Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers (29883 Views)

Where Can L Download Lgbo Highlife Music From? / Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? / Classic Highlife Music (this Is Old School) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by makazona(m): 4:08pm On Aug 02, 2014
shadowwalker101: [img]http://www.?aff=391[/img] I dont like high life

though its nt compulsory,may we pls knw ur reason(s)
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:08pm On Aug 02, 2014
polarman: I am really surprised to see this thread. It shows that many people are getting more matured at heart. Highlife music is a real great genre. I have seen many greats but we have forgotten THE GREATS of highlife. Do you remember names like E.C Arinze, Tunde Osofisan (still lives in Festac,if my memories are still sharp), The late Zeal Onya (The trumpeter of great repute), Y.S Akinbo (Fela's Saxophonist of Ojuelegba) - he plays some beautiful highlife, Ambrose Campbell (of the Oh Bladi, Oh Blada song, still alive in USA), E.T Mensah (the King of Ghana Highlife), Bobby Benson (Ikorodu man with a large presence in Fadeyi Area of lagos).

The Pre- and Early Independence years were the Highlife era but the tides have changed to Hip-hop (where everyone hips and hops to music). A horns man so i know why i have spoken about these greats.
Ambrose Campbell is dead.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:14pm On Aug 02, 2014
etebefia: yes flavour might not be highlife artist, but if you are used to listening flavour and osadebe then you'll realise that flavour gets his beats from osadebe tracks just like J. Martins gets his beats from Onyeka onwenu and nelly uchendu tracks
If getting similar beats with some highlife musicians is what makes Flavour a highlife musician, then you don't know what highlife is. Each highlife, juju, etc musician has a beat peculiar to them. When I hear the beat of any highlife musician before he starts singing, I will be able to say who the musician is.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by zena2009(f): 4:18pm On Aug 02, 2014
Bright chimezie,Edu Ghana & Lagaja.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:19pm On Aug 02, 2014
Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson was crowned king of highlife in Roadhouse Hotel, Mushin in 1964. Before then he was crowned cardinal (just like in Catholic) in the Eastern Region.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by LeoFish92(m): 4:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
Onyiibazz:

Wow, nice to find a lead guitarist here. Am also a lead guitarist, i also play bass too. Do you play in shows? And which side do you reside?
I just downloaded the song now. Try this link http://a1.my.naij.com/download/a/mk/jy/ee/8p/mkjyee8p/name/Array+-+Eddie+Quansa%28music.naij.com%29.mp3

my brother nice to meet you too here, I play bass, lead and keyboard, though am most adept at western style of play but nevertheless I still enjoy dishing out highlife tunes, I reside in Enugu
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by adiong: 4:32pm On Aug 02, 2014
E T Mensah of Ghana i LOVE highlife music my late father tought me how to dance highlife music
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 02, 2014
lynpetra: saro wiwa,Oliver d cocque,Bright chimezie
There is this ibo song of my dad i really love to listen to and i think it goes like this"Ilo ilo jo nsi,ilo umu uwa n'ilo,e ma ihe jonaricha njo n'uwa bu n'oyi gi iwe n'elo gi ilo,maka oyi gi mara iru n'azu gi..." cheesy.Love the lyrics...touching!
Sisi Lynnie, it's by Celestine ukwu. That man is a core philosopher. I have all his music on my phone, tablet,laptop and ipod.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by GudluckIBB(m): 5:20pm On Aug 02, 2014
Eyop: Interesting...I love highlife and as a matter of fact am an 100% Old skool person and don't belong to the 21st century kind of music(musics that doesn't last maximum 6months no one hears of it again). My favourites are musics from my DRC brothers and so many other African music not necessarily Nigerian artiste. The below are some of my favourite artist that i have their albums right from the 60's till date:

(1) Koffi Olomide
(2) Franco Luambo Makiadi AKA OK'Jazz
(3) Bopol Mansiamina
(4) Nyboma
(5) Doctor Nico
(6) Monique Seka
(7) Diblo Dibala
(cool Tchico Tchicaya
(9) Freddy de Majunga
(10) Jean Baron(Et Le Groupe Loketo)
(11) Aurlus Mabele
(12) Mbilia Bel
(13)Zaiko Langa Langa
Etc Etc Etc cheesy grin

Brother,we are in the same line.i will give you 99 percent for the names you mentioned.i would have given you 100 percent but you failed to mentioned Sam mangwana,yondo sisters,Salif Keita,yousou n dour,madilu system.oliver n Goma,danielst ntesa,djanka biadate, e.t.c,e.t.c,e.t.c.
Send me your email address,let's talk as matured men who loves good music.

And for the association of wine your waist and pop the champagne in a d club listeners,this post is not for you.
Matured men are analyzing music here,if you are not in this genre,pls go to the next page

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 5:29pm On Aug 02, 2014
LeoFish92:
my brother nice to meet you too here, I play bass, lead and keyboard, though am most adept at western style of play but nevertheless I still enjoy dishing out highlife tunes, I reside in Enugu

Thats good, am not too good in western though, i stay in Enugu too, Nsukka
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by LeoFish92(m): 5:44pm On Aug 02, 2014
Onyiibazz:

Thats good, am not too good in western though, i stay in Enugu too, Nsukka
wow...how long have you been playing lead?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 5:50pm On Aug 02, 2014
LeoFish92:

Since 2010, i play mostly with bands. You?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:50pm On Aug 02, 2014
peppyluv02: Actually,I'v forgotten my password to this nl email acc. But I replied you through the mail add I saw on your profile.

Peppyluv02, how are you? I'm currently listening to Oriental Brothers. Sir Warrior was a good vocalist.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 5:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
LeoFish92:
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 5:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
GudluckIBB:

Brother,we are in the same line.i will give you 99 percent for the names you mentioned.i would have given you 100 percent but you failed to mentioned Sam mangwana,yondo sisters,Salif Keita,yousou n dour,madilu system.oliver n Goma,danielst ntesa,djanka biadate, e.t.c,e.t.c,e.t.c.

And for the association of wine your waist and pop the champagne in a d club listeners,this post is not for you.
Matured men are analyzing music here,if you are not in this genre,pls go to the next page

[b]Lol. cheesy grin brother if you notice i indicated etc at the end. You are right on track and am pleased. Yeah the artiste you mentioned are great. Others are: Josky Kiambukuta Londa,Pierette Adams,manu dibango,kanda bongo man,Tshala Muana,Grand Kalle,Tabu Ley Rochereau....etc Some of these artist you will find some of their great albums on LP and thanks to my Dad who introduced these musics to me and am happy to have discovered them. I can still remember when i was passing Ojuelegba road some years ago and i heard a track of OK Jazz being played in a music store i had to stop by and the beautiful lady who happens to be the one in charge of sales noticed as i picked some of his CD's and as i was about leaving the store she asked who will listen to these musics shocked, i cheesy cheesy at her but she said these are papa's music now. But i told her she won't understand since she still belongs to the new school class. I am not a clubber so you won't expect i invest in such types of music because i don't feel them but rather good music. [/b]
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by SeunMighty(m): 6:04pm On Aug 02, 2014
Yea!Higlife music is far better than all these meaningless hip hop we listen to dis days.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 02, 2014
[quote
author=chimoz]
Sisi Lynnie, it's by Celestine ukwu. That man is a core philosopher. I
have all his music on my phone, tablet,laptop and ipod.[/quote]Wow.I love the music.It softens my emotions.I love the way it takes me beyond,after life itself!Its a sad but a philosophical song as u said.Very reflective song.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 6:20pm On Aug 02, 2014
GudluckIBB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTLRqIkbL4
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
I'm fine. Thank you but don't ask again angry

OrlandoOwoh:
Peppyluv02, how are you? I'm currently listening to Oriental Brothers. Sir Warrior was a good vocalist.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:49pm On Aug 02, 2014
peppyluv02: I'm fine. Thank you but don't ask again angry

Ogini me i ji zam?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by makazona(m): 6:57pm On Aug 02, 2014
wow.I MADE FRONT PAGE AGAIN OO.I dedicate this "feat"to
=all highlife lovers
=all instrumentalist on nairaland
=my lovely wife-to-be
=Airtel for d data
and most importantly,
ALL VICTIMS OF INSURGENCY IN NIGERIA
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by makazona(m): 7:03pm On Aug 02, 2014
lynpetra: saro wiwa,Oliver d cocque,Bright chimezie
There is this ibo song of my dad i really love to listen to and i think it goes like this"Ilo ilo jo nsi,ilo umu uwa n'ilo,e ma ihe jonaricha njo n'uwa bu n'oyi gi iwe n'elo gi ilo,maka oyi gi mara iru n'azu gi..." cheesy.Love the lyrics...touching!

thats Celestine Ukwu....Ilo
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by makazona(m): 7:13pm On Aug 02, 2014
Onyiibazz: I play lead guitar and bass guitar in shows here in the east. And for this, highlife lines must be running in your veins. The most highlife songs we normally play include osadebe's ebezina, onuigbo and agbalu aka n'azo ani. My group mainly plays oriental brothers' songs, almost all their songs. But you can hardly see any band playing Oliver de Coque's songs because of the complex ensemble you need for that and also his complex congolese style lead lines. Ogbogu Okonji is also good, his tracks like ndi uka and ada n'egbu azu. We also play smart williams songs and Victor uwaifo's guitar boy and zoro mi are also inevitables. My bongo brothers from Owerri, sunny bobo and Ababa Nna and others. But personally my best still remains Oriental brothers even though i dont understand their language atimes!

i guess u are an Anambra musician cz they are the ones that consistently feature Smart Williams esp Ndokwa ba mmanma etc.i am also a Bassist...
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by engrfcuksmtin(m): 7:17pm On Aug 02, 2014
Orlando Owoh.............
Ero ki yeye mi
Iyawo Olele
E get as e be
Ganja I and II
Jealousy Jealousy
and lots more................
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by regirich(m): 7:25pm On Aug 02, 2014
Walahi...I love highlife music no B small...my darling oriental brothers,Ali chukwuma,osa nkwa and dee oliver...pls any1 wit a beta link of downloading highlife music shld pls share.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 7:29pm On Aug 02, 2014
makazona:

i guess u are an Anambra musician cz they are the ones that consistently feature Smart Williams esp Ndokwa ba mmanma etc.i am also a Bassist...

Nice meeting you here bro! Am actually from Ebonyi state. The thing is that once you're a musician, you need to be versatile with as many songs as possible. Ije love from smart williams is also another popular one!
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by GudluckIBB(m): 7:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
Eyop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTLRqIkbL4

Thank You so much fohe video.I'm so happy to meet a genius like you who understands and knows african music to the core.
I have spent money in stocking up my library.How can we meet so that we can exchange songs.I live in Lagos as well.
I have loads of victor uwaifo and other African songs.You are a genius my brother.
African songs gives you good rythm, nice vocals, guitar and percusions.Even though I don't understand lyrics,its still still better than most of present day songs which what they sings practically makes no meaning
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by ugochukwu360(m): 8:08pm On Aug 02, 2014
mamziii: pls ders dis song,not so sure who sang it it goes like. If u want 2 marry a husband make u no mari waka about,if u mari waka about o na so so trouble trouble trouble,na trouble trouble trouble double wahala,na so so trouble trouble trouble
dats Nelly Uchendu' wakabout.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by holums(m): 8:10pm On Aug 02, 2014
I really miss highlife music........gone are those when father was playing them while I was a kid.....the likes of Osita Osadebe, Bobby Benson, Chris Ajilo, J.O Araba, Victor Coker, Victor Olaiya, Roy Chicago, Rex Lawson (original singer of sawale),Nelly Uchendu, Orlando Julius, Femi Esho, Tunji Oyelana, Fela, Oliver de coque, Celestine Ukwu and Ambrose Campbell etc
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by holums(m): 8:22pm On Aug 02, 2014
mamziii: pls ders dis song,not so sure who sang it it goes like. If u want 2 marry a husband make u no mari waka about,if u mari waka about o na so so trouble trouble trouble,na trouble trouble trouble double wahala,na so so trouble trouble trouble

Nelly Uchendu of blessed memory!
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 8:23pm On Aug 02, 2014
GudluckIBB:

Thank You so much fohe video.I'm so happy to meet a genius like you who understands and knows african music to the core.
I have spent money in stocking up my library.How can we meet so that we can exchange songs.I live in Lagos as well.
I have loads of victor uwaifo and other African songs.You are a genius my brother.
African songs gives you good rythm, nice vocals, guitar and percusions.Even though I don't understand lyrics,its still still better than most of present day songs which what they sings practically makes no meaning

Brother i will inbox you. However enjoy Quadra Kora man,Mopao Mokonzi...the King of Rumba cheesy grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81lS90peec0
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by GudluckIBB(m): 8:47pm On Aug 02, 2014
ugochukwu360: dats Nelly Uchendu' wakabout.

Its sunny Oti---late night husband

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

American Military Officers Perform Ayra Starr’s Rush (video) / Naira Marley’s 'Soapy' Ranked Most Played Song In Nigeria / Lyrics of Nigerian and Foreign Songs Compared

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.