

LOL...well again i don't have interest in all these new generational artist atleast non for now so you can never find any of their CD's in my collections not even 1.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Ruuchiinaa: 10:12pm On Aug 03, 2014
What of Christy Essien Igbokwe(R.I.P) and the likes of Terry G, Face(kolomental), Daddy Showkey? etc. The last 3 musician's music mentioned dey give a HIGH LIFE to some birds of same feather (Lolz)
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by ugochukwu360(m): 10:31pm On Aug 03, 2014
GudluckIBB:

Its sunny Oti---late night husband
Though am a child of d 90's, the musician whose song has dat lyrics is Nelly Uchendu d love nwantinnti crooner av nt heard mmuch of sunny oti so i dnt knnw if he also has a song wit d same lyrics

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by ugochukwu360(m): 10:41pm On Aug 03, 2014
Processor01: Osadebe is the greatest and best of them all!

The wisdom and truth in his music is unparalleled. Oliver should have just let him be! I started playing and listening to other genres of music due to plenty complaints from 'young minds'.

Except in the kick off phase of his career, Osadebe never just sang for singing sake.
Pls sir wat do u mean by the statement "Oliver should have just let him be" ?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 10:48pm On Aug 03, 2014
GudluckIBB:

Bravo bro
Thanks, though I have lived in Europe for more than 40 years now, but I have never left African music and roots reggea. Ask me anything about African music especially Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, Mali, Congolese or East African beat (Kenya, Zimbabwe, Uganda) I will do my best to answer you to the best of my ability, as long as it's pure African music.

Having said that, what I appreciate sin music is the effort, talent and creativity. One of my great niece visited me from home when I had my leg amputation recently and gave me some modern music by some artist I never knew before (Mr Raw, Ramsome and ND Stanley Nnorom) I actually enjoyed some of the tracks from their albums because of the effort I felt that went into their works. Tracks like Turu Ugo by Mr Raw was very well written and produced, I particularly like. Also Arabanko by ND Stanley Nnorom was also great.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 11:13pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:

Lol. cheesy grin brother if you notice i indicated etc at the end. You are right on track and am pleased. Yeah the artiste you mentioned are great. Others are: Josky Kiambukuta Londa,Pierette Adams,manu dibango,kanda bongo man,Tshala Muana,Grand Kalle,Tabu Ley Rochereau....etc.
-
If you like Kanda Bongo Man, you will love Zitany Neil. Allain Kounkou derived his style from Zitany. Do you know that Awilo Logomba's big brother was one of the original member of Zaiko Langa Langa? and briefly played with Orchestre Veve too, he died in a car crash while touring in Zimbabwe in the early 80s.
Do you know about a special genre from Cameroon other than the well knowm Makosa? Its called Bikutsi. The best Bikutsi genre musician I can tell you is Nkodo Sitony. Check him out, you will be blown away. Look for the track Mayange wa first.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by makazona(m): 11:15pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi:
Onyeka Onwenu doesn't play highlife. You can call her music, Nigeria or African pop. Sonny Okosun plays no highlife, he plays also afropop of afrobeat.

thank u very Nna anyi Eziachi for that expose...op u r healthy sir
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 11:18pm On Aug 03, 2014
makazona:

thank u very Nna anyi Eziachi for that expose...op u r healthy sir
Thank you sir. Am doing great.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 11:50pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi:

Sir i must say you're very knowledgable in african style of music, good to have you here. Am a guitarist though i play mostly Nigerian highlife, i just discovered the music called soukous some months back and i've been trying to learn the guitar lines and pattern. I do enjoy congolese music but the language is a big barrier!
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by UnknownT: 11:58pm On Aug 03, 2014
I really enjoyed some Ijaw highlife i got wen i served in delta state but unfortunately my memory card got corrupt and every files wiped and i weeped. Though i neva undastood jack they were singing but i just love them
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by ceaser: 3:40am On Aug 04, 2014
@GudluckIBB, @eyop and other fans on the thread. I have need for a number of tracks. I have them on my LP collection though but I'll prefer to have them in good quality, stereo digital. I had a few of them downloaded in audio format from you tube but the quality isn't encouraging and so mono channel. Funny enough I took pictures of some album covers from my LP collection few days ago hoping to show whoever cares to help that I'm in need of those albums in good quality digital, I didn't even foresee bumping into a thread with similar vision. So pls anyone, any good quality tracks you possess of these artistes will do. Thanks
Akeeb Kareem "Africa awake"
Tunji Oyelana "Voster & Smith Must Reason"
Osita Osadebe
Onyeka Onwenu
Bongos Ikwue
Lijadu Sisters
Barrister "Barry Wonder at 40"
Okosuns (Not the christian praise remixes o grin )
Kollington Ayinla "Ìté l'órùn"
Tunji Animasahun
Yvonne Chaka Chaka
@GudluckIBB, don't forget my Mbilia tracks o. Conversations are welcomed on smartintelle at gmail dot com.

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by polarman(m): 12:41pm On Aug 04, 2014
laudate:

Thank you, thank you for recalling these great old men of music. Do you still remember Bobby Benson's song "Taxi Driver?" cool

Yes oo!!! If you marry taxi-driver, I don't care. Thank you Laudate, Yo are great. I would also like to remind you of Onilegogoro. may God bless these greats of Highlife Music.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by polarman(m): 12:44pm On Aug 04, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Ambrose Campbell is dead.

Oh, I am sorry for the misinformation. @OrlandoOwoh, Thank you for the correction.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Naira Marley’s 'Soapy' Ranked Most Played Song In Nigeria / Lyrics of Nigerian and Foreign Songs Compared / List Of Winners At VGMA 2019 As Burna Boy Wins African Artiste Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.